Small Mod compilation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by hgdagon View Post
    I haven't done anything Quake-related for months already, and now I'm back with fresh ideas.
    One of those is that I want my mod to have something like videos (not scripted, avi, peferably) both as an intro and between levels. Is that actually possible??
    If you are talking about cutscenes, there are several maps/mods available that has them.
    As far as I know, making cutscenes in original Quake 1 is a really pain.
    Mods like Zerstorer or other more recent maps does it, so you should look at their qc to bring cutscenes into your maps a bit more easy as well.
    I am not a mapper, so I do not know much about it. But there are a lot of good places to ask for help / support. Hang out where the mappers do and you will most probably be supported.

Originally posted by Lava Grunt View Post
    Is there any way to use this mod with Quake Injector? Whenever I use Quake Injector it just bypasses the mod entirely.
    Quake can only use one mod at a time. With mod, I mean a custom progs.dat.
    If you put the "small mod compilation" into your ID1 folder, then it will be automagically be used whenever you play a map, which does not bring a progs.dat with it. This is independent to Quake Injector.
    If you play a map that brings its own progs.dat (= mod) then that one will be used instead, because you launch this map via a -game extension, as it has its own subfolder.

More experienced users put the "small mod compilation" into an extra subfolder as well, to be able to use it only when they want to (with -game extention).
    Your ID1 folder should be kept as "original" as possible to avoid issues. Though this means more extensive usage of -game if you have replacements.
    Darkplaces as well as other engines support multiple -game commands to make it quite comfortable to more experienced users. But that excludes multiple progs.dat´s of course.

========================

Hello,

Thank you very much for the testers feedbacks on the V4.57.
    That surely helps to improve things.
    And especially Thank you to Josh for his catalogue of new ideas

I would like to instantly use the idea of increasing the players identification with his alter ego in Quake.
    Several new effects to influence his senses, especially when seriously wounded, like:
    - optional beginning to hear his own heartbeat at low health, that starts to pump quicker and louder when health gets really low
    - optionally aiming (crosshair) starts to suffer when seriously wounded (Quake´s drunken view usage)

At the end, I would like to post some screenshots from last weeks.
    I was happy to be able to enter a huge actors meeting is asia during that time and had the chance to come close to my favorite moviestars.

Jim is really a funny fellow:

Will is a smart guy with lots of humor:

And Nicolas is just as cool as in his movies:

A great start into a Quakie new year everybody !
    Seven

Comment

• Very cool photos seven... jim has always been one of my favorite funny men thats cool that you got to see him "in living color" lol (the name of one of his first tv shows)

Comment

• Good to see you back Seven!

Comment

• totally agree with gdiddy, its nice to have you back

cool that you met those actors

jim carrey looks just as funny on your pic as he does in his movies
          are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
          > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
          everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

• Seven, in your Small Mod Compilation you can change the transparency of monsters. But did you consider to make monsters fade-in and fade-out continuously? I just love that feature in iq.

Besides, what about working also on impel the third expansion pack?

Edit(1):
            I am missing something, I copied the .pk3 file in the id1 directory and setup the autoexec.cfg file. It seems working, but the graphics is classic-quake like... no fancy Q flames in start for example. What am I missing?

Edit(2):
            Some ogres appear as a rainbow-colored trapezohedron, I guess it is correlated to the previous problem... Help
            Last edited by ezzetabi; 01-17-2014, 04:56 PM.
            Contradiction is truth. Fear is freedom. Rights are privileges. Job is a commodity. Ignorance is strength.

Comment

• Hello ezzetabi,

Good, that you visit quake forums from time to time (knowing you are working hard on Dark Mod).

Originally posted by ezzetabi View Post
              Seven, in your Small Mod Compilation you can change the transparency of monsters. But did you consider to make monsters fade-in and fade-out continuously? I just love that feature in iq.
              Yes, I remember the time when you was working on iq extensions.
              I still recall fighting chton with a big health bar, which looked great.

The idea of making monsters transparency fade in and out is directly related to the time frequence for 1 loop. If it is too long, you will not notice it in the fast-paced-game Quake. If it is too quick it looks weird.

The whole idea for the transparent monsters in the "small mod compilation" was rather born out of fun. It should make Quake more spooky.
              Changing transparency continuesly does not fit into this idea i once had.
              But for you (if you wanted) it should be easy to implement it.

Besides, what about working also on impel the third expansion pack?
              The reason is, that even the both better known, official mission packs Hipnotic and Rogue are used/played much less than Quake. And the effort for Impel would be too big for that small usage.

But there are a lot of other / newer fan-made episodes which stick out in almost every way compared to Impel and even to original Quake, which I wanted to adept.
              But most of them didnt release the source. Patrick´s mods have the source available, so maybe that might be a nice project for the future...

I am missing something, I copied the .pk3 file in the id1 directory and setup the autoexec.cfg file. It seems working, but the graphics is classic-quake like... no fancy Q flames in start for example. What am I missing?
              First of all, the "small mod compilation" does not change your Quake world graphics.
              If you mean this (sorry for my bad english understanding sometimes...). This is done by either Moon[Drunk]´s texture sets or any other replacmenet textures/models set.

