• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1 & 2 have my votes!

Comment

• Hello,
      Thank you for your feedback.

So we have 3 for #1, 1.5 for #2 and 1 for #5.
      Based on this, i learned that people like:
      - the blue-ish color
      - the higher res textures
      - the small/narrow size

That is allright. I will continue in this direction then.

==============================

In the meantime I finished these new features:

- New blood/gore effects
      - Blood effects when shooting monsters with explosives (main important, as it is completely lacking in original Quake)
      - New teleporter traveling effects (see screenshots of 2 options below)
      - Underwater effects

Now I am working on additional weapon effects, like
      - sparks on the lightning gun diodes
      - smoke out of rocket launcher barrel after firing projectiles
      - some more crazy ideas
      Lets see if they come out well enough to release them. They are tricky.

==============================

New teleporter traveling effects:
      Both effects only last less than 1 second in-game !

1.) Matching the already implemented view_zoom distortion, I made a somehow fitting
      particle effect. Fast moving particles sparks towards the player. The animation looks quite nice in-game:

2.) Following another idea was to spawn randomly moving stars around player. This effect I like even more. Hard to see it on a screenshot, it looks quite nice in-game:

Best wishes,
      Seven

Comment

• Originally posted by Seven View Post
        I recommend to delete dopa´s quake.rc file.
        Did that, everything's back to normal. Thanks.

Type: r_editlights 1 into your console. That is it. Now you can really *see* all light sources and use all the existing r_editlights cvars/commands to edit those lights to your personal liking. Find them all by typing: apropos r_editlights into console to get a detailed description.
        Thanks for that too. Good to know.

A torch is a model like all other models in Quake. (...) If you want to have light, you must set a light.
        Thanks for clarifying. I thought the light properties of a torch entity were part of the entity itself, but if I understand your words correctly, when you place a torch in a map editor, what the editor actually does is place a torch model AND a light entity that doesn't appear in the editor.

I do not understand why you post so many screenshots of torches that cast shadows, because that is what they do naturally when the realtime light has this property.
        It is NOT related in any way to the SMC.
        Posting so many screenshots with issues can make people think that it is a SMC bug. Please do not do this as i worry that it only generates doubts about the SMC mod.
        Sorry. I posted screenshots just to show a few examples of what I meant. I didn't mean to harm this thread.

Did you download and try it ? (...) Why dont you post before/after screens ?
        DL'ed but not tried yet. Awfully busy with a lot of different Quake-related things ATM.

The light physics of realtime lights are correct. You can test this yourself in real life: Turn off the light in your room, so that it is dark. Now turn on a flashlight and hold your hand very near to it.
        You will see a huge shadow of your hand on the wall.
        Yes, I know how real life works, thank you... But IRL, the shadow wouldn't be pitch black, and like I said the fire would surround the torch head and wouldn't produce this kind of shadows.

A realtime light source in Quake is always a point not a volume like in real life ! So you have to position it smart to *simulate* a real fire...
        Oh, so that's why torches look like this! This was confusing because the torch's flame has a volume and light entities in Trenchbroom look like cubes. I guess it would need at least 2 light sources per torch placed on opposite sides to get rid of the issue.

On your screenshot I can see that you are currently using some of Moon[Drunk]´s HUD textures.
        Must be from the QRP Items pack - I know it contains conback, conchars etc... so I wouldn't be surprised if there were HUD icons in there as well. Thanks for the link, I'll check it out. I haven't installed the new HUD included in the SMC because I tested it in a previous install but didn't like its layout and icons.

----------------------------------------

Oh, by the way, I like #1 lightning best too. I suggest you also replace the shambler's particle beam with this one. I reverted back to the polygon lightning for now (it looks much better than the current particle beam) but I'm looking forward to seeing this new version move in-game.

Edit: A short video of the new lightning and teleporter effects would be nice, if you don't mind.
        Last edited by Mugwump; 10-19-2016, 10:53 PM.
        ♪ I'm skiiiiiiinnin' in the pain, just skiiiiiiinnin' in the pain ♪
        ♪ What a glorious feelin' I'm haaaaaaappy again ♪

Comment

• Originally posted by bfg666 View Post
          Thanks for the link, I'll check it out. I haven't installed the new HUD included in the SMC because I tested it in a previous install but didn't like its layout and icons.
          There are 3 different layouts to choose from + the support for the new SMC HUD-features. One of them is the original layout, so I doubt you do not *like* it.
          Adjust it as you wish/want and you can use its icons/textures additionally...

===========================================

Hello all,

I only showed screenshots so far from the new things I am working on at the moment for the upcoming SMC v5.53. It is maybe better to show some moving pictures (video clips).

