Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Seven View Post
    An Ogre Boss is NO Ogre boss without his Tattoo and multi-weapon
    Not to criticise anyone, just an interesting information about meaning of Ogre's tattoo - two circles on his hand with ornament between.
    In Russian criminal groups such circles mean shackles, each shackle means 5 years of prison. Following picture is just an example, this tattoo has many different variations with similar meaning, including that one on ogre's hand.

So it seems that ogre-boss spent in prison for 10 years and that's why he is so evil

Comment

• Originally posted by Chip View Post
      Question!

How do you make a level wide particle system for dust? Imagine small dust particles floating in the air.
      it can be done via ent. files, but:

you would need a lot of ent files - loooong time to define them
      you would need a lot of particles - fps killer

even if you do it, the result wouldn't look too good... dp particle script gives you only limited option regarding the shape of an area in which an effect spawns.

jakub
      my projects so far:

Travail retextured ___/___ Knave HD textures
      Tronyn in high definiton ___/___Abyss of Pandemonium HD textures
      Nehahra rtlights and other experiments

Comment

• Originally posted by jakub1 View Post
        it can be done via ent. files, but:

you would need a lot of ent files - loooong time to define them
        you would need a lot of particles - fps killer

even if you do it, the result wouldn't look too good... dp particle script gives you only limited option regarding the shape of an area in which an effect spawns.

jakub
        I know about the area, yes. However, I was thinking about 100-200 particles, just for the atmosphere.

I also know that the particles cannot just fly randomly, they need to either go up, or down. Or sideways.

getButterfly - WordPress Plugins

Comment

• Originally posted by jakub1 View Post
          my original idea behind the debris was that they are parts of a rocket/grenade as well as parts of wall/floor/whatever...
          i use 4, but i guess things can get weird with higher values.

Hello Jakub,

I think most of us use a value of "4" (so do I).
          Thank you for your answer.
          Now that I know your initial intention for the debris. For both:
          - wall debris
          - rocket shrapnel pieces

Then we should use different particles for them, in terms of:
          - size
          - color
          - velocity
          - quantity

This is now possible in "small mod compilation" V3.80

Originally posted by FC Zvyozdochka View Post
          ...just an interesting information about meaning of Ogre's tattoo - two circles on his hand with ornament between.
          So it seems that ogre-boss spent in prison for 10 years and that's why he is so evil

Hello FC,

maybe I misunderstood you, but I dont see tatoos on the ogre boss´s hands.
          In original skin and your linked High Res skin.
          I only added the tatoo on his left upper arm into the High res skin.
          Simply copied it 1:1 from original skin.

But yes, you are correct:
          This ogre is evil and he surely spent have of his life in jail of hell

Originally posted by Chip View Post
          I know about the area, yes. However, I was thinking about 100-200 particles, just for the atmosphere.

I also know that the particles cannot just fly randomly, they need to either go up, or down. Or sideways.

Hello Chip,

Particles can fly randomly back and forth.
          You must use:
          type <snow>
          In combination with a high airfriction value.
          This will give you the random movement in X/Y plane.
          Then you need to add a velocity for Z (+/-) to make them also go up or down.
          Use 2 effect blocks if you want to have a pseudo "random" up/down movement.
          One with z+ one with z-
          Or use a combination of z and X/Y velocity to make them move diagonally.

The most important in your effect will be the font itself I think.
          You need to create a nice dust font, that meets your satisfaction.

If I understood you correctly you want to have this effect in the complete map ?
          Woow, in this case you will need several effect spawn points, because your map will surely have different z-heights.

Maybe ground fog will be an alternative for you ?
          Be aware that you can only set 1 z-height limit for ground fog for the complete map though.

Just like Jakub said, with particles you will have to live with a performance decrease.
          It of course directly depends on the particle quantity.

A very interesting idea that you have.
          I am very interested in your result.
          If possible, please report your findings here.
          That would be great. Thank you.

Best wishes,
          Seven
          Last edited by Seven; 03-30-2012, 09:38 AM.

Comment

• I will post it here, Seven. Ground fog is not an option, I'm sure you know what type of particle dust I'm talking about. It's becoming more and more common in games these days.

There is no font involved as the dust is only a dot, (size 0.1, 0.1) or something.

Here's some examples:

Creating Dust Particles | Eat 3D [video]

http://imageshack.us/f/408/rage2011111001573237.jpg [image] - notice some (not more than 10 particles, floating in mid air)

Comment

• maybe I misunderstood you, but I dont see tatoos on the ogre boss´s hands.
              In original skin and your linked High Res skin.
              I only added the tatoo on his left upper arm into the High res skin.
              That's because of my bad english, Seven
              You are right, two circles on his upper arm, I didn't know any difference between "arm" and "hand" words till this day.
              Wonderful retexture anyway And it looks very menacing!

