No announcement yet.

EpiQuake - New ORIGINAL HQ Sound and Music Pak

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    seven did add shellcasings in his amazing SMC mod:
    are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
    > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
    everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread


    • #47
      Thanks for the constructive crits Spiney

      I totally see where you're coming from with all of those and actually agree with them 100%

      Had I known there was a shell mod, I wouldnt have burned in the casing sound to the gunfire itself (Doh!).

      As for the out of place beeping... totally agree. Regretfully, I'd have to go in and touch all of the levels (or code revolving around calling sounds for platforms?) to directly tell the plats which sound to use. I totally put those together and let them play based on what sounds the id guys were originally calling. I agree though, the beeping sounds a bit out of place... but when it works, it works well. Something else I was considering when I made some of these platform sounds... what if the game was self aware? I mean, what if these maps were, in theory, test chambers set up to kill the player. Random thought I know, but still... kind of a strange / rad idea that explains why the plats beep. So the levels are.. well.. levels in the quake world. Quakeception.

      For the verb, yeah.. some of the smaller rooms do sound strange. But until someone codes in reverb into the engine itself this is really the only way to immerse the player sound wise in my mind. It seems to work like 80% of the time, the other 20% of the time it either sounds to small or far too big. This is precisely why I kept the reverb tails smallish and neutral.

      Something else that would be cool to add (I'm looking at you amazing coders who traverse this board)... is a way to randomly cycle sounds via virtual "buckets". The enemies for example could have 4 to 6 death sounds all in one spot... then the code calls this virtual "bucket o sound" and the engine picks one of the sounds to play at random. Used this trick on a couple of game projects and it worked flawlessly and fights repetition quite well. This would help the enforcer death sound for sure. But, like the verb issue, to my knowledge there's currently no way to do this.

      Totally okay with these being used in other mods as long as I get credit for the audio files used.

      Thanks again.
      Composer / Sound Guy


      • #48
        Just incase you missed this Rich, I thought I would link some some awesomeness.

        EpiQuake mod updates sounds, music with high-quality recordings | Mods, News | PC Gamer <- You made it into PC Gamer
        Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!


        • #49
          ^ hehe, cool

          I don't know if you check this thread often, but I've been reworking some of the sounds for Schism ( former RemakeQuake )
          The chainsaw sounds are a pain though, good free samples are really hard to come by. We use more sounds for those than regular Quake and we have a chainsaw as a melee weapon. I need sounds such as clean idle sputtering of the engine, spin-up and spin-down and a seamless loop to go inbetween. The free samples I find online are hard to make seamless and there's often pitch modulation with a long phase that I can't get rid of (gives an ugly whiny sound). I'm asking you since I really (really) like the chainsaw sound in epiquake, and was wondering if you could share some recordings or perhaps even help us fixing a few of those samples? Quite simply what I feel I need though is the epiquake chainsaw sound but with the missing parts so we can use it for everything chainsaw related.

          PS: on a sidenote to everyone else, if there's a QC whiz wanting to contribute to a long term mod project that would be great. There's been some lack of expertise in that area since Supa left and any help would certainly be appreciated. There's a lot of activity behind the curtains and we're dead set on getting this thing done


          • #50
            This is top-notch stuff. Thanks a lot for this, it gives the game a fresh, yet familiar atmosphere and finally removes the dull sounds from the game (even though the originals remain great, ofc).

            With Darkplaces, I have actually put the files into a separate "epiquake" dir and load them with -game epiquake, so I can always choose whether to play with the new sounds or not by simply adding or removing that parameter.

            A perfect match for those using highres textures and models for sure, it all fits together now. Thumbs up for this!
            Authentic Models Pack
            OriOn's ID1 Model Fixes for MP1+2
            LIT/VIS files for Quake addons