No announcement yet.

Small Mod compilation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm sorry, but does SMC already contain this effect - when lavanail sticks in the wall, then it burns just like hellknight's spike with that little fireball around it and black smoke (depends on effectinfo, I know)? I think I've seen it somewhere and it looked cool, but I can't remember is it true or not.

Comment

• This has nothing to do with small mod compilation.
      It is regular QuakeC behaviour.

DarkPlaces & FTE gives you the possibility to modify these standard Quake effects.

The standard Quake effect for nails impact on walls/meshes is:
      TE_SPIKE and TE_SUPERSPIKE

The standard Quake effect for Hellknight projectile impact on walls/meshes is:
      TE_KNIGHTSPIKE

What you want to do is (if you use DarkPlaces do it in effectinfo.txt):
      Copy the effect you are talking about from TE_KNIGHTSPIKE and paste it to TE_SPIKE and/or TE_SUPERSPIKE

That is it.

Be aware, that this will effect ALL nails if you use "Rogue" addon.
      There is no difference between lava nails and regular nails.

If you want to give this effect ONLY to lava nails, then you need a small QC change.
      Simply create a new custom effect and add it inside "LAVA_WPN.QC".

Comment

• Originally posted by Marsha View Post
        This has nothing to do with small mod compilation.
        It is regular QuakeC behaviour.
        If it is affordable for someone to have such effect for all type of nails, then all he gonna do is edit effectinfo.txt, and that's all! It is nothing to do with quakeC at all!
        But question was not about it.

If you want to give this effect ONLY to lava nails, then you need a small QC change.
        Simply create a new custom effect and add it inside "LAVA_WPN.QC".
        If you can do it - please, do! For me C listings are as understandable as Chinese letter.

Comment

• Originally posted by FC Zvyozdochka View Post
          It is nothing to do with quakeC at all!
          If you can do it - please, do! For me C listings are as understandable as Chinese letter.
          So you dont know anything about QC and say that "TE_SPIKE" has nothing to do with it ?

Well, then let me tell you that QC exactly coordinates all these things.
          It is the engine, that make modifications of TE_ & TR_ effects possible.
          Effectinfo.txt is just the way to communicate with the engine.
          But the engine will always listen to QC to know when and where to spawn the effects.

What if you delete the effect in QC ??
          You can modify your effectinfo.txt as much as you want, you will never see it in-game.

So please be careful with things that are "written in chinese letters".

But anyway, back to your request:
          Find the modified "LAVA_WPN.QC" attached.
          Together with the modified "effectinfo.txt".
          For both files, I used Seven´s V3.61 as base.

Now you have 2 new effects:
          - TE_LAVASPIKE
          - TE_LAVASUPERSPIKE

I hope you know how to compile the "progs.dat" out of it.
          Use the rest of Seven´s source for it (only exchange the "LAVA_WPN.QC").

This forum only allows 98 KB file attachments.

Enjoy.
          Attached Files

Comment

• Thanks Marsha, this looks great ingame!!

Comment

• hi

i tried this out...ooppee also had smoking lava nails before i think with a flag on the model.

this effect is nice...i love it

this effectinfo file is getting long, and shows the depth this mod has.

thanks

Sean

Last edited by seanstar; 01-03-2012, 07:33 PM.

Comment

• I never tried OoPpEe's version, but this is a very cool effect to have.

Comment

• Yep I once gave the lava nails the Death Knight's projectile attack trail

Comment

• Originally posted by OoPpEe View Post
                    Yep I once gave the lava nails the Death Knight's projectile attack trail
                    With trail? I have a pack with such lavanail model (OoPpEe-DoE-Weapons_ADDON-lsmoke.pk3). It is cool, but looks weird with Nexiuz particlefont and Sean's effectinfo which I prefer.
                    Thank you guys for all this

Comment

• Yes, I also gave my kids the hknights trail flag when they were young.
                      Just to better see them in the night when they play on the yard

Of course you should play around with giving strange flags to models.
                      But for laser or spikes I can only recommend not to.
                      You will not be happy with your fps...

