Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello webangel,

Last night I had a wonderful idea, because of you

Why not replace the blood with Jakubīs debris for the statues ??

I think that is the exactly right thing to do for the statues !
    When you shoot them, small debris parts will be spawned and fly away from them.
    Just like you say: They do not "live". They dont have a heart/blood.

What do you think ?
    I like this idea and looking forward to implement it.

=========

Hello Splitterface,

Just one more sentence regarding the Hipnoticīs forcefield:
    You can always have the original particle effects back, when using this cvar setting:
    set forcefield 0
    (default is "1")

Have a nice day.
    Seven

Comment

• Seven I'm a fan of your work, the only thing missing is a streamlined installer and a Console command list. Those are the two reasons I gave up using this

Take care, friend.
      Originally posted by Magnus
      Apology accepted.

Comment

• Originally posted by Seven View Post
        Hello webangel,

I think that is the exactly right thing to do for the statues !
        When you shoot them, small debris parts will be spawned and fly away from them.
        Just like you say: They do not "live". They dont have a heart/blood.

What do you think ?
        I like this idea and looking forward to implement it.

=========

Hello Splitterface,

Just one more sentence regarding the Hipnoticīs forcefield:
        You can always have the original particle effects back, when using this cvar setting:

(default is "1")

Have a nice day.
        Seven

That sounds cool!
        If you see 427 playing Quake thats me.

Comment

• hi seven,
          -
          i know i'm repeating myself, bu you are an unstopable machine. i really need to clean that mass on my hdd, instal q1 again and test both missions packs. even the feature list itself is impressive. thank you.
          -
          jakub
          my projects so far:

Travail retextured ___/___ Knave HD textures
          Tronyn in high definiton ___/___Abyss of Pandemonium HD textures
          Nehahra rtlights and other experiments

Comment

• @seven and webangel
            yeah, that same thing always kinda bothered me as well, that statues would bleed which looks rather weird

would be totally awesome if you'd make it so statues dont bleed but instead have debris and dust flying off them when shot

that would rock if you could add that to the smc seven
            are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
            > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
            everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

• oh btw seven. i always used OoPpEe's modified lava-nails which added the hellknights firetrail to the lava-nails, but since i updated to the newest SMC version those dont work anymore at all

and i tried looking into your effectinfo that you made but i nowhere was able to find an entry for a trail for the lava-nails and lava-supernails

how can i add the hellknights firetrail to the lavanails and lavasupernails again? i totally loved having those added to them and it sucks that now they dont have a trail anymore

oh just remembered a sorta bug i found.... the cvars corpsehealth and corpsekillexplosives seem to be colliding and not work properly together.. cuz i had set 'corpsekillexplosives' to '1' but still i could gib corpses with a single SSG blast, and i had to raise corpsehealth to 100 to fix this problem. and even now i can gib corpses with pretty much any weapon when i have a quad.
              and i tried setting corpsehealth even higher to fix that, but then a corpse wouldnt gib every time it got hit by an explosive
              could you perhaps fix that?

i dun mind really about being able to gib corpses with pretty much any weapon while i have a quad, thats actually pretty cool and fitting. but the two cvars 'corpsehealth' and 'corpsekillexplosives' just dont seem to work together very well
              Last edited by talisa; 04-11-2012, 06:33 AM.
              are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
              everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

• It works as intended, corpses behave like zombies. They reset their hp to 60 after get damaged.
                Just keep corpsehealth 60 or more to not be able gib with ssg. I don't get what else you would want ?
                It was btw really cool idea of you, to implement this.

Edit: Making a check whether damage comes from explosives would mean extra work and result would be similar.
                Last edited by _Smith_; 04-11-2012, 08:55 AM.
                Quake HD: Embrace the decline and have some guilty pleasure with it, or join a club for monocled gentlemen at quaddicted and play Quake the way it's meant to be played.

