No announcement yet.

Small Mod compilation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• yeah i noticed the same too which henry mentioned.
    you should add a check if the texture of brush above is sky-texture and if yes prevent shalrath from jumping and trying to hang onto the brush.

i also have one request for a feature, for an expansion of the recently-added enflaming feature:

could you maybe add an option to make corpses and gibs that were set aflame stay after they burned out instead of fading away?
    perhaps add an option to make them stay for a set time after burning out, which is forever is the setting is set to 0
    are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
    > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
    everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

• Dear all,

Thank you for your support and reports. That is important and much appreciated.

I always forget, that all id1 maps are borked regarding the sky and that CONTENT_SKY checks doesnt work. Fortunately newer compilers produce correct skies. The smc already uses a seperate check for the sky, via a dpextension that works robust in old and new maps. So I used that one for the shalrath now. And the bug is fortunately gone.

Now the weekend is almost finished (at least in Germany) and I wanted to release the polished version today, so you have something new to play with. I hope you will like it.
      All bug reports have been taken in account as well as all requests and new ideas from you.

Changes since the 1st Beta:
      1.) Added a second flashlight-type that uses a cubemap-filtered light (Jakub´s request). You can choose and decide which one you prefer (see new cvars for details).
      2.) Customizable pain skins for all monsters (independent to used replacement model or texture)
      3.) Shalrath can temporary run frantically towards the player now (hgdagon´s request). That is a really neat new feature. Set detailes via cvar. She is a fast beast
      4.) Shalrath´s jump and hang on ceiling behaviour has been extended a lot. I think now it is really nice and feels natural. Included is the ability to hang on ceilings directly at the beginning of a map, so the player will be suprised from above. As well as only bring her down via explosives or lightning gun (talisa´s request)
      Due to the fact that her feet now really touch the roof, you can safely reduce the space limit between her head and roof (new cvars) so that she also can jump on lower ceilings without looking weird.
      5.) Demon´s motion blur effect is now adjustable so that its transparency matches your individual lighting in-game.
      6.) Enforcer´s protections shield/sphere is unchanged.
      7.) Bugfixes

Still pending things:
      A) Finalize the new Carnivean monster
      B) Continue to work on the new Reiver monster
      C) Add some particles to the ogre (chainsaw things, muzzleflash, ...)
      D) Make also the spider grab roofs and attack player from above

I hope you will have fun with the new Version V5.20 beta2.

For the already existing things (points 1 to 6) it is no more a "beta", as I received no more bug reports and also tested a lot. It is recommended to update to V5.20 anyhow as bugfixes are included and all features can be disabled if you dont like them.

Please find the Update in "Beta Builds" subfolder: here
      (source code is included)

Have a good start into the new week !
      Seven

Comment

• Got around to dowloading the qc. I'll give you some feedback tomorrow after playing it!

BTW, there is a glitch in the SMC when spikemines get stuck in the air and can't move towards you when activated. Also there is a gltich where you can kill zombies with the SSG, SG, and lightning gun. It's not so easy to do as it takes a while, but it takes out the creepy factor of "holy shit this thing isn't dying what do I do?!!!11!1one"
        Steel Sentinels remake project developer since 2012.

Comment

• OK, I couldn't wait, and I tried it out right away. So here's what I found so far:

1. The feature works GREAT in ALL maps. gremlins steal everything, don't get stuck, and everything works as it definitely should.

2. There is a glitch where if the gremlin will steal one weapons, run out of ammo, then steal another weapon, you will only get the second weapon back if you kill him!!!

3. Otherwise, it seems as though everything is in order, although I feel like he could be jumping a little bit more.

Good job overall, I love to watch my ammo disappear with no bugs at all!

4. Wait, I also found out that the gremlin steals only the ammo that is associated with he weapon you're using. He won't steal anything if you have the axe or mjolnir out, and will only steal shells if you have a shell based weapon out. Is that intended?
          Last edited by Pringles Man; 05-25-2015, 08:58 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Seven View Post
            Hello TR2N,

I do not know if I understood you correctly. Do you mean my game pc setup ?
            It is an old intel Q9550. The gpu is a little bit newer: GTX 770
            I use Win XP.
            Hi Seven, no i was meaning your DP-Setup (packages, textures etc.) for Quake 1 :-) I am not up to date anymore but i want to return to Q ;-)

Comment

• great that you can make shalrath's stay on the ceiling now unless shot by explosive or LG!
              i also love how you make them tumble down from the ceiling upon being killed, thats hilarious and awesome <3

the new cubemap flashlight is also much nicer looking imo!

