No announcement yet.

Small Mod compilation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I was trying to keep my game as frills-free as I could. Which kinda brings up another quick question maybe someone could answer for me.

I'm not using the "RT World" lights setting in DarkPlaces, mostly because my machine can't handle it and still run the game as super-fast as I want it. And I notice that all these map textures and model textures have slightly different duplicates with longer names containing things like "gloss", "norm", "glow", etc. Since I'm never gonna be running the real time lights and shadows, are any of these extra textures even necessary for a guy like me? I notice that whenever my pk3 containing all map textures is in the id1 folder and I go to start the game, it takes a good bit longer to load everything. I'm hoping if I were to be able to remove unnecessary textures it might speed up the load time.

Anyway, at this point I've got most of the 100% necessary things picked out, weapon models, ammo/health boxes, map textures, HUD graphics, hi-res monsters, translucent water. Everything but new sounds. So now I'm at the point where I've finally loaded up the Small Mod Compilation and I'm playing around with it to see if there's any "extra" (unnecessary, but pretty) type of stuff. Problem with using the SMC pk3 and just turning off all the stuff I don't want via a config is that all that content is still in there and probably still loading into the game, which is gonna effect load times, right?

Comment

• @focalor

No, seven has coded the smc so that only modelz, textures and sounds from features that are enabled get pre-cached.

So if you disable A feature, The models,sound,textures associated with the disabled feature Will NOT get pre-cached and thus wont add to loading-times

In standard quake everything doez get pre-cached regardless of A model/sound/textureactually being used in the map,
      But seven went out of his way to optomize the smc to make load-timez shorter by only making stuff used in A map getting pre-cached
      Last edited by talisa; 08-04-2016, 02:08 PM.
      are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
      > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
      everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

• Alright, that's pretty cool. I'll probably end up keeping it intact then. I already had the Pretty Water in my main install of Q1. But I wasn't able to figure out to get the splash and ripple effects in water to work like what I saw in the Quake HD Pack. Now that I've got this SMC in there, it ripples and splashes properly.

But my other question still stands. If I've got "RT World" lighting OFF, is it necessary to keep these "gloss" "norm" "glow" and "luma" versions of map and model textures? Or maybe more specifically, could someone briefly explain what each of these types of textures are for?

Comment

• Little issue with SMC. At first, the SMC pk3 was using the backpack model contained in it instead of the backpack model I put in my "objects.pk3". I renamed "Quake_V5.30_small-mod-compilation_Seven.pk3" to "aaa_Quake_V5.30_small-mod-compilation_Seven.pk3" to make it load first so that my objects.pk3 (and all other custom pk3's) would overwrite it, and that worked. However, there seems to be some kind of issue with the dog model now. I'm using the Reforged Bestiary pk3 too, so I guess what's probably happening is the dog model contained in the SMC pk3 is texture mapped differently and that's why the model is displaying the skin incorrectly. I've hunted through the smc_config and found the cvar "dog_extended_newmodel" and set it to 0. The most obvious solution is to simply remove the dog models from the SMC pk3. Is there maybe another cvar I'm not seeing that will work around having to delete anything?

Comment

• what you are getting is not an SMC bug, but it is what happens when you try using a skin made for the default dog-model with capnbubs dog model.....

capnbubs dog model is NOT compatible with textures made for the original ID1 dog model since it has a completely redone UV-mapping

the issue is related to the fact that capnbubs model is not an md3 but an mdl
            and thus if any textures called dog.mdl_* are found, darkplaces will use them on the model.

if you have any textures called dog.mdl_* anywhere, delete them and the issue will dissapear
            as the model will use the default texture thats embedded in the mdl itself
            are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
            > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
            everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

