Its out early!

Download the mod and check out the lanch trailer here:

EpiQuake

Enjoy!
    Composer / Sound Guy
    WEBSITE
    EpiQuake

Comment

coo. im am gonna snag this l8r when i get home!
      My Avatars!
      Quake Leagues
      Quake 1.5!!!
      Definitive HD Quake

Comment

Hi rdmusic,
        You even made a trailer?
        I watched it and 2 scences caught me the most:
        "Your password is incorrect" for closed doors. Hmmm.
        The ogreīs chainsaw sound is great.
        It seems a bit too industrial and loud for me though.
        The Quake ambience is more about "Roooar"īs and "Grrrr"īs.
        But without a doubt a lot of work was put into your pack.
        Always great to see people with new releases.

Comment

Originally posted by rdmusic View Post
          rest assured after the elitist welcome here I'm not sure why the hell I'd ever feel the need to come back...so congrats, mission accomplished. You guys really truly know how to make a new contributor feel welcome. Had I posted this in the "works in progress" section, then all of this feedback would be welcome... but maybe you shouldn't always give (or feel the need to give) unsolicited advice / feedback unless the author requests it.
          All feedback removed as it is not welcome in this thread.
          Last edited by sock; 01-31-2013, 09:42 AM.

Comment

Wow, that's a TON of feedback. I appreciate it... but these sounds aren't supposed to be listened to separately outside of the game.. they have a much different sound and vibe when heard outside of the game. All of these sounds work together as one in the world... and (in my professional opinion) sound great doing so.

I think you may be missing the point of the mod, which is why I'm defending it (I normally steer clear of forum conversations like this one). I wasn't out to recreate the originals.. how boring would that have been? The wind sounds were all deliberately replaced with a more mechanical vibe. In fact, everything I replaced was very deliberately thought out and of my own personal artistic (unique) vision. Hence the reason I made the enforcer a straight up cyborg, made the knight more robotic than human, and made the super nail gun sound more like a well machined silenced stealth weapon... just all changes I wanted to make to change the vibe of the game a bit and give it a fresh audio makeover. Basetry and Baseuse ONLY show up in the slipgate complex maps at the start of each episode... so it makes sense why they are techy in nature. These are hi tech military bases. This is why listening and critiquing these outside of the game is a bad idea.. they're out of context and really do sound different in game. Also, just because a sound is called swamp in the directory.. doesn't mean it must sound like a swamp. It all depends on where it's being used in game and how that sound fits into my audio vision for EpiQuake. The naming conventions were completely strange to begin with and, unfortunately, I had to stick with the original names to get this to work as easily as possible.

You have to understand that without tweaking the code base there's no way to control the reverb and the overall "burned in" effect sounds great to my ears. As for low end... if you don't have a sub or really good headphones you'll be missing much of what I've done with this pak. Almost all of the sounds have some sizeable low end / LFE elements added. The Demon in particular sounds AMAZING with some killer low end if you're rocking a sub.

Just FYI and as a soft reminder.. I do music and sound professionally full time and have been doing so for 10 years. These sounds were mixed / mastered on a professional audio workstation with top of the line studio monitors and sub. While I appreciate your criticisms.. they are all subjective and I question the speaker setup you utilized to make some of your observations. I may make a few adjustments here and there.. but this was released for a reason (b/c I felt extremely happy with what I had done) and paying game clients take priority over this little mod.

If you don't like EpiQuake, then by all means... don't use it .
            Last edited by rdmusic; 01-29-2013, 01:29 PM.
            Composer / Sound Guy
            WEBSITE
            EpiQuake

Comment

Dear rdmusic... I came home from work, downloaded your music and sound pack, CRANKED my Yamaha receiver UP, and started a new game of Quake on nightmare!!!

IT was absolutely AWESOME! And I'm not the biggest fan of single player, original levels, Quake.