The "small mod compilation" is focused on bringing new features/ideas to increase the playing experience, which shall make Quake more fun and interesting to play.
              Yes, it also changes all particles in Quake and adds some new ones (like the flames for example), but no textures.

But back to your described issue:
              This is how your ID1 folder shall look like:

If it doesnt, then first temporary delete all other things, that you do not see on the screenshot.
              I just tested it with a fresh Quake installation and Darkplaces 20130709 and it works fine.

Rememeber, that the included autoexec.cfg has all the default cvar settings, which you can change to match your personal likings.
              This is the line in the autoexec.cfg that changes the flames in the "small mod compilation":
              set flamestyle 2 // "0" = original polygon flames "1" = improved sprite flames "2" = particle flames

Some ogres appear as a rainbow-colored trapezohedron, I guess it is correlated to the previous problem... Help
              Welcome to the club of diamonds ezzetabi
              You will see these diamonds in Darkplaces when the declared model is not found.
              It does this as a placeholder to prevent chrashing.

If you want to make use the Multiskin & Multimodel feature of the "small mod compilation", please be sure to read this line in the readme and autoexec:
              (Additional skins/models needed when enabled. Included in attached 'Starter Kit')
              Your ID1 folder should look like this then:

Please find the autoexec.cfg sample which includes the multi model/skins of the 'Start Kit' in the subfolder of your "Small mod compilation" download.
              This is the easiest way to simply drag and drop and jump directly into the game, without any hassles.

The 'Starter Kit' contains almost all existing models / skins, which I personaly find nice and should be good as a Starter for most people.
              If you are not happy with it, it is eay to extend or cut the Kit to meet your personal liking.
              It is always very difficult to meet everybodys likings, as you know.
              That is why the 'Starter Kit' is just a start

The autoexec.cfg is well commented and should help you to understand the various cvars.

Best of luck and have fun with your Quake, ezzetabi.

Kind regards,
              Seven

Comment

• Seems fine, then...
                Code:
                % ls -1
                Quake_V4.55_small-mod-compilation_Seven.pk3
                Starter Kit - multiskin+multimodel  ID1 monsters Seven V4.55.pk3
                autoexec.cfg
                autoexec_user.cfg
                music
                pak0.pak
                pak1.pak
                % darkplaces-glx -basedir ..
                Game is DarkPlaces-Quake using base gamedir id1
                DarkPlaces-Quake Linux 23:26:23 Jan  7 2014 - release
                Contradiction is truth. Fear is freedom. Rights are privileges. Job is a commodity. Ignorance is strength.

Comment

• Originally posted by Seven View Post
                  Hello ezzetabi,

Good, that you visit quake forums from time to time (knowing you are working hard on Dark Mod).
                  "Work hard"... sure... :S My PhD is going well however.

Originally posted by Seven View Post
                  Yes, I remember the time when you was working on iq extensions.
                  I still recall fighting chton with a big health bar, which looked great.
                  I was really proud of e1m7, yes. You should include it in SMC...

The idea of making monsters transparency fade in and out is directly related to the time frequence for 1 loop. If it is too long, you will not notice it in the fast-paced-game Quake. If it is too quick it looks weird.

The whole idea for the transparent monsters in the "small mod compilation" was rather born out of fun. It should make Quake more spooky.
                  Changing transparency continuesly does not fit into this idea i once had.
                  But for you (if you wanted) it should be easy to implement it.
                  I disagree, the idea of a long loop is that you can never be sure how visible the monster are.

The reason is, that even the both better known, official mission packs Hipnotic and Rogue are used/played much less than Quake. And the effort for Impel would be too big for that small usage.

But there are a lot of other / newer fan-made episodes which stick out in almost every way compared to Impel and even to original Quake, which I wanted to adept.
                  But most of them didnt release the source. Patrick´s mods have the source available, so maybe that might be a nice project for the future...
                  I get your point, it is really a pity that so many maps cannot enjoy mods... It is one of the reasons for which I gave up to iq, a part of course that SMC is simply better

First of all, the "small mod compilation" does not change your Quake world graphics.
                  If you mean this (sorry for my bad english understanding sometimes...). This is done by either Moon[Drunk]´s texture sets or any other replacmenet textures/models set.
                  Well, I was just comparing with the screenshots included in the .rar file...

The "small mod compilation" is focused on bringing new features/ideas to increase the playing experience, which shall make Quake more fun and interesting to play.
                  Yes, it also changes all particles in Quake and adds some new ones (like the flames for example), but no textures.
                  I guess I have to look for the Moon[Drunk] thingy then...

Rememeber, that the included autoexec.cfg has all the default cvar settings, which you can change to match your personal likings.
                  This is the line in the autoexec.cfg that changes the flames in the "small mod compilation":
                  Yes, it is nice. I love the "clone" monster feature, but it should be associated with a way to multiply the ammo and the maximum carry amount of the same amount.

