No announcement yet.

swords for MP2 DoE aka ROGUE (SMC)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

earlier today went and searched for some pics of nice swords, and found a bunch which i liked
    including this one, which is apparently a sword from skyrim:

it caught my eye cuz it looks quite fancy and neat while still being basic, which would make it a lot easier to make then some of the other swords i found. and it also looks a bit like the original sword from rogue

after browsing a bit more and finding more pics of this sword and collecting pics of the other swords i saw that i liked, i decided that this sword from skyrim would be the first sword id try to make since its a simple sword which will be good for a first attempt ever at making a sword.

didnt look at the clip gb posted yet but will another time, but i started already on the blade after thinking for a moment and thinking of an easy way to make a blade-shape, which i did by making a cylinder-shape with 6 sides and stretch it along Z-axis and squish it along X-axis to create a blade-shape, and pull the center of the top-face of the cylinder upwards to make the tip, and then using the 'loop cut&slide' tool to split the length and stretch and move the loops to create the basic shape of the blade ::

what i got so far, creating it while holding the above-pic open as reference for how to shape it:
    are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
    > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
    everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

Good to seethe creativity!

Comment

Good stuff Talisa!!
        Scout's Journey
        Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

bit of progress i just made:

recalled i had found one pic which was straight from front,
          so i added a face-mesh and put that picture of front of weapon on it and sized it up to be same size as i made my blade,
          so that i could get the shape better

also, i flattened the blade, which is why the pic has shading set to flat, otherwise it wouldnt be visible what i did
          using the stretch option of blender on the loops made it so that the front of the weapon wasnt flat,
          so i moved vertexes of each loop back so that its flat again

next: adding that concaved line along the center of blade
          are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
          everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

thanx planet

got yet another update, last night i worked some more on the sword.
            added the concaved line along center and adjusted the sides so the blade is shaped correctly, so the blade itself is done now

started work on a handle but after playing around with it for a while i noticed i made the shape wrong and missed a part.
            made the handle have rounded edges while it should have straight edges, and i forgot that spikey part that goes over the blade
            so another time i will be redoing the handle from scratch and make sure to make it the right shape

also added a simple holding-part for the time untill i make a nicer one next time

Comment

That does look pretty good.
              Scout's Journey
              Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

you should do axe animations for this too! for a easy replacement model. it looks very hi quality

Comment

more updates

re-made the handle from scratch and added that spikey part at top this time, and i also adjusted the hand-grip a tiny bit to make it lightly square-shaped which i think looks nicer then 100% cylinder-shaped

also, cuz im so excited to see what it would look like in-game, i did a quick test
                  did really lazy quick UV-mapping using the 'project from view' option and using the pic i been using as reference as texture on it,
                  added the first frozen frame and exported it as md3 so i could look at it in-game....

even in this half-finished state it already looks awesome in-game imo <3

if any of you wanna have a look at it in-game, here is an alpha-version (same as in pic) of the sword so you can have a look at it in-game.
                  >removed due to release of the sword<

the model itself isnt complete, the UV-mapping is uberlazy and it has stretching and misalignment, and it isnt animated at all yet.
                  slso for some reason the blade seems to be inside-out, no clue how that happened

just wanted to share a sneak-peek of how itll look like with you all
                  so lemme know what you think of it so far

of course this doesnt represent what itll look like, this is just a quick export i did.

also @ JD:
                  thats not a bad idea at all, and i actually was thinking about the same earlier today, to perhaps also make a replacement for the hud axe weapon
                  so you can instead slash the enemies of quake with your sword instead of with axe

also been thinking of perhaps one the model is finished to look at maybe looking into making a version for hexen2.
                  seeing the paladin of hexen2 has a small sword as second weapon i had the idea to that once my sword is finished to use it to make an HD replacement for the hud sword
                  Last edited by talisa; 10-02-2013, 10:14 AM.

Comment

hi talisa,
                    -
                    you're right, it really looks good. keep 'em comin'. one final suggestion - the sword shouldn't be so clean. please add some blood on it.
                    -
                    jakub
                    my projects so far:

Travail retextured ___/___ Knave HD textures
                    Tronyn in high definiton ___/___Abyss of Pandemonium HD textures
                    Nehahra rtlights and other experiments

Comment

thanx jakub

also of course the sword wont look like this when its finished,
                      this was just a real quick test i did using the pic i used for reference as texture

when i do get to texturing it i might add blood to it perhaps

Comment

dun dun dun..... another update!

widened the grip a lil bit and added the bottom part to the handle

which means that the model itself is done now,
                        and i can proceed to the next step: UV-mapping and texturing

Comment

did another quick test in-game: the finished model with lazy UV-mapping

Comment

That deserves a
                            Scout's Journey
                            Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

et le voila...

the sides dun really match color, but uhm... yeah...
                              im by no means a professional texturer, not at all

i just used google to find some textures which looked ok for sides of handle-parts, for grip and for the knob at bottom

if there's anybody who can make better textures for the sword, please do let me know

EDIT: btw it does look better in-game when you see textures at full resolution and with RTlights
                              Last edited by talisa; 10-01-2013, 09:39 AM.

Comment

.....and i got yet another big update!

i animated the sword i made, which means it is finished now

updated link in first post of thread with new pk3 which includes the new sword

i made it replace the sword with the W-shaped handle (which felt out-of-place in quake) in the pack

Comment

Working...
                                X