No announcement yet.

Quake Animated-REFLECTING-OVERLOAD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow. I have to say. This looks amazing. Great mod. Wow. The fog running from underneath the stained glass window, wow. Never thought I would see something like this.
    If you see 427 playing Quake thats me.

Comment

Alright, just checking in with a bug: as far as I can tell, the window textures and textures behind slipgates in start are missing, I get grey-white checkerboards. I don't believe I have any "QRO" files (I don't even know what QRO is?), I have only the effectinfo.txt from SMC, AND I have deleted it and replaced it on multiple occasions without effect. I have the "r_texture_dds_load" "1" in my config file, and otherwise I followed install directions to a T.

It could be a missing file in the file Splitterface linked, something I did wrong during installation, or something else entirely. I have no idea. Can someone give me a hint here?

Comment

The Slip Gate missing (and other textures) means you are not loading QRP texture packs. The DL link to optimized texture pack here is not working so if you need the files go straight to their site...

:: Quake Revitalization Project :: Downloads ::

If the window still won't load, I found Plaque's windows here...

Plague'sPak

Put the windows in your id1/textures folder, if you don't have a textures folder, make one.

There's probably an easier fix but I got it working with this method. Let me know if it works, best of luck!

Comment

It worked perfectly!

As far as I can tell though, there's no mention in the relevant places that the QRP is required? someone should put that in the readme or the first post, haha!

Comment

Reuploaded!

DL here

Comment

Would it be possible to release a version of ZRO that doesn't take a dependency on QRP and SMC? Unfortunately, QRP and/or SMC conflict with rygel-dp-texturepack-ultra.pk3. Without Rygel's DP Ultra Texturepack, Quake actually looks worse regardless of ZRO or anything else.
              Last edited by vaustein; 02-12-2012, 05:23 PM. Reason: Typos.

Comment

Originally posted by vaustein View Post
                Would it be possible to release a version of ZRO that doesn't take a dependency on QRP and SMC? Unfortunately, QRP and/or SMC conflict with rygel-dp-texturepack-ultra.pk3. Without Rygel's DP Ultra Texturepack, Quake actually looks worse regardless of ZRO or anything else.
                You should use QRP pack with reflecting-overload, cause ZRO textures are based on QRP ones and are compatible with them only. And as for me, QRP textures look way better than Rygel's.

Comment

@vaustein and @FC

i totally agree with FC, the QRP textures look waaay better then the ones i rygels pack.
                  and all the stuff in rygels compilation is old and outdated, its from 2007, lots of better looking stuff has been made since then vaustein

in a post of mine in another thread ive put links to tons of stuff for darkplaces which looks a lot more awesome then the stuff in rygels compilation, you should try them, you'll see lot of these things look waaaaay better:
                  http://quakeone.com/forums/quake-hel...tml#post106807
                  are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
                  > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
                  everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

Originally posted by splitterface View Post
                    @vaustein and @FC

i totally agree with FC, the QRP textures look waaay better then the ones i rygels pack.
                    ... you should try them, you'll see lot of these things look waaaaay better:
                    http://quakeone.com/forums/quake-hel...tml#post106807
                    Congratulations to the QRP, SMP, and ZRO teams. I'm running a quad core OC'd to 4GHz and 2x SLI'd GTX480s. With all DP features cranked up to max (except AA, which I never use) and most of the textures linked by splitterface, I'm now averaging 50fps in e1m1. When I stand by the stained glass window in start.map, my FPS approaches single digits. I didn't think it was possible for any combination of Quake engine and texture+model packs to drive my rig below 70fps. Even Tenebrae couldn't do that on a bad day. Not complaining, genuinely impressed.

