No announcement yet.

Quake Animated-REFLECTING-OVERLOAD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

so yeah, it's zreflecting_overload_mp2.pk3.

no

@seven: There's no progs.dat in the reflecting_overload zip, just in the pk3 file itself, and there's no progs.dat overwriting it in my directory. Even if I unzip the progs.dat from the pk3, it makes no difference.
    If there's a progs.dat *elsewhere* on the forums that's needed for this pack to function properly in MP2 (works fine in ID1 and hypnotic) it should probably be noted at the beginning of the thread.
    Not right!
    Last edited by webangel; 11-29-2011, 03:48 PM.

Comment

... okay.
      If reason doesn't work with you, that's fine with me.

Neither the start.ent in reflecting_overload or the one seven's pointed to work, at least, with the version of reflecting_overload at the beginning of this thread.
      Maybe your newer version works, I don't know.

Anyway, not my problem.

Originally posted by webangel View Post
      Not right!
      Actually it is. You may be using a later version, but in the version uploaded at the beginning of this thread, there is no progs.dat anywhere but in the .pk3 files.
      Cheers.
      There is no Dana, only Zuul

Comment

Please, calm down.

I know it is (too) complicated at the moment.
        We are working hard on clearing this situation.
        Once the new "small mod compilation"īs are released it will be much easier.
        No need to override anything then.

Please be patient a little. Things need their time.

Webangel did a wonderful job with the pack.

Thank you for your understanding.
        Seven

Comment

I have been calmly pointing out a bug and defending myself when others failed to listen to reason. I think you're mistaking being direct with being angry.
          But the web's a funny place like that

To be honest, the only thing I get impatient with is when people won't acknowledge that there's anything wrong.

I had no interest in defending myself - just in pointing out a minor error that would also inconvenience others. Like I said, I've already got a solution in my particular build, so that's fine-
          Cheers-
          Matt
          There is no Dana, only Zuul

Comment

I like cheese
            the invasion has begun! hide your children, grab the guns, and pack sandwiches.

syluxman2803

Comment

Originally posted by xolve View Post
              Well, I deleted everything in the ID1 & hypnotic directories except the .pak files,
              and nothing else in the rogue directory contained a start.ent.
              Once I deleted the overload_reflecting file,
              it started fine.

So yeah, it's zReflecting_Overload_MP2.pk3.

Once that was removed I was able to create a start.ent using the console, and then put zReflecting_Overload_MP2 back into the rogue directory.

@seven: There's no progs.dat in the reflecting_overload zip, just in the pk3 file itself, and there's no progs.dat overwriting it in my directory. Even if I unzip the progs.dat from the pk3, it makes no difference.
              If there's a progs.dat *elsewhere* on the forums that's needed for this pack to function properly in MP2 (works fine in ID1 and hypnotic) it should probably be noted at the beginning of the thread.
              The Quakespasm engine earlier in the year adopted some awesome search directory/pak file anti-foobaring methodology (I've adopted that in my yet unreleased engine work and expanded on it), but the short version is that as far as I know DarkPlaces is extremely susceptible to "wrong" files being loaded from pak files and search directories.

As a result, you run into issues like start.ent affecting wrong "start" maps, the inability to combine multiple pk3 files and pak files with textures overwriting each other, etc.

The way the Quakespasm solved this issue was to only files to searches back to the owner's source. So if running Rogue start.bsp (in Rogue folder) and an external ent was found in id1 folder, the search for start.ent would stop at the Rogue folder instead of also searching id1 (not the source location of Rogue's start.bsp).

[Likewise, Quakespasm prevents a lot of other problems like external textures being loaded for wrong models and such. I have not experimented with the most recent DarkPlaces, so who knows maybe DarkPlaces has very recently added this but to the best of my knowledge I do not believe it has that feature. And if this is still true, working with multiple pak and pk3 files and search directories is aggravating and there is no reliable way to prevent unwanted consequences or mixed file sets. Quakespasm's solution is not immediately obvious, but is brilliant and prevents wrong .lit files and other file conflicts and really solves some issues that have long made external textures and such so difficult to use with Quake engines.]
              Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Hello Baker,

I see one big disadvantage in this approach:
                You will need ALL replacement models/textures double/triple/... times.
                Because if you put them in your ID1 folder, only ID1 maps will use them.
                But what if you want them to be used in "hipnotic" and "rogue" too ?
                You would need to copy/paste them in ALL mod subdirectories ?

