No announcement yet.

Small Mod compilation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seven thanks! I sent you PM for help getting SMC working in multiplayer custom map demos.
    Originally posted by Magnus
    Apology accepted.

Comment

• Last edited by bluntz; 04-18-2012, 01:01 PM.
      WARNING
      May be too intense for some viewers.
      Stress Relief Device
      ....BANG HEAD HERE....
      ---------------------------
      .--------------------------

Comment

• Originally posted by turtlevan View Post
        I tried using your pak that contains various monster skins and the cvars set to 4 for variable skins (im guessing it's random) but it only spawns the same monster

Another thing i cannot get to work is the larger dual particle based/poly flame. Actually I cannot get anything other than the regular stupid little goofy quake 1 flame to work.

The only drag about the custom coop maps is that they look like shit with RT dlits on (i guess because the gross overusage of light sources - and inkobu/romi addon dlits arent made for these maps).

I would really like to get fog & snow to work on these maps, so I'm still working on that bit.

Hello turtlevan,

You seem to have multiple problems.
        In your PM you write that you use different engines.
        That is not possible. The "small mod compilation" is DarkPlaces only.
        It uses many of "dpextensions" features. That is the reason.

The (torch-) flames for example:
        It is by default set to use particle flames. If you do not see particle flames in your Quake, you use:
        a) a different engine than DP
        b) you have another "progs.dat" in your ID1 folder or inside any of the pk3´s overriding the SMC´s.

I suggest we work on your issues 1 by 1 via PM, because you need a very specific cure to use demos from other engines playback in DP and having the features (which is in my opinion not possible).

I am a bit short in time the next days, but I will reply when I get back.

==========

Originally posted by gdiddy62 View Post
        Hey Seven,
        I just tried your effectinfo for 3.80 with the old Jorix explosions. My issue is I like the new explosion in 3.80 but miss the volume (amount) of white smoke from the explosions in the old Jorix version.

Here is what I'd like you to help me with:

Is there a way within effectinfo to ONLY increase the amount or volume of white smoke left after the explosion has occurred. Again, I DO NOT want to change the explosion effect from v3.80 only the amount of white smoke left after granade and rocket explosions.
        If you could tell me which line within effectinfo does this and what value I need I'd change it for my personal liking.

Regards

Jeff

Hello Jeff,

Yes, this is absolutely possible.
        I have the same liking as you:
        - I LOVE Jakubs explosions
        - But I miss the white smoke that stays a while and slooowly dissapears.

It is quite easy to combine these things.

Knowing that you use the program "Beyond compare", please compare the effectinfo of ID1 V3.80 with the one I uploaded yesterday.
        You will exactly see the difference in "Beyond compare".

What you want to do is:
        Copy over into the original ID1 V3.80 effectinfo ONLY these blocks:
        effect "blablabla" // this is Jorix new white explosion smoke, which is visible after the explosion and slowly disappears
        notunderwater
        count 72
        type smoke
        color 0x202020 0x404040
        tex 0 7
        size 14 14
        sizeincrease 1
        alpha 0 32 2
        bounce -1
        lighttime 0
        airfriction 0.2
        liquidfriction 1
        velocityjitter 64 64 64
        ATTENTION:
        You will find this block 5 times !! in the effectinfo from yesterday.
        The effect names ("blablabla" as a placeholder in above example) must not be changed in these blocks.

Only copy these 5 blocks into the ID1 V3.80 effectinfo.
        That is all.
        You will then keep your explosions and simply added the white smoke.

Now regarding your questions about the volume (amount) of the smoke:
        The reason why the amount of smoke is now less is the particlefont !
        The first row is used (tex 0 to 7).
        It is different to the first row in the V3.61 particlefont.
        The texture is much weaker in the new font now.
        --> That is why you see less smoke.

To change it back to the V3.61 visual you have several options:
        1.) raise the alpha values in these 5 blocks
        change "alpha 0 32 2" to "alpha 15 50 4"
        2.) change the texture for the white smoke
        change "tex 0 7" to "tex 8 15"
        3.) raise the particle quantity (NOT recommended)
        change "count 72" to "count 100"
        4.) change the particle size
        change "size 14 14" to "size 20 20"

I highly suggest you try point 1.).
        That is the best solution, because that does not raise the count (= fps impact) and looks best.

Please let me know if you have problems with it and I will send you a file.
        It is a good possibility in playing with effectinfo and get more experience for you.

==========

Originally posted by MadGypsy View Post
        This is like Mega Quake Master Edition or something, at this point. This isn't even Quake 1 anymore.
        Hello Michael,

No, this is not true and it was not my target of this mod.
        My highest rule was to NOT change the gameplay of Quake.
        You will not see any weapon or monster modifications.
        You cannot jump higher or can transform into a fiend.

My target was to keep the gameplay but only add features that makes fun and makes it more "interesting".
        Yes, there are some cvars that can change physics (like gyro), but the default setting of these features are always disabled. So you need to enable them manually. And that is your own decision then...

