Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sock
    replied
    With the final map Forgotten Sepulcher finished after a long year of development, Arcane Dimensions is now a complete project. All the map hub portals are full of places to explore and the only thing left to do, is create one final downloadable zip file!

Since the release of AD 1.6 there has been a new release of the Quakespasm engine (0.93) which is recommended for running this MOD. The special AD mod engine is not necessary anymore, but it still works fine if you liked the extra features (The front menu had a MOD option and there was an alternative version (QSS) with better particles)

The AD zip file is getting a bit big and inconvenient to download and I think its time to start splitting stuff off into separate files. The AD map source files are not needed or viewed much and if anyone wants to see them, just drop me an email request.

This download contains all the previous maps, some new extra code and features, lots of bug fixes, some new mapper features (check documentation) and as a final bonus, a couple of extra maps hidden away in the main map hubs, good hunting!

Website/Download - http://www.simonoc.com/pages/design/sp/ad.htm

Leave a comment:

• TheKillingJoke
    replied
    You feel unwelcomed? That's not good.

I for my part welcome every single bit of new regarding the AD mod. Somewhere else i stated that it's a whole new game more or less and i'm really excited about it. I had a quick look into it and saw some of GGRCs videos playing AD. I will play it after new year and i'm really happy that i saved it up until then. It will be a celebration. Phones out of the window, nailed and bolted housedoor, crushed doorbell, windows all painted black, cats into the animal shelter, tied up neighbours, street closed. No disturbances! Coffee, Cola, Chips. Quakespasm. Headphones. Volume up until my ears bleed.

I am a modder and i did some first maps but i neither see the code nor the mapping techniques behind a mod that i play. I want the adventures and the action, the atmosphere and the Quake setting, the nice art design, the simplicity, the gore and the guns. sock You and the other modders did an unbelievable job and every inch, corner and pixel sweats the love and work you put into AD and you even seem to develope it further and further. I am thankful for that because AD gives me a lot of the things i really miss in nowadays games.

I don't take it for granted. I take it for a big, shiny, tasty present out of nowhere.

Consider me a fanboy, not of the guys behind the AD mod but the mod itself (well, nonetheless, you all rock like hell and i'm not gay but i would totally suck all of your Dicks! (meant in good fun, no real intention to do so )).

Greetings and have a nice weekend

Leave a comment:

• MadGypsy
    replied
    @ I never feel welcome at this place and prefer to drift through once in a blue moon.

That's insanity! You are arguably the MOST welcomed person here. How much love, thumbs ups, followers, adoration and respect do you need, brother? This entire site are your fans....hanging on your every release and accomplishment. Spike might be the only other person here with as much respect as you have.
    Last edited by MadGypsy; 12-16-2017, 12:24 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Dutch
    replied
    Excellent !!! I've become a regular viewer of your Twitter page waiting for more news. This is good to hear.

General aside:

I know it doesn't matter now, but to anyone who read my previous posts regarding command-line options in this thread...I provided some misinformation. You don't add -game quoth or -game hipnotic. It is simply just -quoth or -hipnotic. This allows the HUD features without running the quoth or hipnotic mod.

Thanks to mugwump for reminding me of that in some other thread.

Leave a comment:

• TheKillingJoke
    replied
    Well, there is my first christmas present :-)

Leave a comment:

• sock
    replied
    Originally posted by R00k View Post
    I've even gotten Qrack running protocol 666 and your mod flawlessly... you are certainly always welcome here imho!
    Thanks man, very much appreciated. A new version of AD 1.7 is due out soon for xmas, featuring more stuff!

Last edited by sock; 12-31-2017, 04:14 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Hipnotic Rogue
    replied
    ^
    I kinda know the feeling. There are times when some post responders are a bit too 'cool for school'. There's not a huge amount of cheer leading on here. I'm sure a project as huge as AD gets tiresome and some 'peppy' posts wouldn't go amiss. Perhaps it's because everyone here is a mapper or coder so don't tend to get to bowled over by other peoples work...dunno.