The below video clip is around 6 minutes long. You can either relax, watch and enjoy the complete clip (recommended) or can jump to the following time stamps for these individual features:

0.00 - 1.15 min. Muzzleflashes / Weapon effects (including grenade & rocket launcher now)
          1.15 - 2.00 min. Lightning gun beam effect #1 (which was voted the most)
          2.00 - 2.35 min. Blood effects from explosives for player
          2.35 - 3.00 min. Teleporter traveling effect #1 (randomly moving stars)
          3.00 - 3.30 min. Teleporter traveling effect #2 (Fast moving particle sparks)
          3.30 - 5.10 min. Blood effects from explosives for monsters (blood follows explosion velocity+direction)
          5.10 - 6.05 min. New Blood effects when shooting enemies (Because people requested more blood/gore)

Be aware that I used the no_textures cheat, so that you better can see the effects. I also removed the rocket explosions because of that reason for the clip. Later on I used r_fullbright 1 as well to see all the details very clearly.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyhntSr7Jqw[/ame]

Have fun with the small clip.
          Best wishes, Seven

Comment

• Originally posted by Seven View Post
            new SMC HUD-features. One of them is the original layout
            Great! I still need to take the time to install the latest version but I'll sure take a look at it when I do.

It is maybe better to show some moving pictures
            Cool, thanks!

Muzzleflashes: yummy!
            LG: very nice but I'm wondering if it's possible to make it go more zig-zaggy, like the original polygon beam. And like real-life lightning.
            Blood: awesome, both for player and monsters. I would looooove to see that in the new Map Jam 8 (but it runs in AD...)
            Teleporter: I like the fast sparks, they remind me of lightspeed travel in Star Wars.

Comment

• smc in coop?

Hi there,
              at first thanks for the nice community that keep Quake alive. As a Kid i loved that game, now i can play at it again. The smc mod and the new monsters are awsome, thanks for your work.

Is there a way to start smcin Multiplayer. We will play this in coop, i have a dedicated linux server and the game starts fine but the Sound have a delay of ~10 Sec.

Is there a way to fix that?

Sorry for my bad englisch.

Greetings
              Das_Offertorium

Comment

• Hi there

From speaking to Seven I know that the SMC mod was never intended to be used that way but a multiplayer COOP "extension" of SMC with all of the bells and whistles (and maybe a few more new ones in time ) might be a whole load of fun. Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of RQuake and have to get my "fix" of it several nights each week, but we're always keen to keep Quake fresh and try something new

If such a thing existing existed, perhaps along the lines of the Rquake coop servers in New York (connect newyork.servequake.com:26001) and europe (connect Damage.servequake.com:26001), I'm sure Polarite wouldn't mind me adding an SMC Coop server (even if its just for testing or playing with ideas) and supporting website. Seven, please let me know if ever this idea appeals to you and if you want to try this out at some point.

Kind regards

Monty
                Last edited by Mr.Burns; 11-10-2016, 05:34 AM.
                Mr.Burns
                "Helping to keep this community friendly, helpful, and clean of spammers since 2006"
                WWW: Quake Terminus , QuakeVoid You Tube: QuakeVoid
                Servers: Quake.shmack.net, damage.servequake.com

News: JCR's excellent ctsj_jcr map is being ported to OOT

Comment

• Hi,
                  thanks four your answer, i understand at this time it ist not possible to play smc in coop. Thats sad, it very nice mod.

Greetings
                  Das_Offertorium

Comment

• Monty, is it normal that your european server address starts with "newyork"? Somehow I doubt it...

Comment

• the world is only a village

Comment

• Originally posted by bfg666 View Post
                        Monty, is it normal that your european server address starts with "newyork"? Somehow I doubt it...
                        Doh! That will teach me to cut and paste Now corrected, thanks for the heads up
                        Kind regards
                        Monty
                        Mr.Burns
                        "Helping to keep this community friendly, helpful, and clean of spammers since 2006"

Comment

• You're welcome! Sooo... The american server is called newyork but the european server is called... Damage?! Hmmm, what's up with that?

Comment

• Nothing up, just a little artistic license Given the hard hitting nature of Quake I always considered "Damage" would be a good name for a server. Luckily Polarite agreed.

Mr.Burns

Comment

• Heh yeah, plus it goes well with Quad.

Comment

• ...you saw what we did there

Anyway, back to the SMC topic.

@Seven: Due to personal reasons I haven't had much chance to experiment with the latest versions of SMC, so please forgive me if you have already covered this, but is there an option to enable the nails to ricochet off walls a couple of times? This was always a very useful feature when playing Painkeep (so I suppose the code could be lifted from that ) as you could bounce nails around corners to flush out campers. It also made the basic Nailgun a bit more useful. Don't worry if it's not implemented as I'm sure you have bigger fish to fry, I just thought it might be fun.

Keep up the excellent work

Monty
                                Mr.Burns

Comment

Working...
                                X