No announcement yet.

Small Mod compilation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• skill 2, clone monster 2, extra ammo... A lesson to all the FPS, this is as it should be.
    Contradiction is truth. Fear is freedom. Rights are privileges. Job is a commodity. Ignorance is strength.

Comment

• Originally posted by talisa View Post
      just had a crazy idea for something to extend on the medieval items thing....

how about also making the armor have a custom model in non-base maps?
      like making it instead be replaced by a medieval breastplate, like something like this

or perhaps something like this, which is less fancy but still looks great

and perhaps it could have some fancy symbol or logo on it which is colored differently
      for each armor-strength instead of having the entire model be colored

i know the original model already has some 'medieval-ish' things on it like the pauldrons,
      but imo it still looks quite modern, which doesnt make much sense either in a medieval map.
      in the same way it dun make much sense that there would be scifi healthboxes in medieval maps

EDIT:
      just did some searching and found 2 not-bad free 3d-models of breast-plates, which are like the 2nd pic
      Breastplate Armor ver. E 3D Model Made with 123D MeshMixer
      Breastplate Armor ver. B 3D Model Made with 123D MeshMixer

Very nice idea talisa.

@Seven:
      Havent looked at your update yet. But I test it the next days.
      Updated features sounds great!

Comment

• About ideas...

I usually play Nightmare, but for some monsters I like the Hard AI more.
        That is, some monsters have both a ranged and melee attack (Ogre and Shambler for example); for them I like more if they shoot and try to come nearby. Instead in Nightmare they simply shoot all the time, if you are in safe spot you do not have to worry as they won't move. It would be possible to change the AI so the behavior is more intelligent?

Btw, in iq (it is actually from Entar code, I just fixed something) the Shalrath has melee attack a part of his infamous purple ball. I think it is nice.
        And I also like the Ogre with nails for enemies (this is mine instead ) that are too far away for grenades. What do you think?

Out of topic, what does the mystical pentagram do when you pick it up?
        Last edited by ezzetabi; 01-27-2014, 07:54 AM.
        Contradiction is truth. Fear is freedom. Rights are privileges. Job is a commodity. Ignorance is strength.

Comment

• Originally posted by xaGe View Post
          Grimlock is heavily influenced by Might & Magic and many older other games!
          Hello xaGe,

I am sorry. It is hard for me to explain things in english.
          What I meant was, that the graphics (textures) as well as layouts, models and ambience in the Grimrock clip and the M&M X clip are looking very similar.
          As if the texture set and assets from Grimrock was used inside M&M X game

But the Grimrock engine has clearly better lighting / shadow and spookyness factor compared to M&M X engine. That is what amazes me the most when looking at this tiny dev-team Almost Human. Indi-gamers and devs do things whole-hearted.

I am myself a role-playing-game player. And I know the games you mentioned.
          I enjoyed especially Anvil of Dawn. It has the same magic-mechancis like the newer game Arx Fatalis.
          If you did not look at Arx Fatalis yet, be sure to do so. It has all the pros from old role playing games and is a free 3D world.
          It has a huge fan community and since release of its source, a new engine is made.
          Simply fantastic !

But I think we should stop the offtopic

Originally posted by xaGe View Post
          BTW liked you pictures. Were you in a wax museum?
          Thanks again for SMC.
          Yes, or like some call it: Parallel world
          It was a really great experience and it was build so that visitors can really interact with the stars.

Originally posted by ezzetabi View Post
          skill 2, clone monster 2, extra ammo... A lesson to all the FPS, this is as it should be.
          Hello ezzetabi,

It is good to see that somebody really uses the "clone monster" feature.
          Especially the code for the multi-skinned clones was really a rocky/stony road...

About ideas...

I usually play Nightmare, but for some monsters I like the Hard AI more.
          That is, some monsters have both a ranged and melee attack (Ogre and Shambler for example); for them I like more if they shoot and try to come nearby. Instead in Nightmare they simply shoot all the time, if you are in safe spot you do not have to worry as they won't move. It would be possible to change the AI so the behavior is more intelligent?
          Thank you for your interest ezzetabi.

