Quake 1.5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quake 1.5

Hey guys, I haven't been around here in quite a while, but I just wanted to show off a little project I'm working on.

The goal is to create a sort of medium between the Quake weapons with the more animated Quake 2 design approach, along with some inspiration from Duke3D as well as adding more realistic visuals like ejecting brass and other shit

Textured:

Axe

Shotgun

Nailgun

Grenade Launcher

Rocket launcher

WIPs:

SSG

SNG

LG

Help wanted

I know an animator that can rig so Darkplaces is probably the target port, but if anybody can do vertex animation (is that what quake 1 uses?) or can point me towards programs that can help me animate and export to quake 1 that'd be greatly appreciated as I'd like this to work in other ports as well.

Also on the coding front we could use somebody who knows QC, for basic stuff like ejecting shells, nails sticking in walls, enemy knockback, features like that.
    Last edited by Bloodshot; 08-09-2015, 10:29 PM.

Wow, Bloodshot, looks interesting! Keep us posted!

Comment

i think you really nailed down the feel of the original weapons.almost looks like a natural evolution of sorts. keep up the good work.
      My Avatars!
      Quake Leagues
      Quake 1.5!!!
      Definitive HD Quake

Comment

Axe looks good, very nice textures. Shotgun looks shit, very cartoony. Nailgun looks sweet - I can imagine that bolted on bar at the top moving back and forth. Grenade Launcher is average at best. Rocket Launcher looks wrong, too wrong. Super Shotgun looks really good. Perforator looks good, I can imagine it will have a nice animation. Lightning Gun looks nothing like the original, but it looks superb so that doesn't matter. I can imagine it would look good if you have the big cell on the right actually eject out of the gun when you get to 0 cells.

I can do some coding for you, as long as it doesn't take up too much time. I suspect that you only want little changes anyway, right?

Comment

That would be great, yeah it's just stuff like ejecting brass/shotgun shells and pushing enemies back a bit, maybe having their pain frames play every time they get hurt (not sure about that one), things like that. I'd like to get 1 or 2 death anims for blowing enemies in half but idk how doable that is.

I'm going to be redoing the shotty texture once i have some time, but what is it that you find wrong about the RL if you don't mind me asking? It's the one i struggled with ideas for the most and asking people they seemed to want the Q2-style loading, and "wrong" and "shit" doesn't give me much to go on

Do you have a steam or skype i can add you on?
          Last edited by Bloodshot; 08-17-2015, 03:48 PM.

Comment

new shotgun tex

Comment

Now DAT is a shotgun! Nice work!

Comment

Yeah all that's doable and quite easy. More death frames is much more work on the modeller than on the coder.

Regarding the RL. I think it's because the Quake RL is just so damn iconic. It's clearly phallic, and I honestly think it's what makes Quake so alluring. Bare with me whilst I clarify what seems to sound v.gay. From my understanding of psychoanalysis, Quake appears to be a game about male empowerment - that's why the rocket launcher was favoured by the designers (Mostly Romero), when they made it more powerful than the other weapons. You go around and fire out of your RL at other players in a gladiator arena. It's very empowering and liberating. Any design which strays too far from it, tends to be dismissed. Why do you think they kept the same design in Quake 3/Live? It's even available in other games such as Team Fortress. It would be better just to go with an entirely different design imho. I also don't like the texture. It's white! It needs to be darker/metal. But it's your project. You should do it how you wish. Perhaps the grenade launcher from Quake 4 would be a good base:

Although it's a grenade launcher, if you fattened out the barrel, it would make a nice RL.

You can add me on steam, but I've actually never used the chat. Albeit, I'm regularly on steam. I've pm'd you my username.

Comment

Constructive feedback

Okay all the models look fine and dandy, so here is "2 stars and a wish"
                  * The models all look very detailed and well textured.
                  * Actually will work well with quake 1's atmosphere.

*Wish*
                  The shotgun looks famillier, where have I seen it before...

img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110620090018/halo/images/9/97/Shotgun-render.png

Look I think the shotgun is too Halo-ish and could do with some work, otherwise you doing a great job keep it up.

Comment

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CJy9_RNiqg[/ame]

Spent a little bit figuring out QME and made my first animations, these currently are skins so they use 7 frames, I'm thinking of making two versions, a skin pack and a mod directory which might have slower ROF weapons with more power and more elaborate anims.

Comment

Looks very good so far!!

Comment

They look really good actually. I like the double-barrel a lot, both texture and design. I like the white overbrights on the shotgun too - you tend not to see that often. I'm guessing the nailgun isn't finished yet? I like the music too.

Elaborate anims will need QC changes, as replacing a model means that you need to match the frames of the new animation to the code. Just tell me what you need and I'll get on it.

Comment

Been a little busy this week, but recorded footage of the new axe and RL anims

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h70zQkdhph4[/ame]

Comment

It's looking very promising. Keep up the good work!
                            Kind regards
                            Monty
                            Mr.Burns
                            "Helping to keep this community friendly, helpful, and clean of spammers since 2006"
                            WWW: Quake Terminus , QuakeVoid You Tube: QuakeVoid
                            Servers: Quake.shmack.net, damage.servequake.com

News: JCR's excellent ctsj_jcr map is being ported to OOT

Comment

1) MDL format sucks. yay! 8bit!... pah
                              2) QME sucks. IQM export directly from blender is probably a better choice (may require .framegroups files).
                              3) deathmatch players would rather turn off viewmodels than have their vision almost totally obscured like that. the axe might be thin, but the axe head is in a VERY bad place. RL is still annoying too.
                              4) the weapon is strongly on the right (and points towards the left), yet projectiles clearly come from the center, making it feel disjointed.
                              5) axe needs more swing animations.
                              6) idle animations? (yay framegroups)
                              7) unintended overbrights are a plague caused by buggy tools.
                              Some Game Thing

Comment

Working...
                              X