No announcement yet.

HD textures for SP-maps!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ooh, I didn't think you could reposition the torches when using the SMC's auto-align feature! This could be useful in some places like id's original start map - after the skill selection when you arrive in the episode selection hall, one of the two torches behind you is aligned to the wrong wall.
    ♪ I'm skiiiiiiinnin' in the pain, just skiiiiiiinnin' in the pain ♪
    ♪ What a glorious feelin' I'm haaaaaaappy again ♪

Comment

• @bfg666
      the repositioning of the torches has nothing to do with the SMC,
      the SMC only adjusts the rotation of the torches by scanning for the nearest wall and rotating the model's by adjusting the "angle" of the entity

editing map-entities through the use of ent-files is a feature from darkplaces

with ent-files you can not only add entities but you can also re-position existing entities,
      or even remove them from the map by simply deleting the block from the object

they can also be used to change the music-track, make a map use a custom sky-box or change the maps 'name' (the message line)
      are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
      > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
      everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

• Yes, I know, but I was thinking that since the SMC has this auto-align feature, it would also realign torches that were fixed via .ent file. Good to know that it doesn't.

BTW, has anyone heard about Seven lately? I'm waiting for his answer to a question I asked in the SMC thread and according to his profile stats, his last log on QuakeOne was 3 weeks ago.
        Last edited by Mugwump; 11-27-2016, 10:57 AM.

Comment

• also ah yes i see what you mean in ID1 start-map...
          this would most likely be caused by the SMC torches doing trace-lines in a clockwise rotation untill it finds the closest wall.
          both walls are equally close, and it aligns the torch to the first wall it found while checking, so it aligns the torch to the back-wall.

this can easily be fixed by just moving that particular torch 2 units away from the back-wall

in your ent-file of start-map, find this block (should be somewhere around 1/3rd of the way down)
          {
          "origin" "386 1554 132"
          "classname" "light_torch_small_walltorch"
          }

simply change the 1554 to 1556 instead, so that it looks like this
          {
          "origin" "386 1556 132"
          "classname" "light_torch_small_walltorch"
          }
          and voila, now the torch will get aligned to the side-wall cuz that one is slightly closer now

EDIT: the SMC only adjusts the rotation, not the position
          Last edited by talisa; 11-27-2016, 10:06 AM.
          are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
          everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

• Cool, thanks Tal!

Comment

• Update for Terra HD texture pack is done, need only to test it in game then it's ready for download, for sure by tomorrow
              Make Quake Great Again

Comment

• i been busy with a texture-pack for retrojam5 myself today.

its about 80% done so far, and ive only got 13 textures to do

Comment

• After Terra is the turn of Hexameron: since they share many textures and it's at 99% done it will be really easy to do. After that I'll take a look at Plumbers Don't Wear Ties by Andrew Than Palmer https://www.quaddicted.com/reviews/apsp2.html

I have compiled a 500 MB texture pack containing all the Knave textures, so to have a single .pk3 in your id1 folder that covers all the maps without having too much texture packs to download, but I'm undecided to upload it, since it lacks some textures, at the moment it's in my ID1 folder
                  Make Quake Great Again

Comment

• allllmost done with the texture-pack for retrojam5....

so expect a release later today

Comment

• Originally posted by talisa View Post
                      allllmost done with the texture-pack for retrojam5....

so expect a release later today
                      Great, I'm uploading on my dropbox the Terra update, need only to update the gallery then it's ready for download
                      Make Quake Great Again

Comment

• retrojam5 HD texture pack has been released!

> album with more pics here <

as usual, you can find link to download in first post of the thread

Comment

• Yeah, going to play it after finished some maps. Here's the link for new version of Terra:
                          https://www.dropbox.com/s/lvtnhbnd97...-V1.1.rar?dl=0

Contains also .lits and pretty water. Imgur is giving me some troubles so I'll upload the new gallery when it works again for me

About Retrojam5: The MHcolour program done a very good work with RJ5 .lit files (this is my opinion), I've decided to share them here to show the results. Here's the link:
                          https://www.dropbox.com/s/dkeophjy0o...-LITS.pk3?dl=0
                          Make Quake Great Again

Comment

• No normals with this pack? Noticed the previous version does have normals for most textures and this one doesn't seem to

Comment

• i dont include normals with my texture-packs cuz im afraid i cant do normals.
                              i have no programs and no knowledge about how to manually create normal-maps

all i have is the normal-map plugin for gimp but that really only works for generic materials.
                              for more detailed textures with patterns and multiple layers the results are generally pretty crappy with it

Comment

• Maybe I can try to figure something out with alpha channels + some kind of normal map generator to create normals for some of these if you would be interested.

My goal would be to get them up to par with the QRP normal map quality - I would be interested to know just how those were created.

Comment

Working...
                                X