swords for MP2 DoE aka ROGUE (SMC)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• swords for MP2 DoE aka ROGUE (SMC)

just yesterday i had to think back of that webangel was working on making a replacement sword for rogue, and since over time i gained some knowledge about blender and how to animate stuff in it nowadays,
    i found myself thinking why i shouldnt try it myself since seven said all you had to do was rotate and move the model for the animation and thus the animating of the weapons was extremely simple.

so yesterday i went to browse the web to find some nice sword models, and i found a couple. took one of them into blender and imported the original ROGUE sword
    as well into blender so i could see the animation, and step by step replicated each of the frames for the new sword and exported it as MD3 to try if it worked, and it did

so i took 2 more swords and also animated those for rogue, and le voila

(NEW 2013-10-01th: added the sword i made myself on the far-left)

here is a pk3 with all 4 the swords for use with SMC: MULTI-SWORDS FOR ROGUE (SMC) (update: now includes the skyforge sword that i made!)

to use them, just drop them in your rogue folder, and add/change 'set swordmultiskin 3' in the autoexec.cfg in your ROGUE folder

also, i made single sword packs for use without the SMC:
    skyforge sword made by me(1st in pic above)
    broad-sword with gems (2nd in the pic above)
    basic sword (3rd in the pic above)
    hellsword (4th in the pic above)

sword with W-shaped handle (3rd in the pic in the post below)

if anybody knows any more nice-looking free sword-models, please do share links to them and ill look into animating them for ROGUE
    had trouble myself finding any more good-looking ones which were free, so if anybody else knows any please do share the models
    (as long as they are not in 3ds or max formats cuz i dun have 3DS-max)
    Last edited by talisa; 10-01-2013, 02:18 PM.
    are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
    > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
    everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

update, just finished animated the hellsword model a bit ago.

had some probs with exporting at first with the sword only showing up partially cuz of some non-manifold parts (no clue what that means )
    but after looking it up through google i found on a site a way to fix that and was able to export it and have it show up fully

updated the link in the 1st post with new pack which has this sword added,
    and i also added a link at bottom to pk3 with only the hellsword for use without SMC
    are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
    everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

Very cool!

Comment

thanx gdiddy

it makes the rogue swords so much cooler, to now have a whole bunch of different awesome swords for it

thinking of replacing the one with W-handle though since it doesnt fit as well as the others. but its pretty hard to find any good-looking free sword-models.
        most ones that are free either look like crap, dont fit into quake, or are model-formats which only 3ds-max can read (.max or.3ds files)

Comment

Sweet! Nice work!

Comment

thanx JD

Comment

these swords are truly impressive. there are only two problems:
              -
              1 - invisible knight is quite rare monster in rogue
              2 - whoever holds something like the hellsword should have more hp. these swords convey the idea of formidable opponent, but in reality he is weak and maybe the sword is just too grandiose.
              -
              anyway... it does't matter. i'll use them 'cause they are so beautiful. thank you talisa.
              -
              jakub
              my projects so far:

Travail retextured ___/___ Knave HD textures
              Tronyn in high definiton ___/___Abyss of Pandemonium HD textures
              Nehahra rtlights and other experiments

Comment

you're welcome, glad you like em

Comment

There are import plugins for blender for max
                  WARNING
                  May be too intense for some viewers.
                  Stress Relief Device
                  ....BANG HEAD HERE....
                  ---------------------------
                  .--------------------------

Comment

@blutnz

hmm really?
                    when i investigated i found everywhere that the 3ds-max formats are closed-source formats,
                    and thus that there are no import or export plugins possible for these formats?

also @ jakub:
                    you can easily increase the hp of ghost-swords yourself. just open sevens modified ROGUE source.
                    and open the invis_sw.qc with notepad or word or such, and in that qc file find this line:
                    self.health = 150; // 75;
                    just increase the first number to increase the health of ghost-sword.
                    save it and then run ftqecc.exe to compile a new progs.dat and voila, the ghostsword will have more HP
                    Last edited by talisa; 09-25-2013, 08:44 AM.

Comment

So you decided the give the swords some variants, well done.

Comment

thanx frost, glad you like em

took me about 1-2 hour per sword to replicate the original animations

just wanna remind you all that if any of you know any other good or even better looking free sword-models do please share the links to them.
                        i used these cuz it were the best ones i could find for free, but im sure there's even nicer ones

or if you know a sword-model which you'd like animated for rogue, just link it to me and ill gladly animate it cuz its so easy and quickly done

Comment

Since you are already pretty good at using Blender, why not try your hand at making a sword model?

A simple sword is one of the easiest objects to make in Blender. You can import a reference image from the net to give you the basic proportions.

This is a sword modeling tutorial that seems quite good:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=en8RTOSKQno]Blender Tutorial for Beginners Practice Modeling a Simple Sword by VscorpianC - YouTube[/ame]

The only thing that's not applicable to game assets is the way she applies materials here; for IQM models, you can only apply one material (texture) to one object, meaning your blade and handle have to be separate objects. Naturally they will need to be UV unwrapped (Blender's smart UV unwrapping is often sufficient) and each material needs a texture of the type "Image or Movie", not just a colour as is seen in this video.

It is naturally hard to find good free models, because we live in a world where people need money so anyone who can make good models will try to sell them...

the best solution is to make your own.
                          Last edited by golden_boy; 09-28-2013, 09:05 AM.
                          Scout's Journey
                          Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

when i investigated i found everywhere that the 3ds-max formats are closed-source formats,
                            and thus that there are no import or export plugins possible for these formats?
                            Blender supports .3ds right out of the box just go to sourceforge and get the quakeforge plugins for import export for.mdl and your good to go.Of course you need to enable plugins from the preferences tab in blender.
                            Last edited by bluntz; 09-28-2013, 05:45 PM.
                            WARNING
                            May be too intense for some viewers.
                            Stress Relief Device
                            ....BANG HEAD HERE....
                            ---------------------------
                            .--------------------------

Comment

@bluntz
                              hmm whaddayaknow, you're right. jsut checked import options and saw it supports importing 3ds. didnt know it did.
                              knowing that i can search again, cuz i recall i turned some models down which were 3ds format cuz i thought blender didnt support importing of 3ds models.

i already have mdl import&export plugin and exporter for md3.
                              if i didnt i wouldnt have been able to import the rogue sword to look at the animation and replicate the frames

@gb
                              thats not a bad idea at all. i am by no means anything close to professional modeller at all, but i know the basics of modelling, and know how to UV-map and how to animate.
                              made a hi-poly replacement staff for the drake mod before, a not-to-fancy sword shouldnt be much more difficult then that.
                              so i might some day try my hand at making a hi-poly sword for rogue myself

Comment

Working...
                              X