No announcement yet.

Small Mod compilation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• @shootable lights: For this to be of any use, it would also require some code modification to make the monsters stop seeing you when you're in the dark, like in Sock's In The Shadows mod. Otherwise the monsters would still see you while you would be blind.
    ♪ I'm skiiiiiiinnin' in the pain, just skiiiiiiinnin' in the pain ♪
    ♪ What a glorious feelin' I'm haaaaaaappy again ♪

Comment

• Originally posted by bfg666 View Post
      @shootable lights: For this to be of any use, it would also require some code modification to make the monsters stop seeing you when you're in the dark, like in Sock's In The Shadows mod. Otherwise the monsters would still see you while you would be blind.
      It is to the benefit of the player if monsters can't see you in the dark, but it also penalizes the player for sloppy shooting if you accidentally shoot lights and blind yourself.

Comment

• fiends are capable of perfectly seeing in the dark,
        and several monsters like the shambler, spawn and shalrath dont have eyes,
        so it wouldnt make any kind of difference for those monsters wether its dark

also, these monsters are chaotic, and they would instantly attack anything they would think they see or hear.
        so even just the players foot-steps would cause the monsters to attack, even if they cant see the player.
        are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
        > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
        everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

• Originally posted by talisa View Post
          the shambler (...) dont have eyes
          That's open to debate, and I personally do see very tiny eyes on the shambler's original texture, on the sides of the mouth.
          ♪ I'm skiiiiiiinnin' in the pain, just skiiiiiiinnin' in the pain ♪
          ♪ What a glorious feelin' I'm haaaaaaappy again ♪

Comment

• Being able to shoot out lights is a nice immersion factor even if it doesn't more directly affect game-play. And it would have some synergy with the flashlight feature, adding in more dark places if you accidentally or intentionally shoot out lights.

Even if you can't kick the explosive boxes towards enemies (and I would still love to see it) I think being able to kick a melee-oriented monster away has some benefit. I think it would make for an interesting trade-off, where the quick one button melee attack becomes a kick with less damage than the axe, but considerably more push-back. If you want melee with more damage, then take the time to switch to the axe.

Comment

• Hello enderandrew,

You surely have noticed that the smc can be used for all original id1 and mission pack maps as well as all fan made maps which do not need a specific mod to be played.
              That is the reason why shootable lights is no option as it should be kept in mind while creating a map and will most probably best implemented via custom funcs_.

The SMC focuses to be universal and compatible to as many maps and content as possible.

Regarding Duke Nukem´s mighty foot:
              If you do not like the pushback that the "instant melee attack" (impulse 20) has, you can edit it to your personal liking. It is just 1 value. The pushback (based on gyro physics) can be changed for all weapons by the way.

And if you do not like the axe in general as the instant melee weapon, you can change the model to a player foot without any trouble.
              It is a 1 liner in the code. The source is included.
              Here you already have a fitting foot model incl. animation for Quake: click me

You can thereby switch the axe view model to a foot model. And you will have Duke Nukem in Quake
              I personally do not like the idea, so I kept the axe as "instant melee weapon". But that is just a matter of taste of course.
              As I said, everything that you need is already there: Code and Model. So make use of it.

Have fun,
              Seven

Comment

• Can I ask a question about how the Rogue SMC works with:

* Multi-Grenade Ogre
                * Hell Spawn
                * Guardian
                * Statue

Now, in my ID1 folder I'm already using SMC with multi-model and multi-skin. I have 2 models and 2 skins for all the monsters already. So in my ID1\Progs (via PK3 file) I effectively have:

knight.mdl_0.jpg
                knight.mdl_1.jpg
                knight1.mdl_0.jpg
                knight1.mdl_1.jpg

(with normal, gloss, etc maps)

The Rogue SMC package includes some textures/skins in the starter pack, but of your 4 knights provided, one looks like a statue. Aren't the statues unique monsters placed differently in the Rogue/DoE maps?

In this post of definitive HD replacements for MP2/Rogue/DoE

http://quakeone.com/forums/quake-hel...tml#post147049

There are downloads to replace the DoE specific monsters. But for example, the multi-grenade ogre model download in that thread is ogre.mdl. Wouldn't that just overwrite the basic ogre, and the ogre.mdl in your Rogue SMC Starter Kit?