• Originally posted by Focalor View Post
              If I've got "RT World" lighting OFF, is it necessary to keep these "gloss" "norm" "glow" and "luma" versions of map and model textures? Or maybe more specifically, could someone briefly explain what each of these types of textures are for?
              Copied from Darkplaces readme section:
              Code:
              _norm.tga - normalmap (can have alpha channel with bumpmap height for offsetmapping/reliefmapping)
              _bump.tga - bumpmap (not loaded if normalmap is present)
              _gloss.tga - gloss map, also known as specular color map (the color of reflected light)
              _glow.tga - glow map (use _luma if tenebrae compatibility is a concern)
              _luma.tga - alternate tenebrae-compatible name for glow map (use one or the other)
              If you only play with rt world disabled the _gloss textures will have no effect for you. While the _glow textures will still keep their effect in-game.

By the way, also the _normal or _bump textures will not have much effect for you without realtime lighting or dlights. Some people say that the realtime lighting feature is one of the most impressive feature from Darkplaces and that is what makes it stands out from the others.

Originally posted by Focalor View Post
              Little issue with SMC. At first, the SMC pk3 was using the backpack model contained in it instead of the backpack model I put in my "objects.pk3".
              It is not an issue. It is a feature !
              Please read the "backpack" feature in the smc_config.cfg. It speaks about "floating on water", "spinning", "shootable" and so on. cvar is enabled by default.
              It needs a special model positioning/treatment for this feature, so I had to use a custom one. With the regular model, the backpack will not float correctly in water, etc.
              So, if you want to use this feature, you need the included "backpack1.mdl" or modify another model that you want to use instead the same way as the included "backpack1.mdl" is.
              I chose the included model as it is the best I could find.

I renamed "Quake_V5.30_small-mod-compilation_Seven.pk3" to "aaa_Quake_V5.30_small-mod-compilation_Seven.pk3"
              First of all, why do you use an outdated version ?
              v5.41 update is the newest final (downloadable from the same link as v5.30). And v5.50 beta3 is the newest version (until today no bug reports).

Secondly, please do NOT rename the SMC files. Otherwise updates will not work. It is also written/described in the "update" versions.

There seems to be some kind of issue with the dog model now. I'm using the Reforged Bestiary pk3 too, so I guess what's probably happening is the dog model contained in the SMC pk3 is texture mapped differently and that's why the model is displaying the skin incorrectly. I've hunted through the smc_config and found the cvar "dog_extended_newmodel" and set it to 0. The most obvious solution is to simply remove the dog models from the SMC pk3. Is there maybe another cvar I'm not seeing that will work around having to delete anything?
              For a detailed answer, please follow this link: click

Short answer:
              The original Quake dog model has a horrible uv-mapping. Even with QRP replacement skin it looks totally out of place (especially the face). Capnbubs made an absolutely faithful replacement dog model which is better in every aspect compared to the original dog model !
              His dog model is included in the SMC, as there is no reason to use the original dog model any longer. I suggest to delete your QRP dog skins and keep the SMC as it is.

Regarding the "dog_extended_newmodel":
              This is a different model with extended features and has nothing to do with above point. Find a screenshot of the new extended dog in the opening post of this threat.
              By setting this cvar to 0 will ignore that dog and only use the regular dog (which is Capnbubs model as explained above).

I suggest to use the 'Starter Kit´s' for monsters and weapons (included in the initial download).
              It makes fully use of SMC´s multimodel/multiskin feature (have different models/skins for each monster type at the same time in a map for big variation. And you do not need to use only 1 model/skin but many different.) and adds special visual weapon features (please read readme.txt point 7. for more details).

Have fun,
              Seven

Comment

• Originally posted by Seven View Post
                Some people say that the realtime lighting feature is one of the most impressive feature from Darkplaces and that is what makes it stands out from the others.
                Sure, it's cool, but my video card is an AMD Radeon HD 6450. It's crap. It'll run DarkPlaces with RT lighting and shadows, but not at any speed that would make the game "playable".