Comment

• yeah i noticed that too. i have set corpsehealth at 75 myself now after realizing myself too that they act the same way like zombies and i looked up how much health zombies have which is 60 and at how much they gib which is -5, and adding these two and adding 10extra too it.

so yeah, forget what i said. although maybe you could however in future releases set the corpsehealth to 75 standard in the autoexec.cfg you include, so itll work properly if someone turns corpsekillexplosives on

Comment

• Originally posted by turtlevan View Post
                    Seven I'm a fan of your work, the only thing missing is a streamlined installer and a Console command list. Those are the two reasons I gave up using this
                    Hello Turtlevan,

Thank you for your comment.

I am aware of the fact, that the “small mod compilation” can give the impression that it is a complicated beast. But please do not worry. The opposite is the case.

This is what you have to do to install it:
                    Put the .pk3 file into your ID1 folder.
                    Nothing more, nothing less.

The “small mod compilation” will then automagically be used, next time you start your DP.

If you do not like some features of the “small mod compilation”, then you have the possibility to adjust them.
                    The list of cvars, that you asked for is inside the included autoexec.cfg sample.
                    I totally reworked this sample in V3.80.
                    I sorted every cvar that belongs together to give a clear and easy picture/overview.

All cvars have their default setting inside the sample.
                    I explained all possible settings for each cvar inside the sample (since V3.80)

I know that my insane amount of readmeīs in the zip are maybe not a good idea.
                    I just wanted to give deeper information for every feature in them.
                    As well as credit all the people that helped me along the way.

Last but not least point is the new “multiskin/multimodel” feature (it is disabled by default !).
                    You do not need it. It is disabled by default.
                    Just in case you want to use this feature, I added a seperat folder in the zip with all instructions and a ‘starter kit’ to use it right away without fiddeling around.

As you see, it is (since V3.80) exactly how you want it:
                    As easy as possible to use.
                    Please give it a try to see if you like it…

===========

Originally posted by jakub1 View Post
                    i really need to clean that mass on my hdd, instal q1 again and test both missions packs. even the feature list itself is impressive. thank you.
                    -
                    jakub

Hello Jakub,

Thank you.
                    I tried to match the quality of your particles in MP1 + MP2.
                    But that is of course not possible...
                    "I only scratched the surface" so to speak.

===========

Originally posted by splitterface View Post
                    i always used OoPpEe's modified lava-nails which added the hellknights firetrail to the lava-nails, but since i updated to the newest SMC version those dont work anymore at all.

Hello Splitterface,

OoPpEe added a flag to the model.
                    I do not know which flag it was cause I do not use it myself.
                    (maybe the rocket, grenade or hellknights spike trail). I think it was hellknights spike flag.

The “small mod compilation” adds a trail to all spike models via QC.
                    As mentioned before, this gives more flexibility to use any effect you want on a model.

So what you want to do to get your beloved lavaspike trail back is:
                    Use the effect name, that is used in the “small mod compilation”:
                    lavaspike_bubble_trail
                    And copy/paste the effect from rocket, grenade or hellknights spike trail to this effect.
                    Or even better: Make your OWN effect.
                    Just be sure to add this line ontop of the effect:
                    Notunderwater
                    This makes sure, that this effect is only spawned outside of water.
                    The already existing effect (spawned via QC) use only effects underwater !
                    So your own effect will NOT interfere with the “small mod compilation”s effects.

I did it with the hellknights spike trail for you.
                    Just copy this anywhere into your effectinfo:
                    Code:
                    effect lavaspike_bubble_trail
                    notunderwater
                    trailspacing 3                
                    type static
                    color 0x801010 0xFFA020       
                    size 5 1  
                    tex 35 36                   
                    alpha 10 20 15               
                    velocityjitter 25 25 25             
                    lightradius 80
                    lightshadow 0
                    airfriction 3
                    liquidfriction 3                              
                    lightcolor 1 0.3 0            

effect lavaspike_bubble_trail
                    notunderwater
                    trailspacing 2
                    tex 0 7
                    type static
                    color 0x801010 0xFFA020
                    alpha 128 256 800
                    size 2 4
                    airfriction 6
                    liquidfriction 6
                    velocityjitter 120 300 120
                    Have fun.