EDIT: nvm i already figured out how to make models support painskins,
              by looking into the smc pk3 and finding in the painskin shader that you used skin2 & skin3

EDIT2: im totally loving the painskins! its something simple, but it adds so much imo,
              that enemies will actually look wounded when you shoot them!
              Last edited by talisa; 05-26-2015, 12:19 PM.
              are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
              everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

• seven, i just found a bug in the latest SMC beta with the tarbaby

sometimes tarbaby's will get stuck on ledges infinitely and will start sound-spamming at an absurd rate
                which causes a really loud monotonous KRRRRRRRRR sound (which is quite painfull to the ears) to be hearable untill the stuck tarbaby gets killed.
                [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNJVk_P9SBM[/ame]

the bug is quite easy to reproduce:
                just play E4M7 and let the tarbabys in that map jump around for a while, and one of them will eventually get stuck on a ledge somewhere
                you'll know the bug occured and a tarbaby got stuck if you sudddenly hear a loud KRRRRRRRR

Comment

• Hello Pringles Man,

I am glad, that you now like the gremlin even more.

Regarding your mentioned issues:
                  A) Killing zombies without explosives:
                  You already said that this was a bug around 6 month ago. Please read my answer again. The regular zombie is not killable with the default weapon damage settings and without the quad. The original code has not been altered. I just tested and double checked it in-game with shotgun, double shotgun and lightning gun. The zombie will go into his "laying on floor" pain frame and will stand up shortly after. He will not die. Please read my above linked answer again to see how you can make him die by changing the default weapon damage values or the new zombies properties.

B) Gremlin give back only 1 weapon when he stole >1 :
                  I also tested this several times now and let him steal almost all my arsenal. After that all my weapons have been stored inside his dropped backpack and I received them all again when he died. It works as it should and I could not reproduce any bugs.
                  You also said several days ago, that when he steals the lightning gun, his backpack will be empty. That also never happens to me. Tested it in different maps several times.

C) Gremlin only steals ammo from the current used weapon:
                  Yes, that is how the code is written and is intended this way. It makes sense in my opinion, because all your other ammo is in your backpack, no ?

If someone else can confirm your mentioned issues A) or B) I will do further investigations, but I cannot reproduce them currently. The root cause seems to be on your end. Try to move out your smc_config.cfg from your hipnotic folder, so that default values are used and try again please.

====================================

Hello TR2N,

I am a tinkerer and a modder. So I do not use many things that others are using. Most of the files I am using are edited or modified or mixed with others. I have around 10 Quake main folders, each has their own purpose for testing new things and see how it looks with other lighting or replacements and the like setups.
                  But of course, if you see something of your interest in any of the youtube clips, I most probably will recognize it and can send the files your way. Do not hesitate to ask. Its no problem.

====================================

Hello talisa,

I am glad you like the new features. The goal of the "small mod compilation" is to include what the community requests. I always try to add ideas and wishes, from people who are interested, into it. You most probably already noticed it. That is also one main reason why you find so many cvars. Its main goal is to be interesting and usable for many people, because everybody has different likings and this mod tries to make most features adjustable. The downside of course is the big amount of cvars which has reached a quantity that makes it a little confusing. I am trying my best by sorting them, to keep it clear. Also for the beginner. I am adding descriptions to all of them. I hope they are good to understand (sorry for my bad english).

Regarding your mentioned tarbaby issue:
                  Please always try to reproduce issues that might be smc related in vanilla quake first before posting. I just started vanilla pak0 + pak1 with Darkplaces and had the exact same "Krrrrrr" sound at the position that you recorded (e4m7). So, fortunately it is not an smc bug. It seems to be depending on that chest-high wall. I will see if I can do something in the smc against it though.

Thank you all very much for your testings and feedback.
                  I know it is time consuming, so I appreciate it very much.

Best wishes,
                  Seven
                  Last edited by Seven; 05-26-2015, 03:22 PM.

Comment

• alright... thought it was something new and SMC-related cuz i never experienced the bug up untill now,
                    and i also had the same bug occuring at other points in the same map.

perhaps i just hadnt played E4M7 enough to ever notice the bug before

maybe you could apply the same fix that the fiend has for the issue of being stuck?
                    and make it jump in the opposite direction if it gets stuck on a ledge?
                    and if that alone doesnt work perhaps you could apply a push to the entity to unstuck it?
                    Last edited by talisa; 05-27-2015, 11:17 AM.