Originally posted by Seven View Post
                Please read the "backpack" feature in the smc_config.cfg. It speaks about "floating on water", "spinning", "shootable" and so on. cvar is enabled by default.
                I did read it, and I turned it off. I was more or less looking to keep the gameplay as faithful to the original version of the game as possible. I also turned off all the new monsters (too Hexen-y), death animations (too Blood-y), kickable gibs (too FIFA-y), slime poisoning, burning corpses, etc, anything not found in original Quake.

First of all, why do you use an outdated version ?

v5.41 update is the newest final (downloadable from the same link as v5.30). And v5.50 beta3 is the newest version (until today no bug reports).

Secondly, please do NOT rename the SMC files. Otherwise updates will not work. It is also written/described in the "update" versions.
                Why? Because I'm fucking stupid, I guess, lol. I guess I saw that one file was 300+mb and the other was 10mb, so I picked the bigger one. Just now downloaded the update add-on. After looking through it, doesn't look like anything I'd use anyway. Mostly, I just want the fancy special effects, nothing that will change the look or feel from the original game too much. Maybe later, I'll play through with all the added stuff. See, back in the day, the only part of Q1 I ever played was the shareware 1st episode. So now I'm finally getting around to playing through the ENTIRE game for the first time. I'm 20 years late, but oh well.

Short answer:
                The original Quake dog model has a horrible uv-mapping. Even with QRP replacement skin it looks totally out of place (especially the face). Capnbubs made an absolutely faithful replacement dog model which is better in every aspect compared to the original dog model !
                His dog model is included in the SMC, as there is no reason to use the original dog model any longer. I suggest to delete your QRP dog skins and keep the SMC as it is.
                Yeah, that higher-poly model looks a little better, but if I go tossing out my QRP dog skin, then all the other models will look undead zombie-ish and the dog will look all normal.

The link to "Fraggers Quake Skins" is down in the Definitive HD Replacement thread, but I was able to find them on ModDB. I'll give em a try.

Comment

• Hello Focalor,

Yes, tha

Comment

• Hello Focalor,

Yes, that is the main idea behind the SMC: To be able to adjust Quake and all additional features to your personal likings / skills.

If you are focused on "special effects" mainly, then I can only recommend using the SMC v5.41 update.
                    Mainly because of these additions:
                    - Improved blood effects when shooting enemies.
                    - Animated HUD effects.
                    - Bleeding gibs may also catch your interest but it is not very spectacular
                    - Last but not least, v5.41 has the particle amount/quantity cvar defined for which the SMC was designed.

Important:
                    V5.41 has an updated smc_config.cfg, which you should use as base !
                    But you do NOT need to go through it all again and make your edits (as the smc_config.cfg is quite long) if you are using a diff tool. You only need to compare your personally edited smc_config.cfg from v5.30 with the default smc_config.cfg from v5.41
                    The diff tool will display both side by side and highlight all differences. You can easily add the new v5.41 cvars into your personally edited smc_config.cfg from v5.30.
                    A popular freeware diff tool is WinMerge for example.
                    WinMerge is an Open Source differencing and merging tool for Windows.
                    WinMerge can compare both folders and files, presenting differences in a visual text format that is easy to understand and handle.

I personally use Beyond Compare for coding and working all the time. It has some advances over WinMerge but it costs money.
                    WinMerge is absolutely enough for comparing 2 simple config aka .txt files.

Be also sure to use the new torch model, that can be found in the "This and That ..." thread.
                    It was created after v5.41 release and therefore is not included in it. I recommend to use a tilted torch angle of 15° instead of 20° with it.