===========

Originally posted by splitterface View Post
                    oh just remembered a sorta bug i found.... the cvars corpsehealth and corpsekillexplosives seem to be colliding and not work properly together.. cuz i had set 'corpsekillexplosives' to '1' but still i could gib corpses with a single SSG blast, and i had to raise corpsehealth to 100 to fix this problem. and even now i can gib corpses with pretty much any weapon when i have a quad.
                    and i tried setting corpsehealth even higher to fix that, but then a corpse wouldnt gib every time it got hit by an explosive
                    could you perhaps fix that?
                    Hello Splitterface,

Player can inflict these weapon damages (per shot):

Axe= 20 damage
                    Shotgun = 6 * 4 = max. 24 damage
                    Supershotgun= 14 * 4 = max. 56 damage
                    Nailgun= 9 damage
                    Supernailgun= 18 damage
                    Grenade= 120 radiusdamage
                    Rocket= max. 120 damage + 120 radiusdamage (but not to the same enemy !)
                    Lightning= 30 damage

With quad = value multiplied by 4.

As you can see, only grenade and rocket can inflict more than 60 damage.
                    That is why you will find this value in the zombie code.
                    After each and every damage, the zombieīs health will be filled up to 60 again !
                    If damage < 60 the zombie will not die.

That is exactly the way, the corpsekillexplosives code works.
                    If you have quad you still cannot gib corpses with nailgun (because 9*4 < 60).

If you aim very close with supershotgun you will inflict max. damage = 56.
                    If you choose corpsehealth < 56, the corpse will die (= gib).

So if you want to use corpsekillexplosives, you should set corpsehealth to 60 (just to be sure).
                    If you leave it at default value (= 50), you can still gib corpses with SSG when you aim very close to the body. As you see, it is just a mathematic calculation

The cvar "corpsekillexplosives" works as it should (like Smith said)
                    I will not set the default corpsehealth above "60".
                    I do not like the idea to waste too much ammo for killing corpses.
                    You play Quake to kill monsters, not corpses, right ?

Best wishes,
                    Seven
                    Last edited by Seven; 04-11-2012, 09:43 AM.

Comment

• thanx seven a lot for giving me that line of code to add the hellknights fire-trail back to the lavanails again
                      i totally love having my lava-nails looks like they're on fire when they're fired
                      it looks even more awesome then before now with the redone particle-effects

and yeah, of course i dont play quake for blowing up corpses. but it can give so much satisfaction to blow up a corpse of an enemy if you had trouble killing the enemy

and yeah, i already noticed that and had fixed it myself in my autoexec.cfg, and set corpsehealth to a value of 75 to fix being able to gib corpses with SSG.
                      thats why i added in my last post to forget what i said about it being a bug and stuffs.

i can understand turtlevan though, cuz of all the tons of features and the huge list of cvars i understand the list of stuffs you can change and such can be intimidating to someone new and confusing cuz theres so much stuff you can turn on and off and such.

btw i hope you do implement that statues dont bleed but instead have debris coming off them. would be awesome to have that, and maybe have some added dust particles

thanx again for helping me with adding an entry to my effectinfo to give the lavanails that awesome hellknight fire-trail again
                      and thanx so much for making all this and adding all these tons of features that lot of people including myself asked for

Comment

• Hello splitterface,

I encourage you to play around a little bit with the 2 effect blocks now.
                        This is a good sample to learn more about the syntax.
                        Change some values and see what happens...
                        Add something and see what happens.

In parallel open the dpwiki page and read what the single lines do.

You do not need to restart the map after each change/edit.
                        Just keep the effectinfo.txt file open all time.
                        Make your edits, save the file (dont close it).
                        And then type into console:
                        cl_particles_reloadeffects

The next second the new edits will be used (= reloads the file).

Jakub and I didnt know this, the first time we played around with effectinfo.
                        You can image how often we restarted Quake...
                        Because we thought that Quake had to be restarted, hehe.
                        It was a try and error, because we didnt know the dpwiki page.
                        That is why there have been so many german comments in the very early effectinfos.

