X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seven
    replied
    Hello Primeval,

Do not worry about bumping older threads.
    OoPpEes great models are always worth a bump !

In case nobody will reupload the laser model, you can do this by yourself:
    Read what OoPpEe wrote about this "smoking" laser model.
    The only difference to his "regular" laser model is the flag of the model.
    He gave the Hellknight´s projectile flag to this model.
    This is the flag no.: 64

Setting a flag to a model is quite easy.
    If it is a mdl model, use QME for it
    If it is a md3 model, use LordHavocs modeltool for it.

OoPpEe´s laser model is a md3 model, so please follow this small tutorial and you can do it yourself: click

Have fun,
    Seven

PS: If you use the "small mod compilation", this model flag will not work.
    The "small mod compilation" uses a custom particle effect for the laser model: "laser_trail".
    It will override every flag of a model.
    You can of course change the custom particle effect trail to look like you want it.
    Last edited by Seven; 04-27-2012, 03:10 PM.

Leave a comment:

• PRIMEVAL
    replied
    I hate to bump an older thread but the smoke effect link is dead (first page). Can someone reupload it somewhere, please?

Leave a comment:

• Spiney
    replied
    A little trick I picked up for doing glowing objects:

On explosions or glowy bits have 2 shells, one bright shell inside the outer less bright shell. Then invert the surface normals on the outside shell. Together with backface culling this will cause it to appear as if the core of the shot is hotter.

Ofcourse the engine needs to support explicit normals and backface culling and whatnot, but I think it's a cool little trick. Kind of the same way you'dd fake model outlines when you can't do shaders.

Leave a comment:

• gdiddy62
    replied
    Hey Sean, after playing with this a little longer can I make a suggestion? I think the lines on the model are a little too perfect. If you could round out the front just a little this would be perfect IMO. Oh, how about a light smoke effect ala OoPpEe? Might at least see what it looks like.
    Great job!

Leave a comment:

• gdiddy62
    replied
    Looks good in game Sean!

Leave a comment:

• seanstar
    replied

Hi

just made a new laser and Seven told me about this one.

my post should be here then.

just used a simple model but the effect is nice.

link `laser-skin.zip

regards

Sean

Leave a comment:

• DaniOcampo1992
    replied
    Ok! Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• LambentHammerBurst
    replied
    "Out of the box" no. lasrspik.mdl is the model you're looking for. You can simply open the pk3 up with Winrar, extract it, rename it to that and put it into your progs folder and it will replace it too.
    In my Mission Pack 1 Weapon Set - I replaced the laser. So if you use that, it will be replaced also.

Leave a comment:

• DaniOcampo1992
    replied
    Thanks OoPpEe! Looks good..

Does this work with the laser gun from MP1?

Leave a comment:

• gdiddy62
    replied
    Thank you!!!

Leave a comment:

• LambentHammerBurst
    replied
    Links updated

Leave a comment:

• gdiddy62
    replied
    I agree, please re-up both versions.
    Thanks

Leave a comment:

• CarVio
    replied
    Downloadlink is dead. Please reupload the file. Thanks a lot.

Leave a comment:

• Spinvis
    replied
    Thanks again for your work ooppee, i like the first one more with no smoke, it's a laser after all. Can't wait to see it in game.

Leave a comment:

• LambentHammerBurst
    replied
    I would recommend keeping the glow texture, it can be resized to 50% without seeing much of a difference. I added them because when I was doing tests on E2M1 some of the enforcers were in pitch black areas (like one right after dog/grunt combo at map start) and when they fired the model was greatly effected by the lighting due to the alpha channel. So keeping at least the luma or the glow I would recommend - both makes it have a nicer look BUT as you said at the cost of FPS.
    I will see how a "Lite" version will look - the diffuse texture and then the glow at 50% - then a second test with the diffuse at 50% also. See if there is any noticeable differences.
    I did my testing at the end of E2M1 where you hit the laser trap with also 3 enforcers present (5 laser shooters)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X