I now also made a hanging overhead fire / light:

Have fun,
                    Seven

Comment

I now also made a hanging overhead fire / light
                      This is a damn fine overhead lamp, yessirree!
                      ♪ I'm skiiiiiiinnin' in the pain, just skiiiiiiinnin' in the pain ♪
                      ♪ What a glorious feelin' I'm haaaaaaappy again ♪

Comment

• Sorry if this has been asked to death but could you upload a link to the "Quake1.5 meets smc" modification? if not, then can you at least see if you can tell me of you remember what you changed in the config file as to make them compatible? (shotgun and axe decals are black squares problem along with the required barrel adjustments)

Comment

• Originally posted by insightguy View Post
                          Sorry if this has been asked to death but could you upload a link to the "Quake1.5 meets smc" modification?
                          Quake1.5 is only a compilation of new weapon models.
                          You can use the SMC with every weapon model (original or replacement) !

Originally posted by insightguy View Post
                          Can you at least see if you can tell me of you remember what you changed in the config file as to make them compatible?
                          As mentioned, every weapon model can be used with the SMC.

Originally posted by insightguy View Post
                          shotgun and axe decals are black squares problem along with the required barrel adjustments
                          Yes, the author of the Quake1.5 weapon model pack doesnt seem to have a good insight of the SMC mod. His instructions in his readme are wrong and therefore will lead to black particles/decals when using other mods (such as the SMC).

Delete the "particles" subfolder in his .pk3 files to get close to what you are aiming for.
                          Best is to completely remove his "particles" and "effectinfo.txt" when you are using the SMC as they do not match.
                          The SMC has been updated several times since then anyway, so you want to use its new features and syntax blocks, dont you ?

Regarding the projectile & muzzleflash positioning to match the right sided weapon models:
                          The smc_config.cfg talks about them in detail and gives examples how to adjust them. If you need further help and assistance with it, feel free to ask. I will be happy to help.

Best wishes,
                          Seven

Comment

Quake1.5 is only a compilation of new weapon models.
                            You can use the SMC with every weapon model (original or replacement) !

As mentioned, every weapon model can be used with the SMC.

Yes, the author of the Quake1.5 weapon model pack doesnt seem to have a good insight of the SMC mod. His instructions in his readme are wrong and therefore will lead to black particles/decals when using other mods (such as the SMC).

Delete the "particles" subfolder in his .pk3 files to get close to what you are aiming for.
                            Best is to completely remove his "particles" and "effectinfo.txt" when you are using the SMC as they do not match.
                            The SMC has been updated several times since then anyway, so you want to use its new features and syntax blocks, dont you ?

Regarding the projectile & muzzleflash positioning to match the right sided weapon models:
                            The smc_config.cfg talks about them in detail and gives examples how to adjust them. If you need further help and assistance with it, feel free to ask. I will be happy to help.

Best wishes,
                            Seven
                            thanks

oh, and how do I disable the alternate models for the weapons in hypnotic and rouge?
                            Last edited by insightguy; 09-18-2016, 06:14 AM.

Comment

• Hello insightguy,

There are no alternate weapon models in the SMC (also not in the SMC mission pack builds) by default. So I do not understand your question.

If you see alternate/different weapon models in your Quake, then you are using weapon replacement models. Simply delete them to get rid of them.

Regards,
                              Seven

Comment

• Hi Seven.

Not sure where to post this so I figured I'll just put it here:

I wanted to use your FootstepsPlusNewfirePlusNailposition mod on a DP install that doesn't have SMC but didn't want to extract the .zip in my DP folder, so I downloaded PakScape to make a .pak of it according to your instructions in the readme.

Well it works but it's causing some odd glitches. In the original Quake start map for example, torches still have the polygon flame rotating inside the particle flame. And the particle flame itself has a weird shape, a bit like a feather duster. Isn't it the same effect as the one included in the SMC?

Also, I've played a real map with it and it wrecked the audio: knights made zombie sounds, etc... And the sounds kept on building up and overlapping each other, like they were stuck in a sonic funnel of sorts.

Any idea what this might be about? I'm using the 20140430 build, as instructed by Talisa.
                                ♪ I'm skiiiiiiinnin' in the pain, just skiiiiiiinnin' in the pain ♪
                                ♪ What a glorious feelin' I'm haaaaaaappy again ♪

Comment

Working...
                                X