Moving High Res Skies for DarkPlaces

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello hellfireseb,

just as I wanted to answer your question with the skies, you edited the post and found the solution by yourself

Now on to your next question:
    Let me guess: you chose the newest beta (20110328 ) build or even the newest autobuild (today) from DarkPlaces ?
    YES, it is true.
    These versions have some issues. You can read more about it here.

Please use this build instead.
    It has all of the pros and none of the cons.

You will have better performance for sure with it.

Kind regards,
    Seven

Comment

Re: about skies...

Hey Seven, thanks for replying so fast! I really appreciate that and all the work you guys are doing!

Actually, I didn't even know there were such recent builds because I downloaded the last build from darkplaces official site (lord havoc's 2010040 and that was the latest there!!! I have managed to make the framerate smoother like the other version I had by setting every little detail like it was in the other one. I'll try that build you referred me to!

Also, this as been mentionned somewhere but I can't find that specific thread I had found; the reforged skins are not affected at all by the surrounding lights unless I remove the _luma.jpg files. I know they are important for details such as glowing eyes and such but as it is now, those details cannot even be perceived anyways with the skins beeing 100% bright all the time. I tried a solution wich was suggested: delete config\create new one, redo offsetmapping and set rt_worldlighting in that order, it did not help.
      The grunts are the only ones who seem to be affected a little by the surrounding light sources, mostly water\acid's green lighting.

If this needs to be redirected somewhere else, just let me know!

Thanks

---Seb---

Comment

Hello hellfireseb,

1.) The download page on LordHavoc´s page has "only" the "stable" version.
        If you look for newer versions, klick on his "files" link on the Download page.
        This will lead you here: klick
        Anyhow, please use the build I send you.

2.) This issue has been discussd in the Quake reforged thread: klick me
        If the build I linked you dosnt help, please try my config file in your ID1 temporary (rename your one): here

Hope this will help you a bit.

Kind regards,
        Seven

Comment

Thanks Seven,

That was the thread i was reffering to indeed! Your config solved the problem, thanks a lot! Now it looks perfect!

Back on topic:The skies are really nice, I mixed two from different packs that were, in my opinion, the most faithful to the original quake. Keep up the good work guys!

---Seb---

Comment

Interesting, have not tried this one yet, but it would be sweet if there is a way to detect the color being used for these skies for purposes of determining rain color particles, like in sevens tutorial about adding the rain and snow weather fx. I guess you could have purple rain? Or Acid rain even for the red skies.

Do you need to re-bsp the map to get these new skies in there?

Comment

Hello Cobalt,

No, skies are just external textures.
              They are handled just like any other external files.

I explained how to install them (which folder) in 1st post.
              You can even make your own. You only have to make them seamless, and split the textures in half (upper/lower layer).
              In the end play, with transparency for the lower layer and you are done.

Thanks to Moon[Drunk] again, who had this idea back in may 2010.
              And LordHavoc for its implementation into his engine.
              (that is why DP builds prior may 2010 cant handle High Res moving skies)

Best regards,
              Seven

Comment

Is it possible to have different sky textures for every map?

Many maps uses the same sky texture, and while the sky is good looking for one, doesn't fit with the other.. :/
                200 años de mi querido PARAGUAY
                14/05/1811

Comment

let's say you want to replace the sky in map E1M9
                  if you make a dir like this: /id1/textures/e1m9/ and put there your sky textures properly named , won't they get used instead of the ones in /id1/textures/ folder when you load E1M9 ?

edit: yep it works... I renamed sky4.tga to sky1.tga (that is the blue sky) , put it inside /id1/textures/start/ and now the start.bsp has blue sky
                  In time, Fire will fade ... and only Dark will remain

Comment

Yep, that's what I'm trying to do, but nope, doesn't work for me..

I trying to change e4m3: The Elder God Shrine sky to one more darker (I have blue sky in there), so I put sky1.tga on the textures/e4m3 folder but nothing happens..
                    14/05/1811

Comment

From looking at the source of the map it uses sky4 not sky1

Comment

Originally posted by OoPpEe View Post
                        From looking at the source of the map it uses sky4 not sky1
                        That's right, now it works.. Thanks!
                        14/05/1811

Comment

Combined Moon[Drunk]'s & jeank's sky1:
                          http://quakeone.com/forums/quake-hel...html#post80673

Comment

I've made a simple but useful recolor of classic quake sky (violet) to use in final mission of Abyss of Pandemonium (yes, I'm obsessed with that mod, i'll explain the reason somehow ) that uses a red colored version of that sky. And since some maps use an azure sky, I've tested the custom sky 4 on first page of this thread on those maps and fits perfectly. I know that is so simple, but if somebody need that red sky, i can post a screenshot and upload the texture

Comment

Please post your work.

Comment

Here the red sky, put in folder impel/textures/aopend:

aopendredsky.rar

Comment

Working...
                                X