Small Mod compilation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by hgdagon View Post
    How about a frontend for SMC??? 'Cause there's so many features already that editing each one manually takes a litle longer than one might like. I went through the cfg effectinfo's and ent's in about 2 hours. A frontend (configurator) would be great IMHO)))

I use notepad as my frontend.

But seriously, it makes not a big difference if you had a gui for that.
    Because of the descriptions.
    It is no secret, that almost nobody reads readme´s. So the description must be at least directly after the auto_cvars inside the autoexec.
    If it would not be there, people would have even more questions...

So, as a consequence, your gui would need to have these descriptions as well. And these are sometimes quite long, because I needed to explain some words what that auto_cvar does and so on.
    So your gui would need a big "description" window beside the active auto_cvar.
    If you look how the included sample autoexec is "designed", you will see that it summarizes auto_cvar´s in blocks to help the overview. And has the descriptions right after the auto_cvars.

In the beginning of the "small mod compilation" development, I did not have descriptions inside the autoexec. But after the auto_cvars became more and more it was unavoidable.

Nahuel offered to create a csqc menu for the "small mod compilation".
    That would be possible, but the description text would be a problem and beside that, the continued increase of auto_cvar amount would need parallel updates for that as well.

I am sorry that I could not make it easier to adjust the features.
    That is why I always thought quite long about their default setting. So that an adjustment is not necessary for the majority...
    But that is impossible.
    Some like it hot, some like it cold. We are all individuals.

I want to take the opportunity and thank Spike again, for creating the auto_cvar function and explaining me the usage in simple english words (I have problems with this language, hehe).
    The possibility to adjust a mods features is really unique and without it, the "small mod compilation" would have died a long time ago because of different personal likings of its users.

I hope that you have a little bit fun with the "small mod compilation" nonetheless.

Kind regards,
    Seven

Comment

• I have just tried the new Darkplaces build from March 1, and I have seen there are apparently some impacts on the visual improvements. So far I have only found one which affects the teleporter fog. The particles are much less numerous now.

Maybe it could be checked what changed and provide the necessary tweaks if possible?
      Authentic Models Pack
      OriOn's ID1 Model Fixes for MP1+2
      LIT/VIS files for Quake addons

Comment

• Hello Nightfright,

There is not really a reason to modify the effectinfo.txt.
        As you maybe have noticed, I usually point out in my posts that we are all individuals.
        We all have our personal likings. Some like it hot, some like it cold. Some like it dark, some like it bright.
        The "small mod compilation" is used by so many people, that you can never satisfy everybody.
        The particle effects adjustment is one of the easiest things to do, because you only need 1 file for it.
        So everybody can do it according their individual likings.
        One could never please everyone.

There are people in this forum who say that they have the "BEST" looking Quake. But this is only a personal opinion and most probably wrong for the majority of people.
        People take contents from this forum, make tiny changes and make new releases with it. Which is great for others, because at least the variations to choose from increases.

What I am trying do is to make things and possibilities for others to use and play/modify it if they want.
        I always include source codes and files, so that everybody can modify it to their personal liking. And the effectinfo.txt is a single file which you can exchange or modify just like you want easily.

Have fun with your Quake.
        Seven

Comment

• Dear all,

Last weekend I had some time and could not resist to tinker with this small idea I had.

Here is something new to play around with… maybe some of you like it.

With this small addon you have the ability to manipulate the time during certain conditions/occurrence in the game. For example, slow down time when gibbing enemies. Or when hurting/killing enemies if you prefer.
          I had the movie: "The Matrix" and the game: "Max Payne" in my mind during development. They introduced effects like these.
          You can fully adjust the slow motion effect properties, like:
          - duration of effect
          - time deceleration-factor (how slowly time becomes…)
          - effect condition/occurrence
          - chance/randomness to start the effect for each monster separately

Effects like these become boring quickly, when they happen too often, so default cvar values are set accordingly. I used a chance of 100% in the youtube clip below to better show the effect. Default chance/value is much lower.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0p3FdfrWCSw&list=UUbX7uVIXqMzBza0YmLJuMdw& index=1]Quake-slowmotion-effect - YouTube[/ame]

It is nothing special nor earth shaking, but maybe some like it or find it interesting to play around with...
          This update is already included in an improved version for your convenience.

DOWNLOAD

Kind regards,
          Seven

PS: There is also a secret Easter Egg feature implemented now, that can give you a visual adrenalin rush/shot when picking up quad or/and pent.
          Last edited by Seven; 03-17-2013, 10:14 AM. Reason: Updated link

Comment

• @Seven
            It's good. But could you, please, add a blur effect?? Am I asking too much? Because I don't master qc and don't know if it's hard or easy. Something like the blur effect in Painkiller...

chance/randomness to start the effect for each monster separately
            Maybe chances for all monster alltogether?
            Last edited by hgdagon; 03-11-2013, 12:47 PM.
            MOD it! Start Point Remake Quake Scout's Journey Quaketastic WhiteDay Quake Terminus UQE

Comment

• Originally posted by Seven View Post
              Dear all,

Last weekend I had some time and could not resist to tinker with this small idea I had.

With this small addon you have the ability to manipulate the time during certain conditions/occurrence in the game. For example, slow down time when gibbing enemies. Or when hurting/killing enemies if you prefer.
              I had the movie: "The Matrix" and the game: "Max Payne" in my mind during development. They introduced effects like these.
              - duration of effect

Effects like these become boring quickly, when they happen too often, so default cvar values are set accordingly. I used a chance of 100% in the youtube clip below to better show the effect. Default chance/value is much lower.