Thank you very much for the release of this audio upgrade to Quake. I think I'll actually play the whole game again just to experience all the work and effort you put in

Thanks again,
              - damage_
              Name's damage_inc, and killing is my business. Don't worry though, it's nothing personal! Oh wait... maybe it is

Comment

Thanks for the kind words man. It's been kind of a rough crowd here at Q1... no doubt because many of you are purists, which I totally respect and get.

Originally posted by damage_inc View Post
                Dear rdmusic... I came home from work, downloaded your music and sound pack, CRANKED my Yamaha receiver UP, and started a new game of Quake on nightmare!!!
                Damage, you sir are playing EpiQuake the way it was intended to be played! Crank it and feel the bass! Have fun!
                Composer / Sound Guy
                WEBSITE
                EpiQuake

Comment

Thanks for the kind words man. It's been kind of a rough crowd here at Q1... no doubt because many of you are purists, which I totally respect and get.
                  hehe, most people here are old codgers set in there ways. while the criticism is brutal, its honest (most of the time).

btw, any other quake projects you plan to work on/contribute to?
                  My Avatars!
                  Quake Leagues
                  Quake 1.5!!!
                  Definitive HD Quake

Comment

Wow, that's a TON of feedback. I appreciate it... but these sounds aren't supposed to be listened to separately outside of the game..
                    A ton of feedback you have not bothered to read with understanding, because it's all about how these sounds are interesting and well produced, but don't work well in game.
                    Just FYI and as a soft reminder.. I do music and sound professionally full time and have been doing so for 10 years.
                    How does it is even an argument ?

What a classic display of hubris... I am not a purist, but I still don't enjoy this pack, even when I don't compare it to the original.
                    I won't bother with an actual feedback, since it is clear that the author does not desire it...

What is important here, is that this is not an upgrade, this is just changing everything for the heck of it. Visual equivalent would be replacing NG with a submashine gun, SNG with an assault rifle, etc. There is nothing wrong with doing it and people enjoying playing with it. The way you describe / advertise this as an upgrade that is "consistent with the quake world" and recommend to overwrite sounds in original PAK file permanently is not nice, though. This pack is really in need of a disclaimer, for people who are going to play Quake for the first time, to stay away. You'll keep a lot of the hate outside of public space, if you add it and keep it as a separate PAK file, like the music addon.

It seems that rdmusic does not enjoy “thinker” kind of feedback
                    “defusion smilies”
                    Quake HD: Embrace the decline and have some guilty pleasure with it, or join a club for monocled gentlemen at quaddicted and play Quake the way it's meant to be played.

Comment

Lol... I guess I fit into that category myself... started making levels for Quake with QED back in college, and that was way back in '97. Damn, where does the time go!

Nope, no projects lined up.. but, time permitting, I'm definitely open to providing sound / music for any projects that may need it! So feel free to hit me up here or contact me via my webpage or moddb if you need some audio or music goodness to spice things up. When it comes to projects which I don't own, I'm definitely far more open to feedback and criticism. Hell, the audio has to fit whatever the high concept and/or vision is!
                      Composer / Sound Guy
                      WEBSITE
                      EpiQuake

Comment

Ya know, they call it common sense, but I just don't see it as all that common! At least not in forums??? It's sad really.

rdmusic comes out with something that most likely took alot of time to create and he DELIVERED! And what is the reception here: BASHING and nit picking, really? That's how new Quake community contributors are to be received, FFS??

When "ITS" was first released I d'loaded and played it, now... I didn't exactly care for it but did I rip it apart? Hell NO! Out of respect and admiration for sock, I just kept my opinion to myself. It would serve no good purpose to say what I actually think in as an honest opinion as you guys are showing rdmusic.

Obviously others LOVE it, and rightfully so as it fits their desires in gaming.

Now, sure rd has alot of attitude, and what he made has that as well... he's very confident in his artistic talents, that's no big deal. If it's not for you, simply move along.
                        That's the way it should be. Discussion is fine, what's going on here, not so much.

