'Faithful' Shambler Re-creation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dutch View Post
    White fur or off-white leathery skin? Let the classic debate begin. Hell I might even start a poll. Lol.
    ooooooh. Hard to pick. Haven't voted on the poll yet, but I'm inclined to go with fur. Though I would say off-white dirty and bloodied fur. Or even patched fur.

Comment

Perhaps a combo of fur and leathery chest? Just a thought.

Comment

if you do fur, you'll need to make it wave in the wind. and give it bunny ears.

on a more serious note, you'll probably find leathery skin easier to draw. most of the detail can then come from your bumpmap rather than having to paint individual strands of fluff.
        proper fur is more awesome to see though, at least if it moves properly too.
        Some Game Thing

Comment

Nothing scarier than dry sickly hide. And with new code too!

Side note: This whole concept reminds me of a picture I saw once with quake demons and their boss counterparts which, unfortunately, never existed.

http://androidarts.com/kawaiik/kawaiik_demons3.jpg

Take a look if you'd like, although I don't suggest making a boss shambler look like the one pictured here, because it's not as menacing as an eyeless horror with a bloody jaw for a face. Keep doing what you're doing, as it looks great so far.
          Steel Sentinels remake project developer since 2012.

Comment

Originally posted by Spike View Post
            an hourglass figure on a shambler seems a little wrong.
            Hour glass figures aren't just for the petite and dainty, says Cain Marko
            Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

with quake demons and their boss counterparts
              Giga Shambler looks awesome

------------

I voted for fur but instead of making real fur or simply using a texture, how about modeling some fur points in certain areas. Kinda like this image of Beast but maybe not so much of it...more like the hair on his head.
              Last edited by MadGypsy; 07-31-2014, 12:04 PM.
              http://www.nextgenquake.com

Comment

Originally posted by Spike
                if you do fur, you'll need to make it wave in the wind. and give it bunny ears.
                Lmao now that's a visual.

@Pringles Man: those boss variant drawings are interesting. The vore queen gave me a couple of ideas. Instead of a queen, maybe a large sire. What if most vores were female but every now and then the player runs across a big-ass male Sire? I could make him bigger and more muscular, with more guttural sounds instead of the normal screeching. And no magic firepods, just straight up physical aggression.

Looks like everyone's across the board (kind of expected that lol). I like the idea of fur patches.

Another idea I had was to make three different shamblers based on age. The youngest would basically be like a new-born, small, quick, not all that dangerous, but travel in packs (I guess kind of like Quoth's voreling). The second would be like a teenager, about the size of a large man, still fairly quick but a lot more lethal. The final would be the big mother-fucker I've been working on. The idea would be to incorporate certain elements that give the impression of age. The young ones would be all skin. The old one would have patches of fur and even paler skin, and the ability to use lightning attacks.

I took a spur-of-the-moment trip out of town, so I won't be able to update the shambler until I get back (forgot to grab the .blend file off my PC and put it on my laptop...that's what I'm using right now). But I'm going to start working on some other model for the time being, probably a new shalrath, using topology tips from Gypsy and some online tutorials (thanks again buddy).
                Last edited by Dutch; 08-02-2014, 02:06 AM.
                'Replacement Player Models' Project

Comment

Good work on the Shambler.

I always saw him with fur matted down with dried and clotted blood.

I love those new critter designs. I keep thinking of what you could do with Dark Places, an insane level designer and a bestiary like that, it would be literally awesome!

Comment

Fur or no fur the Shambler is a beast!

"Even other monsters fear him, so expect a clobbering. He shrugs off explosions. Good luck."
                    — Quake Manual
                    In Quake, a Shambler is a large yeti-like beast with blood-stained moldy skin, a very large mouth displaying enormous fangs, no visible eyes, and sharp claws. The Shambler has a complete lack of facial expression. Its furious melee claw smash does enormous damage, and at a distance, it can attack by projecting a bolt of electricity towards you. Its electricity attack will only work if it sees you when it ends its charging up animation. Otherwise, it'll miss.
                    Make no mistakes here... I'm not a mere madman... I'm a realist!

Comment

@ Tea Monster

Thank you sir! I'm referencing your Ogre build for this project.

@ Krymzon

"yeti-like beast with blood-stained moldy skin"

That's kind of contradictory lol. Yetis are furry, I always thought, but here they claim he has skin. Lol.

I think I'll stick to my idea of 3 different shamblers with age progression, the youngest all skin, the middle a combo, and the adult all fur.

EDIT: Adam had great idea of adding a layer of translucent skin over a sickly looking denser skin. I love it. I may not use this on the Shambler, but there are some undead creatures I want to model that this would be totally gruesome on. A thin translucent skin covering rotting internal organs.

Comment

A couple more skin tex ideas :

Bone and pale muscle :

Leathery hard carapace :

Shamblers younger sister.

Source
                        Username : Atomic Robokid on Steam

Please check out my Quake made things:

https://www.indiedb.com/games/run-over
                        https://adam-freeman.itch.io/hazard
                        https://adam-freeman.itch.io/diver
                        https://adam-freeman.itch.io/beyond

Comment

Lol Dutch

That's what the Quake wiki said about it. I just copied and pasted the info.
                          Make no mistakes here... I'm not a mere madman... I'm a realist!

Comment

Originally posted by Krymzon 45 View Post
                            That's what the Quake wiki said about it. I just copied and pasted the info.
                            The Wikia one. It is full of inaccuracies and made-up things like that.
                            Quake 1 Singleplayer Maps and Mods

Comment

Originally posted by Spirit
                              The Wikia one. It is full of inaccuracies and made-up things like that.
                              I noticed that most of the stuff on their isn't official.

@Adam: Nice find on those pics man. Gives me a few more ideas. I got more ideas than I have time to put em to use haha

Comment

Working...
                              X