No announcement yet.

Small Mod compilation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seven was addressed directly in the original post. Anyone else who decided to make it their business was their own doing.

He know's it came from Dark Salvation 100% considering everything else he has in the mod came from somewhere else too. Simply put, if you didn't make it, nor a team member made it, then it doesn't belong to you nor does it belong in your project.

You're right, id Software probably wouldn't respond to a thread, or even the person who did it. They would contact the website owner and ask for the content to be removed for using assets from their commercial game.

It seems all he did was rip the entire model and texture then just altered the pentagram on the forehead to be a Quake symbol on the texture and added some flame sprite behind the model.

Comment

• Hello MangledEyeStudios,

I can totally understand your anger and your post.
      But do not worry, I am not that kind of person who steals other peoples work and claim it as my own or something.
      You do not know me and my intentions, that is why your reaction is of course correct.
      You will find information of the content that is used inside the mod and where I got it from (incl. authors if information is available). You find it inside the posts of this very thread, in the download and many are even mentioned in the included source files.

My information of this special model you are mentioning is that is was made by Kiltron.
      I most probably found it at gamebanana but I do not really remember.
      If you are the real author and do not want it to be used, I of course fully respect it.
      Do not worry. I already deleted the link.

I can understand you how it feels when you find work of yourself in the internet, used by other people that do not care. I am facing the exact same situation myself too. That is unfortunately the way most people behave in the internet.

Best wishes,
      Seven

Comment

• Dug up some more info: Dark Salvation was made available for free by the studio as soon as 2011 - yep, that's right, only 2 years after release, which incidentally speaks volumes about its quality but that's not the point. What probably happened next is not hard to guess: with the studio having ceased activity and the game being distributed for free, Kiltron must have considered it abandonware and so used the model for his own purposes. Now according to the studio's itch.io page, they've been selling the game again since last month.

@MangledEye Maybe instead of being all riled up against Seven who apparently has nothing to do with the "theft", you could strike a deal with him provided he includes all legal info in his readme. After all, your model being in Quake makes good publicity for you. And you should feel honored to finally see it in a good game, for a change...
        ♪ I'm skiiiiiiinnin' in the pain, just skiiiiiiinnin' in the pain ♪
        ♪ What a glorious feelin' I'm haaaaaaappy again ♪

Comment

• Originally posted by bfg666 View Post
          Dug up some more info: Dark Salvation was made available for free by the studio as soon as 2011 - yep, that's right, only 2 years after release, which incidentally speaks volumes about its quality but that's not the point. What probably happened next is not hard to guess: with the studio having ceased activity and the game being distributed for free, Kiltron must have considered it abandonware and so used the model for his own purposes. Now according to the studio's itch.io page, they've been selling the game again since last month.

@MangledEye Maybe instead of being all riled up against Seven who apparently has nothing to do with the "theft", you could strike a deal with him provided he includes all legal info in his readme. After all, your model being in Quake makes good publicity for you. And you should feel honored to finally see it in a good game, for a change...
          Are you Seven? Were you involved in his project? OK, best to not speak for someone else and just drop out of the conversation. It isn't your concern so don't make it your concern.

Whether a game is released free for indefinite, whether a game is released for free for a limited time, whether a game is sold or whatever, the content is owned by who made it and doesn't automatically consider it a free for all for anyone to do with whatever they want to with the assets.

As for Seven, so you say you personally didn't take it from Dark Salvation but instead got it from a 3rd party or they don't remember (usually what people say) well now you know where it came from and shouldn't be using it.

I would say, pick up Photoshop, 3DSMAx, Blender or similar, learn how to use them and create assets that you want in your game instead of appropriating content directly made by other people and their games. If other people can do it, nothing is stopping you from doing it too.

Comment

• Originally posted by MangledEyeStudios View Post
            It isn't your concern so don't make it your concern.
            Sorry but firstly, I'm a user of Seven's SMC so it does concern me when someone wants to screw with this mod and secondly, we here at QuakeOne are a community and as such we should defend each other against attacks. You, on the other hand, are a stranger who obviously signed up here only to claim your "rights" in a very uncivil manner, as Dutch has already noted. BTW, how can we be sure that you are the real rightsholder and not some disgruntled schmuck making himself pass for MangledEye? BTW2, do you intend to put anything in your readme stating that you stole the Lost Soul concept from id Software?
            now you know where it came from and shouldn't be using it.
            It would seem that Seven has already said that he put the link down. He was very diligent and polite to you even though you don't deserve it, so maybe now you can drop the attitude...
            pick up Photoshop, 3DSMAx, Blender or similar, learn how to use them and create assets that you want in your game instead of appropriating content directly made by other people and their games. If other people can do it, nothing is stopping you from doing it too.
            Seriously? Do you realize how much time Seven has invested all by himself in this mega-mod? Not to mention the fact that not everyone has the artistic abilities to craft interesting models.

Comment

• @mangled

No, sorry, I'm not buying that. If you wanted to address Seven directly, and no one else, we wouldn't be having this conversation. It would have been a PM from the get-go. You chose to try and make a public example of him, and now it's backfiring on you.

Regarding your actions, you're not seeing the big picture, so let me spell it out:

This has nothing to do with your claim, it's entirely about your public perception. You're a business, right? You want to sell your game and make money, right? Your conduct in this thread, justified or not, has cost you already. You're burning bridges you haven't even built yet by pissing off hundreds of potential customers (this is the biggest thread at quakeone, everyone will see it). I wouldn't buy your game because of your attitude: I give money to companies I either like or feel neutral about. I guarantee I'm not alone. On top of that, everyone who won't buy your game won't recommend it to their friends, or worse, will recommend they DON'T buy it. "Good news travels fast, bad news travels faster."