Leave a comment:

• R00k
    replied
    Originally posted by sock View Post
    I never feel welcome at this place and prefer to drift through once in a blue moon.
    [
    Oh no! How can this be possible? Your mod is the best thing to happen to Quake in a long time! I remember when RMQ was getting all the love, and look what happened to that!
    I've even gotten Qrack running protocol 666 and your mod flawlessly... you are certainly always welcome here imho!

Leave a comment:

• sock
    replied
    Originally posted by Hipnotic Rogue View Post
    I just noticed that Sock has posted a cheeky wee screenshot showing off an inventory screen with keys shown.

Here is the screenshot in question, showing a simple text menu of Arcane Keys being carried by the player. I was maintaining a list of arcane keys in the QC, so its little effort to report this to the screen/console. I also bound it to a new key "i" in the config.rc file and if the key binding is free then it will be added to the config.cfg.

If anyone wants to know the latest AD stuff, just check my twitter account or email me. Its at the bottom of all my website pages.

Originally posted by bfg666 View Post
    @inventory That's a nifty idea! Sock, if you're reading this, you should consider adding something like that to the final release.
    I read this thread every now and then, but not very often. I never feel welcome at this place and prefer to drift through once in a blue moon.

Leave a comment:

• Hipnotic Rogue
    replied
    Thanks, Dutch, for the explanation. It always nice to learn more about my favourite FPS (even if I am a luddite!).

I just noticed that Sock has posted a cheeky wee screenshot showing off an inventory screen with keys shown.

So good to see AD still being worked on. Every time there's a release, I fear it'll be the last and that Sock has moved on to something else...

I really hope that AD becomes a standard in Quakes future in the same way that Quoth has.

Leave a comment:

• Dutch
    replied
    Just finished the new map. Once again, outstanding work to all involved! I made it to the end on nightmare before I finally died in the boss fight. Was pretty tough but not too bad. Missed 8 secrets.

Also, what were the messages "Enter the Dragon" and the one about the Lich Fiend? Anyone know? I saw the Lich Fiend model in the progs folder, pretty scary looking dude. I was expecting him to jump out somewhere in the map, as well as one of the dragons from qtest but never saw either...

Leave a comment:

• Dutch
    replied
    Actually, I just remembered that sock released an updated engine with this latest map, meaning that there's nothing stopping him at all from incorporating new HUD features. It would be fairly simple.

@how does quoth do it

A bit of info first: the quake engine draws HUD pics from a file called gfx.wad in the mod directory if present, or back in PAK0 in id1 if not. Any of the images can be altered in the gfx.wad, so long as they maintain the original image names, because this is what the engine searches for.

The hipnotic and rogue mission packs used new gfx wads that had more pictures for the added items, meaning that the engine now had to check for these. Some engines allow more than one mod in the command-line, and quoth recommended that players launch the game with '-game hipnotic -game quoth' to enable the hipnotic HUD pics being drawn, which quoth modified to show quoth items (plasma gun, for instance).

However, quoth is so well known, that some engines like MarkV check for hipnotic, rogue, and quoth as gametypes, and look for the appropriate gfx pics. This is also a workaround to the fact that a lot of engines, MarkV included, don't support more than one mod in the command-line (or at least I couldn't get it to work).

This is one area where quoth is not compatible with all engines. Use an engine that doesn't support multiple mods AND has no gametype check for "quoth" and it will use the old quake gfx, and new items won't show up on the HUD.

Leave a comment:

• Hipnotic Rogue
    replied
    How does Quoth do it? Is that incompatible with any maps?

@Dutch: That would certainly be better than nothing.

Leave a comment:

• Mugwump
    replied
    @inventory That's a nifty idea! Sock, if you're reading this, you should consider adding something like that to the final release.

Leave a comment:

• Dutch
    replied
    Adding new key icons to the HUD would only work on Darkplaces/FTE with the use of CSQC. But it would be possible to over-ride the centerprint function with a multi-line centerprint (like FrikBot's waypoint editor) that could display the player's inventory when an impulse is sent. Say it's impulse 200, for example. Bind shift to impulse 200, and when you press shift, a centerprint pops up that displays all the keys in the inventory.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X