In other words:
        The "small mod compilation" does not change Quake.
        It only puts some features in it that makes Quake more interesting/fun to play.
        Of course this is personal taste and Spirit most probably hates this mod.

I reached a point where it is enough.
        There will be most likely not any further features implemented.

The actual versions are stable, bug-free and that is a perfect time to let it go.

Best wishes,
        Seven

Comment

• Thanks Seven, I'll try it later and get back with you on my progress!

Regards

Comment

• Thanks going to sort through my .pk3's and remove any progs.dat. I wonder if the RQuake Team Cooperative progs.dat information can be combined into the SMC progs.dat?
            Apology accepted.

Comment

• I got it and it works great now. You helped me a lot. I now know some more values in the effectinfo. I looked at the older 3.61 version and understand it now.....

THANKS!

Comment

• hey seven,
                i had a question....

would it be possible to get a modified effectinfo.txt plus particlefont which has as much of the redone particle-effects that jakub made but which doesnt require any other files then the effectinfo and particlefont?

id like to be able to have as much of jakubs new awesome particle-effects as possible for when i play quake online too without the SMC, and it would be cool to have a special effectinfo.txt and particlefont specially for that which has as much of the new cool particle-effects without needing any other files nor a progs.dat so i can use it for online play

and have jakubs awesome particle-effects too for when i play online

EDIT: nvm i found out it works pretty much perfect to just drop add the effectinfo and particlefont into my ID1 folder and add the corresponding ones for the MPs in their folders as well

or is there a way to get it closer to the smc effects without the need for a modified progs.dat?
                Last edited by talisa; 04-21-2012, 10:51 AM.
                are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
                > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
                everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

• Originally posted by turtlevan View Post
                  I wonder if the RQuake Team Cooperative progs.dat information can be combined into the SMC progs.dat?
                  Hello turtlevan,

Yes sure.
                  If you have the source from the multiplayer modification you mentioned (RQuake),
                  you can combine both sources into one.
                  I do not know if multiplayer RQuake allows a modified/custom progs.dat.
                  If yes, all it takes is a "little time" of bringing both codes into one.

Please ask Cobalt for further details.
                  He is very common with multiplayer/server coding.
                  Because he created his server + very nice modifications of his own.

=========

I now know some more values in the effectinfo. I looked at the older 3.61 version and understand it now.....
                  Hello Jeff,

Very good news.
                  I am sure you will be able to create your own custom effects soon.
                  Please share them with us if you want.

=========

Originally posted by splitterface View Post
                  would it be possible to get a modified effectinfo.txt which has as much of the redone particle-effects,
                  without needing any other files nor a progs.dat so i can use it for online play
                  Hello Splitterface,

Yes sure.
                  Please read THIS post first.

Vanilla Quake knows these effect names:
                  TE_GUNSHOT = gunshot, axe, ... impact on walls
                  ( TE_GUNSHOTQUAD )
                  TE_SPIKE = nailgun impact on walls
                  ( TE_SPIKEQUAD )
                  TE_SUPERSPIKE = supernailgun impact on walls
                  ( TE_SUPERSPIKEQUAD )
                  TE_WIZSPIKE = wizards projectile impact on walls
                  TE_KNIGHTSPIKE = hellknights projectile impact on walls
                  TE_EXPLOSION = grenade and rocket explosion
                  ( TE_EXPLOSIONQUAD )
                  TE_TAREXPLOSION = tarbaby explosion
                  TE_TELEPORT = teleport effect
                  TE_LAVASPLASH = lavasplash effect (chton)
                  TE_BLOOD = blood
                  TR_ROCKET = rocket trail
                  TR_GRENADE = grenade trail
                  TR_BLOOD = gib trail
                  TR_WIZSPIKE = wizards projectile trail
                  TR_SLIGHTBLOOD
                  TR_KNIGHTSPIKE = Hellknights projectile trail
                  TR_VORESPIKE = vores projectile trail
                  You cannot use more.

The effectinfo.txt from V3.80 has all these EXCEPT:
                  TE_EXPLOSION.
                  So you can simply use the effectinfo.txt + particlefont from V3.80 for online play.

I have no idea if online multiplayer servers allow you to use these 2 external files.
                  I never really played multiplayer, so you have to test.

Now back to TE_EXPLOSION:
                  You need a TE_EXPLOSION effect in the effectinfo.txt V3.80.
                  That is simple:

Just rename all effects inside effectinfo.txt V3.80 from
                  effect rocket_explosion
                  into
                  effect TE_EXPLOSION
                  That is it.
                  Now ALL vanilla Quake effects are there.
                  The unneeded/new V3.80 effect names will be ignored.

So you can even use this "new" effectinfo.txt for both:
                  - single player
                  - multiplayer

You only need the TE_EXPLOSION effect blocks (which you copied from "effect rocket_explosion")
                  (otherwise you will use DarkPlaces default ones !)
                  Place them anywhere in your effectinfo.txt file. It doesnt matter where.

