just another axe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• just another axe

for some time i had the idea to make an axe based on some pics of a nice axe i found online, and couple days ago i decided to actually sit down and make it

after i finished the model and texturing i thought like 'why not animate it for quake?'... and so thats exactly what i did
    DOWNLOAD TAL'S AXE V1.21

axe is compatible with the SMC's Q3quad effect! (click here for pic)

2014.09-04 v1.21- updated model itself, added edge-splits to sharp edges so that shading on the axe is correct (comparison-pic here)
    2014-09-04 v1.2- updated the axe to add normal-maps, which help make the reflect pop and look more real!
    2014-18-03 v1.1- updated the axe to make it usable with the new Q3A quad-effect implented into the SMC!

Last edited by talisa; 09-04-2014, 05:47 AM.
    are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
    > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
    everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

I like it!

You should make an melee weapons pack. Fight your way through Quake with stuff like:

machete
    axe
    scythe
    pitchfork
    spade
    etc

Oh wait, you could make a whole mod. Militant Farmer Quake. That would be awesome!
    http://www.nextgenquake.com

Comment

thanx, thought it would be nice to have a more medieval and fierce-looking axe for quake

also, that mod idea would be hilarious
      "c'mere ya nasty fiend, lemme smack ya with mah mighty shovel!"
      are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
      everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

Well, you could change that too.

Monsters could be

The President of Monsanto
        Government regulators
        a trespasser
        family members from a feuding family

Maps could be

Your farm
        The courthouse
        Monsanto headquarters
        The Hattfields property
        The big city

To keep some quake in it there is a back story that the Farmer was using monsanto products but the food from the genetically modified plants has started turning the town into a bunch of "mutants". These mutants could be shamblers, vores, etc, but most of them just turn into grunts.

You have basically sold your soul and farm to Monsanto due to double talk by a bunch of Big City lawyers and now it's your job to kill everybody and try to start over. if you beat the game you purify your land with fire and start growing natural food again.

Militant Farmer Quake: Monsanto

make it so.

Comment

Originally posted by MadGypsy View Post
          make it so.
          lmao you are the QC coder here, not me

Comment

SWEET! nice work talisa! ill give it a try but im kinda still stuck on the sword you made. keep up the modeling work.

Comment

thanx JD!

and i most certainly will

was thinking i could also use my axe as hi-poly replacement for the axe that the axe-knight in drake throws at you.
              should be easy enough since i assume the model only rotates forward in a loop

Comment

you know i was thinking of that too but check the progs folder cose i think the rotation is all in the QC. (not 100% on that) you just need to make it with out the hand. if you can replace the ax in the knights hand or at least the skin so it matches that would be impressive.

Comment

Always good to see new variations. Great work.

Comment

You don't need QC. You just change all the models and maps and then tell people the back story.

Comment

thanx gdiddy

@gypsy and JD
                      just checked and indeed, the model itself isnt animated at all and rotation is done with QC.
                      so that made my work extremely easy, all i had to do was scale and position the model to match original and voila

GET IT HERE!

also i noticed i forgot to add qfist.tga to the pk3 of the replacement hud axe
                      so i fixed that and uploaded new pk3 which includes the texture.

replace the axe in the axeknights hand with mine? sure i could do that without much problems,
                      but it would make the axeknight himself seem quite ugly compared to the axe he's holding

so i wont be doing that for that reason
                      Last edited by talisa; 12-04-2013, 02:29 PM.

Comment

Good show, mate!

Comment

thanx

if id replace the axe in his hands i would choose to replace the model in its entirety so the whole model is the same amount of detail

but sadly my modelling skills are nowhere near good enough for that, i can only do some very basic modelling,
                          stuff like making complete characters like that is not in anywhere in the near future,
                          id need a looooooooooot more practice before id be able to make such complex models

Comment

No doubt, character modeling is really involved. I have yet to bring a character model to complete life. I get really far but never quite reach the finish line. Depending on the format, just getting a character model to export properly can be a huge pain in the ass.

Comment

uhuh ive noticed that indeed, that it can be a pain in the ass to even get a model to export properly with some file formats

i hope one day i can get good enough to be able to make actual characters.
                              like i would love to be able to make models to replace some of the monsters from the drake mod,
                              especially the night-gaunt which i think is an absolutely awesome enemy

the model it has doesnt do this awesome lovecraftian creature justice imo, it looks kinda cute actually

what the monster really looks like and how id love to make him look in drake:

and also id love to re-do the baron, which is a pretty awesome enemy

the model has a lot of texture-stretching (especially on arms) and the vertexes are extremely 'swimmy'
                              cuz of the high amount of polys and having quite fancy animations while it is an mdl model

its quite amazing for an mdl, but this enemy could look so much better if it would be an md3
                              Last edited by talisa; 11-13-2013, 12:09 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X