No announcement yet.

Small Mod compilation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seven i think this is one of the coolest monsters to ever be in quake. your improvements look good.

Comment

• Originally posted by Seven View Post
      I am sorry for the bad screenshots
      bad? even on those screenshots the effects looks totally epic!
      i cant wait till ill be able to see it in-game

also awesome that you implented the coccooned state optional, i always liked that in hexen
      sometimes you'd find an afrit that was like that at start and that it would wake up when you got close

will it also include randomized start-state? of course if the enemy should normally be patrolling it should never start coccooned,
      but it would be nice if it would include a randomized normal or coccooned state for if its not patrolling
      are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
      > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
      everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

• Originally posted by talisa View Post
        will it also include randomized start-state? of course if the enemy should normally be patrolling it should never start coccooned,
        but it would be nice if it would include a randomized normal or coccooned state for if its not patrolling
        Is there anything in the "small mod compilation" which is not adjustable ?
        I must have been crazy when I started doing this...

... I just had an idea last night for the death animation of the Afrit.
        Many people complained the death animation in the beta, that does not fit too well.
        So I think I found a better fitting one for this creature of fire ...
        Lets see.

Comment

• Stay Crazy Seven....stay crazy...

Comment

• Hello,

Today I have good and a bad news.

As usual we start with the good one:
            As requested I added a "special"-sized spider replacement for the shambler into the mod today.
            Webangel and JDSTONER mentioned it.
            Now you can choose the size for the shambler replacement if you want.
            (with correct bbox, gibs, projectile spawn origin, and animations)

Regular size (as all other spiders too):

Big size (which is approx. the size of the shambler):

Now the bad news:

I noticed a load/save bug with the replacement monsters.
            It seems that the savegame does not save the necessary/correct data...
            When you load a game that you saved before (in the same map, with the same progs.dat), your game will be full of bugs, like: wrong sounds, missing models, etc.

That is a major problem and I do not know if it can be fixed.

That seems to be the stopper for further development of this mod, because saving is important in single player.

Sad but true.
            Seven

Comment

• bugs, like: wrong sounds, missing models, etc.
              I did find in a few maps but i did not know if it was the map or the smc or what.

in one map i could not get the gold key to show up becouse it seemed a monster was missing in the kill count trigger.

and in one map i kept hearing monster sounds in an empty room. but i thought it may have just been the mapper messing with my head.

i bet you will find a workaround. at least i no longer turn in to a head gib.

maybe its time for a SMC quake engine or something IDK

the replacement monster have been a lot of fun. i hope you can still keep making them.

Comment

• Just noticed your post seven and I have faith that you can find a workaround!! New monsters must be in Quake and you must be able to continue SMC!!

Comment

• hope you can find a way to solve the problem you are having seven

if anyone can, its you, quakeone's master of QC
                  Last edited by talisa; 06-08-2013, 06:40 AM.
                  are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
                  everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

• I haven't looked at your source in a long time seven, but if you send me a current source (no other stuff, just source) I can help you find a workaround or a fix. We could have this fixed in a few hours probably. I have to work today and tomorrow, but I'm off for 3 days after that.

Just PM me the source if you want my help.

your game will be full of bugs
                    At very first I thought you meant spiders lol.

quakeone's master of QC
                    speculation: I don't believe there is anyone here that can hold a candle to Spike. That dude probably knows exactly what's wrong with Seven's code without even looking at it.
                    Last edited by MadGypsy; 06-08-2013, 07:13 AM.
                    http://www.nextgenquake.com

Comment

• Hello,

First of all, Thank you for your replies and wishes.
                      Secondly, I am far far away from beeing a master or anything near that.
                      I do not feel comfortable when people calling me this, as it is not true.
                      If you want to meet Quake code masters, you have to visit inside3d.

The issue with the savegames:
                      The fact, that the game runs without issues but brings issues when a savegame is loaded makes it very difficult for me to find the reason for this.
                      Even when you use the replacement monsters via their spawn function in a new ceated custom map:
                      - monster_afrit
                      - monster_spider
                      Everything works just fine. Also saving/loading works fine then !

So it MUST be the way the id1 monster are replaced with the new ones in the code.
                      But even this works fine, because when the map starts, there are no issues.
                      So we are back again at the savegame files to look for the root cause...

More knowledge was needed what the game saves and what not.
                      So I studied several save files and tried to understand it better.