But that is no longer necessary.
                      You dont need to stick to existing effects when trying out new model effects.
                      I can only repeat it again and again:
                      LordHavoc gave us: DP_ENT_TRAILEFFECTNUM

I asked him to create something like this exactly for that reason.

You can create a very simple effect in "effectinfo.txt", lets say a *hknight light* version (without light, that kills your fps; and less smoke quantity).
                      Call it: *spiketrail*

All you have to do is to add one single line to QC:
                      newmis.traileffectnum = particleeffectnum("spiketrail");
                      And you will have exactly what you need.

"Hardcoded" flag effects are no longer necessary.
                      They limit you too much.

There are already many samples in "small mod compilation" which make use of traileffectnum:
                      all items (powerups, keys, runes, ...)
                      gibs in lava/slime
                      burning debris (after explobox detonation)
                      flying skull

There is no limitation in your custom effects.
                      Please believe me.

And god is my witness, you will see the possibilities soon.

Best wishes,
                      Seven

Comment

• Glad to see you again Seven!

Comment

• Dear all,

I see that there have been some further suggestions for new features.

Please let me summarize them:
                          1.) Monsters take damage in lava/slime (by Bloodshot)
                          2.) Monsters will gib when falling into in lava/slime (by Bloodshot)
                          3.) Gibs get "destroyed" in lava/slime after some time (by FC xxx)
                          4.) Corpses does not have an effect in lava/slime (by Ghostbreed)
                          5.) When player is drowning, screen shall get darker (by Ghostbreed)
                          6.) implement an oxygen bar (by Nightfright)
                          7.) When player dies screen fades to red (by Bloodshot)
                          8.) Implement a special effect for lava nails impact (by FC xxx)

to 1.) & 2.) First of all, only one of both can be done. Depending on how much damage the lava gives in one hit, is responsible if a monster will gib or not.
                          My opinion about it: This will change the gameplay quite much.
                          You can (when using gyro "2") push them into slime or lava and watch them dying.
                          Yes, I know gyro itself is changing the gameplay dramatically !
                          That is why I always use default cvar values, that does NOT do it. (In this case: "1" and NOT "2")
                          I already wrote my thoughts about this suggestion here
                          So in short words: Yes I will look into it. But it will be a feature that you have to manually enable.
                          to 3.) I dont like it. I like the particle effect too much to change it.
                          You can always play around with them (even after they fell into lava/slime).
                          You can shoot/kick them out of it. "gibsduration" value is of course correctly considered.
                          to 4.) Quite similar to point 1.) & 2.)
                          to 5.) This cannot be done via a regular QC change I think.
                          You must use CSQC/SSQC to achieve it (or via engine of course).
                          to 6.) Nahuel did it already. You must use CSQC/SSQC to achieve it (or via engine of course). Find the mod here
                          to 7.) It is availabe already:
                          cl_deathfade is "0" ["0"] fade screen to dark red when dead, value represents how fast the fade is (higher is faster)
                          to 8.) Done by my friend Marsha

At the moment I spend all my little freetime on supporting another major Q1 change/project. I am more than excited about it.

I would like to say:
                          Thank you for your continuing interest in the "small mod compilation".
                          It is an old lady in the meantime. But I hope she is still *sexy* for some.

Sincerely,
                          Seven

Comment

• Hello, Seven! Thank you very much for this answer, you explained your point of view very clear.

Originally posted by Seven View Post
                            At the moment I spend all my little freetime on supporting another major Q1 change/project. I am more than excited about it.
                            Does it mean that we will see something brand new in the near future?

Comment

• Originally posted by Seven View Post
                              Seven
                              Sorry if my english isn't clear, is not my native languaje.

Comment

• Originally Posted by Seven
                                Seven
                                me too :-)

jakub
                                my projects so far:

Travail retextured ___/___ Knave HD textures
                                Tronyn in high definiton ___/___Abyss of Pandemonium HD textures
                                Nehahra rtlights and other experiments

Comment

Working...
                                X