No announcement yet.

Small Mod compilation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can validate the same issues that jdstoner and talisa found. I've had the same thing happen.

I love the teleporter effect. It really adds to the immersion!

Comment

• Hello,

Thank you very much for your feedback and reports. It helps a lot to improve.
      This is what I could do so far regarding your mentioned issues:

Originally posted by JDSTONER View Post
      from what i am seeing if you die and you have the camra set to show the 3person death and quit right after dieing the chase cam info gos to the config file.

so when you restart the game the demo is in 3 person and resets to first person in the start map.
      That bug is now fixed
      No more writing anything "deathcam-related" into your config in this situation.

the other thing that could be changed is to still have that free look option after you die so you could look around the world to see what is going on.
      It would be possible, but you would lose your centered view towards the players corpse. And with it, that whole "deathcam" idea would become useless/pointless, because you would not see the player as you would look straight forward.
      So, we have to live with it...

i did run up to the exploding box in e1m1 and gibed my self i like how the cam tracks the head gib. when nova saw it his face lit up and he wanted to do it again! so this mod is both enjoyed by the old school quaker and the next generation too!
      So it was worth it...

Originally posted by talisa View Post
      i really like this effect, but i already added the 'rising-stars' effect to my slipgates everywhere through ent-files, so i wouldnt want this extra particle-effect added to top of that on slipgates too

so could you please add an option so the particles only spawn on teleporters and end-episode portals?
      It is time to delete your .ent files.
      Option to choose from several particle effects for slipgates is now added.

the deathcam feature keeps resetting both 'chase_back' and 'chase_up' to defaults on startup
      You should read the comments in the autoexec.cfg

Originally posted by gdiddy62 View Post
      I love the teleporter effect. It really adds to the immersion!
      Thank you Jeff.

That idea bothered me since a long time, and I am also really happy about how it turned out. Best thing is of course that QC is now doing all the job and adds it to all teleporters automagically.

I have a rough idea how to do this for the lava haze. But it is still only an idea.
      I will try to work on it when all issues are solved in V4.55.

Best wishes,
      Seven

PS: Please stop posting screenshots in these stupid high resolutions.
      It makes it impossible to write posts the usual way.
      Last edited by Seven; 10-07-2013, 01:30 PM. Reason: foo gets scooby doo

Comment

• "It is time to delete your .ent files.
        Option to choose from several particle effects for slipgates is now added."

Awesome!!!! Thanks for all you are putting into this update!!

Comment

• last night i was playing some quake and i noticed that quite a bunch of times the 'sucking-in' effect for teleporters has incorrect placement and in one instance it appeared somewhere where it ruined the surprise.

this has nothing to do with your QC, i can see how you did it and its perfect, but ID made their maps quite sloppy and with a lot of teleporters in maps the trigger_teleport entity isnt centered on the teleporter itself which results in the particles being spawned way off-center

its a superb idea and your implementation to automagically add this effect to all trigger_teleport entities is good, but i noticed in a lot of cases it just doesnt work properly cuz of the trigger_teleport entity not being centered on the brushes which make up the teleporter

just try loading up e4m2 for example, most teleporters in that map have the trigger_teleport entity not centered on the teleport brushes

and right here it just ruins the surprise teleport

i have an idea though for this problem...

seeing as you mentioned before can also in QC check which map is loaded.

couldnt you make a check in QC so it checks which map is loaded, and instead of automagically having this effect added to all trigger_teleport entities,
          you instead make the QC add an invisible entity at coordinates which are right at the center of the teleport brushes, which would be specific coordinates for each map?

i know this would be more work cuz you'd have to add coordinates for where the QC should add these invisible entities for each map, but this will allow the effects to be placed at the correct position.
          and you could still keep the automagic adding of these effects implented for all other maps, seeing as fan-made maps do have these entities positioned correctly mostly

if you would consider implenting the feature as i suggested, id gladly help with checking and providing you with correct coordinates for where this effect should be spawned for each map

PS: this resolution better? i downsized the pics to 1/3th of normal size
          Last edited by talisa; 10-08-2013, 01:52 AM.
          are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
          > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
          everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

• hi talisa
            -
            what you suggest would work, but there is a serious drawback - new ent files definitions would be necessary for each level. i guess seven implemented this feature the way he did because he wanted it to be automatic and independent. generally speaking i don't like those extra features based on ent files. They look great in pictures, but from my point of view it's kinda waste of time. i know vanila q1 levels by heart and i'm not playing them anymore. i'd much more appreciate features that work with all levels and i'm definitely not gonna waste time on creating ent file with some extra models/particle effects coordinates for every new level.
            -
            i understand you want to create "the best quake possible", but now many people here play q1 because of the original levels..
            -
            so... your suggestion is correct and would fix this issue, but i think it's not worth it. i'm currious what other people think. do you like ent file based effects?
            Last edited by jakub1; 10-08-2013, 02:25 AM.
            my projects so far:

Travail retextured ___/___ Knave HD textures
            Tronyn in high definiton ___/___Abyss of Pandemonium HD textures
            Nehahra rtlights and other experiments

Comment

• @jakub
              yes thats why i suggested to keep the automagic adding of the effect implented for all non-official maps,
              so that for all fan-made maps this effect does get automatically added and no manual adding of this effect is needed for those maps

also i wasnt suggesting ent-files, i was suggesting the coordinates for all official maps would be added into the QC.
              for official maps itll still be universal cuz every teleporter will be at the exact same position for everyone in the official maps.
              are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
              everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