Welcome to the club of diamonds ezzetabi
                  You will see these diamonds in Darkplaces when the declared model is not found.
                  It does this as a placeholder to prevent chrashing.

If you want to make use the Multiskin & Multimodel feature of the "small mod compilation", please be sure to read this line in the readme and autoexec:
                  I am afraid there is a bug in SMC then... However I just setup set "ogremultiskin 1" instead of 4 and I its fine again.

Your ID1 folder should look like this then:
                  It does!

Best of luck and have fun with your Quake, ezzetabi.
                  Hahaha... thanks.

Comment

• Hello ezzetabi,

Are your 2 issues solved now ? Because you say "seems fine".

If not, it is now clearer to see what the problem is.

Regarding ogre´s diamond necklace :
                    Your line in autoexec.cfg must look like this (as it is in the sample file):
                    set ogremultiskin 1

Regarding flames:
                    You are using a different DP builld.
                    Builds after 20130709 have the nextthink issue (I reported it somewhere here), which will lead to your mentioned issue.
                    I just tested 20140118 and the DP issue is solved now. I do not know if your build 20140107 still suffers from it...
                    Please either try 20130709 or the actual autobuild 20140118.
                    Both work fine for me.
                    Be sure to type into console:
                    flamestyle
                    and see if it is set to "2".

Best of luck,
                    Seven

=============================

Dear all,

1.) I saw that in the meantime more people in other threads [1] [2] are complaining, that original Quake is too easy.
                    I think it is a good idea to also implement this into the "small mod compilation".
                    I mentioned it some weeks ago and feedback was quite good.

2.) Next thing that has been mentioned by several people in this thread is to increase armor/health in maps as well as ammo.
                    Together with point 1 above I will add possibility to change/edit the original medikits health points and ammo packs content quanity. As well as the 3 armor values.
                    Default values will be original values of course !

You now have the possibility to raise (or lower) these numbers/values via cvars if you want/need.

Best wishes,
                    Seven

Comment

• "Dear all,

1.) I saw that in the meantime more people in other threads [1] [2] are complaining, that original Quake is too easy.
                      I think it is a good idea to also implement this into the "small mod compilation".
                      I mentioned it some weeks ago and feedback was quite good."

Hi Seven and all,it's funny because I came here to ask you about "this" mod and smc.It's great that your going to implement those options into smc,because I've wanted an easy way to adjust weapon power for awhile now.Will this be put in SMC v4.55 or the next release? Also welcome back and thank you for the great work you and others do here,it's very much appreciated.

Comment

Hello ezzetabi,

Are your 2 issues solved now ? Because you say "seems fine".

If not, it is now clearer to see what the problem is.
                        I think we are in front of a mis-communication... I was not thinking to the torches, they work fine. I was thinking to the Q you can see in the screenshot:
                        "00 custom particle+sound effects Updated 20-10-2013/0 Custom particle effects support sample screenshot.jpg"
                        But probably it is one of the texture replacers.

About the ogre diamond, I reset the var ogremultiskin to 1 as it as default and it works fine again. From the comments I understood I could put any number in 1-4 range.

If you actually allow to change the "ammo per box," do not forget to allow to change "how much the player can carry."

Comment

• Hello seeker3,

Do not hesitate to post/ask if you have requests.
                          Feedback, suggestions and ideas are what keeps this small mod alive.
                          They are more than welcome.

Hello ezzetabi,

Ahh, I see
                          You are refering to the screenshot in the "custom particle+sound effects" folder.
                          You will find several "xxx.ent" and "xxx_effectinfo.txt" files in there.
                          Simply put them into /maps subfolder in your SMC mod folder and your Quake will look like that screenshot.
                          They are samples for the feature in the SMC to add custom particles, sounds and models into maps via .ent files. Here you will find a detailed tutorial. As well as many more samples / ideas that makes use of it.

You will also find some other folders with different topics in the .rar download. Maybe they are interesting for you too.

Have fun experimenting

PS: Ogre´s 1-4 range needs extra skins/models. The 'Starter Kit' only comes with 2 skins for the ogre, because I do not like the others too much. Put more skins in it and you can extend the value "1" if you want.

Comment

Hello seeker3,

Do not hesitate to post/ask if you have requests.
                            Feedback, suggestions and ideas are what keeps this small mod alive.
                            They are more than welcome.
                            Well... what about respawning monsters? Yet another cvar that sets after how much a new monster should come to replace a dead (if not gibbed) one?

Comment

• Hehe
                              Are you planning to implement all iq features ?

R00k made something like this recently.
                              The only difference: They all became zombies (wich makes kinda sense):
                              [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxLD0QTqCEg]zmod - YouTube[/ame]

Overkill would be, if the killed monster would wake up after a random amount of time (something like the SMC´s custom death animations) and then walk around like zombies, hunting the player (but keep their initial model)

That would truly be spooky !

Comment

Hehe
                                Are you planning to implement all iq features ?
                                Oh, you got me But still I think it good, after all smc is better than iq in every way a part of few details... Once those details are there I will be happy

Comment

Working...
                                X