Grunt using Moo's player model

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grunt using Moo's player model

Download Updated: Fixed a bug on the headgib - fixed a polygon that disappeared on compile.

The entire Work in Progress progression is found here:
    Work in Progress Thread with many pics

Various screenshots are there too. So I don't think I need to make any fancy high-res screenshot lol.

Not alot has changed from the last Test version. I fixed the error Bloodshot mentioned about the arms being stuck up a bit on a death animation and tweaked a couple more animations.
    Headgib got a slight addition - I added a few polygons just make the spine more 3D. Looked fine before, alot better now. Mind you, I don't think you're going to admire a playing headgib - unless you play in slow motion.

Credits go out to Moo for his nice player model and I used Ruohis' vwep for the shotty. If there is a demand for it - I could easily whip up the grunt holding the blaster-like weapon instead of a single shotty.

Attached Files
    Last edited by LambentHammerBurst; 12-27-2010, 08:03 PM.

Download has been updated with a fix that likely none of you would of ever seen anyways, a single VERY small polygon disappeared on compile. Once I noticed it - the size of the polygon became bigger than the model itself lol.
    Headgib is tagged to leave a blood trail and all too.

Would anyone want a "classic" Grunt? Same model but holds the "Blaster" instead of a Single Shotty?

Comment

Nice work on the animations and texture!

This model also works in Qrack. I had to save the pk3 as a Quake .pak file
      then use gl_loadq3models 1, and it loaded just fine!

www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

That is exactly what makes me happy R00k !

All these beautiful enhancements here in this forum should work for more engines than only DarkPlaces.

Moon[Drunk] is already working hard in creating different packs of his and My-Keyīs amazing work.
        (Please help him in doing the one for Qrack if he has additional questions)

Thank you all.
        Seven

PS: I like the Blaster more. But if its just me, you can of course skip it.

Comment

The skin is really awesome for this model, but I can't say I like the model itself. It suffers from the same problem that most other remodels do: terrible animations. I don't use any remodeled stuff for Quake to this day, because I'm never satisfied with the animations. Nobody seems to be able to rival the animations of the default Quake models. In the case of this model, it seems too hunched over, and looks completely unnatural when it fires. The death sequence isn't the greatest, either.

Comment

Originally posted by Lightning_Hunter View Post
            The skin is really awesome for this model, but I can't say I like the model itself. It suffers from the same problem that most other remodels do: terrible animations. I don't use any remodeled stuff for Quake to this day, because I'm never satisfied with the animations. Nobody seems to be able to rival the animations of the default Quake models. In the case of this model, it seems too hunched over, and looks completely unnatural when it fires. The death sequence isn't the greatest, either.
            bah...dont listen to this hater ooppee, your player to grunt is awesome.

i love the way he lurches forward like he has to drag his leg.

i was on the fence about trying this but after trying out ooppees other work i
            had to check this out...holy shit this grunt is so upgraded and is a perfect pair to the tabun enforcer

props.

10/10

Comment

Originally posted by seanstar View Post
              bah...dont listen to this hater ooppee, your player to grunt is awesome.
              Wow. What an immature thing to say. First of all, Ooppee did not make this model, so i'm not putting him down when I say the animations are not good. Second, I'm entitled to my own opinion. Third, I DID complement him on the skin, which I believe he spent most of his time on anyway. Ooppee does some great work for the Quake community; I was NOT putting him down with those comments. I was simply stating my opinion that most Quake models created out there have sloppy animations.

Jeesh.

Comment

hi

im sorry if i was mistaken but it sounded like you were harping on about how bad the animations are...when in fact they're pretty good.

i didnt bother with this grunt weeks ago after reading your comment...i dont want anyone else to make that same mistake

regards.

Comment

Originally posted by seanstar View Post
                  hi

im sorry if i was mistaken but it sounded like you were harping on about how bad the animations are...when in fact they're pretty good.

i didnt bother with this grunt weeks ago after reading your comment...i dont want anyone else to make that same mistake

regards.
                  Are we using the same model here?

