Small Mod compilation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dpvideo005 - YouTube

This was an beta idea i had with your new knight...

Comment

• @JD - what dafuq..
      http://www.nextgenquake.com

Comment

• I thought it looked cool with the ghost mdl as the knight spike... and used the knight spike he had and made it in to the hand grande. i thought it looked cool that is all...

Comment

• No need to be passive defensive bro. It was just so "busy" and crazy looking to me. I wasn't hating. I got a kick out of it.

I haven't played with SMC in quite a while, maybe there is more similar stuff in there now. For someone that doesn't "get" shooting skulls and ghosts at people it's all a bit over dramatic.

That's a me thing. I'm sure other people love it or SMC wouldn't be so popular.
          Last edited by MadGypsy; 09-02-2013, 11:12 AM.

Comment

• Hi Josh,

This reminds me very much of this
            And you know how much I LOVE Hexen
            Good idea, hehe.

============================

Hello,

I need some help/suggestions:
            Knowing that the second skull from here looks worse compared to first one, I still need to improve it, as it seems to be the case the first one cannot be included in SMC upload.

I am no texture artist at all. And I only have Paint.NET program (which is comparable to Gimp). Still trying to improve the texture.

Is this attempt worse or better ?

Before

After

I think this is pretty much all I can do with this texture.

I received Jakubs proposal for the a different particle effect for the both Afrit types (red and grey).
            I especially like the new "grey" effect VERY much.
            It will without a doubt be included in V4.50.

Thank you very much Jakub !

QC code wise, everything is done. I need to work on some textures now and then have to write docs and make the package.

I also tested several DP builds lately and have a "winner": DP-build-20130709

So far for today...

Comment

• looks a bit better i guess. looks more gritty then before, which is good

i still like the other skull a million times better though, but im sure there are people who will like a lost soul -like head in quake

also am very interested in seeing the different particles for the grey afrit!
              i really like the idea jakub had and the description he made about the effect!
              we could have a teaser screenshot of them mebbe?

about the 20130709 build... is it better then the 20130301 build? cuz thats what i am using now.
              do all the shaders and such work in that 20130709 build you mentioned?

also, i always loved that weapon from hexen with the ghosts which zoom around and slaughter your enemies, its pure epic
              are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
              > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
              everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

• @texture - you got rid of the plastic Halloween prop look of it, so it's better in that way. Maybe the teeth are just too white. [looking]... Yeah the teeth are too white. The rest look pretty good now. Also, it appears it is on fire, maybe some charring around the edges or something would remove the toyish look even more.

That's what looked ridiculous to me in the first version, I believe, even though I didn't bother to define it consciously, it was just too clean and bright. You fixed much of that but it could be dirtied up just a lil more.

Maybe add some smoke to the fire as well. Then again, how important is this texture? I mean, is this something that you see often or a main character that you have to fight for some important reason? If not, polishing it up even more might be a waste of time. The original Quake dog is a good example. It wasn't a main focus of any map or even often used and Id just left it slopped together.

There is no doubt that the rhinoceros skull (or whatever that is) is far superior to this skull imo.
                Last edited by MadGypsy; 09-02-2013, 11:43 AM.

Comment

• @MG i think what i was saying miss translated from stoner to sober ... we cool man

I think seven saw what i was trying to do there....

i like the new skin on the skull and i like how the quake logo looks on him it would be cool if something like that was carved in to him on the skin some day...

you do see this guy a lot of this mdl in the new smc he pops out of the wall and the new knight uses him too. im very impressed with that monster he has what 5 different attacks! i haven't seen him lose in a monster fight yet but i haven't seen him take on the zombies yet...

Comment

• Hello Josh,

If you want, you can use that same sprite that you see in the screenshot instead of the ghost model in your clip. As you know, Quake can still handle sprites out of the box
                    Vanilla Q1 doesnt use many sprites, but you can use the flying ghost sprite from Hexen without an issue. Sprites are handled very similar to models in QC.
                    So, you can realize your idea just fine.

Hello talisa,

This is a quick screenshot I made, showing both Afrits side by side.
                    Do not forget: Screenshots can never display a dynamic particle effect properly. But you get the idea...
                    It looks really good in-game !
                    (I left the resolution as it is, so please click the thumbnail to watch it.)

The grey one smoulders, as it is not on fire, like the red one.
                    The red one has some additional sparks. The rest kept same.

Also their projectiles differe now.
                    The grey ones is more or less a smokeball with a glowing inside.
                    The red one almost kept the same.

Now the Afrits realy differe from each other, which is great !
                    Thank you again Jakub. Great idea.

Regarding te DP buid:
                    Yes sure, otherwise I would not recommend it

Hello Madgypsy,

The skull in the screenshots is the evil-texture-monster, which is described some pages before. This feature/monster is disabled by default !
                    As it is not very Quake-like and people, that gave feedback in this thread didnt like it.
                    But I left the code and model inside, in case some people want it, can enable it via cvar.

