Small Mod compilation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thank you all very much.

The stairy slipgate effect was just an idea, that I wanted to share.
    Yes, it does not fit into Quake-style like my previous reddish fog.
    But it is sometimes good to have a different effect inside map_effectinfo.txt
    I will add it as an alternative into start map so that you can use it for whatever you like.

=======

The MP2 powerup effects:
    1.) powershield
    So this will be it. I will add it unchanged into V3.80.
    2.) belt
    Everybody that gave feedback had a different favor
    That makes it difficult for me to decide which one to take...
    But I personaly like the one with the clouds the most.
    And I already added FC´s suggestion: Lightning
    So now you have clouds and lightning, which are soaked into the belt.
    Just like the gravity it soaks up
    I think it makes it really good looking.
    The other ones will be added as alternatives, so you can use them if you want...

==============

My main reason to post today:

I manged to add transparent weapons during invisibility time.
    That was a very hard thing for me.

As far as I know, the engine itself hides the view-weapons in Quake as long as:
    self.invisible_finished = 1
    self.invisible_time = 1

So I thought that only CSQC was able to change this behaviour.
    And as you know, I want to keep the "small mod compilation" QC-only.
    But thank god DP has "viewmodelforclient", so this nice little effect could be done.
    I reduced the spawned viewmodel´s alpha to 0.3, so that you still see your weapon´s shape after picking up the ring.
    The animations are fluent taken over to the "normal" condition, when the ring wears out.
    I tried to record this in a small clip, so that you better see it.

You can do whatever you want to the view-weapons:
    - change alpha
    - change scale
    - change color
    - it is model independent !
    The fov will also follow your regular fov.

I like this effect very much.
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ki77zj7C58k&list=UUbX7uVIXqMzBza0YmLJuMdw& index=1&feature=plcp]Quake-invisibility-weapons.avi - YouTube[/ame]

=============

I added a gyro separation for the shotguns today:
    Both shotguns use different forces now.
    That makes it much easier to adjust them to your personal likings.

=============

The guardians in MP2 use a triple laser attack, as you know.
    Jakubs laser effect found its way into it now.
    (sorry for the bad screenshot, but you get the idea...)
    click on it to zoom it.

Best wishes,
    Seven

Comment

• The invisibility is awesome!!!

Comment

• Oh wow! It is just cool, Seven! The invisibility effect is not only visually awesome, it is very useful! Thank you for all your great effects!

PS Has MP2 ever been retextured???
        Last edited by FC Zvyozdochka; 03-26-2012, 03:20 AM.

Comment

• awesomes! its really cool that it is possible after all to have hud weapons turn only partially transparent instead of completely invisible through qc after all in darkplaces

and jakub's laser effect added to the guardians laser looks cool too

@FC
          nope, it hasnt been yet. but i did however find a bunch of textures some time on this forum for rogue, which ill gladly share with you all: some rogue textures. its just a few, but at least its a start
          and webangel also gave us textures for the windows of rogue: rogue windows

also a tip: try copying your hipnotic textures pk3 to your rogue folder! a lot of textures in MP2 are the exact same textures as from MP1.
          and MP2 will use them if you add a copy of the MP1 textures pk3 into the rogue folder

but as far as i know, Moon[Drunk] has been working on retexturing MP2 after he finished retexturing MP1
          are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
          > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
          everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

• hi seven,
            -
            i like those transparent weapons. in regular quake, i don't use invisibility ring 'cause (1) i don't like the idea of avoiding a fight unless absolutely necessary /e.g. the are four shamlers + two vores heading my way and i have only 4hp and no ammo/ and (2) i usually kill myself incidentally 'cause i forget and use a rocket launcher during face to face fight with dog or ogre... :-) i'm just lame...
            -
            as for the particles - don't worry.. you can't please everyone.
            -
            jakub
            my projects so far:

Travail retextured ___/___ Knave HD textures
            Tronyn in high definiton ___/___Abyss of Pandemonium HD textures
            Nehahra rtlights and other experiments

Comment

• Originally posted by splitterface View Post
              nope, it hasnt been yet. but i did however find a bunch of textures some time on this forum for rogue, which ill gladly share with you all: some rogue textures. its just a few, but at least its a start
              and webangel also gave us textures for the windows of rogue: rogue windows
              Thanx! Looks much more awesome than before

also a tip: try copying your hipnotic textures pk3 to your rogue folder! a lot of textures in MP2 are the exact same textures as from MP1.
              and MP2 will use them if you add a copy of the MP1 textures pk3 into the rogue folder
              I found even better solution: I copied hipnotic texture-pack into id1 folder so every mod now has access to re-textured files, because id1 folder is the root.

but as far as i know, Moon[Drunk] has been working on retexturing MP2 after he finished retexturing MP1
              He's doing great job, hope he'll finish it! Thank you, MoonDrunk!

Comment

• Thank you all.