That is why I am so thankful to Error for creating the dpwiki.
                        I dont know how many times I used it.
                        The informations in it are extremely valuable.

Regarding the possibilities to change some features in the small mod compilation:
                        I think as a new user, those are absolutely unimportant.
                        The default settings are made to not change the gameplay in Quake.
                        So a normal user should not need to change too much.
                        Yes, maybe the death animations are annyoing. Sorry for that.
                        That is why I reduced the chance to as seldom as possible.
                        But all the rest should be OK.

I still hope that it does not discourage/put people off from testing it.

Until you played some hours and see what is new/different,
                        you should not start to look into the autoexec.
                        Before, you dont understand the things/meanings anyway.

Regarding implementation of "statue debris-blood":
                        There are more things to edit than you might think at first glance.
                        All the corpses/ death animations/ gibs behaviours must be changed.
                        Best thing would be to make new model children and start with function children,
                        which take care of the new behaviour (even though it means waste of code).
                        To work with many "if - then" routines might be more complex (but saves code lines).

Comment

• Originally posted by Seven View Post
                          Hello webangel,

Sweet

And a great idea!

Comment

• Hey Seven back again to compliment your work and make some more complaints :p!

To add, your work is great, magnificent. Your presentation of the final product (3.80) is too complicated. Thats flat out the only way I can tell you, and you've seen my videos, you know i have 600 pak files, and addons. I can use pak explorer, and console command variable lists, and darkplaces console commands.

I haven't use 3.8, so I may have been unaware of your new console list. However what is important (if you wish for more people to see & enjoy your fine work) is that you deliver it in a sensible practical usable package. Take for example Rquake Team Cooperative servers, or Monster's NEW DM. They are very easy to use (they have installers) like rquakesetup.exe, etc. There is a concise set of simple instructions to the beginner or intermediate quake fan/novice that will help them get started, and not have to resort to reading a 100 page thread.

As it stands now you have only a half-dozen followers using your creative work simply because it is too complicated for beginners and new-comers to pick up. The ten people followign closely (which i am proudly one of) are savvy with programming and adding pak3s, and editing paks, skins, coding, cvars etc.

Here is an example of how to give you creative work to the community:

SMC-setup.exe

Readme.txt
                            ConsoleCommands.txt

The setup is an auto-extracter that places all files where they belong. The readme includes all of your thanks to contributors and complex descriptions of the inner workigns of your mod. The console command list gives a list of all the code you've worked your arse off creating that can control/modify any variable in the game along with a short description

r_shadows 1 (easy shadows)
                            r_shadows 2 (all world shadows)
                            r_shadows 3 (all world soft shadows)

r_glsl_offsetmapping 1/0 (offset on/off)
                            r_glsl_offsetmapping_reliefmapping 1/0 (relief on/off)

r_glsl_sevens_smc_snowflakes 1/0 (turn snow on/off)
                            r_glsl_sevens_smc_fog 1/0 (turn fog on/off)
                            r_glsl_sevens_smc_fogcolor 0-255 (select fog color)
                            r_glsl_sevens_smc_alternate_skins 0/1/2 (turn skins off/on/multiple)

3 flame types: polygon, improved dpmodīs sprite, particle flames. (Selectable via cvar)

okay great, 3 cool flames, I have no idea how to use them, but i know they're there somewhere, cool.

- Footstep sounds
                            Cool its good that you added this, how do I use it, what are the pertaining console commands that control footstep sound variables..?

- NailGunīs + SuperNailGunīs nail position correction (including Lava Guns now !)
                            - Kickable gibs and heads (Selectable via cvar)

Cool, what are the relatvie cvars, and what do they do???
                            - multiple gib cvarīs to adjust the gib behaviour to your likings (stay-duration, quantity, fade animation)
                            Is it possible to increase fade time with cvar, whats the cvars for quantity, what cvars control diff animations?