Quake-slowmotion-effect - YouTube

It is nothing special nor earth shaking, but maybe some like it or find it interesting to play around with...

DOWNLOAD

Kind regards,
              Seven

PS: There is also a secret Easter Egg feature implemented now, that can give you a visual adrenalin rush/shot when picking up quad or/and pent.
              Very Nice stuff seven i believe is time to CSQC support to SMC stuffcdm is really ugly to achieve this features
              the invasion has begun! hide your children, grab the guns, and pack sandwiches.

syluxman2803

Comment

• man you never run out of cool ideas!
                My Avatars!
                Quake Leagues
                Quake 1.5!!!
                Definitive HD Quake

Comment

• excellent work!
                  http://www.nextgenquake.com

Comment

• Originally posted by hgdagon View Post
                    But could you, please, add a blur effect?? Something like the blur effect in Painkiller...
                    Hello hgdagon,

Please click here or even better here to get an idea of the engines features, and you will find the blur effect you are looking for.

Originally posted by nahuel View Post
                    Very Nice stuff seven i believe is time to CSQC support to SMC
                    Hello Nahuel,

Yes sure, but that is your job
                    But honestly, the effect is already handled engine sided. I misuse DP´s feature for it.
                    The effect kicks in as it should. The end is a little bit too quick (because I jump from slow time to regular time in one step). It can be improved with some more lines to make smaller steps just before the end to get a more fluent switch to regular time speed again.

Thank you everybody.

Best wishes,
                    Seven

Comment

• fun idea seven

although i never really like slo-mo stuff much in games.

not cuz its not cool, but cuz nowadays litterally ever f-ing game out there has slow-mo, which makes it a bit boring.
                      its an effect which is to over-used which killed the awesome of it imo.

still a cool idea and a nice implementation. but slow-mo just doesnt belong in quake imo.

it was fun in the matrix, but thats where people shoulda stopped.
                      ever since the matrix every game needed to have slo-mo in some way in their game

your implentation kinda reminds me of one must fall 2097 though, an old fighting-game with robots.
                      where if you put some cheat-code you could configure that the game would get a brief pause every time you contacted a powerfull hit, was kinda cool for a bit. got boring quickly to constantly have brief pauses if you were a good fighter though, but it was a fun feature.

perhaps you could implent something like that in quake in some way?
                      that the world around the player pauses for like, a second or so upon gibbing an enemy?

just a random crazy idea i got when i saw your clip
                      Last edited by talisa; 03-12-2013, 12:30 PM.
                      are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
                      > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
                      everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

• Originally posted by Seven View Post
                        Dear all,

- duration of effect

Quake-slowmotion-effect - YouTube

DOWNLOAD

Kind regards,
                        Seven

Hi Seven,
                        I like it.
                        Your Test Start.map is very nice too!!
                        I should upload a video from my start map.
                        It looks very similar

Comment

• @Seven
                          I misunderstood some of the features, but now that I have played it, I'll say slo-mo works geat but I've had some issues....
                          Map e2m7
                          When shooting scrag got a message
                          "Player changed his name to progs/h_wizard.mdl"
                          It did feel like I was a headgib (only with a gun), I couldn't walk, only jump/bob. Monsters were detecting, running towards me, but didn't attack. I tried typing "name Player" and got a message "progs/h_wizard.mdl changed his name to Player" then (after a while) an error message saying that Player is not precached "Fix your code". Next day, map e2m4. The same thing happened with h_demon.mdl. Is this an SMC, Quake, or DP issue?????
                          MOD it! Start Point Remake Quake Scout's Journey Quaketastic WhiteDay Quake Terminus UQE

Comment

• Hello hgdagon,

If I remember correctly, someone else has also posted an issue like you described some time ago.

You know, these bugs, that occur occasionally are hard to catch, because you cannot easily reproduce them.
                            I will try to reproduce it myself and see if I can find the root cause for it.

I already have an idea what it could be...
                            Something I stumbled upon quite a long time ago (having to do with another topic with ezzetabi). If it goes in that direction, I think I can fix it.

Thank you for posting and giving feedback.
                            Seven

Comment

• I tried to simulate the issue and could reproduce it.

It happens occasionally when you kill a lot of monsters during a quite long time period. So to speak, a high "body-count" over a long time period.

The effect of the bug is:
                              Sometimes the corpses will be invisible and sometimes you are transformed into a head gib.

This confirmed my suspicion that it has its root cause in the "shootable corpses" feature. The vanilla "bodyque" function was misused for that feature.
                              The "bodyque" has a upper limit and therefore will begin to create weird things, when the corpses count reaches it, while the custom death animations and effects of the small mod compilation are still running. Because they are all (in one way or another) part of the shootable corpses feature, or better said: happen while the feature is active.

Normaly, the corpse simply fades out, when the "bodyque" limit is reached and a new "bodyque" is created. But in a worst case scenario (when the bug shows up) the custom after-death-effects are still playing when a new "bodyque" shall be started.

I think I could fix this bug.
                              Please use the attached fixed "progs.dat" for SMC V4.24 and see if you encounter any of those issues again (put it directly into your ID1 folder).

Download removed due to SMC update

Best wishes,
                              Seven
                              Last edited by Seven; 03-17-2013, 11:45 AM.

Comment

• i ran in to the issue too (player name changes) playing a map with a 100+ monsters in one map... where is the smc 4.24 the highest one i see in the first post is 4.15... also i have had issues after updating to the newest dp that the death effect with the ghost freezes on the way up (poor sole never makes it to heaven) also i was wondering where i gould find the file for the revenge attack and change the color from red to a Smokey gray making them look more ghost like

thanks for all your good work seven!

Comment

Working...
                                X