No announcement yet.

"DP Pretty Water" Update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There's a water alpha option in DarkPlaces options menu, you 2 may have a different values.

Comment

I tried to change those parameters but nothing happens..
      200 aņos de mi querido PARAGUAY
      14/05/1811

Comment

Dani,

as I wrote in this post:
        The "r_wateralpha" cvar, that OoPpEe mentioned, is deactivated once you have "r_water" "1" (done by "DP pretty water").
        That is why you cannot adjust the water transparency via menu.

The transparency is handled by the shader itself and directly by the transparency of the used texture.

Shader command:
        dp_water <reflectmin> <reflectmax> <refractdistort> <reflectdistort> <refractr> <refractg><refractb>
        <reflectr> <reflectg> <reflectb> <alpha>

There are so many different version of "DP pretty water" available in this thread...

Always remember:
        Your in-game option setting for many things directly influences the visual too, such as:
        - RT world (and all RT sub-settings)
        - brightness, gamma, colors ,...

May I suggest you try this one temporary and see if you like it more:
        klick me

Kind regards,
        Seven

Comment

Thanks Seven ! I have to use your config.cfg to make teh glowed, refracted and reflected water. Don't know why. Otherwise the display is perfect. I couldn't believe what I see under my eyes. It's rendering indredibly in my 26" ! Thanks !

Here my system specs :

Antec P193, Seasonic M12D, QuadCore i7_960@3316 MHz, Cooler Master V8, eVGA X58 SLI MICRO, Barracuda 7200.10 SATA 3.0Gb/s 500-GB, 3Go DDRIII-1333, eVGA GeForce GTX 480 (1536 Mo), Iiyama ProLite E2607WS [26" LCD], Windows Vista Edition Premium Service Pack 2, Logitech G9 Laser Mouse, Logitech G11/G15 Keyboard, Logitech G35 Surround Sound Headset, Creative Labs 5.1 Inspire T6100, NaturalPoint TrackIR 5.

I'll post some screens later

Comment

A small notice, I did some joke and VISed the "Travail" episodes. Oh man, I should have minded what they wrote in the readme, that they didn't VIS it for a reason! xDDDD OK, episodes 2 and 3 are playable, but ep.1 relies so heavily on water, it's just insane. I mean, I got a really powerful rig which can even run ne_ruins with realtime lights turned on, but this was just too much! It lagged like hell! Anyway, these shaders are really awesome and make Quake even more enjoyable than it already is. Easily one of the best improvements you guys around here have ever made! ^^

Still, I seem to have this glitch which makes the water surface "jump back" after 3-4 seconds or so, looks kinda weird. Wrote about it somewhere else here. Is it some settings problem maybe, or is it due to some change in Darkplaces?
            Authentic Models Pack
            OriOn's ID1 Model Fixes for MP1+2
            LIT/VIS files for Quake addons

Comment

i have revised travail maps long time ago and it's still playable without any significant fps drops... and i have really old rig. only one map - one of the two secret maps - couldn't be revised due to some strange error.
              -
              jakub
              my projects so far:

Travail retextured ___/___ Knave HD textures
              Tronyn in high definiton ___/___Abyss of Pandemonium HD textures
              Nehahra rtlights and other experiments

Comment

Well, it's probably rather the realtime lighting which caused the significant fps drop... xDDDD
                Authentic Models Pack

Comment

@ Jochem

I received your PM about your issue with "DP pretty water".
                  According to your above post, you seem to have found a workaround by using my config.
                  Well, that is just a workaround.
                  The root cause for your issue is this single missing line in your own config:
                  "r_water" "1"

@ NightFright

The issue you have is engine related.
                  Sometime in may/june 2011 "DP pretty water" support got broken.
                  I have the same issue. I bet all other people have it too.
                  At least Nvidia card users (if it is related to it).
                  I hate to say this, but the only thing I can suggest due to these reasons:
                  - shader issue
                  - performance decrease
                  Use the DP build from 3rd february 2011.
                  It has no negative aspects, except the HUD weapon icons for Mission packs.
                  But that issue can easily be solved by setting the cvar "sbar_alpha_bg" to >= 0.7.
                  I still use this build myself.

Kind regards,
                  Seven

Comment

Hi,

Thank you very much for your reply Seven. Finally I have found a post somewhere that you talking about it. No, I'm going to search solutions to some anothers reflexions.

Thanks again Seven

Yeah ! And fine to fine the 06/07/2011 autobuild bring me the offset mapping !!
                    Last edited by Jochem Hraback; 07-06-2011, 03:41 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Seven View Post
                      Use the DP build from 3rd february 2011.
                      It has no negative aspects... I still use this build myself
                      hello seven i was looking through the archived releases of DP and could not find this specific build. could you provide a link perhaps?

Comment

• Originally posted by kreaper View Post
                        hello seven i was looking through the archived releases of DP and could not find this specific build. could you provide a link perhaps?
                        Try this one from the 06/07/2011; it works fine for me

http://icculus.org/twilight/darkplac...yautobuild.zip

Comment

• Originally posted by kreaper View Post
                          I had already referred to it in the DP beta release thread. Seven posted the link here (still available).

Anyway, I see some shaders (those for the teleporters, to be precise) had already been updated before to be adapted to newer DP builds. Maybe this can be done again, or LordHavoc can modify the engine somewhat to make it work once more? Would be cool! ^^
                          Last edited by NightFright; 07-07-2011, 06:10 AM.
                          Authentic Models Pack

Comment

• Hello NightFright,

it is an absolutely normal thing, that a very actively developed engine like DarkPlaces is undergoing changes and modifications to be able to implement new features and improvements.

LordHavoc himself described it recently here.
                            ... the default.glsl file is not stable from version to version in DP, in other words your shader will break at some point with engine upgrades and have to be updated accordingly.
                            LordHavoc cannot test every addon, that has ever been made for DarkPlaces, for every new release. He is not even aware of many of them...
                            Even the biggest project "Nehahra" is slightly starting to lose compatibility due to the massive changes in DarkPlaces since its beginning.

It is us, that must try to keep in touch with DarkPlaces requirements and not the other way round.

In my opinion we even must thank these geniuses like:
                            - LordHavoc
                            - Spike
                            - MH
                            - R00k
                            - John Fitzgibbons
                            - Baker
                            everyday that they make it possible for us to play Quake as it is today.

Without them, where would we be ?
                            We would all sit there and play games like Duke Nukem Forever.

Kind regards,
                            Seven

Comment

• Well ofc I appreciate their work, they are what keeps this game alive even 15 years after its launch! Anyway, I also appreciate those nice effects and that they work properly. And hey, I even like Duke Nukem Forever. ^^

But I hope Nehahra support won't break eventually. It was always meant for DP and should always work with it. Unfortunately, I guess it's unlikely anyone will take care of the expansion to adapt it to engine changes done during the last 10 years or so...
                              Last edited by NightFright; 07-07-2011, 06:41 AM.
                              Authentic Models Pack

Comment

• I'm playing SoA atm and i noticed that pretty water (i'm using 0.32) looks very bad:

mostly i see the reflections of the sky (in this case there isn't even a sky) and if the reflection is gone it looks like this:

The water is a little bit transparent but not much. Did pretty water not work with SoA? I also have copied the .pk3 into the hipnotic folder.

Comment

Working...
                                X