Comment

@vaustein
                      oh yes, with all the add-ons and effects for use with darkplaces it can be extremely heavy on your gpu.

some of the effects like realtime lighting and offsetmapping and such can be real heavy, most modern games often lack these exactly for those reasons, cuz they're such extremely resource-demanding features.

for example, try starting any game you have for fun and look down to the floor.
                      most games dont even have the player casting shadow at all
                      and especially no realtime lighting on every single object in game which darkplaces has
                      are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
                      everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

Maybe such great FPS loss near stained glasses is caused by extra-high resolution of cubemaps. What if someone will make a lower resolution cubemaps? I'd like to, but I don't know which program could edit DDS files.

Comment

@FC Zvyozdochka
                          the cubemaps are all of low resolution. the fps loss is caused by all the tons of calculation the engine has to do to render all the shadows and all the effects like reflections and refractions when you use dp-pretty-water by seven and such, and all the huge particle-effects.

most games partially or even completely lack shadows and reflections and refractions and such for this exact reason, cuz they are so resource-demanding.

and also another reason why its so extremely heavy is cuz quake is purely gpu-dependant, it only uses gpu to render and not the cpu.
                          and modern games often also use multi-threading, which darkplaces both do not use.

if these two things would get changed/added to darkplaces, it would run an awefull lot faster on high-end PCs.

ive once contacted lord havoc himself about it and he said he never got around to add those

Comment

Originally posted by splitterface View Post
                            @FC Zvyozdochka
                            the cubemaps are all of low resolution.
                            512x512? Not too low, IMHO.

the fps loss is caused by all the tons of calculation the engine has to do to render all the shadows and all the effects like reflections and refractions when you use dp-pretty-water by seven and such, and all the huge particle-effects.
                            Yep, but with average FPS of 20-30, even with water and massive particle spring in field of view - I still have 5-7 FPS when standig near lightbeam on e2m2 or 4 FPS near the altar in e4m6.

Lightbeams cause the worst FPS loss, this is fact.

and modern games often also use multi-threading, which darkplaces both do not use.

if these two things would get changed/added to darkplaces, it would run an awefull lot faster on high-end PCs.
                            That will be the game I'm dreaming

ive once contacted lord havoc himself about it and he said he never got around to add those
                            I wish he will one day... because MH is now doing fantastic work with his ultra-high-perfomance D3D11 engine, but as I understood, he's not going to equip it with modern shader effects, at least not in the near future.

Comment

As far as I can tell, the lightbeams are giant clusterfucks for the backface culling algorithm that DP uses -- I might be wrong, but it seems like all the intersecting polygons and the sheer numbers OF polygons mixed with the use of stainmaps to project the stained glass on the floor and the lightbeams... it's just intensive as hell, and I doubt DP is optimized for it very well, very likely simply because no one had tried it before. If someone remodeled the lightbeams I think they'd be a lot less intensive. IIRC seanstar had a second model earlier in the thread that worked better, FPS-wise? But it didn't replace all of them, if I recall, making it not too useful for those seeking an FPS boost. Perhaps he'd like to upload a model-replacer version of his beams?

Comment

Originally posted by vaustein View Post
                                Congratulations to the QRP, SMP, and ZRO teams. I'm running a quad core OC'd to 4GHz and 2x SLI'd GTX480s. With all DP features cranked up to max (except AA, which I never use) and most of the textures linked by splitterface, I'm now averaging 50fps in e1m1. When I stand by the stained glass window in start.map, my FPS approaches single digits. I didn't think it was possible for any combination of Quake engine and texture+model packs to drive my rig below 70fps. Even Tenebrae couldn't do that on a bad day. Not complaining, genuinely impressed.
                                Oh, and Vaustein: if you really want it to look nice and your FPS to average the 30s-40s at the best of times, check out the r_shadows_bouncegrid cvars. (I have a single OCd 580 and I don't fall under 40fps most often if I avoid the lightbeams, but I suspect SLI may not work too nicely with DP so YMMV.) Global illumination/radiosity is so pretty in Quake with inkub0's rtlights. Now I really want a nice and horrific postprocess shader, or maybe Depth of Field with bokeh blur like in the Doom3/Quake4 SikkMod... and I will be content.

Comment

Working...
                                X