Laser remodel and skin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laser remodel and skin

Never really saw any laser models. Still very low poly but it's a smoother model and fades out. So it doesn't look like a flying rectangle.

Download:
    Download ooppee-laser.pk3

Preview below
    Attached Files

ooppee,

this is a great enhancement !
    Thank you very much for sharing.

Quake looks way better since you are here !

Glad you joined this forum.

Best wishes,
    Seven

Comment

Wow, it looks great!
      If you see 427 playing Quake thats me.

Comment

Nice! I love all this new content you guys are coming up with.
        Scout's Journey
        Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

Did a 2nd version that adds smoke. It uses the DeathKnights attack effect. So the actual effect may vary depending on your effectinfo.txt
          However regardless you will get some smoke with it.
          Just added effect for those whom what it. Some will like others would just want the glowing laser

Download:
          https://rapidshare.com/files/1315215...aser-smoke.pk3
          Attached Files

Comment

What.. you don't like the flying rectangle?
            The flying rectangle's not good enough for ye, hah?

j/k Try using "type beam" rather than "type smoke" in your effectinfo.txt, maybe stretch it out a bit with the trailspacing and lighttime.. You know, for purity.

Cool laser, man!
            Last edited by enki; 11-18-2010, 07:50 PM.

Comment

Ah didn't try that. The 2nd version I just tagged the model to assign the Knights projectile attack (so it shares the same effect info).
              I will make a 3rd version for purists
              Issue I was having though is I have NO idea what the laser's effect is titled the list I found is:
              TE_GUNSHOT
              TE_GUNSHOTQUAD
              TE_SPIKE
              TE_SPIKEQUAD
              TE_SUPERSPIKE
              TE_SUPERSPIKEQUAD
              TE_WIZSPIKE
              TE_KNIGHTSPIKE
              TE_EXPLOSION
              TE_EXPLOSIONQUAD
              TE_TAREXPLOSION
              TE_TELEPORT
              TE_LAVASPLASH
              TE_SMALLFLASH
              TE_FLAMEJET
              EF_FLAME
              TE_BLOOD
              TE_SPARK
              TE_PLASMABURN
              TE_TEI_G3
              TE_TEI_SMOKE
              TE_TEI_BIGEXPLOSION
              TE_TEI_PLASMAHIT
              EF_STARDUST
              TR_ROCKET
              TR_GRENADE
              TR_BLOOD
              TR_WIZSPIKE
              TR_SLIGHTBLOOD
              TR_KNIGHTSPIKE
              TR_VORESPIKE
              TR_NEHAHRASMOKE
              TR_NEXUIZPLASMA
              TR_GLOWTRAIL
              SVC_PARTICLE

Next thing I will be doing is headgibs for the Vore/Scrag/Fiend/Shamber that I am using.
              Those ones will have 2 versions. One being normal blood trail, other is 2x the blood - applying the "tag" in the model to spawn the gib blood AND the zombie projectile attack blood. So 2x the blood without extra decals

Comment

Ok found what it uses:
                EF_DIMLIGHT

I could edit this, but I am concerned to edit that because it will effect ingame light sources. I could try and apply the blur to it. If the light source is still - shouldn't blur it but if it does - the smoke trail will be the best option.

Edit:
                Hmmm ok EF_DIMLIGHT - SHOULDN'T be edited. It's used to give off the glow for Pent and Quad player glow. So if I apply a laser effect to that - it will have the player looking like he has a laser blur behind him. So sadly best option is my "DeathKnight Effect" Laser as for me to make a Laser glow would require me to change the code on the Laser to apply a different effect.

Edit2:
                And no matter what I do in the effectinfo.txt to EF_DIMLIGHT nothing happens.
                Last edited by LambentHammerBurst; 11-19-2010, 11:20 PM.

Comment

Forgive me for being lazy, but could you do a side by side with the original laser?
                  QuakeOne.com
                  Quake One Resurrection

QuakeOne.com/qrack
                  Great Quake engine

Qrack 1.60.1 Ubuntu Guide
                  Get Qrack 1.60.1 running in Ubuntu!

Comment

Here's a shot of the old
                    Attached Files

Comment

what a beautiful peice of work for such an overlooked model! lol
                      and mixing it with the smoke; excellent, little touches like this make quake SO much better.

downloaded immeadiately and everyone else should too!

well done sir.

Comment

ooppee,

you know, that DarkPlaces adds a shine/glow to this model,
                        when its fired from Enforcer.
                        This effect will stick on it till the laser hits an enemy or wall.

So basically, adding a "glow" or "luma" texture is a little overdone, cause it glows by itself.

I mention this, because every additional texture must be loaded and therefore needs time to load the map.
                        It may also drop FPS slightly (in summary).
                        So trying to avoid multiple textures like glow, gloss, luma, norm is always a good thing.
                        Putting the colors, shades and things in one diffuse texture is sometimes Best.

Thats why I recommended to delete the normal texture for the "Lava nail" in the other thread.
                        Because adding a normal to a completely flat model like the nail is nonsense.
                        Even more, when it flies so quick, that you will never see any effect,
                        unless you use the "sv_freezenonclients" cvar.

Nevertheless, keep Žem coming my friend.
                        Seven

Comment

I would recommend keeping the glow texture, it can be resized to 50% without seeing much of a difference. I added them because when I was doing tests on E2M1 some of the enforcers were in pitch black areas (like one right after dog/grunt combo at map start) and when they fired the model was greatly effected by the lighting due to the alpha channel. So keeping at least the luma or the glow I would recommend - both makes it have a nicer look BUT as you said at the cost of FPS.
                          I will see how a "Lite" version will look - the diffuse texture and then the glow at 50% - then a second test with the diffuse at 50% also. See if there is any noticeable differences.
                          I did my testing at the end of E2M1 where you hit the laser trap with also 3 enforcers present (5 laser shooters)

Comment

Thanks again for your work ooppee, i like the first one more with no smoke, it's a laser after all. Can't wait to see it in game.
                            FPS Source Ports

Comment

Downloadlink is dead. Please reupload the file. Thanks a lot.

Comment

Working...
                              X