Yes, you can edit the "skill 3" behaviour of original Quake for ogre and shambler .

self.attack_finished is the key why in "skill 3" all monsters ranged attacks happen so often.
          Minimum Time-gap between attacks is set via void(float normal) SUB_AttackFinished

Now look into your mentioned monsters checkAttack() functions:
          float() OgreCheckAttack
          float() ShamCheckAttack

And please compare with my float() SpiderCheckAttack to see the difference.
          The spider has 3 different attacks (while all Quake monsters have maximum 2)
          Spider has 1 melee and 2 ranged attacks.

Original Quake code has this small .float chance in some monsters XXXcheckAttack() functions,
          For these monsters you have to edit that .float to make them shoot more or less often.

But for ogre and shambler, this .float is declared but not used !
          So, ogre and shambler will ALWAYS shoot (in "skill 3"), when the distance matches !

If you compare with float() SpiderCheckAttack you will see that I used a random check to decide how often the spider shoots. And also to decide which of her 2 ranged attack it will use. Please see my comments in the spider.qc code as well.

In the end, what you want is to add is either a random check like the spider has or add
          any other .attack_finished delay for ogre and shambler in "skill 3".

Happy coding

Btw, in iq (it is actually from Entar code, I just fixed something) the Shalrath has melee attack a part of his infamous purple ball. I think it is nice.
          And I also like the Ogre with nails for enemies (this is mine instead ) that are too far away for grenades.
          What do you think?
          Yes, I think monster editing possibilities are almost unlimited.
          Only ones fantasy sets the limit... hehe.
          Also JDstoner uses ogres nails in his mod.

Out of topic, what does the mystical pentagram do when you pick it up?
          You mean the one which slowly rotates on the floor, when a corpse burned out ?

Long answer:
          It openes a tiny crack to another universe, where the damned monsters awaits the unaware player. Just long enough to let the unbelievable heat and red flames pass through for a split second and plunge the world into red light.
          But holy worlds defenders seal the crack immediately and blow out the flames of vengeance and protect the player (that is the sound you hear).

Short answer:
          It only spawns a red light and a short sound file.

It was just one of those weird ideas, which I had when playing other games. I think in this case it was Painkiller. You maybe know these red flaming marks which lead you through the levels...

Anyhow, you can use it for giving the player a small amount of health back (for example).
          As the pent vanishes after a short time.

Did you already used your axe to behead the new zombie monster model ?
          THAT is fun.
          Please read the category in the atuexec.cfg for more informations:
          // New zombie model/monster

Have fun,
          Seven

Comment

• Originally posted by Seven View Post
            It is good to see that somebody really uses the "clone monster" feature.
            Especially the code for the multi-skinned clones was really a rocky/stony road...
            It is fairly nice, but it makes the game really difficult in some places... Three times the number of Scrags for example is nice, three times the number of Shalrath is insane... I would be cool a clone monster value different for each monster type...

Originally posted by Seven View Post
            Short answer:
            It only spawns a red light and a short sound file.
            Guessed so...

It was just one of those weird ideas, which I had when playing other games. I think in this case it was Painkiller. You maybe know these red flaming marks which lead you through the levels...

Anyhow, you can use it for giving the player a small amount of health back (for example).
            As the pent vanishes after a short time.
            I see a new CVAR in your future This is a good idea, something like 3 or 5 of life would be great default.

Did you already used your axe to behead the new zombie monster model ?
            THAT is fun.
            Please read the category in the atuexec.cfg for more informations:
            // New zombie model/monster
            What? No way I ignored this! I will!
            Edit: I setup the new zombies as being defeatable only with the Axe. It is a good concept as it makes a normally weak enemy much more interesting and at the same makes an useless weapon needed. Cool.
            Last edited by ezzetabi; 01-28-2014, 02:26 AM.

Comment

• I think drunk mode will teach you that drinking and driving don't mix.
              Last edited by Frost R17; 01-27-2014, 05:37 PM.

Comment

• I got a bug with clonemonsters, the big spiders the ones that replace the shamblers are not spaced enough and get stuck with each other. Also in e1m6 when you pickup the Yellow key the shamblers that should arrive telefrag each other.

And seldom some monsters are stuck in the walls... But I guess this is unavoidable.
                Last edited by ezzetabi; 01-28-2014, 12:56 PM.