This was requested by Splitterface some time ago.
                I never played around with "viewmodelforclient" until now.
                You can really do interesting things with it.

A warm welcome to Jakub. It is very good to see you from time to time.

FC,
                Rogue has not been "retextured" yet. Moon[Drunk] is a very busy man.
                We all hope that he will continue working on Rogue one day.
                If he does it, we all know that it will be perfect.

Please read this thread to learn more about MP1 + MP2 textures.
                You will see that MP1 introduced 104 new textures.
                And MP2 introduced 181 new textures on top.
                MP2 uses many MP1 textures. You will find an excel-file with details in that thread.

Due to the fact that Rogue has not been retextured yet, many different people created a High Res texture compilation for Rogue already.
                It uses many many different sources and a LOT of work went into this.
                Webangel recently finetuned and extended it.
                Of course mostly Moon[Drunk]´s wonderful textures from ID1, MP1 and the ones from his many many map packs have been used as well as ones from other authors, such as inkub0.
                Around 95% of MP2 textures are covered.

Due to the fact that this is NOT a "real" retexturing, but a compilation of similar looking textures, it has some visual difference to originals of course. But its overall look is very good.

In my opinion, with respect to Moon[Drunk] that pack shall not be released publically.
                If Moon[Drunk] wanted, he could have released such a pack many years ago...
                We should honor Moon[Drunk] and wait in patience for his amazing work in retexturing MP2 faithfully.

Best wishes,
                Seven

Comment

• Seven i hope i'll find some time soon to try this gem out. Not played quake for about 4 or 5 months now.

Comment

• Originally posted by grave_digga View Post
                    ...not played quake for about 4 or 5 months now.
                    Hello grave_digga,

do not worry, we all have our weak moments sometimes...

=============

Dear all,

since Jakub introduced the new debris fonts, we have much more beautiful explosions.

Unfortunately the explosions when firing at a wall or at an enemy are identical.
                    That leads to debris, coming out of enemies...

I changed the QC a little bit to NOT spawn debris when firing at enemies.
                    That bothered me for a long time.
                    (I wonder why nobody else had complaint about it before)

Now we can enjoy Jakub´s explosions even more.
                    Thank you again Jakub.

I made a small clip to show the difference.
                    ... do not wonder, I gave the shambler a sedative injection to be able to record this clip.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmY83ZBM4W8[/ame]

Comment

• Hello Seven,
                      I love your new effects (specially the candles from MP2). But one thing I don´t understand - why you would remove the debris particles from the monsters?
                      I like the explosion effect also but when a rocket hits a shambler they should be visible. I thought it´s the debris from the rocket - not from the monster

Just my opinion. Your work is great as always!!

I hope you understand my post right - as said, just one opinion!

Comment

• I was thinking about debris mostly as shrapnels too.
                        While I am not big fan of putting particles everywhere I kind of like starry slipgate.
                        Anything starry fits Cthulhu inspired Quake no less then horror amusement park styled smokes
                        Love the forcefield and candles.
                        Quake HD: Embrace the decline and have some guilty pleasure with it, or join a club for monocled gentlemen at quaddicted and play Quake the way it's meant to be played.

Comment

• Hello,

Never ever think, that I dont want to hear criticism.
                          The opposite is the case.

Criticism is extremely helpful to make things better.

Fortunately the decision wether to see debris coming from enemies/players or only from walls can be adjusted by auto_cvar.
                          Sometimes I think what would I have done without the help of Spike ?
                          Explaining with easy english words how this extension works and giving an example.
                          Without his initial help, all the things would not be adjustable.
                          That really blew fresh air into the "small mod compilation"...

Comment

• Well at least in my case it wasn't even meant as criticism, but as response to:
                            (I wonder why nobody else had complaint about it before)
                            I think it's a good idea.
                            Whether it looks out of place on monster or not, depends on how much debris you have in your effect. You can even have debris on both efects but different amount.

I see potential in this feature to bring the ultimate solution for explosion lag. You can launch lower quality effect when player gets blasted in the face.
                            You are not going to see much of this effect in that case anyway
                            Quake HD: Embrace the decline and have some guilty pleasure with it, or join a club for monocled gentlemen at quaddicted and play Quake the way it's meant to be played.

Comment

• debris particles

hi there,
                              -
                              my original idea behind the debris was that they are parts of a rocket/grenade as well as parts of wall/floor/whatever... so, just for myself, i can justify the exestince of the debris particles even for explosions on enemies. as _smith_ said - it's a question of particle quality settings. i use 4, but i guess things can get weird with higher values.
                              -
                              jakub
                              my projects so far:

Travail retextured ___/___ Knave HD textures
                              Tronyn in high definiton ___/___Abyss of Pandemonium HD textures
                              Nehahra rtlights and other experiments

Comment

• Question!

How do you make a level wide particle system for dust? Imagine small dust particles floating in the air.

getButterfly - WordPress Plugins

Comment

Working...
                                X