Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• yes def did that.. using the current the one w/ the ripple water effect

Comment

• perhaps using another add-on which uses a progs.dat? or you have another progs.dat file inside your ID1 folder?

if you have a progs.dat inside your ID1 folder, try removing it and see if that helps

or if you dont, check if you have any other mods which use a progs.dat perhaps, like reflecting-overload or such.
      are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
      > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
      everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

• I have not kept up with all the goodies added to SMC but wow are they sweeeeet!
        I am not a fan of the eternal zombie though and would like to see them burn.
        Literally burst into flame if they fall into lava and as for acid I think they should
        disintegrate into piles of goo. And if they have the audacity to park their putrid asses by a window I'd like to see them crumble into dust piles caught by
        the sun beams.
        My tastes are quite B movie I know,maybe because I am a huge fan of them!
        I love the ability to enable and disable the options and think it is the best way to improve the quality. Hardware is always getting better and things that slow down FPS now will not be a problem in the future so don't be put off by complaints of something that is too demanding, in fact go for it , pull out all the stops and code for quality,we can always disable it.
        Thanks to everyone involved
        Q1 is More alive than ever!
        WARNING
        May be too intense for some viewers.
        Stress Relief Device
        ....BANG HEAD HERE....
        ---------------------------
        .--------------------------

Comment

• I concur - well said - street prices of i7's are really good these days

Comment

• Hello,

I hope Kreaper, you could find the root cause for your issue...

Weekend is over and so is the working time on "Small mod compilation".
            Next week will be a hard one in the office, with little freetime.

I could make a big step forward with the "lava-splash" thing today.
            But it is not final yet.
            Maybe decrease the particle size and count a bit, or adjusting the color.

Anyhow, I made a small clip of the current status.
            As I recorded it, I suddenly realized how beautiful Quake is.

Warm regards from cold Germany,
            Seven

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-LoNtWR-n0&list=UUbX7uVIXqMzBza0YmLJuMdw&index=1&feature=p lcp]lava-splash-wip.avi - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

• looks pretty cool so far seven

although imo the 'spray' kinda particles is great for shotgun since the pellets from a shotgun blast in large spread.
              and imo the effect should be less high though, like half the height maybe

so imo the spray kinda effect would be great for SG & SSG
              but nails should create a tiny amount of thick drops of lava rising up a few inches,
              and rockets&grenades should create a big splash with lots of big drops (similar to watersplash but with thicker drops)
              and maybe have some slight ripple added, since these projectiles are both heavy and would therefore cause a much bigger splash

hope you'd be able to create that, that different weapons create diff splashes in lava

and if not, i think the spray would be good but make the particles go up half the height they do now
              are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
              everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

• @ spitterface

thanks for the ideas. i had an progs.lno but no idea what it was for or belonged to. i removed it and had no results at all that i could tell for anything. im guessing that i needed a certain file to get it to work but deleted it long ago.

any other ideas would be appreciated

Comment

• @Seven,
                  Great start! Lava is thicker than water so splitterface may have something with her comments although I like it for SG and SSG as she states! Excellent stuff!

Offtopic:
                  How do you have your flying so smooth in your vids? If I use fly command and hit jump I shoot straight up and can't come down and move anywhere nearly as smooth as you do. Is it a certain command parameter?
                  Just curious

offtopic 2:
                  We are cold and snowy here in Oklahoma in the states too!

Comment

• @gdiddy
                    try using the 'noclip' instead of the 'fly' command

from what i can see it seems like seven is using noclip,
                    which i always use myself as well to cuz movement is lot smoother and easier in noclip then with fly.

@kreaper
                    SMC doesnt need any other files then the SMC pk3 and the effectinfo.txt.

oh, another idea maybe.... are you using a customized particlefont file, like seans particlefont or such?
                    if so, try to remove it, SMC comes with its own customized particlefont file which it needs for the particle-effects to work correctly
                    Last edited by talisa; 02-12-2012, 06:42 PM.