And you know, only the QRP world textures are around 1GB.
                All weapon, powerups, keys and stuff replacements would need to be copied as well ?

Of course, harddisc space is not a problem anymore in these days.
                But the necessity to have everything double/triple/... is not the best solution either.

But mabe I misunderstood your post and you can ignore all my words.

Comment

Originally posted by Seven View Post
                  Hello Baker,

I see one big disadvantage in this approach:
                  You will need ALL replacement models/textures double/triple/... times.
                  Because if you put them in your ID1 folder, only ID1 maps will use them.
                  But what if you want them to be used in "hipnotic" and "rogue" too ?
                  You would need to copy/paste them in ALL mod subdirectories ?

And you know, only the QRP world textures are around 1GB.
                  All weapon, powerups, keys and stuff replacements would need to be copied as well ?

Of course, harddisc space is not a problem anymore in these days.
                  But the necessity to have everything double/triple/... is not the best solution either.

But mabe I misunderstood your post and you can ignore all my words.
                  Let's use the silver key as an example and say that you are playing Rogue.

It looks in Rogue for the silver key and does not find the model, so it looks in id1 and then it finds it. The owning model was found in id1 therefore it will search Rogue then id1 for replacement textures and it will search id1 too.

Conversely, let's say you are playing some mod with a modified grenade launcher called "MyMod" that supplies g_rock.mdl and an external texture. Since the model was found in MyMod, it will stop there looking for the external texture and would not use an incorrect replacement texture for that model in id1.

My take on external textures: If they are in id1/textures then they are owned by no map and should always be used as a replacement texture for any bsp model (worldmodel or world submodel).

So no this would not cause a problem for using one replacement texture set for Rogue, but textures stored in id1\textures\start or id1\textures\exmy would not be used for Rogue.
                  Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Thanks a lot Webangel! It really looks amazing.

Unfortunately I haven't been able to use it because my framerate drops to 5-10 fps each time a reflection (Especially the beams) appear on my screen. I'm very sorry if this has been asked before but is there something I can do about this?

I have a I5-760, 8 GB Ram and a 560 GTX. I'm currently using the Small Compilation Mod 3.5 and the Darkplaces Autobuild from September 6th 2011.

My sincere thanks in advance to anyone who could help me with this.

Comment

hi

webangels pack works perfect with added shaders for even wall textures.

only thing is she added reflect to every window...this kills framerate for me.

just remove all the window shaders from textures.shader in id1/scripts.

i use this pack and love its content.

Comment

@ Seanstar

Thank you for your reply. I really appreciate it.

I found the texture.shader in id/scripts. But how do I open the file?

Comment

You can open the file with notepad.

Comment

Thanks gdiddy62.

I tried removing the window shaders and I could see a little improvement in framerates, but it still wasn't playable.

I made a fresh install with Quake and Darkplaces and this time I could see that framerates had improved quite a bit. Many levels with the beams are now playable and I'm very happy that. The atmosphere is absolutely amazing!

I was wondering though, what are the framerates for other members in the Gremlin's Domain (Hip2M6 Scourge of Armagon) with this mod enabled? It's the only level that remains unplayable for me (even after removing the windows shaders) with framerates at the start of around 5-6 fps. It's a level with a lot of windows.

Comment

reflections pack

i loaded the refelections pak and it works but the fog seems to blocky or intense how do i lower setting

Comment

Hello ferniezombie,

to see the actual setting of each fog in a map, please look into its .ent file.
                                The .ent files are located inside the "zReflecting_Overload.pk3" files that you put into your Quake directories.
                                Look inside "maps" folder (open the .pk3 with winzip or winrar).

Now open the maps .ent file (with notepad), where you want to edit the fog.
                                Example 'E2M2.ent':
                                Find this line near the top:
                                "fog" "1 .3 .25 .2 1 20 2000 0 50"

These values declare the fog options.
                                And this is their explanation:
                                fog : set global fog parameters (density red green blue [alpha [mindist [maxdist [top [fadedepth]]]]])

Now play around with the values to get what you want.
                                Start with 'density' (1st value) or 'alpha' (5th value).

If you dont like fog in that level, simply completely delete this line in the .ent file.

Have fun experimenting with fog.

Regards,
                                Seven

Comment

Working...
                                X