Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bluntz
    replied
    Hmm well there does not appear to be a cubemap for the window i am working on.But I could have swore I saw you had shots of it with beams before.

Leave a comment:

• webangel
    replied
    Hi bluntz,
    sorry, I forgot it
    You have to edit the cubemaps\***nx texture.
    Window01_3 should be 203nx.tga

Window_Cubemaps.png
    Last edited by webangel; 05-12-2012, 10:24 AM.

Leave a comment:

• bluntz
    replied
    Ok I changed window 3 ,dont I have to do something to get the new image to show on the floor?

Leave a comment:

• webangel
    replied
    Originally posted by lucky88shp View Post
    Hey webangel,

What rtlights or settings/file are you using in the first video "Quake Animated Textures" on your first post? As my game looks pretty dark in that area that you show in the beginning of that video from E1M1, whereas yours in really nice and bright in all areas.
    Hi Lucky,
    Iīm using Inkubīs rtlights

Originally posted by bluntz View Post
    I am wondering why I have light beams in some maps but not in others?
    Also if I change a window texture do I need to do anything to it?
    FC is right. All Levels which has big windows should be included in the first post! You have nothing to do if you change a texture...

Leave a comment:

• FC Zvyozdochka
    replied
    Originally posted by bluntz View Post
    They are defined in *.ent files, if they are not presented in these files - then they won't appear ingame.

Nope, shader definition does not check texture, only its name.

Leave a comment:

• bluntz
    replied

Leave a comment:

• FC Zvyozdochka
    replied
    Originally posted by Mindf!3ldzX View Post
    Has LordHavoc ever mentioned he will integrate multithreading?
    This is very hard to do, so I don't think we'll see it soon

How about, a DarkPlaces DirectX version that continues to support all the custom content.
    DP already has D3D 9 renderer, but it is more slow, than OpenGL one.

Leave a comment:

• lucky88shp
    replied
    Hey webangel,

What rtlights or settings/file are you using in the first video "Quake Animated Textures" on your first post? As my game looks pretty dark in that area that you show in the beginning of that video from E1M1, whereas yours in really nice and bright in all areas.

Leave a comment:

• Mindf!3ldzX
    replied
    Has LordHavoc ever mentioned he will integrate multithreading? How about, a DarkPlaces DirectX version that continues to support all the custom content.

That would be end game epic winning.

I would be happy if I could only create a fn Catalyst Application Profile for DarkPlaces.exe and successfully run AFR Friendly or even /some/ fashion of Crossfire.

I've googled on setting up OpenGL+Crossfire applications and found nothing. Will have to remind LordH. to help me with that.

Leave a comment:

• PRIMEVAL
    replied
    This definitely gives a great feel to Quake now, really good!

Leave a comment:

• vaustein
    replied
    @Splitterface After further testing, it turns out that the primary reason for the overall FPS hit (aside from stained glass in start.map) is bloom and HDR bloom combined with QRP textures. I was consistently getting 45fps near the beginning of E2M1 with the 3 grunts and 2 dogs. After disabling bloom and HDR bloom, the floor went up to 70fps. Yes, I hope DarkHavoc (or someone else - it's open source right?) implements multithreading and other optimizations. It's really interesting that Rygel's 3GB of textures don't load the GPU as much as QRP does. A few of the Rygel textures actually look more detailed, such as the grass on the ground in E1M1 around the bridge.

@CassyCade Would you please list the cvars or point me at the readme? I'd like to check that out.
    Last edited by vaustein; 02-19-2012, 08:52 AM. Reason: Added info

Leave a comment:

• CassyCade
    replied
    Originally posted by vaustein View Post
    Congratulations to the QRP, SMP, and ZRO teams. I'm running a quad core OC'd to 4GHz and 2x SLI'd GTX480s. With all DP features cranked up to max (except AA, which I never use) and most of the textures linked by splitterface, I'm now averaging 50fps in e1m1. When I stand by the stained glass window in start.map, my FPS approaches single digits. I didn't think it was possible for any combination of Quake engine and texture+model packs to drive my rig below 70fps. Even Tenebrae couldn't do that on a bad day. Not complaining, genuinely impressed.
    Oh, and Vaustein: if you really want it to look nice and your FPS to average the 30s-40s at the best of times, check out the r_shadows_bouncegrid cvars. (I have a single OCd 580 and I don't fall under 40fps most often if I avoid the lightbeams, but I suspect SLI may not work too nicely with DP so YMMV.) Global illumination/radiosity is so pretty in Quake with inkub0's rtlights. Now I really want a nice and horrific postprocess shader, or maybe Depth of Field with bokeh blur like in the Doom3/Quake4 SikkMod... and I will be content.

Leave a comment:

• CassyCade
    replied
    As far as I can tell, the lightbeams are giant clusterfucks for the backface culling algorithm that DP uses -- I might be wrong, but it seems like all the intersecting polygons and the sheer numbers OF polygons mixed with the use of stainmaps to project the stained glass on the floor and the lightbeams... it's just intensive as hell, and I doubt DP is optimized for it very well, very likely simply because no one had tried it before. If someone remodeled the lightbeams I think they'd be a lot less intensive. IIRC seanstar had a second model earlier in the thread that worked better, FPS-wise? But it didn't replace all of them, if I recall, making it not too useful for those seeking an FPS boost. Perhaps he'd like to upload a model-replacer version of his beams?

Leave a comment:

• FC Zvyozdochka
    replied
    Originally posted by splitterface View Post
    @FC Zvyozdochka
    the cubemaps are all of low resolution.
    512x512? Not too low, IMHO.

the fps loss is caused by all the tons of calculation the engine has to do to render all the shadows and all the effects like reflections and refractions when you use dp-pretty-water by seven and such, and all the huge particle-effects.
    Yep, but with average FPS of 20-30, even with water and massive particle spring in field of view - I still have 5-7 FPS when standig near lightbeam on e2m2 or 4 FPS near the altar in e4m6.

Lightbeams cause the worst FPS loss, this is fact.

and modern games often also use multi-threading, which darkplaces both do not use.

if these two things would get changed/added to darkplaces, it would run an awefull lot faster on high-end PCs.
    That will be the game I'm dreaming

ive once contacted lord havoc himself about it and he said he never got around to add those
    I wish he will one day... because MH is now doing fantastic work with his ultra-high-perfomance D3D11 engine, but as I understood, he's not going to equip it with modern shader effects, at least not in the near future.

Leave a comment:

• talisa
    replied
    @FC Zvyozdochka
    the cubemaps are all of low resolution. the fps loss is caused by all the tons of calculation the engine has to do to render all the shadows and all the effects like reflections and refractions when you use dp-pretty-water by seven and such, and all the huge particle-effects.

most games partially or even completely lack shadows and reflections and refractions and such for this exact reason, cuz they are so resource-demanding.

and also another reason why its so extremely heavy is cuz quake is purely gpu-dependant, it only uses gpu to render and not the cpu.
    and modern games often also use multi-threading, which darkplaces both do not use.

if these two things would get changed/added to darkplaces, it would run an awefull lot faster on high-end PCs.

ive once contacted lord havoc himself about it and he said he never got around to add those

Leave a comment:

Working...
X