Comment

• @splitterface
                      Thanks

Comment

• welcome gdiddy, glad to help

Comment

• Ok splitterface and seven,
                          How the hell do you get up or down so smoothly? I get around ok with noclip but can't go up and down like I see in Seven's vids!! What commands are you using? WASD doesn't seem to cut it. Do you use something in the config or autoexec?

Sorry for hijack!!

Comment

• thanks again splitter but no dice. its ok ill just do without but def do enjoy the things that do work with my setup

Comment

• @gdiddy
                              try setting keys for swim up and swim down, when in noclip mode you can use those to move yourself up and down easily
                              i myself have those 2 set to the buttons on side of my mouse

@kreaper
                              hmmm...
                              i think it might perhaps be another add-on overriding SMC. try adding a few Z's to start of the name of the SMC pk3 so it will be listed last in your ID1 folder, this will make sure the SMC files are loaded last and the SMC overrides anything else from other addons.
                              and try if all the SMC features work then

oh, or perhaps if that still doesnt work.... which DP build are you using?
                              cuz id recommend the one from 7th of july 2011. it has best performance and supports everything the SMC needed. other builds might not work perfectly
                              in case you're using another build, try using that build: darkplaces-20110702.zip

(@seven the link you posted in another thread to the build didnt work anymore, so i re-uploaded the build to mediafire )
                              Last edited by talisa; 02-13-2012, 08:21 AM.

Comment

• Hello Kreaper,

I think I know now what your issue is.
                                You are using a too old DarkPlaces build.
                                Your build most probably does not have the feature you need to see the new particle effects on models/entities.
                                The feature is called: 'DP_ENT_TRAILEFFECTNUM'

If you read the main readme.txt inside “small mod compilation” you will see the remark and the link to the DarkPlaces build I always recommend: click me
                                Please read the linked post carefully.

The “TRAILEFFECTNUM” feature is used for every particle effect, that sticks to an entity (like powerups, keys, runes,...).
                                There is no easier way in adding particles to a moving/vanishing enity.
                                The feature was introduced in late june 2011.

You already said, that you have the SMC V3.72 “progs.dat” and “effectinfo.txt” directly in your ID1 folder.
                                As you know, the files which are directly inside ID1 folder, will override EVERY other file inside .pk3 / .pakīs !
                                So you MUST see+have all features of the “small mod compilation”.
                                Even though you are using a wrong “particlefont”, you will always see something at least.

In case you are using the 3rd february 2011 DP build at the moment, you have to switch to the 20th august 2011 build (or the 6th september if you use 64-bit OS)
                                to see all the particle effects and keep a good performance. As written in the above link, you will have a little bit less fps (compared to 3rd february).
                                So you have to decide: Performance or effects.
                                I used the 3rd february for a long long time myself, until I HAD to switch to 20th august one, because of the things I mentioned in the linked post above.

If you still don’t see the quad particle effect, your config.cfg is the one you have to delete and start from scratch.
                                Then, I am very sure, you will have no more issues.

@ all

My intention for the lava-splash effect was this:
                                - Lava is under high pressure beneath the lava crust.
                                - If the crust is destroyed, lava is spit out like a small fountain
                                - Lava is viscous
                                - Lava is very thick and sticks together (a little like honey)
                                - Lava-splash must look very different to watersplash
                                I tried to realize this in the shown WIP effect.

The pictures I had in my mind are like these:

So I guess our opinions differs a bit…
                                But I will try to find a good compromise.

In the end, the effectinfo.txt effect params can be edited by everybody of course.
                                It can be fun to edit effects to personal likings.
                                And you learn a lot by editing an existing effect. It is much easier than creating something from scratch.
                                Itīs perfect to learn the effectscript syntax. DPwiki really helps you with this.
                                I can only encourage people to play around with particle effects.

Best wishes,
                                Seven
                                Last edited by Seven; 02-13-2012, 09:32 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X