After several hours trail and error, I finally found the reason.
                      That was the most surreal thing I did for a long time...
                      ... looking for a mistake, even though the game runs fine.

To make it short, the save-issue must be avoided by 2 things:
                      1.) precache the replacement monster´s sound/model files in worldspawn ()
                      Even though ALL id1 monster precache their files in their corresponding spawn function ("monster_xxx").
                      2.) You must create a duplicate of the monster you want to replace
                      A copy/duplicate must be created with "copyentity (self, replace);" and a short time after, you can remove the original, while the copy runs through the new monsters spawn function "monster_afrit" or "monster_spider".

Again, both things are not necessary for normal playing. But after loading a saved game they seem to be mandatory...

But most important thing is, that it seems to work now.
                      I saved/loaded around 20 times and didnt find any issues.

Now I am happy to say that the Afrit is completely finished, as well as all the other things I wanted to bring into Ver.4.30

Time to pack some files, write documentation and upload...

Best wishes,
                      Seven

Comment

• awesome! great to hear you've found the root of the problem and managed to fix it seven

cant wait for the next update. and hope'll implent all the latest stuff into the mission-packs too then
                        especially would be awesome to have the afrit in rogue too, im sure he'll fit perfectly into rogue cuz its more dark and castle themed <3

Comment

• saved games work by dumping all entities to disk.
                          load games work by starting the map as normal, deleting all entities, then loading the ents out of the save.

this means that if the precached models don't match between the 'map as normal' and the saved game, you get weirdness (which can happen via use of the random() builtin or via cvars, in which case, just precache both models+sounds which as you claim fixed it).
                          of course, I was under the impression that DP saved precaches inside the saved game so mitigates that particular issue (though presumably can still suffer from makestatic/staticsound etc issues). maybe you have some legacy saved game format setting enabled?
                          I don't see how copyentity will fix anything except for maybe resulting in think functions which do the extra precaches for you.
                          Some Game Thing

Comment

• Can't wait!!

Comment

• Originally posted by talisa View Post
                              cant wait for the next update. and hope'll implent all the latest stuff into the mission-packs too then
                              especially would be awesome to have the afrit in rogue too, im sure he'll fit perfectly into rogue cuz its more dark and castle themed <3
                              There is quite a big difference between the latest ROGUE version v4.15 and the upcoming v4.30. But of course most of it is focused on replacement monsters.
                              If you use a comparism program, like "winmerge" or "Beyond compare", and compare sources from ID1 v4.15 with v4.30 everybody can add the things into the mission pack sources as well.
                              Just be carefull with the statues as they use modified code and that goes through like a red thread until the killing of corpses code.
                              Other than that, it is a copy/paste job.

But yes, once v4.30 proved to be bugfree it is next on the ToDo list ...

======================

Hello Spike,

Thank you for taking your time to post.
                              Your given information matches the experience I made during searching the root cause for the issue.
                              By reading the .sav file, all the ents with all their actual status, thinks and properties are listed.

I could only imagine how "loading" works. Because I never read anything about it.
                              Now, that you say, that the map is started as normal, explains much
                              Example:
                              The original map doesnt know the new monster types/classes.
                              So it loads a soldier, even though it was replaced (via random cvar) with a spider.
                              The save game tells the engine to spawn the spider model where the soldier should be, so that is all right, and it also tells it the correct thinks and self_th´s, but the main issue, it doesnt tell that the sounds from the spider must be used.
                              As it doesnt precache it, as it doesnt run "monster_spider", it only ran "monster_army".

That is why precaching the model and sound files in worldspawn() helps a lot.

But it still wasnt enough, for whatever reason.
                              I had to copy the entity in the replacing process.
                              That was the second issue that leads to the save bug.
                              Without it, i still got weirdness...

But anyhow, thank you very much for explaining how saving/loading works.
                              It is now more clear and confirmed why the save-issue happened.

Regarding DP´s extended .sav file:
                              Yes, you are right, DP saves additional information at the end of .sav files.
                              Mostly what files have been precached, and some others.
                              BUT, it comments these lines out. (at least with default cvars).
                              So it doesnt make use of the lines by default.
                              This is how it looks:

/*
                              // DarkPlaces extended savegame
                              */

Thank you all for your interest and support for this mod.
                              Seven

Comment

• So anyone could just go to the .sav and uncomment the extended part and voila, they have their game back?

What's the console command to tell DP not to comment out the extended part?

[[alternate way of looking at it]]
                                http://www.nextgenquake.com

Comment

Working...
                                X