- gibbable corpses
                            - Nails stick in Walls
                            - Plasma Gun bug fix in Mission pack 2 for DarkPlaces
                            - Addeed "kill all monsters" cheat (impulse 205) in all versions. more details
                            - Crucified zombies are now shootable/killable
                            - Included beautiful Rain+Snow effects (with rain+thunder sounds) more details
                            Please tell me there is a cvar i can set to 1/0 that will turn on/off these beautiful rain or snow effects.... please sir!!! I want to see i!! Love you

- Added 3 death animations (selectable via multiple cvar for each monster + random options):
                            What are the cvars?

Ancient ghosts of the fallen, Relieved souls of the enslaved, Vengeance of the deceased
                            I really enjoyed your creative death animations, I would like to udnerstand how to manipulate/add/remove/ these different animations.

- added new phantom sword death animation in Rogue (dying knight spawning/fading in)
                            - added axe sound when player hits a monster (2 sound sets to choose from)
                            - added particle muzzleflashes for both shotguns and nailguns (Selectable via cvar)
                            - Added Gyro physics (fully adjustable via cvars)
                            - Added Water splashes (for weapon projectiles)
                            - Added Nahuels light beam feature support
                            - Added Custom particle effects support (plus samples)
                            - Added custom CSQC-HUD support
                            - corrected zombie flesh-projectile spawning position for 2nd attack animation.
                            - Added zombie + ogre enhanced aiming
                            - Health of gibbable corpses is now adjustable (Gyro related)
                            - Added 'Player bleeding' (player starts to bleed when health reaches several limits)
                            - Added various Flesh splat effects when shooting monsters
                            - Added gib behaviour in lava + slime (particle effects and skin changes)
                            - Added exploding boxes spawn burning debris chunks (quantity related to box size)
                            - Added weapon recoil feature (pushes the player slightly backwards when shooting)
                            - Added Multiskin/Multimodel support for monsters (You can now use up to 4 different skins per monster at the same time). 'Starter Kit' with all necessary files, that fully supports it is included for your convenience.
                            - Added a cvar to disable the *bleeding* of shootable buttons and secret walls/doors when they are shot.
                            - Added weapon muzzleflash for Grunt monster. Adjustable via cvar for different models.
                            - Added cvar to enable/disable monster interaction with lava / slime. Monsters (dead or living) can now *burn*/*sizzle*. Optionally they can take damage from lava/slime as well.
                            - Added 2 "new" (previously hidden) Hellknight magic attack animations and a new charging effect.
                            - Added new shambler magic attack animation (adjustable via cvar according to used monster model)
                            - Added custom particle effect when lightning gun beam hits walls/meshes
                            - Totally reworked amazing particle effects by Jakub (!) for V3.7:
                            -- all standard Quake effects
                            -- all existing "small mod compilation" effects
                            -- even added new custom effects (read included readme for details)
                            - Added possibility to use Gyro on backpacks (so you can shoot them around and they can float in water)
                            - Added possibility to disable the spinning of backpacks
                            - Added High Poly backpack model
                            - Added new custom effects to E1M1 map (e1m1.ent file and e1m1_effectinfo.txt are included)
                            - Added new "custom sound effects support": You can add sounds into maps without editing QC or map itself (samples included).
                            - Added particle flies around corpses, gibs and zombies (fully adjustable)
                            - Added additional cheats (for all powerups)
                            - Added Lava splash particle effect + sound
                            - Added ambience sound for lava (in start.ent map. All ID1 maps will follow)
                            - Added possibility to see view-weapons with less opaqueness during invisibility time
                            - Added possibility to choose if corpses can only be gibbed with explosive weapons or not.
                            - Added possibility to have a powerup countdown counter on screen
                            - Added possibility to choose between several weapon autoswitch behaviours
                            - Added possibility to choose between different particle explosion visuals (with/without debris)
                            - Added a special "fleshsplat" effect when carrying the axe.
                            - Added a different Gyro force value for shotgun and supershotgun (makes it easier to adjust).
                            - Added possibility to choose between original forcefield particles or new effects in MP1.
                            - Changed the original Power Shild "Hit-effect" (p_shield) to be more dynamic/special in MP2.
                            - Added possibility to choose between original polygon candle flames and particle flames in MP2
                            - Added possibility to have lava guns and plasma gun texture animation when shooting in MP2(glowing + cooling)
                            - Added a nice trail to the wrathīs, overlordīs and dragonīs projectile in MP2
                            - Added new effect names to both lava spike impacts in MP2 (so you can give them seperate effects/visuals)
                            - Added statue gib textures in MP2(based on Quake Reforged Statue monster skins)
                            etc etc etc.

