Small Mod compilation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ArDaMaX View Post
    lavaballs etc dont seem to light up the walls as they pass by, with real time lighting, as they should

Not sure why, as am i why the light doesnt make actual visible beams like in the example Hmmm

Hello ArDaMaX,

Lava balls in start map for example have/spawn a light source.
    They do this independent to real time lighting setting.
    Even with default config and 'normal' lighting settings they do this.
    That is independent to the "small mod compilation".

Regarding the lightbeam from windows:
    They are not included in this mod.
    You will need Webangel´s mod for them, as that mod contains the lightbeam model.
    Be aware that the lightbeam will kill your performance in many maps, so use it with caution.
    You will need modified .ent files for the lightbeams to appear.
    Start with only start maps .ent file I suggest and then add other maps slowly.

What makes Webangel´s mod special and amazing are the animated world textures !
    They are really outstanding and gives Quake a real boost of "living"/"realism".
    That is reason enough to use Webangels mod.

But as said above:
    Be careful with lightbeams !
    I personaly use them in only very few maps.

Fortunately you can seperate the lightbeam effect very easy from the animated world textures.
    You simply have to delete the "maps" folder in webangels .pk3.

Have fun with your Quake !

Comment

• Thanks! Yea, ill hold off on the light beams for now haha, got it running really nicely on 64x at the moment i can live without them for now 4 sure! I am loving it, thanks again for the assistance!

Originally posted by Seven View Post
      Hello ArDaMaX,

Lava balls in start map for example have/spawn a light source.
      They do this independent to real time lighting setting.
      Even with default config and 'normal' lighting settings they do this.
      That is independent to the "small mod compilation".

Regarding the lightbeam from windows:
      They are not included in this mod.
      You will need Webangel´s mod for them, as that mod contains the lightbeam model.
      Be aware that the lightbeam will kill your performance in many maps, so use it with caution.
      You will need modified .ent files for the lightbeams to appear.
      Start with only start maps .ent file I suggest and then add other maps slowly.

What makes Webangel´s mod special and amazing are the animated world textures !
      They are really outstanding and gives Quake a real boost of "living"/"realism".
      That is reason enough to use Webangels mod.

But as said above:
      Be careful with lightbeams !
      I personaly use them in only very few maps.

Fortunately you can seperate the lightbeam effect very easy from the animated world textures.
      You simply have to delete the "maps" folder in webangels .pk3.

Have fun with your Quake !

Comment

• Hello,

Last weeks have been busy with working in/at the house.
        Now it is getting better again and also cooler here in Germany (thank god).

I know, interest is low but for those who still are, I would like to outline briefly what I'm working on (for the next release):

1.) A new swimming monster
        Stronger than the weak fishes. With additional ranged attack and a nice *special* ability.

2.) Twitching corpses
        Inspired by kleshik, but extended in implementation (every monster has its own frames), visual and adjustability

3.) A simple form of ragdoll
        Using Gyro made it possible to shoot monsters/corpses around. Next logical step is some kind of *ragdoll*. It is of course a simple version of ragdoll, as I do not want to add any form of skeletal models or new animations. I want to use existing/original ones whenever possible.
        There was a way to achieve at least *something* for the corpses.

4.) Increase loading speed for some maps
        Smarter usage of precache code

5.) Possibility to add animated/loop models via .ent file into maps
        Not only specific frames but custom animation loops for models

6.) New Hellknight monster variation
        Adding new abbilities to the converted Dawn of Darkness Hellknight. Making it an alternative / adjustable monster.

7.) Interactive evil textures
        There are these special textures in Quake with the evil faces:

Inspired by this movie/clip I want to make someting scary/shocking with them:
        [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qir5t9RbEHo]New clip Hall of Mirrors Solomon Kane - YouTube[/ame]
        Rest is still a secret

8.) New flying monster
        Still awaiting approval from author

9.) Updated Starter Kit

10.) some bugfixes and minor changes

Kind regards,
        Seven

Comment

• Hi Seven,
          thats some very nice ideas.

Some comments:

I love every single feature from Kleshik.

im very interested in how to make ragdolls animation without a skelet.

Great, the loading times are enormous from time to time

please try to explain this better.
          My bad english, I know

this converted Hellknight was very good. What are the new abilities?

very, very good idea. If this looks 20% like in the video this would be fascinating

please tell me more.

#9&10
          I dont know any bugs from previous version you havent fixed.

Im so glad you are still working on your mod. Cant wait to try your new ideas my friend....
          Last edited by webangel; 08-09-2013, 05:25 AM.

Comment

• this souds sweet! the new corps effect sounds cool! and im hoping the new swing monster is sharks with laser beams lol

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bh7bYNAHXxw]Austin Powers - Sharks with lasers - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

• hahaha austin powers ftw
              are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
              > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
              everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

• Can't wait! You have some great ideas Seven!

Comment

• keep up you mad scientist work seven!
                  My Avatars!
                  Quake Leagues
                  Quake 1.5!!!
                  Definitive HD Quake

Comment

• Hello,

Thank you for your posts.

Webangel asked for more details about the pseudo-ragdoll and the animated-model-loop feature.

My english is also poor, so I decided to upload a quick clip.
                    I hope it shows better what I mean...