Have fun,
                  Seven

Comment

• thanx for the help seven, works perfectly

i would think you could use them, since the particlefont and effectinfo are purely local effects, and they're not done server-side and such, right?

just like scripts for animated textures, i can use those too when playing online while other people dont use them

ah well, ill see if itll work later in the FFA9 tournament im gonna participate in

btw, what about the multi-rocket effect lines? what do i have to change the names of those too for them to work in vanilla quake?
                    are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
                    everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

• just played in the FF9 tournament a bit ago,
                      and the effectinfo and particlefont worked perfectly fine in multiplayer too

Comment

• Seven I have a goal of incorporating the coop progs.dat with the SMC progs.dat and making a video, just to get you to say, "Wow i want to play this!"

haha
                        Apology accepted.

Comment

• First Try

I've been playing around with the effectinfo from 3.80 and decided to use the impact and smoke effect from the hknight attack for the laser just to see if I could do it and I really like the effect and thought I'd share it.
                          This effectinfo also includes the extra smoke effect after explosions that Seven helped me incorporate from an earlier post in this thread and smiths blood mist.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by gdiddy62; 04-21-2012, 10:49 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by gdiddy62 View Post
                            I've been playing around with the effectinfo from 3.80 and decided to use the impact and smoke effect from the hknight attack for the laser just to see if I could do it and I really like the effect and thought I'd share it.
                            This effectinfo also includes the extra smoke effect that Seven helped me incorporate from an earlier post in this thread and smiths blood mist.
                            thanks gdiddy, make a super awesome effectsinfo, I'll use it!
                            Apology accepted.

Comment

• Seven I like how your mod works in Single Player. I tested it out, working good (except alternative dog model/skin appears to be missing and DP just shows a colorful trapezoid in its place). Now I just have to figure out how to add your creations into the Rquake progs.dat. I want the Gibs multiplier, gibs stay, alt models & skins, muzzle flashes and particle style torches.

I'm still searching for where the Rquake progs.dat is. AFAIK it's just a collection of custom maps. Also I don't know how to open a .dat file. So i see this taking a LOOOONGGG time haha. HELP anyone!?!?!

Apology accepted.

Comment

• Originally posted by splitterface View Post
                                what about the multi-rocket effect lines? what do i have to change the names of those too for them to work in vanilla quake?
                                Hello Splitterface,

When you compare the available vanilla effects from ID1 and MP1 and MP2,
                                you will see (in defs.qc) that there is no difference between ID1 and MP1.
                                There are 2 new effects in MP2 (compared to ID1):
                                TE_EXPLOSION2
                                TE_BEAM

Now back to your question regarding multi-rockets in MP2:
                                The multi-rocket trails and explosions use the same effect as the original single ones.
                                No chance to change the effect in vanilla MP2.

I had to change this in the "small mod compilation" due to the particle count.
                                multi = 4 times more
                                So I had to create these new "low-count" effect names and link it to the multi-weapons.
                                You cannot use them in multiplayer...

==========

I've been playing around with the effectinfo from 3.80
                                Hello Jeff,

Thank you for your ideas and sharing your work.
                                I will look at it soon.

==========

Originally posted by turtlevan View Post
                                Seven I like how your mod works in Single Player. I tested it out, working good (except alternative dog model/skin appears to be missing and DP just shows a colorful trapezoid in its place).
                                Hello turtlevan,

You should look into the special autoexec.cfg sample inside the Multimodel subfolder.
                                In my 'Starter-Kit' is no second dog model.
                                So you must not change the cvar to a value that uses the second model.
                                Please take a quick look into the special autoexec sample and you will see wich cvar value to set.

If you use the 'Starter-Kit', please use the multiskin/multimodel cvar values from the included autoexec.

DP just shows a colorful trapezoid when it misses a model.
                                It does this to prevent crashing and therefore shows a "dummy" model.
                                In this case it is the missing "dog1.mdl".

Originally posted by turtlevan View Post
                                Now I just have to figure out how to add your creations into the Rquake progs.dat.
                                I'm still searching for where the Rquake progs.dat is. AFAIK it's just a collection of custom maps. Also I don't know how to open a .dat file. So i see this taking a LOOOONGGG time haha. HELP anyone!?!?!
                                Hi turtlevan,

I have no idea what "Rquake" is
                                As mentioned before, please ask Cobalt as first aid.
                                He has his own Quake server with also very nice modifications.
                                He will sure know a lot more about multiplayer server modability than me.

He also uses DarkPlaces on his server. So he is the best way to go/ask

Opening (= decompiling) a progs.dat is "reverse engineering".
                                That is not a good thing to do and leads to a lot of problems.
                                You need the source of the progs.dat if you really want to work with it.

Have a nice weekend everyone !
                                Seven

Comment

Working...
                                X