If you plan to get anywhere as a business, you'd better get your act together.
              'Replacement Player Models' Project

Comment

• I consider dark salvation game racist
                i am ofended about it
                the invasion has begun! hide your children, grab the guns, and pack sandwiches.

syluxman2803

Comment

• Racist? Are you joking, Nahuel?

Comment

• This has nothing to do with your claim, it's entirely about your public perception. You're a business, right? You want to sell your game and make money, right? Your conduct in this thread, justified or not, has cost you already. You're burning bridges you haven't even built yet by pissing off hundreds of potential customers (this is the biggest thread at quakeone, everyone will see it). I wouldn't buy your game because of your attitude: I give money to companies I either like or feel neutral about. I guarantee I'm not alone. On top of that, everyone who won't buy your game won't recommend it to their friends, or worse, will recommend they DON'T buy it. "Good news travels fast, bad news travels faster."

If you plan to get anywhere as a business, you'd better get your act together.
                    Couldn't agree more! You made this EVERYONE'S BUSINESS when you did not use PM instead of being an ass on this forum. I, for one will NEVER buy a product that you had a part in due to your poor attitude here on this forum towards a very well-respected member who could have helped your work, and who HAS honored your request with respect.
                    Take your issues elsewhere please!

Comment

• @Dutch How would you feel like modelling a nice unlicensed Lost Soul model (or adapting one to Quake) to replace mister MangledEye's "property"?

Comment

• Like I said before, Seven was addressed directly, nobody else. If you replied to make it your business, that is your doing when only one person was being addressed. You can complain about someone's bad attitude if you like but imagine that a person would probably never have a bad attitude if people didn't steal their content. Right? Right!

If you don't like the fact that a person or studio mentions publicly about their usage of a studios created assets within a project they created, like, support or play, then maybe they shouldn't do that?

Learn to respect other devs work and their wishes to not use it and move on. I see the community still has not learned how to do that all these years later.

Is anyone trying to kill or ruin a mod? Of course not. Just don't use assets that don't belong to you. It really is that simple.

I'm sorry but taking assets from someone else's game is in no way beneficial to the original creators of said assets.

Comment

• and move on.
                          At least you got that part right... Since you obviously refuse to acknowledge what everybody else here is saying, please do what you said. You got your wish now GTFO. Thanx.

Comment

• Originally posted by MangledEyeStudios View Post
                            I'm sorry but taking assets from someone else's game is in no way beneficial to the original creators of said assets.
                            actually, it is benificial to the creator, because it makes their work known to people that might otherwise not know about it,
                            and people might out about find the original game when they look up where the model originated from.

seriously, thats litterally FREE promotion for their game!
                            how is that not benificial to the creator of a game?

also... does it actually 'harm' the original creator in any way to have their model used in a mod?
                            no, no it doesnt. the mod-creator isnt making any money off of the asset as its a 100% free mod

also, seven always provides credits for every single asset used in his mod.
                            there are a shit-load of text-files included in the SMC's rar to give credits to anyone who's assets have been used

also, if you really wanted to adress seven directly you shouldve IM-ed seven.
                            but you didnt, you chose to do this publically and you attempted to make one of the biggest contributors to this site seem bad.

thats only going to work out negatively for you, as you mightve already noticed.
                            are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
                            > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
                            everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

• Originally posted by talisa View Post
                              actually, it is benificial to the creator, because it makes their work known to people that might otherwise not know about it,
                              and people might out about find the original game when they look up where the model originated from.

seriously, thats litterally FREE promotion for their game!
                              how is that not benificial to the creator of a game?

also... does it actually 'harm' the original creator in any way to have their model used in a mod?
                              no, no it doesnt. the mod-creator isnt making any money off of the asset as its a 100% free mod

also, seven always provides credits for every single asset used in his mod.
                              there are a shit-load of text-files included in the SMC's rar to give credits to anyone who's assets have been used

also, if you really wanted to adress seven directly you shouldve IM-ed seven.
                              but you didnt, you chose to do this publically and you attempted to make one of the biggest contributors to this site seem bad.

thats only going to work out negatively for you, as you mightve already noticed.
                              Sorry, PM's do not work. Been there done that. People just ignore them so there is no public proof that you contacted them to not use them.

It doesn't matter who he credited and I can guarantee he did not credit the model coming from Dark Salvation. If he gave credit to a person, it isn't possible that he knows who actually made the asset unless he worked with Mangled Eye Studios directly because there is no mention publicly of who created which specific assets to the game.

Even if he did or would have credited Dark Salvation as to where the model originated from, he still did not ask permission to use it. So we look bad for pointing it out but it doesn't look bad for someone using things without permission. OK.

Let's see if Seven or anyone one of you defending asset theft contacts Mangled Eye Studios and asks if doing something like this is OK.

Lesson: Don't use what you did not create and if you want to use something you did not create, you ask.

Comment

• sorry, pm's do not work. Been there done that. People just ignore them so there is no public proof that you contacted them to not use them.
                                Total B.S.! I and most other forum members use this and check it regularly.

PLEASE MOVE ON! YOU ARE NOT NEEDED HERE OR WELCOME..

Comment

Working...
                                X