No announcement yet.

"DP Pretty Water" Update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• While it doesn't work for the water, it seems to look great actually for the teleporter. Check the other thread.
    Authentic Models Pack
    OriOn's ID1 Model Fixes for MP1+2
    LIT/VIS files for Quake addons

Comment

• Originally posted by gdiddy62 View Post
      @sean
      Looks interesting. How bad is the hit on fps? I know you always like to optimize, but still curious if there is any significant hit at all?
      @webangel
      What happened with your work? You going to release for us your work on this as you were going strong?
      Hello gdiddy62
      I´m on the beam from the wip-post.
      After that I will Tune it more and upload it.

I´m glad that you like it!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by splitterface View Post
        hrm imo it looks to glassy, it looks more like rippled glass then water now, need more clear texture

you can tell that from one screenshot without seeing it in motion?

my view is that it looks alot less plastic and easily more fluid.

ill post a video a little later. here http://youtu.be/uA6nJOCdJrM

here is the textures by zombie and urre with a new dp_reflect shader

dpwater-newshader.zip
        Last edited by seanstar; 10-29-2011, 07:13 PM.

Comment

• Will try this in a little while. Gotta feed the kiddos first!

Comment

• Hey guys, please try this little modification on Seven's files. I think it looks less "plastic", without changing too much what Seven do.

Give it a try

DP Pretty Water_alt version.rar

(Try it on E1M1, E1M4, E2M1, E4M1)
            Last edited by Arioch; 10-25-2011, 07:32 PM.
            Sorry if my english isn't clear, is not my native languaje.

Comment

• Originally posted by seanstar View Post
              you can tell that from one screenshot without seeing it in motion?
              well, you only posted a picture and no video to be able to see it in motion before, so i could only go from what i saw in the picture

and yes, on the picture it looks glassy imo

would be better if you'd try make a short vid of it with fraps or such and upload it to youtube, an effect like that is always best seen in motion
              are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
              > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
              everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

• @ Arioch,

I have tested your pack.
                Compared your files with V0.51 with "beyond compare".
                - You reduced the height of the offset texture
                - You increased the min-reflect param in dp_water a little

The water waves are less tall and "shiny" due to flater offset texture.
                You compensate this by raising the min-reflect param in the shader.

That is a smart combination.

I noticed that your new offset texture is not seamless.
                You can see its borders (especially in start map (entrance to E4)).

It is a good idea you have, but still I miss the taller waves.
                They make the water movement more dynamic.
                But hey, that is just my opinion. (and I am often wrong with it)

@ Seanstar

I tested your new shader too.
                Compared it and saw that you use a different scale and a fully reflective shader param.
                In-game, the water is so much reflective, that you cannot see anything inside the water. It is like looking into a water mirror.
                If someone likes reflective things, this is the one you have to use.

Regards,
                Seven

Comment

• Originally posted by Seven View Post
                  @ Arioch,

I have tested your pack.
                  Compared your files with V0.51 with "beyond compare".
                  - You reduced the height of the offset texture
                  - You increased the min-reflect param in dp_water a little

The water waves are less tall and "shiny" due to flater offset texture.
                  You compensate this by raising the min-reflect param in the shader.

That is a smart combination.

I noticed that your new offset texture is not seamless.
                  You can see its borders (especially in start map (entrance to E4)).

It is a good idea you have, but still I miss the taller waves.
                  They make the water movement more dynamic.
                  But hey, that is just my opinion. (and I am often wrong with it)

Regards,
                  Seven
                  I listen to your sugestions.

Please everyone, try my new version of this awesome effect for DP
                  It's a bit more "weavy" and has (almost) perfect seamless textures. I don't know how to take a good video or caption, but I really think that it feels more natural than previous versions, not too "plastic" nor too "frosty".

Of course, credits to Seven and all the people that work on this effect. (I hope that my english isn't too broken).

Pretty Water Pack V0.2__Arioch.rar

Give it a try.
                  Sorry if my english isn't clear, is not my native languaje.

Comment

• @ Seanstar

I tested your new shader too.
                    Compared it and saw that you use a different scale and a fully reflective shader param.
                    In-game, the water is so much reflective, that you cannot see anything inside the water. It is like looking into a water mirror.
                    If someone likes reflective things, this is the one you have to use.

Regards,
                    Seven
                    hehe i know it looks like a water mirror Seven...this is consistant with dirty water is it not.

@Arioch Hey guys, please try this little modification on Seven's files. I think it looks less "plastic", without changing too much what Seven do.
                    umm...Zombie & Urre mabe this shader and textures.

here is the original thread
                    Inside3d Forums &bull; View topic - Pretty water!

Arioch

i tried out your new shader and textures and its good...its soft and you can hardly see the waves at all.

i like the original textures a bit better with my new reflect shader though.

a good effort for sure.

edit

added a new water pack thats faster and looks almost the same as dpwater0.51...its called dpreflect0.99

here's my thread darkplaces-water-zombie-urre.html

regards

Sean
                    Last edited by seanstar; 11-05-2011, 07:34 AM.

Comment

• Underwater fog would go a long way towards making it less 'glassy'
                      Oh and... disable parallax mapping on the water, kind of excessive imho
                      Last edited by Spiney; 10-29-2011, 06:34 PM.

Comment

• Here's my wip water!
                        [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7Z0_ryn_BY]darkplaces 2011-11-04 23-11-53-76.avi - YouTube[/ame]
                        – Moon[Drunk]'s Quake Graphics
                        – Quake Revitalization/Retexturing Project

Comment

• Certainly an interesting effect. It reminds me a bit of the water surfaces in Duke Nukem 3D, also regarding the color.
                          It looks like the water is "boiling" (in lack of better terms) somehow, while the original Quake water was rather like warping. But well, as you say it's WIP, and it's a new approach. Let's see how it will turn out. ^^
                          Authentic Models Pack
                          OriOn's ID1 Model Fixes for MP1+2
                          LIT/VIS files for Quake addons

Comment

• yeah, agree with nightfright about the texture and color.
                            although it personally reminds me more of the water from the hi-res texture pack from doomsday, but then lighter
                            but yeah, it does actually look a lot like the water from duke3d too.

looks nice, but IMO it looks to much like the water from duke3d and doom
                            are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
                            > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
                            everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

• I´ve tried a different shader:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1g5ExflGOfA[/ame]
                              [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lGqTDTo3rw]Water - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

• Webangel,
                                I'm getting a "video is set to private" message on water2 vid..can't watch it. Are you going to share this please? (shader I mean)
                                Had a thought from watching the first vid, what if the pretty water would ripple when the bridge extends out into the water like it was being pushed by the bridge? I think that would be cool, but probably a fps killer.

Your shader looks great!

edit: Thanks for fixing the link to the vid
                                Last edited by gdiddy62; 11-13-2011, 08:22 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X