Comment

• Originally posted by Chip View Post
                I will post it here, Seven. Ground fog is not an option, I'm sure you know what type of particle dust I'm talking about. It's becoming more and more common in games these days.

There is no font involved as the dust is only a dot, (size 0.1, 0.1) or something.

...notice some (not more than 10 particles, floating in mid air)

Ahh, now I understand what you mean Chip.
                Thank you for the screenshot example.

I had a quite similar idea some days ago, here.
                I called it "Gluehwuermchen"
                It is a german word for it.

This will not reduce/affect your performance.
                I applied this effect into the lightbeams from Nahuel.
                It looks nice. Like dust that is reflecting the sunlight.

I reduced the "Gluehwuermchen" speed to look more like dust and recorded a clip for you.
                There are much too many dust particles in this clip, but this way you can see it better in the clip.
                Just a rough idea to show.
                Maybe this is something like you had in your mind ?

The font is still important. Even if it is small.
                The particle is visible in the game and so it should be roughly round shape.
                I used a bullet impact font, just as reference.

Attached are the necessary files, if you want to test it.
                The particles are spawned via .ent file, so you need a small QC modification.
                It is implemented in SMC since V3.5
                If you dont want to use SMC, please copy paste the code inside "custom_effects.qc" into your source.
                That is all you need.
                It lets you spawn particle effects via .ent files into your map.

You need to watch the clip in fullscreen 720p to clearly see them.
                [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_Bvk0mLI94&list=UUbX7uVIXqMzBza0YmLJuMdw& index=1&feature=plcp]Only-a-test-Chip.avi - YouTube[/ame]
                Attached Files

Comment

• You are getting closer to what I want. I'll play a bit with your .ent file. I already have the custom_effects.qc file from some previous effects I've tried. Let me see what I can come up with.

Comment

• Dear all,

This is the status for the "small mod compilation"´s V3.80:
                    - ID1 version is done
                    - Hipnotic version is done
                    - Rogue version is 80%

All things from previous pages will be included.

====

Due to the fact that I decided to use the clouds+lightnings for the "Belt" (MP2) powerup,
                    I used the belts alternative stars effect for the "Horn", cause it fits it quite good.
                    I had a funny "rainy" idea for the "wetsuit". I hope you will like it...
                    The Empathy is a modified version of Jakub´s pentagram base.

These are the Hipnotic powerups:
                    Uups, I just saw that the Horn´s particle color is wrong in the clip.
                    They are yellow (like the horn´s texture color itself)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulodCzawpjs&list=UUbX7uVIXqMzBza0YmLJuMdw& index=1&feature=plcp]Quake-MP1-powerups.avi - YouTube[/ame]

Best wishes,
                    Seven
                    Last edited by Seven; 03-31-2012, 04:16 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Seven View Post
                      I had a funny "rainy" idea for the "wetsuit". I hope you will like it...
                      Excellent, very suitable effect for the wetsuit!

Comment

• both horn and shield effects look nice seven
                        they're both quite fitting for the power-ups

although personally wetsuit i think looks better without any particle-effect.
                        cuz imo a particle-effect is out of place, since particles are magical,
                        and theres nothing magical about a websuit, just like the scuba-suit from ID1
                        are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
                        > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
                        everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

• Looking good Seven. great work! I think I'll choose to not have the effect with wetsuit via cvar as it looks "busy" to me. Perhaps if the "rain" particles were smaller? So many ideas you have!!
                          I LOVE all else as you are outdoing yourself!
                          Hope to have this soon.

Comment

• Hello,

Thank you very much for your answers and feedback.
                            Jakub is right, it is impossible to please everybody.
                            I will make the "raindrops" smaller.
                            If you dont like some of the effects, you will have to delete the effect block entry.

Sometimes I am angry at myself...
                            Because of having new ideas again and again, the "small mod compilation" development time needs longer and longer.
                            Those crazy ideas normaly come in the night.
                            Last night I had the idea how to create a countdown for the powerups.
                            Some people requested it several month ago.
                            It can be enabled/disabled via autocvar.

I promise, this will be my last thing I post in this thread, before the final releases !
                            Sorry for the waiting time...

Tried to record a small clip to show it.
                            I used "slowmo" to speed up the time and save video size.
                            You will need to watch it in fullscreen to better see the digits.
                            [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vG43i48ikZg&list=UUbX7uVIXqMzBza0YmLJuMdw& index=1&feature=plcp]Quake-powerup-countdown.avi - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

• neat, but cant you make it so that the timer appears at bottom of screen instead?

and i was wondering how it would work if you had more then one powerup activated at same time?
                              will it show 2 timers at once then or will it only show one timer at a time?
                              are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
                              > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
                              everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

• Nice! I agree that it might fit better next to the hud. Looking forward to all of this!

Comment

Working...
                                X