• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello,

A brief update on the current status of the next release:

1. Ragdoll update:
    Updated corpses behaviour.
    The clip still shows the condition that the corpses always rotate counter-clockwise.
    This has been changed to random direction already.

Be aware, that I raised the copses health significantly to better show the effect.
    Normaly the copses gib much earlier.
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znsTslH0KCs]Quake ragdoll for dummies Final - YouTube[/ame]

2. Evil-textures:
    There was always something mystical about the evil-face textures in Quake for me.
    There are about 4 or 5 different ones in Quake.
    I wanted to make them *special* somehow.
    Maybe like a portal from a different world. Or like an interactive mirror.
    The intersections in Hexen and the previously mentioned clip from Solomon Kane inspired me of doing something like this.

While working on this idea, this is what I came up with so far....
    It is still heavy in Work-In-Progress state !
    It still has lots of placeholders (sounds/particles/models) and some missing sounds.
    Just wanted to show the status and ask for feedback, so I can know in which direction I have to go.

It will be adjustable via cvar if
    - only blood/flesh splats will come out of the textures,
    - or the face model only appears inside the textures and twists and growls (like in Hexen)
    - or the third option will be that the face model will come out of the texture completely and attacks the player (like shown in the clip).

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSX2pNPzJ3Y]Quake Evil texture monster WIP - YouTube[/ame]

Maybe you can help me to improve it ?
    Or was this a bad idea and I should consider to scrap it ?

Thank you for your feedback/support.
    Seven

Comment

• Hi Seven,
      I have big fun with the "fake" ragdoll effect.

But idk about the "evil textures" feature.
      The first scene in your video looks damn interessting (with the teleporter in the background).
      The others arent bad but somehow crazy. I like this new model and your idea but I thought about something different.

Whats about taking some standard world textures and make a normal/gloss animation with this face of this new monster. Or a new teleporter, mirror like PWater (Nahuel made something like this btw.) and then, if you shoot at it it cames out of the prison...
      I dont know, I like it but it doesnt feel correct as it is for me.....

Enough feedback
      I worked a bit on your fire particles (burning enemies - and I love it.)

If someone is interested please tell me your ideas!
      Last edited by webangel; 08-16-2013, 02:42 AM.

Comment

• Hi Seven. Glad you're still improving SMC (I've been away for a while, saw this just now). I would suggest different hit strength for different weapons in "ragdoll" and also no ragdoll effect with the lightning gun and the axe.
        Your video shows two features for "evil textures" and I must say I loved the first, only if the face model would be closer (more similar) to the original would be good. And the second features is what I totally don't understand (sorry). A head comes out and hits you? Why? May it's too early to judge, but that's my oppinion.
        MOD it! Start Point Remake Quake Scout's Journey Quaketastic WhiteDay Quake Terminus UQE

Comment

• Damn, just read my comment right above and I think It may sound too harsh. I don't mean to blacken any of your work! Everything you do is valuable!
          MOD it! Start Point Remake Quake Scout's Journey Quaketastic WhiteDay Quake Terminus UQE

Comment

• I'm enjoying the ragdoll Seven. I don't mind the evil-face at all, especially if I accidentally hit a face texture while firing at another enemy and then have to deal with another monster...and remember guys you can always disable via cvar.

Keep the ideas coming Seven!

Comment

• Hello,

OK, so the ragdoll will be part of the next release and the evil texture development will be on hold (I will leave the code in the source just in case someone is interested, but it will be disabled).

The additional swimming monster implementation is almost finished. It will be the Hydra from Hexen2.
              I gave the Hydra a "toxic tint" spit-attack which will make the water around the player temporary really dark and difficult to see. Just like a squid spits its tint to defend himself, the hydra spits its toxic tint for attacking.
              If you do not like it, you can disable the visual effect.
              And if do not like swimming monsters with ranged attacks, you can even disable it as well.
              Then the hydra will only use meele attacks.
              The Hydra is a well working new monster in Quake in my opinion. It fits quite good.

So, everything except points 6.) and 8.) is as good as done from this post.
              Point 8.) will most probably never happen, because the author does not respond.
              Point 6.) is the last thing to do, but I lost motivation somehow.
              Maybe it will be excluded from the release.... There is no interest at all.