Comment

• Hello,

I think I was able to fix the tarbaby´s jump bug from original Quake.
                      He also can jump up stairs better now.
                      If the tarbaby is in a situation which caused the Quake bug before, it tries to jump in random direction until he is unstuck. That works quite quick and during my testings i could only see it once where the tarbaby needed around 2-3 seconds to free himself.
                      The "krrrr" sound is no more as well.

Download

============================

I was recently browsing the quaketastic.com website, searching for unkown, interesting things and inspiration, when I found 2 files which suprised me and I want to share it with you.
                      It would be too much to start extra threads for it, so I just want to post them here, in case people are interested:

1.) health boxes
                      I am a big fan of Moon[Drunk]´s and QRP textures and art. Even though, there are high detailed health boxes availabe I still could not make the step to leave the original simple box model together with QRPs replacement texture on it, as it looks like the original but with the wonderful colcor and texture details on it. ... until now
                      An unknown author created in 2006 new health box models with a special twist. And I at once fell in love with them, because they could be used together with the QRP health box textures. I had to convert it though to do so, but that was not diffcult with Noesis.

Especially the small (rotten) health box has a unique detail on it: A deep crack/scratch/split that lets you look inside. It looks fantastic. The medium health is animating as usual.

For better comparism:
                      - On the left side you see original health boxes with QRP texture
                      - On the right side you see the new health boxes with QRP textures
                      (Please open pairs in new browser tabs to see all the details)

medium:

small/rotten:

DOWNLOAD

2.) knight skin
                      I did not know that Fragger released an additional knight skin after he released his complete Quake/Hipnotic monster skins. Normally I am not the biggest fan of fraggers skins, but this one is very different in style. It is a little bit darker and scary than his other skins, which had a slight cartoon style in my opinion.
                      The new knight skin I found on quaketastic is really nice and for the ones that didnt know it yet, it surely is worth a try. I only added some normals and subtle glow textures.

DOWNLOAD

Maybe some of you find it useful somehow.
                      Thank you very much to the unknown health box author and Fragger.

Good night,
                      Seven

Comment

• thanx seven, for creating a fix for the stuck tarbaby on such short notice

ill test it in a lil bit and will let you know if i still encounter the bug (and also if not of course!)

EDIT:
                        just tested it, had 6 tarbaby's jumping around in that area throwing themselves at that ledge, and none got stuck anymore not even after several minutes
                        saw that some were about to get stuck but they immediately jumped another direction and immediately got unstuck again the same moment they wouldve previously gotten stuck

thanx again for the fix seven, the bug seems to be completely fixed!
                        Last edited by talisa; 05-27-2015, 08:22 PM.

Comment

• Hello,

Today I want to speak about the feature:
                          "Randomly angled ammo + health boxes in maps"

I saw a screenshot of socks new map where the ammo and health boxes have random angles and I liked this idea very much. Because in original Quake they are much too carefully positioned in maps. A little disorder makes it look more "natural / real" in my humble opinion.

Today I tried to implement randomly angled ammo + health boxes into the "small mod compilation". And it works and looks really good.

It is such a small addition, but adds so much to the overall visual of the game. I am very happy that we have this now in the smc as well. You can set the maximum angle value via cvar and the code will randomly position it: +/- "value" . I found that a value of +/- 20° looks best and boxes never interfere with nearby walls. Even when they are placed nearby. There is no need to worry that boxes could fall out of the map, as the bbox is unchanged of course.

DOWNLOAD

Here are some screenshots (with default value +/- 20°):

Have fun,
                          Seven

Comment

• loving the randomly-rotated ammo-boxes!

agree it does make the world of quake feel a lot more real and natural,
                            that ammo- and health-boxes have random rotation instead of being placed at 90degree angles

its small things like those that make any world feel real and alive

just a shame that higher rotations then 20 will cause issues cuz of ID's sloppyness
                            with making the origin of the boxes be placed at corner instead of the center.

but ah well, its still a neat feature which adds a more natural feel to the placement
                            Last edited by talisa; 05-28-2015, 11:32 AM.

Comment

• Will it work for heavily modified .ent files like the Last Bastion mod I made?

By the way, I found this undead scrag glitch on YouTube. Could this possibly be turned into the greatest feature ever? I love how it just stares at you creepily, watching your every move, yet it can't get rid of you nor can you get rid of it. Just a thought. : )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-NK0koMBkU
                              Last edited by Pringles Man; 05-28-2015, 12:16 PM.

Comment

• heh that bug reminds me of the chasing ghost-nail i had long ago once,
                                where there was a nail from the nailgun which constnatly flew back and forth across my position and followed me everywere

would upload and link the vid i made of the bug... but it seems i deleted it, lol
                                Last edited by talisa; 05-28-2015, 03:27 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X