The pseudo-ragdoll feature:
                    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVQcwjUQXug]Quake ragdoll for dummies WIP - YouTube[/ame]
                    I am trying to achieve a basic ragdoll-behaviour in original Quake.
                    By using the original ID1 models (no skeletal or multi-part ones).
                    Also all existing replacement models for Q1 work fine.

It will not look like ragdoll in modern games, but at least it gives you the impression...
                    I am using the last 3 original death animation frames randomly to achieve it.
                    Everytime the corpse gets hit, it changes its frame (more or less randomly).
                    It is still work -in-progress. It still needs a bit tweaking.
                    But all monster work already.

In combination with GYRO, the "Ragdoll for dummies" is born

PS: You can also see a twitching corpses effect in the clip, which is totally independent to the "ragdoll" effect. It basically works the same way, but with random time functions and will always reset to last frame after it twitches.

The animated-model-loop feature:
                    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTE_9TXY51E]Quake animated model loop - YouTube[/ame]

It gives you the possibility to add looped animated models into maps via simple .ent files.
                    Independent to animation frame quantity and start or end frame value.

This is just an example.

Best wishes,
                    Seven

Comment

• Originally posted by Seven View Post

The animated-model-loop feature:
                      Quake animated model loop - YouTube

It gives you the possibility to add looped animated models into maps via simple .ent files.
                      Independent to animation frame quantity and start or end frame value.

This is just an example.

Best wishes,
                      Seven
                      Your ragdoll is very nice Seven. I dont care it is in development.
                      Its nice!!
                      But this animated indian goddess is pure awesome!!
                      How does this work?

Great work so far!

Comment

• sorry for dp.

Seven whats about:
                        7.) Interactive evil textures

Comment

• Awesome stuff Seven!

Comment

• interesting idea, to make corpses change to a random frame when shot, which gives a fake ragdoll-like visual. i like it

being able to add animated models into quake will be nice to, im sure there will be people who can use this
                            are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
                            > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
                            everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

• the rag-doll is nicely done. its just enough, but not too much. the moving statues were also neat-o.
                              My Avatars!
                              Quake Leagues
                              Quake 1.5!!!
                              Definitive HD Quake

Comment

• Originally posted by webangel View Post
                                Hi Seven,
                                thats some very nice ideas.
                                Some comments:

Great, the loading times are enormous from time to time
                                The "small mod compilation" can only influence/affect the loading time when the models/sounds are precached. Not the world textures. Depending on which one you use, they can eat up a lot of time as well...

Originally posted by webangel View Post
                                this converted Hellknight was very good. What are the new abilities?
                                These are the ones I am currently working on:
                                - Throwing grenades
                                - dodging ability
                                - special ability: going into immune state: conjure up shields of reflection around him

Whats about: Interactive evil textures?
                                That is still in brainstorming state.
                                Actual condition:
                                They react to all weapon shots.
                                I plan to spawn a new monster type out of it when they are beeing shot.
                                A type, that matches the evil face.

please tell me more.
                                Not before I receive approval from the model author to use it for Quake. Sorry.

#9&10
                                I dont know any bugs from previous version you havent fixed.
                                - Fish-count bug in original Quake (fishes are double counted in swimmonster_start and swimmonster_start_go)
                                - shambler-spider does double damage now
                                - Afrit gibs bug: When killed near a wall or other mesh, they can float in midair. Is now fixed.
                                - zombies dont use additional death animations in E1M7 now
                                - ... some minor changes

- New skins and models for Starter Kit

Your ragdoll is very nice Seven. I dont care it is in development.
                                Its nice!!
                                The "ragdoll for dummies" makes me really excited, as i like the visual a lot.
                                I had this idea while working on the twitching corpses effect.

But this animated indian goddess is pure awesome!!
                                How does this work?
                                The animated loop model feature is simple:
                                You can add 3 new values into the .ent block:
                                - animation [0, 1]
                                - start_anim [value1]
                                - end_anim [value2]

If animation is set to "1", an additional function jumps in and plays frame value1 till value2 endlessly in a loop.
                                So it also works for models without framegroups.
                                You just need to define start frame and end frame.
                                I needed this feature for a special case and thought I should implement it to the mod in case others might need it as well.

Originally posted by talisa View Post
                                interesting idea, to make corpses change to a random frame when shot, which gives a fake ragdoll-like visual. i like it

being able to add animated models into quake will be nice to, im sure there will be people who can use this
                                Originally posted by syluxman2803 View Post
                                the rag-doll is nicely done. its just enough, but not too much. the moving statues were also neat-o.
                                Thank you. Yes, hopefully they will be used/liked by players.
                                The "ragdoll" feature works perfectly on ID1 monster models due to their fine/detailed death frames. Also capnbubs models work great.
                                The existing .md3 monster replacements often have not so good animations with quite big movement jumps between the frames.
                                Therefore I added a special cvar, that lets you decide how many frames you want to use for this effect.
                                If you are using a lot of .md3 replacements, you should switch to only 1 or 2.
                                If you are using .mdl models you can use 2 or more.
                                This applies to both effects: "ragdoll" and "twitching".

Kind regards,
                                Seven

Comment

Working...
                                X