So, this is it then. That is the scope of the next release.

[EDITED]
              Maybe this feature/effect will be included as well.
              But only for the enforcer randomly. It fits really good for this futuristic marine in my opinion.
              [/EDITED]

Hello webangel,

Your fire particles look very interesting.
              How many tex-places do you need for them ?
              You could use/replace the last/first once from row 1 till 4 or 7.
              These rows are usualy used randomly from effects and it will not be noticable if 1 texture is missing, as all 8 of each row are almost identical.
              Last edited by Seven; 08-17-2013, 06:00 AM.

Comment

• That is too bad about point 8 but please don't give up on point 6. Variation is always good if provided the way you always have done with the options in SMC Seven!

Have a great weekend my friend!

Comment

• keep working as you feel inspired. i like the idea of the replacement knight. and the texcher demon is a nice twist. the only thing i would suggest is a different sound. sometimes even when using the vengeance attack that sound gets old. i think some kind of crazy lafe could be good. i like the squid as a new monster the wife and i had been watching documentary on them a wile back and there nasty little buggers. they will eat you with out a thought. they like to attack in groups so it would be cool if you could set it up in the auto carvs to have a low health but spawn 2 or 3 of them at once...

keep up the good work seven!

Comment

• i like the evil texture idea. gives the player an incentive to being more accurate.
                    My Avatars!
                    Quake Leagues
                    Quake 1.5!!!
                    Definitive HD Quake

Comment

• Seven, how do we get the start map to look like yours? You know, with cloaked men with tentacle faces and dancing Shivas?

Comment

• Originally posted by Seven View Post
                        Hello webangel,

Your fire particles look very interesting.
                        How many tex-places do you need for them ?
                        You could use/replace the last/first once from row 1 till 4 or 7.
                        These rows are usualy used randomly from effects and it will not be noticable if 1 texture is missing, as all 8 of each row are almost identical.
                        Im just using 3 places like your original particles.

Comment

• problem with new megahealth model - beating heart
                          -
                          i finally forced myself to sort our all the pk3 files in my quake directory and something weird is going on. i use classic megahealth model only in the base maps and the heart model in other maps. it worked..until yesterday. now the heart model is gone. it spawns after loading the map, then it immediately starts to sink through the floor and within a few seconds it falls outside the level geometry. i added all the dp gameplay fixes to my autoexec, but no change. it's strange, i had no problem with that before.. any idea anybody?
                          -
                          jakub
                          my projects so far:

Travail retextured ___/___ Knave HD textures
                          Tronyn in high definiton ___/___Abyss of Pandemonium HD textures
                          Nehahra rtlights and other experiments

Comment

• Originally posted by jakub1 View Post
                            problem with new megahealth model - beating heart
                            -
                            i finally forced myself to sort our all the pk3 files in my quake directory and something weird is going on. i use classic megahealth model only in the base maps and the heart model in other maps. it worked..until yesterday. now the heart model is gone. it spawns after loading the map, then it immediately starts to sink through the floor and within a few seconds it falls outside the level geometry. i added all the dp gameplay fixes to my autoexec, but no change. it's strange, i had no problem with that before.. any idea anybody?
                            -
                            jakub
                            Thank the lord, so it isn't just me then.

Oh hai everyone
                            Souvenirs d'un autre monde

Comment

• Are you using the ent files for the maps? It sounds similar to the issue people were having with the mission packs. Strange that it is just starting though??

Maybe a corrupt save? Still sounds like when you sorted you moved ent files.

Comment

• to gdiddy62: no, i don't use ent files at all. never did. no extra stuf like weather effects, models added into maps via ent files. it't just 1:1 model replacement. everything else works fine. actualy, i sorted all pk3 files except for the smc pk3. i didn't touch that file yesterday. i deleted all traces of ent files from it long time ago and it worked. i tested classic id levels (dm4 to be exact) with id version of smc. i had some problems before with the broken effects like the frozen animation of spining ghost or missing ammno models, but reenabling gameplay fixes solved that. this heart problem is new to me. it has nothing to do saves. i started a new game.
                                my projects so far:

Travail retextured ___/___ Knave HD textures
                                Tronyn in high definiton ___/___Abyss of Pandemonium HD textures
                                Nehahra rtlights and other experiments

Comment

Working...
                                X