Josh is right, the model is also used as the 3rd ranged attack of the Warlord. Of course much smaller in size and with much more fire trail, as it also moves faster.
                    The chance is rather small for this attack: 20% (it is also homing the player)
                    You can also disable it completely if you do not want it.
                    It is already implemented in the BETA, which I uploaded several days ago.

Here is a quick clip, that shows the evil-texture-monster and how to summon it.
                    Again: It is disabled by default in the SMC. It was just a crazy idea I had !
                    The clip shows a WIP status (without particles trail and the wrong (annyoing) sound):
                    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSX2pNPzJ3Y&feature=c4-overview&list=UUbX7uVIXqMzBza0YmLJuMdw]Quake Evil texture monster WIP - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

• preview pic of the grey afrit version looks cool

EDIT:
                      also, i just looked at DP builds list and i dun see a 20130709 build anywhere?
                      the latest i see is 20130614
                      Last edited by talisa; 09-02-2013, 02:01 PM.
                      are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
                      > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
                      everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

• Don't misunderstand me seven... I think it's great. I was just trying to add my input on how I personally thought it could look better.

Of course you can disable it! lol. That goes without saying. I'd only be suprised or confused if you couldn't turn it off.

That video also gave me an idea. What if the strength, number of skulls and/or size of them would change dependent on which weapon you use to summon it with? I know that could be considered to be cheesy because you could summon a small weak one with a shotgun and then kill it with lightning (for instance) but, the way you have it set up, someone could actually summon it by accident with stray "bullets".

Imagine this scenario: You are in a fight with a vore (or something strong) you miss with RL or Plasma and accidentally hit one of those demon pictures. Now you have to fight a vore and one (or more) of your evil texture beasts... maybe you don't even have enough powerful ammo at that point to continue using that weapon.

I only see one problem with this. How common is the demon picture? Not really that common overall, so maybe there has to be some other more common texture in the map that is used to summon them. Maybe just go nuts and make EVERY wall texture beast summonable. Miss a monster with a projectile and you are screwed. Of course this would have to be an option that you can turn off and should be even if this was your game cause, that is a serious game changer but it could also become incredibly frustrating on a rage quit degree.

Alternately, you could just take a trip through some maps and pick spots where wall textures are used that aren't used as often throughout the rest of the map. Consolidating just those areas to this mod.
                        Last edited by MadGypsy; 09-02-2013, 02:06 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Seven View Post
                          1.) Nails stick in the sky:
                          This is not a SMC bug, it is a Darkplaces bug (since end of 2011).
                          It seems that DP´s pointcontents-checks are screwed up a bit.
                          I was wondering why rockets were exploding on sky brushes /sigh Try this code, all sky textures have to start with "sky" so you can just string compare the first 3 characters. I use this function to check pointcontent if DP extensions are active.

Code:
                          //----------------------------------------------------------------------
                          // Darkplaces ONLY function (uses new FTE string function)
                          //----------------------------------------------------------------------
                          float(vector targ_origin) dpcheck_pointcontent =
                          {
                          	local float surfnum;
                          	local string texturename;

surfnum = getsurfacenearpoint(world, targ_origin);
                          	if (surfnum >= 0) {
                          		texturename = getsurfacetexture(world, surfnum);
                          		if (strncasecmp(texturename, "SKY", 3) == 0) return TRUE;
                          	}
                          	return FALSE;
                          };

Comment

• Originally posted by sock View Post
                            I was wondering why rockets were exploding on sky brushes /sigh Try this code, all sky textures have to start with "sky" so you can just string compare the first 3 characters. I use this function to check pointcontent if DP extensions are active.

Hello sock,

Thank you for your post.
                            I also was not aware of the buggy qbsp maps before.
                            Spike and Cobalt then explained it to me.

So, this topic has been discussed and fortunately solved here

Only ID1 maps are affected, so the skies that are used are sky1 and sky4.
                            All other skies (as far as I tested) used a bugfree map compiler and therefore the original pointcontents code from rockets and nails are working fine.

Best wishes.

Comment

• Originally posted by Seven View Post
                              Only ID1 maps are affected, so the skies that are used are sky1 and sky4.
                              All other skies (as far as I tested) used a bugfree map compiler and therefore the original pointcontents code from rockets and nails are working fine.
                              Umm I am using the latest Quake compiler tools from Bengt Jardrup which most mappers from Func use and the sky pointcontent bug is still a problem. I get the DP pointcontent bug in my maps (hence my code fix) and I even quickly tested your MOD with the latest map released over at Func, Q1SP: A Past And Future Secret and that has the DP bug. I am not sure what compiler LH/Spike are talking about but it is not a common compiler used throughout the Quake map community.

Comment

• Just throwing this out there: Maybe to remove the bug for Darkplaces you have to use HMap2

Comment

Working...
                                X