• ok. that makes sence.
                -
                i've probably put it in the wrong way. i didn't want to discourage anybody from doing what they feel like doing. it's just that i'm not a big fan of those single-purpose features.
                -
                your idea with qc hardcoded coordinates for vanila q1 + automatic effect position used everywhere else can actually work. custom levels are usually more "tidy".
                my projects so far:

Travail retextured ___/___ Knave HD textures
                Tronyn in high definiton ___/___Abyss of Pandemonium HD textures
                Nehahra rtlights and other experiments

Comment

• @jakub
                  yes exactly. the official maps are more sloppy done often, which is why you get stuff like this effect being wrongly positioned for official maps
                  cuz ID didnt place the trigger_teleport entities at the center of the brushes which make up the teleporter

and fan-made maps are normally indeed more tidy and will have the entities placed correctly and thus automagic adding of the effect would work fine for those

Comment

• i found a bug with player-legs feature seven
                    if you pick up invisibility the legs will still be visible but in a frozen state.

perhaps you could make it so that during invisibility the legs will not be visible?
                    which would make sense cuz you are invisible after all

Comment

• Originally posted by gdiddy62 View Post
                      "It is time to delete your .ent files.
                      Option to choose from several particle effects for slipgates is now added."

Awesome ! Thanks for all you are putting into this update !
                      Hello Jeff,

All slipgates in the game are set up almost identical regarding size and shape.
                      The "soaked in" and "rising stars" particle effects do not care too much (are not sensible) about precise origin positioning, so one standard version for each effect looks good in all slipgates.

Especially the "rising stars" effect is almost independent to z-positioning (+/- 10 Quake units is almost not noticable).
                      So, you can now choose which of these you want.

I will also add the "red fog" effect, which must precise positioned and needs therefore a traceline () detection upwards and downwards to check the exact slipgate shape/coordinates.
                      But with this small trick you can position every effect precisely...

Originally posted by jakub1 View Post
                      i guess seven implemented this feature the way he did because he wanted it to be automatic and independent.
                      Hello Jakub,

Yes, that was the main reason.

Originally posted by jakub1 View Post
                      i'm currious what other people think. do you like ent file based effects?
                      Yes, I like the "broken computer" at E1M1 start for example a lot. It is a tiny effect, but brings much to the ambience. Also the "gas leak" there or later in that map is what I like very much.
                      These things are easy and quickly done, but add a lot to the ambience in my opinion.

I once made a post with a small compilation from several "map effects": click me

These things do not change the maps, but add some variation to them. And you know, how much I like variations...
                      Especially when you know maps 'by heart' as you mentioned.

Yes, my start map is a little overdone in the meantime LOL
                      But I like to tinker with new ideas... rather than playing Quake itself

i found a bug with player-legs feature seven
                      if you pick up invisibility the legs will still be visible but in a frozen state.
                      Is fixed now. Thank you for mentioning.

It seems as though you have still an open statement to make: here
                      Please regulate/clear your difficulties first and respect the conditions of authors.
                      You should stand by what you've done and act accordingly.
                      Ignoring people is not a solution. It will not correct the issue.
                      I do not like attitudes like this.

==================

Dear all,

Cobalt sent me an information about a great idea recently.
                      He is tinkering with entity-positioning on ground/world. Especially on slopes !
                      With Spike´s support, Cobalt came up with a really great idea.

As you all know, in Quake entities are usualy not take the worlds angles in account.
                      Monsters, powerups, items, ammo are always horizontal. Even though the ground beneath them is a slope.

This is the result in original Quake (without taking angles into account):
                      Heads are sticking into the ground and feet are 'floating' in air:

I modified the idea to be usable for corpses in the SMC.

This is how it looks like when the slopes angle is taken into account:
                      Corpses are lying natuarlly / parallel to the ground.

That is a really nice step forward I think.
                      Thank you very much Cobalt and Spike.

Best wishes,
                      Seven

Comment

• Hey Seven.

Good going....def a step in the right direction! Spike also had worked with me a little on
                        some code to determine the angle of the slope, for purposes of applying gravity to the ent. I am developing some code that detects if a player is on a slope, which I will share with you later.

Like you hinted, other things need to be considered such as dying near a ledge and the corpse is mostly resting on non-solid....a bug that has been around for a long while. It gets tougher say the ent dies near a portrusion on the map that for example, is holding a torchlight or flame - calculating detection for the portrusion will take some doing with trace_plane_normal...as its vaules become fractional in cases like that.

Stairs could handled a couple of different ways, movtype_walk so they slide down, or picking a frame that closely resembles the corpse rolling down the stairs, and altering its angles to match.

Comment

• good to hear the player-legs is fixed

really liking the corpses being angled accordingly to the surface they are laying on,
                          i recall one doom engine had this too for the 3D-models and it looked great!
                          so its super to see you did something just like it for quake

also fine ive answered in that thread. i started ignoring it cuz i got tired of people raging on and on
                          about the same crap i gave answer to numerous and obviously nobody was reading my posts fully

Comment

• Keep the ideas and fixes coming Seven!!

Comment

• neato yea realistic corpse positioning always helps the experience too, nice job

Comment

• This is all very interesting stuff to read through. Hope I can get some spare time one of these days so I can try my hand at some of this stuff.

Comment

Working...
                                X