Comment

• Seven is offline most of the time, at least what I know; so I recommend emailing to him if he is not able to reply in this thread sooner.

Comment

• Originally posted by ezzetabi View Post
                    I setup the new zombies as being defeatable only with the Axe. It is a good concept as it makes a normally weak enemy much more interesting and at the same makes an useless weapon needed. Cool.
                    Everything that makes the axe more useful / important is good in my opinion.
                    In original Quake maps you most probably never use it.
                    In fan-made maps (due to the extreme difficulty) I see myself axing monsters a LOT of times, because I ran out of ammo
                    Bot now I can at least raise the damage a little for the axe and can survive a few minutes longer

I got a bug with clonemonsters, the big spiders the ones that replace the shamblers are not spaced enough and get stuck with each other.
                    You can disable it via cvar spider_replace_shambler_large when using cloned monsters.

And seldom some monsters are stuck in the walls... But I guess this is unavoidable.
                    With improved/extended collision checks it could be eliminated to zero I guess.

Regarding telefraging cloned monsters:
                    As you know, many maps spawn monsters in secret / inaccessible map areas at map start.
                    When triggered, they will get teleported to another point of a map (in front or back of the unaware player, hehe).
                    ...and there is always place for only 1 monster at a spot
                    There is not much I can do against it I guess.

Originally posted by Frost R17 View Post
                    Seven is offline most of the time, at least what I know; so I recommend emailing to him if he is not able to reply in this thread sooner.
                    I try to look in once a day. Sometimes only possible from work / office with no direct access.

Comment

• to seven

sorry, I don't exactly know how often you are around.

Comment

• "Everything that makes the axe more useful / important is good in my opinion."

teach him to throw it...!!! lol keep up the good work seven

Comment

• Originally posted by JDSTONER View Post
                          "Everything that makes the axe more useful / important is good in my opinion."

It's funny you should mention that, I was playing RuneQuakePlus the other night and had some great fun with a "boomeraxe" which is exactly how it sounds. You throw the axe at an opponent and it swoops around and comes back to you. It's a simple but novel idea and, along with the other fun stuff IEEE and Painkiller came up with that appeared in the same mod, it makes a refreshing change to have something different in Quake
                          It's only a fun weapon but I wonder if the mighty Seven might be tempted to develop this further.

Have fun

Monty
                          Mr.Burns
                          "Helping to keep this community friendly, helpful, and clean of spammers since 2006"
                          WWW: Quake Terminus , QuakeVoid You Tube: QuakeVoid
                          Servers: Quake.shmack.net, damage.servequake.com

News: JCR's excellent ctsj_jcr map is being ported to OOT

Comment

• the drake-mod has an alternate fire-mode for the mjolnir just like it
                            [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wd335NDwEHk[/ame]

if you double-click fire-button you can throw it and itll home in on the nearest enemy,
                            deal a ton of damage to the enemy, and then itll return to you
                            Last edited by talisa; 01-30-2014, 08:19 AM.
                            are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
                            > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
                            everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

• Originally posted by JDSTONER View Post
                              "Everything that makes the axe more useful / important is good in my opinion."
                              Originally posted by Mr.Burns View Post
                              ... it makes a refreshing change to have something different in Quake

I like the word "refreshing".
                              That is how also I think about these kind of alterations.
                              We only have to be careful to not pack too many of them into 1 mod.
                              Coding-wise it is a pain due to the different ways and cvars 1 thing is handled differently.
                              And also the amount of variations is making a regular user dizzy and overview might get lost.

I remember a discussion with Baker and others some time ago.
                              Someone also mentioned that the player should be able to throw his weapon towards monsters, if the ammo-type is empty
                              Of course you can pick it up on the floor again afterwards.
                              But that idea was so funny and "refreshing" !

I recall that I once tried to create "pickable torches". Just like Legend of Grimrock has.
                              And that the torchlight lights up the area around the player while walking and you see the torch view_model in your right hand.
                              I quickly gave up due to my poor skills and rtlights-influence.
                              Hexen2 has a nice torch code which is able to do this though.

Thank you for your suggestions.

Comment

• In the old Quake Done Quick movies the player model shown the weapon nicely.
                                The models are in the death match essential mod, I think it could be nice to have with the 3rd person view

Comment

Working...
                                X