Clear All

• Explosive Barrels

============================
    NEW WITH GLOWING FADING SHADER
    ============================
    Seven and I teamed up and got this Thanks to Seven for the shader works
    b_exbox2.bsp

b_explob.bsp:

The glow fades in and out. The "Old Version" has no glow, but can be easily added by taking the box_sign_4_glow.tga and renaming it to box_sign_glow.tga and box_top_glow.tga - however it will be constant and not fade in/out

***Download Here***

============
    OLD NO SHADER
    ============
    Well haven't seen anyone do this. So whipped up a very quick model. The model itself took only about 25 minutes - however getting the damn thing to work took over a hour.
    It uses the textures QRP (I believe) however that's where my issue was. I wanted to use the "+0_box_side.tga" and "+0_box_top.tga" and did when when I compiled it - the textures were bugged to all hell.
    So after trial and error I found out the whole "+0" caused it. So sadly I had to rename the textures. Wanted to save space for people who already had this texture.
    Well here it is, nothing over the top but a rather quick basic model - and I don't think I've seen anyone else do this model either?

Can add glow easily:
    Take the "box_sign_4_glow.tga" and renaming it to box_sign_glow.tga and box_top_glow.tga from the above version. This will give it a glow, but it will be constant (not fade in/out)
    ***Download Here***
    Attached Files
    Last edited by LambentHammerBurst; 12-19-2010, 06:59 PM.

Did another quick one (it's included in the download above)
    b_exbox2.bsp - I think it's only found on e1m2 but it's done.
    Attached Files

Comment

Hello ooppee,

the b_exbox2.bsp model has been done already.
      I made screenshots for you to compare:

Yours:

Ruohis (?):

Ruohis´s (?) has no normal texture, thats why it looks a little boring. This has to be done.
      But it has a luma

Kind Regards,
      Seven
      Last edited by Seven; 12-17-2010, 01:50 PM.

Comment

Could easily add a glow or luma
        Not sure if I'd add it to the "Red" though as I made it look like it's painted on the barrel instead of being a separate surface. The orange/yellow can be glowing though

Comment

Hello again ooppee,

sorry to forgot this in my previous post:
          Also the explob.bsp has been done by the same artist.
          I am 95% sure it was Ruohis. It fits his style very much.

Yours:

Ruohis (?):

As far as I see you use the diffuse + gloss skin textures from Rygels pack for your version.
          (I am not sure who made them)

May I suggest 2 things:
          1.) If you make the hazard symbol on a plane extra surface for the explob.bsp model,
          I guess it would look better. (like Ruohis did it)
          2.) Your normal has the "bulge" / protrude to the wrong direction ?
          I think the rivets should protrude, as it would be realistic.
          You used a negative "Intensity" setting in CrazyBump for your normal.
          Maybe a positive "Intensity" setting fits the rivets better,
          as they would protrude then.

But thats just a personal opinion. I had the same discussion with kingennio.
          My-Key also agreed on it.

Anyway you did a great job ooppee !

Kind Regards,
          Seven

EDITED:
          Another way to achieve it, if you used the "left" shape proposal at the beginning:
          Klick on "Invert shape recognition".
          Or use the "right" shape proposal at the beginning.
          Last edited by Seven; 12-17-2010, 02:09 PM. Reason: added Invert shape recognition

Comment

Seven, check your PM's. I sent you the updated model let me know the feedback and then I will update the download link

Comment

Is this the same explosive barrel in Death Knight's post? if so it already exploded dudes...

>
              Originally posted by Baker
              Why does the biggest cry baby in the forums use an Arnold Schwarzenegger avatar? Arnold never cries like a little girl like how you have cried in every Kimp thread.

Comment

Dear all,

Since Reforged Team presented the first shader used for monster animations,
                I thought about implementing these kind of shaders into other models as well.

I took the chance in these new exploding boxes and did it.

Ooppee made a superb job (as usual) in modeling these boxes
                and edited some of the already existing skins.
                I received his link to test them.
                As a suprise for him, I added this shader

Unfortunately I am no graphic artist at all, but had to edit 5 skins to make the shader work.
                So, ooppee has in the end lay his magic hands on those 5 new skins again to make them look good.

[EDITED]
                Test-Download Link removed, cause Final Version is done.
                [/EDITED]

Here are some screens (which can of course not express the shader):

b_exbox2.bsp

b_explob.bsp:

Please give us your Feedback.

Kind Regards,
                Seven

EDITED:
                The shader in this Download is not optimized.
                In the end (after ooppee and I talked) it will use much less textures
                and will therefore be more resources friendly, no map loading time difference, etc.
                Last edited by Seven; 12-19-2010, 01:25 PM.

Comment

OK,

ooppee and I talked and are proud to release the final version.

This shader does not do anything bad to:
                  - your FPS
                  - your map loading time

It is a nice little eye-candy with no negative side effects.
                  There are many more shader-driven models/skins about to come.
                  This gives so many possibilities... of which we never thought before.

Ooppee will update his Download Link in the 1st post as well.

DOWNLOAD

Kind Regards,
                  Seven

Comment

Link is updated
                    What other models are in the game that are strongly overlooked?

Comment

Hello ooppee,

as mentioned in PM, these models are ideal for using animation shader on them:
                      - Health b_box (100, 25 and 15)
                      - Ammo b_boxes (only the "big" ones: xxx1.bsp with the small red dot/area)
                      - Lighting and Plasma gun (specially your versions with the computer symbol on them)
                      - (Lava Nailgun + Lava Supernailgun)
                      - Belt powerup in Mission Pack
                      - ..?

Regarding the Health b_boxes:
                      QRP´s skins for 100 and 25 are already animated the "classic" way.
                      But all other skins for high-poly models are not.

Kind Regards,
                      Seven

Comment

i like the work you've done looks very good, but i want to see a pic of the explosion shards from the boxes... the only couple of things i can think of that are over looked or atleast i haven't seen them updated, is the rotfish, and the walls you shoot to open up a hidden doorway, not before you open them but while they are opening. oh and the grapple hook chain, i like the lil triangles its not distracting but its overlooked. Idk if thats what you were talking about or not... but keep up the good work.

Comment

I think the shards are actually sprites as I cannot find a model. The switches on walls you shoot are sadly part of the BSP so it would mean editing the map. QRP though is having textures released soon which will make those look alot better.

Grappling hook chain I could quite easily (while keeping VERY low poly too). The grappling hook chain = same grappling hook from the Mission Pack (in CTF mode) or you referring to another? If so want to link me to?

Comment

...just stumbled over this scene in Nehahra and had to post it.

Comment

Found a way to GREATLY optimize the model. Adds 12 polygons to it - but removes the need to copy over the gloss, normal map ect for each frame.
                              Basically copy the glowing parts of mesh (adding 12 polygons - 2 for each square) and applying a invisible texture over that will be invisible (called box_top_null_x - x being a number of frame) and it will be 8x8 in size. Now take our glow textures and rename to box_top_null_x_glow) this will allow us to apply the glow without copying over the full sized diffuse, normal, gloss maps

Comment

Working...
                              X