No announcement yet.

"DP New-Lava" Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• if (self.count < 1 ) count = 1; I've updated the code with a version that does that and makes it that “count” in .ent file really means “density”.
    It works perfectly when you're rising density via cvar. When you are lowering density it makes smallest blocks to stay at count 1.

To eliminate or reduce this issue, small blocks can be extended beyond level geometry, higher default rain_density can be used.
    Or the issue can be ignored, because if you try the new version you'll realise it is not really noticeable. I've tested start and e1m1 and it works fine imo.

It is compatible with existing .ent files, but new ones ( or modified old ones ) can take advantage of this feature.
    Also, for a person who works on .ent file it is more convenient to work on densities instead of absolute counts.
    I am surprised you've dismissed this so easily. Well, I don't care about rain much so I'll leave it now as it is. Maybe you'll rethink this
    Quake HD: Embrace the decline and have some guilty pleasure with it, or join a club for monocled gentlemen at quaddicted and play Quake the way it's meant to be played.

Comment

• No, I did not dismiss, but it is simply not possible to extend small blocks beyond level geometry, when the roofcutout is in the middle of a map.

But as I said, it is a good idea Smith. Really.
      It only leaves the most annoying issue untouched.
      That is all I said

Having done so many maps with rain and talking with Roy Batty, Danicampio and splitterface about this small but important issue is telling me that this is the most weak point of adding rain into DarkPlaces.

If you look through rainy .ent maps you will see that almost all cubes have a value around "1".
      That shows it.
      But as I said, you need to do some complex maps yourself to "feel" the pain

But anyhow, it is really good to have the possibilty to use another method.

Thanks again Smith.

Comment

• You can make rain to appear less dense by spawning it less often and making rain drops less visible. I believe you can update snow/ash in similar way.

Here you'll find modified misc.qc, compiled SMCv3.8 progs.dat and two “demo” start.ent files.
        One has two 64x64 blocks between normal and hard passages, left with old script and lowest possible “count””1”, and right with new default low density.
        Second is whole start map made the new way and adjustable in autoexec.cfg with: set rain_density

Edit: This derail belongs rather to Splitterface's rain "work in progress" thread, but since it started here...
        It is still better to avoid, when possible, making blocks smaller then 256x256 ( or 128x512 etc - area matters ), since rain will look marginally better that way. One trick is to extend beyond level geometry, other is to divide ares in more medium sized blocks ( stripes when needed ) instead of using one large and small blocks around it. If not possible, like isolated holes in the roof, the new code will handle it.
        Last edited by _Smith_; 08-10-2012, 10:11 AM.
        Quake HD: Embrace the decline and have some guilty pleasure with it, or join a club for monocled gentlemen at quaddicted and play Quake the way it's meant to be played.

Comment

• Sevens great texture!

Hello @all,
          I tried to make Sevens great texture looks more alive.
          The lava is a hard thing.... - I guess (hope)...

If someone wants the textures please say some nice things!

I hope someone like this:
          [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qw6PdPq5OHg]Lava - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

• Looks great Webangel!

Comment

• hmm looks interesting web@ngel.

yeah i can understand it is indeed hard to make something as lava look good in games. especially since you are dealing with a flat surface and thus itll always look kinda flat no matter what you try. but it looks not bad

could you perhaps try recording another clip without the lava-haze? it kinda makes it hard to see cuz you keep seeing the particles in front of the lava all the time

EDIT: i can has?
              Last edited by talisa; 09-14-2012, 06:11 PM.
              are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
              > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
              everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

• Looks great webangel! Me wants Me wants!!!!!
                Regular One Man Slaughterhouse

Comment

• Just a joke.
                  Sure - everyone can try this when the textures are done.
                  Here is a video without the haze.
                  [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LayexkeJ8Eg]Lava without Haze - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

• Hello webangel,

been 2 days offline and you suprise us with a new aniMap shader

Looks really good !
                    The colors of your textures are a good compromise between red and orange.

The only thing you could think about is the speed of your tcMod modifications. Lava should be less fluent than water. The mass and included rocks and so could move a little bit slower like shown in your clip.
                    But that is of course just personal taste...

Other than that, a clear thumbs up from me

Viele Gruesse,
                    Seven

Comment

• ah yeah, lot better visible in the clip without haze

looks good

and yeah i agree with seven about the stretching movement, it should be slower. lava is really thick and wont move so fast.

but the shader looks great
                      Last edited by talisa; 09-15-2012, 04:50 AM.
                      are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
                      everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

• Too many nice things coming out and I have so little time to enjoy

Keep up the great work guys!

Comment

• OK...
                          The textures should be clean now, the tcmod turb has the same value as Sevens and I tried to keep this as small as possible but it is still about 70MB. Sorry.

Download Lava.7z from Sendspace.com - send big files the easy way

Please try it and I hope someone have fun with it.

web@ngel

Comment

• thanx web@ngel, excited to try it out
                            downloading it right away

and i dont mind at all about the size. bigger size translates to better quality and higher resolution textures, and more frames
                            so i dont mind in the slightest, quite the opposite

i personally dont care about file size. cuz small files mean less high resolution and such, less frames and more compressed files, which translates to less quality

so i rather have big files

Comment

• just tried it and i can only say one thing... WOW!

this looks super web@ngel, truely amazing work, i totally love it
                              really great work, looks amazing

now if you dont mind, ill go play quake and travel to E1M7 and stare some more at it

Comment

• Great!!

Comment

Working...
                                X