It seems like a lot of work, so I wouldn't expect you to waste valuable creative time drudging through making a workign installer and streamlined command list. However if you do wish for more peoople to become aware of your creations, I would suggest you make it easier to use.

Newbie Friendly for me! I would really like to utilize your impressive work in the SMC 3.80 mod to make a beautiful HD video with. However it was too complicated for me to completely understand. And I gave up trying to learn it because I considered it too complex. Anyways, man beautiful work, and I hoep you continue on. Maybe you can partner up with someone like Baker, or a pro-coder like Rook or Bam to deliver your content in a practical installer & setup. thanks mate

Thanks friend.
                            Last edited by turtlevan; 04-11-2012, 05:41 PM.
                            Originally posted by Magnus
                            Apology accepted.

Comment

• I haven't use 3.8
                              That's your problem right there... Maybe try something before you post walls of text about it What you quoted is just a changelog/ feature list.

Like Seven said all you need to do is to drop a single pk3 into id1\ folder. What do you want installer for ?

Compilation is adjustable through autoexec.cfg, but if you don't put any autoexec.cfg into id1\ it'll still work and use default settings.
                              There are comments right in the 'autoexec ID1 SAMPLE V3.80 !!!! .cfg' next to variables, that explain what they do.
                              You can rename this sample to autoexec.cfg, copy it into id1\ and change variables in it to your taste.

For example autoexec.cfg section about gibs you asked for looks like this:

set gibsmultiplier 1 // "0"= no gibs (only 1 head gib) "1" = original Quake gib quantity "2" = double gib quantity "3" = triple gib quantity (and so on. There is no limit (only your PC power))
                              set gibsduration 10 // "0"= gibs stay FOREVER "10" = original Quake duration time (gibs stay approx. 10 seconds) "20" = gibs stay 20 seconds + random ...You can use any value you like !
                              set gibsexplode 1 // "0"= gibs only fade away (become smaller and transparent) "1" = gibs fade away and leave a blood splat behind them
                              set kickgibs 1 // "0"= disables kickable gibs+ heads "1" = enables kickable gibs+ heads
                              What the hell is not clear about this ?

The only thing I disagree is that default settings are good fit for everyone, kickgibs right there is a bit on ridiculous side
                              But like Seven said you have to play first with default settings few levels, before you can decide for yourself what you like and what you don't like.

Edit:
                              There always was txt file with detailed cvars descriptions.
                              Only difference is that descriptions are now as a comments right there in the autoexec.cfg, next to variables you can change.

Only advise for Seven I can have is to put SMC.pk3 and sample autoexec.cfg into main zip folder and all the more detailed readmes threw into a single folder, like:
                              ZIP\
                              ___ SMC.pk3
                              ___ sample_autoexec.cfg
                              ___ READMES\
                              Last edited by _Smith_; 04-12-2012, 05:29 AM.
                              Quake HD: Embrace the decline and have some guilty pleasure with it, or join a club for monocled gentlemen at quaddicted and play Quake the way it's meant to be played.

Comment

• Just tried MP1 SMC.
                                Lasergun particle effects are very good

Seven I love the invisilbe Effect! Great work!

Just a idea....
                                In Kleshik when Shamblers are dying (falling to the ground) Dresk used the MP Earthquake ....

I think it is "realistic" when such a big monster is falling down...
                                Do you know what I mean? What do you think?

Regards
                                w@
                                Last edited by webangel; 04-13-2012, 09:24 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X