IMHO,
                        - damage_
                        Name's damage_inc, and killing is my business. Don't worry though, it's nothing personal! Oh wait... maybe it is

Comment

Smith... thats all a matter of opinion man and frankly ALL of those criticisms were completely subjective. Many think these sounds work just fine. This started out as a personal project and when many of my friends started to hear this (most of which are huge fans of the original game) they urged me to release it... so I did. Figured at least a handful of people might enjoy it. The idea was to CHANGE the game a bit while retaining the same vibe, which I've done.

The only reason I brought up my career is to simply reiterate that my opinion is valid..and that the decisions I made within this mod are completely warranted...I get PAID to do this.

Yes I have an attitude... mainly because this project of mine was met with criticisms such as this. Criticisms I didn't ask for, nor do I think should be thrown out towards someones artistic vision. If you dont like it, you dont like it.... I'm cool with that. But damnit man, don't tell me my vision for MY mod is wrong and that the sounds I've come up with are horribly wrong for the game. That's insanely ridiculous.

Bottom line, everyone is most certainly open to their own opinion!
                          Composer / Sound Guy
                          WEBSITE
                          EpiQuake

Comment

GREAT WORK!! I LOVE IT!! I especially love the ambient sounds and "pain". But i have a question: where is the shambler sounds? in the pk3 i only found sounds replacement for pak0.pak and sock spoke about a directory called "boss" i didnt found it!
                            Awesome work I also love the music, specially the "drama" samples hosted in your web!
                            the invasion has begun! hide your children, grab the guns, and pack sandwiches.

syluxman2803

Comment

Writing that you are a pro, so cannot be wrong and that if someone doesn't like it, it's because he listen on pc speaker is what “activated” me.
                              I could have been more diplomatic and maybe my rough English is partially responsible for too rough tone of the post. Sorry for that.

I do not think you should redo everything according to sock's feedback, it would be too much work at this point.
                              Your vision is not for everyone and whatever you could do, wouldn't probably change minds of nay sayers. So it's fine as it is.

A lot of sock's observations had gone beyond “this is not faithful”, understanding what people disliked, could be useful for your next project.
                              I think that these sounds are interesting and well produced, just the way they are used in this game makes them tedious to listen too, for extended period of time.
                              Too much of a “shock value" in the sounds, that are meant to create an ambience.

The way you describe it, encourages newbies to replace originals without a second thought, but it's imo more of a “total conversion” than an “upgrade”.
                              Recommendation to save it for a replay, due to it being very different to original, could make “purists” feel less uncomfortable about it. That is all what I've meant.
                              Obviously a lot of people is going to really enjoy it and you have a reason to feel satisfied with this achievement.

Edit: I also like the music, like the others.
                              Last edited by _Smith_; 01-31-2013, 05:00 AM.
                              Quake HD: Embrace the decline and have some guilty pleasure with it, or join a club for monocled gentlemen at quaddicted and play Quake the way it's meant to be played.

Comment

Smith... thats all a matter of opinion man and frankly ALL of those criticisms were completely subjective. Many think these sounds work just fine. This started out as a personal project and when many of my friends started to hear this (most of which are huge fans of the original game) they urged me to release it... so I did. Figured at least a handful of people might enjoy it. The idea was to CHANGE the game a bit while retaining the same vibe, which I've done.

The only reason I brought up my career is to simply reiterate that my opinion is valid..and that the decisions I made within this mod are completely warranted...I get PAID to do this.

Yes I have an attitude... mainly because this project of mine was met with criticisms such as this. Criticisms I didn't ask for, nor do I think should be thrown out towards someones artistic vision. If you dont like it, you dont like it.... I'm cool with that. But damnit man, don't tell me my vision for MY mod is wrong and that the sounds I've come up with are horribly wrong for the game. That's insanely ridiculous.

Bottom line, everyone is most certainly open to their own opinion!
                                They just jelly brah
                                Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

Working...
                                X