Comment

• @enderandrew

in rogue you can only use 3 skins for knight and deathknight,
                  as rogue uses knight.mdl_1 and hknight.mdl_1 for the statues

same counts for the multi-grenade ogre,
                  which also uses ogre.mdl_1 meaning you can only use 3 skins for regular ogre in rogue

for the tarbaby you can NOT use multi-skin at all in rogue,
                  as rogue uses both tarbaby.mdl_1 & tarbaby.mdl_2 for both versions of the hellspawn already
                  are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
                  everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

• Thanks, good to know!

Comment

• One more question about multi-skin/multi-model. What takes precedence if there are .skin files?

Let's say I have:

ogre1.mdl
                      ogre1.mdl_0.jpg
                      ogre1.mdl_0.skin

Would it use the jpg or the skin file?

Comment

• skin-files are something completely different from textures.

the MDL model-format can have multiple skins embedded into the model,
                        but the MD3 model-format does NOT have native support for multipe skins.
                        thus to be able to have multiple skins for md3 models .skin files are required instead,
                        which is used to tell the engine which textures to use for each skin.

skin files are therefor also only needed if the model used is an md3 file.
                        seeing that you also have an ogre1.mdl_0 im assuming the model you use is an mdl,
                        so you would not need the skin-file since mdl has native support for multiple skins

Comment

• Originally posted by talisa View Post
                          skin-files are something completely different from textures.

the MDL model-format can have multiple skins embedded into the model,
                          but the MD3 model-format does NOT have native support for multipe skins.
                          thus to be able to have multiple skins for md3 models .skin files are required instead,
                          which is used to tell the engine which textures to use for each skin.

skin files are therefor also only needed if the model used is an md3 file.
                          seeing that you also have an ogre1.mdl_0 im assuming the model you use is an mdl,
                          so you would not need the skin-file since mdl has native support for multiple skins
                          In the SMC, there are various skin files that point to different textures. For example, I think there are 4 skins for Shamblers, but they also point to textures that aren't there. (Vore3 and Vore4 exist, but there are no included files for Vore5 and Vore6).

Comment

• textures for all other model-formats are found in the 'textures' folder,
                            only textures for mdl's are stored in progs folder

the SMC uses skin2 & skin3 for the 'painskin' feature, which uses an overlay effect on a duplicate of the monster-model.

check the 'Starter_Kit_painskin.shader' in the script folder and you will see there that all the monster-skins ending with 5 & 6 get replaced with painskin0 and painskin1

but i can see why it can be a bit confusing.... i'd suggest to first start setting up a regular HD setup,
                            and once you got all that figured out and get a regular HD setup working without conflicts,e rrors and bugs,
                            to first then make a copy of the setup as a backup, and then look into get your hands on setting up the SMC with it.

the SMC has a bunch of features which use skin-files and shaders in ways that can be confusing
                            if you are completely new to working with darkplaces and how things work.

Comment

• BTW, it looks like the Hipnotic-SMC pack has flashlight support, but no quick melee attack. The Rogue-SMC pack doesn't appear to have either.

Would it be possible to get updated releases for the mission pack versions?

Comment

• I'm not sure if Seven has already brought Hipnotic-SMC and Rogue-SMC inline with SMC-5.5 features, but since the source is out there for SMC-5.4 I decided to give this a try myself.

I used SMC 5.4 as a base, and then looked at how Rogue's source code differed from vanilla Quake, and then applied those changes to SMC 5.4.

I've done my initial first pass, and now I'm to go through the 89 QuakeC files I'm staring at and start to compare them to the source for Rogue-SMC and see what I'm missing or may need to fix. In theory, the only differences should be those newer features added in more recent versions of SMC.

I did notice a few things.

I can't use impulse 20 for the quick melee attack, as it is already used in multiplayer code added in Rogue. impulse 24 looks free, so I'll put it there. Might I recommend perhaps moving it to 24 for all the SMC code for the sake of consistency?

There are no models for autocvar_weapon_position_right support for the new weapons. I don't think I'd know how to create any.

I'm also going to attempt to make multiskin/multimodel work with the tarbaby/spawn and hellspawn. Maybe I'm crazy and it simply won't work, but at a glance this looks like this should work.

tarbaby SMC-5.4 - Pastebin.com

After I compare against the older Rogue-SMC code, I'm going to try compiling. When it compiles cleanly, I'll upload everything along with my source.

I'll attempt to update Hipnotic-SMC as well. If/when Seven releases the latest 5.5 SMC source, I'll update them further.

Comment

Working...
                                X