Small Mod compilation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sure thing
    are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
    > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
    everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

• totally loving the new SMC seven
      loved it when it was still beta, and love it now <3

i noticed something though with the new effects, which i dun like.
      the teleporter_particles_slipgates option seems to be linked to the teleporter_particles setting.

you have to set teleporter_particles to either 2 or 3 for teleporter_particles_slipgates to do anything at all.
      if you set it to 0 or 1 the slipgate effect doesnt appear at all no matter what you have teleporter_particles_slipgates set to
      which means that as it is right now you need to have the sucking-in effect at end of maps enabled for effects on slipgates to appear

could you change it so that the teleporter_particles_slipgates cvar works independant of the teleporter_particles?
      cuz i really like the slipgate stars but i dun like to have the sucking-in effect in end-map arches
      are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
      everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

• Hello,

The shambler is a really heavy fellow in Quake.
        Everytime he is standing in front of me, my heart beats a little bit faster.

Now that we learned a lot about creating earth-quakes and -shatterings, I thought the next step would be to underline the shamblers weight and uniqueness in the game.

This was the idea behind this small effect addition:
        He makes the earth shake when he walks / runs and stirres up some dust / debris.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nAgxH0YSnA]Quake Shamblers footstep effects - YouTube[/ame]

Could this be interesting for you ?

======================

As some of you rememeber, in an older effect he already stirres up dust and makes the earth shake when he dies and his heavy body falls on the ground.

This is an old clip, that shows it (at that time the monsters had no footsteps):
        I now modified the shamblers "death"-dust color to be a little bit more brownish and match his footstep dust color (from above clip)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsEeCmtfy6Y]Quake falling corpse sounds and dust - YouTube[/ame]

Best wishes,
        Seven

Comment

• nice idea seven!
          the trembling and louder sounds is a great idea and they're neat

the additional footsteps dust is perhaps a bit to excessive though?

its def a nice idea and im sure enough people will love it,
          but for me personally it feels a bit to excessive to also have the footsteps dust
          Last edited by talisa; 11-30-2013, 09:02 AM.

Comment

• Great implementation of your idea Seven! I like the dust personally.

I like the dust falling from the bottom of the bridge..excellent eye for details!!

I also noticed a vial in one of the hallways..your new health idea starting to come to life??

Comment

• btw i see in clip you're using psychikons quartz-flask

why didnt you just use my quartz-flask that i made for drake?
              wouldve saved you the effort of having to convert psychikons model to be usable in DP

Comment

• Hello,

Some more details on the shamblers footsteps:

The actual condition gives you 2 options (besides "0" which disables it):
                "1" = shambler footsteps makes the ground shattering when he walks/runs
                "2" = shambler footsteps makes the ground shattering when he walks/runs + adds raising dust

The shattering is noticable in a radius between 400 and 500 Quake units around the shambler. And it does not disturb the players movement or something, as it is just a slight shake.
                Finding the correct values for it was tricky. Most of the "feeling" comes from a screen tilt via punchangle.
                The youtube clip unfortunately cannot really show it.
                The dust amount and properties is of course customizable in the effectinfo as usual.

Yes Jeff,

I forgot to remove the beta health potion for the clip...
                It is almost done and I will also record a small clip, so you do not need to buy the pig in a poke if anybody should be interested.

Talisa,

Well, the models look better and have a lot of nice details which I spoke about in the other thread. In the actual condition you can choose between 2 sets via cvar (Jonathan Psychikon Jensen + veirdo).
                But the secret lies in the animation / particles for Quake
                ... but more details about it later.

Best regards,
                Seven

Comment

• The shambler's footstep sound effects does match well. That will definetly let you know if one is near (or maybe two).

Comment

• nice work seven i always liked the burning foot prints on the demon and this effect for the shambler looks cool! hears an idea for a million more lines of code... what if the monsters left bleeding foot prints too like the player dose... no matter what its just good to see you playing with quake

Comment

• Hi Seven,
                      I like your ideas.
                      Thank you for continuing your work!

P.S.
                      I love the falling Shambler effect since I saw it in Kleshik

...and thanx for your sweet mail attachment Seven.

Sorry for being slow with my answers atm...

Comment

• Originally posted by Frost R17 View Post
                        The shambler's footstep sound effects does match well. That will definetly let you know if one is near (or maybe two).
                        Hello Frost R17,

It is a double-edged sword...
                        The radius around the shambler, in which you "feel" his foosteps, is between 400 and 500 Quake units. You start to hear his footsteps around 300 Quake units away from him.
                        It is difficult to say if this combination is good or bad. You need to test it.
                        It also means sometimes that you can already "feel" a shambler when you dont see or hear him yet. Which is kind of scary
                        Sometimes it may feel odd. So people have to decide for themselves if they like it or not. Thank good it can be disabled.

Originally posted by JDSTONER View Post
                        ... hears an idea for a million more lines of code... what if the monsters left bleeding foot prints too like the player dose...
                        Hello Josh,

Thank you very much for your idea. I like it a lot.
                        I made a quick draft of how it may look like (see clip below).

The blood drops (coming out of the body) are almost not visible in the clip.
                        The quality and their transparency is too weak (when in air). In-game you can see them better !
                        It still needs to be fine-adjusted (too keep it look good).

Anyhow, Fortunately you need a little less than 1 million lines for it
                        Here is a WIP clip. Does this come close to what you imagined, or was it something else ?
                        The amount of blood is adjustable in 2 steps (here you see the "big" amount):

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3QsGXEjGY8]Quake monster bleeding WIP - YouTube[/ame]

==================================

Hello,

It was always difficult for me to seperate the "small" health box with 10 health points from the "medium" one with 25 health points in the heat / hectic of the game.
                        And I always try not to waste these valuable health points when picking them up.

Beeing a big Heretic and Hexen fan, and seeing similar health potions in the fantasy / horror mod Grimm: Quest for the Gatherer's Key, I tried to bring these health potion type into Quake somehow. In a darker (not so colorful / garish) look.
                        They are much easier to distinguish in the heat of the battle.

I used the wonderful models from Jonathan Psychikon Jensen for them.
                        Trying to also add some particle effects:
                        - bubble effect
                        - pickup effect

They are only used in NONE-BASE maps.
                        In BASE maps, the regular Quake health boxes will be used, as the new health potions do not fit into the more futuristic like BASE maps.

The beginning of the clip shows Psychikon´s health potions in the game: Heretic, which inspired me the most. Later you see the custom particle effects in Quake.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3VAFQnt2fI]Quake health potions and effects - YouTube[/ame]

Kind regards,
                        Seven

Comment

• Hello Seven,
                          I had something in my mind....
                          Do you remember about one of our painskin dicussions?
                          What do you think about? There are many skins but I think we can do it Seven)

Quake should have painskins. I think this would be a good idea.

I like Joshs idea too. Bloody footprints from the monsters would be cool

Comment

• the foot print look grate. what a mess it will make! maybe to make it interesting the wizered could bleed green or something...

i like the new health pickup! a option to make them not spin would be nice to have. i like the pickup effect after you get the health. i did not have the sound on but maybe a drinking sound when you pick it up...

with so meany skins to chose from pain skins sound like a lot of work but it would be a nice add it adds a lot i think when your tearing apart monsters with the nail gun

Comment

• @jdstoner
                              Great idea for the footprints!
                              @Seven
                              Great implementation of the idea and I'm loving the new health potions!

Comment

• love the potion+quartzflask as replacement for health-boxes idea

am a big fan of heretic+hexen myself as well,
                                so naturally i love seeing those items implented into quake <3

Comment

Working...
                                X