It's possible the animations don't look as good in Qrack, but I don't see why it should be different. I'll have to try it in darkplaces.

Comment

Like I've said in other threads it's all user preference. Some may like, some may hate. It's the issue with a game of it's age. There are some great models for DooM 1/2 by DaniJ. Amazing work, however because I grew to love the sprites so much that basically no model made I would consider equal or better. Some are like that with Quake.
                    I will use Seven as a example, he's VERY much based upon the classic look and animation, helped me with this model (I gave him each test version and he gave feedback). I didn't release until he was satisfied. However from his recent screens he himself doesn't use it lol. Again, user preference.
                    Whenever I convert/make a model I tend to do a "remix" of it. If I wanted to do a 100% faithful remake - I'd just use the original model. Also part of their movement is due to vertex animation - gives off that wavey look. Possible with skeletal but need a hell of a lot of bones to do it.

As for the Qrack/DP animation, it actually does as animations can be handled differently. One engine can "smooth" a 8 frame animation by adding in it's own "keyframes" between each frame of animation - others could just simply take the 8 frames and just use them.
                    I don't use QRack, so no idea, I'd assume it would smooth like DP.

Comment

Hello ooppee,

I wanted to write some lines about your above post, cause I feel sad inside.

I guess it is like you said:
                      1.)
                      There are some great models for DooM 1/2 by DaniJ. Amazing work, however because I grew to love the sprites so much that basically no model made I would consider equal or better.
                      I used my High Res skin for too long. Cannot imagine another skin to replace it.

2.)
                      Also part of their movement is due to vertex animation - gives off that wavey look. Possible with skeletal but need a hell of a lot of bones to do it.
                      Yes, I also think that ID1īs animation is better, BUT just as you said,
                      if you wanted to catch up with it, it would mean a hell of more work.

3.)
                      PS: I like the Blaster more. But if its just me, you can of course skip it.
                      The small shot gun is the third reason for keeping my old one.

I always say in my feedbacks to you, that it is my personal liking and I dont want to push you in any direction.
                      Your above post sounds like you make your amazing work just to please my opinion.
                      And that you would have done it differently...
                      Please ooppee, I never wanted that to be.
                      I always thought that my feedbacks help you to gather more peoples opinions.
                      Sometimes feedback in a thread is very cursory/superficially and not always useful.
                      You know my super long PMīs.
                      I want to give you feedback, that you can work on/with...
                      And its a honor for me that you share your betas with me.

I use many of your superb work, but yes, not all.

Kind regards,
                      Seven

Comment

I like you testing as you give very insightful feedback which greatly improves the content. Issue with many involved in graphics they feel once they are satisfied they are done - good but not great. When you are satisfied with the content and you have had others also, then great. When I first browsed this forum I did see a select user basically bash people for giving feedback - and that was because he liked it as it. ANYTHING one makes can be improved upon So what I may say is a "final" in my eyes can easily change once feedback is given as the simplest edit can make a big difference.
                        I use you DP Water for example - but I changed the textures to more of my preference.
                        Last edited by LambentHammerBurst; 01-11-2011, 01:02 PM.

Comment

Didn't mean to start this debate here!

The both of you guys (Ooppee and Seven) are doing some magnificent things for the Quake community, and I'm grateful. I certainly hope nobody took my post as calling this model "terrible". I just simply think the ID1 animations are better. They are hard to beat, after all!

I always look forward to each thread created by you two.

Comment

Version 3 has been released.
                            Only real notable update is the REMOVED need for the .framegroups file which now makes the model more compatible for engines other than Darkplaces.

Comment

I might work on a "Classic Version" if anyone wants it. Basically the same - but uses the "Blaster" weapon design instead. However I would need to tweak every animation slightly due to the larger weapon. If anyone wants it, let me know and I will do it

(Attachment is a better shot of my model - displayed on first page)
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X