No announcement yet.

Yet another HD ogre.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Really appreciate all this support. You guys are fantastic.

I'm taking into consideration your feedback.

In terms of the eyes, one of my friends had the idea of making the eyes more pig like. I kind of agree. And I agree with some of the feedback here. I think the biggest thing for me is that iris of the eyes are indeed too human like. Like they need to be larger with just a hint of white.

Once i do all the symmetrical stuff, I'll do a sores/scares/etc pass on another layer.

Here's where i last got up to after I painted over his body. I'm no zbrush master, so man-made/hard surface stuff in zbrush feels a bit weird. It's taking me a bit longer. It's taken a whole 7.5 hours to get the clothes you see thus far XD Usually i work just in modo, but I want clients to hire me for my sculpting ability as well.

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by MadGypsy View Post
      it's beautiful work. Unfortunately, even QRP isn't going to support this model. It will seem like 2 completely different things smacked together. I hope I'm wrong but, your ogre seems faaaaaar too clean for any kind of Q1.

It might work if you severely drop the polies. There isn't a whole lot of "actually smooth" in Q1.
      He's got a good point. I haven't done any model creation for Q1, but I have done some for Q2, so I assume the quirks and limitations with Q2 models would be similar in Q1 if not more severe. The models have a max number of polygons, and the animation is vertex based. The game and models vertices basically run on a grid where vertice points can only be placed in certain places. If you plot or animate anything that does not fall on one of those grid points, the conversion process will shift any nonconforming points to the nearest one. The result can be gaps between polygons, ugly unintended distortions, and in the case of animations, models will ripple and distort from frame to frame making them look like they're made of jello.

You have to approach modelling like in Q1 and Q2 by saying, "How can I do this with the least number of polygons?", and then rely on clever texture painting to create the illusion of more contours.
      Last edited by Focalor; 01-20-2017, 01:39 AM.

Comment

that ogre is looking really nice. very interesting interpretation of quake's ogre.
        feels almost a bit D&D troll-like, in a good way. quake was always obviously also inspired by D&D so your ogre would fit into that look

regarding model-formats:

you could just use md3 instead of the shitty mdl format,
        which has muuuuch higher limits and supports exporting multiple models into one md3
        so that your model could use multiple textures instead of having to map the entire ogre + clothing to a single UV

or you could go all the way and just use IQM, which has even higher limits and even supports skeletal animation
        Inter-Quake Model (IQM) Format

or an alternative to iqm is PSK, which FrederikH also used for his shambler.
        https://wiki.beyondunreal.com/PSK_%26_PSA_file_formats
        PSK also similarly supports skeletal animation
        Last edited by talisa; 01-20-2017, 04:50 AM.
        are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
        > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
        everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

My comment had nothing to do with formats. My comment regarded the fact that this ogre looks more amazing than the texture/geometry of the worlds and blows away the model retextures. There is little or nothing comparable to this ogre in Q1.

I opine this model is like using a Quake Champions model in a Q1 map. It's going to look silly. This guy's skills are way too high for Q1 modelling.
          http://www.nextgenquake.com

Comment

agreed, it is a bit to detailed and smooth-looking which might make it stand out to much compared to the rest of available high-poly monsters and models

i think currently the most 'HD' model we have would probably be teamonster's ogre

so it might be a good idea to lower the detail a bit on the model to match the amount of detail of that model, and make the textures do most of the work for details instead.

otherwise (like gypsy said) your model might stand out to much in terms of detail and smoothness compared to the other available models in quake
            are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
            everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

I'll respectfully disagree about it "not fitting". Yes, it IS different and very highly detailed and ,yes, it will stand out, but shouldn't we agree to support those that make efforts on our behalf?

Comment

of course.... but its not good if the model just looks waaaaaaay to detailed compared to the rest and the model will stand out like a sore, and instead of being a nice matching addition the model will instead end up standing out like an sore thumb.

some effort should be made to at least prevent it from standing out to absurdly much from the rest of available assets.

compare it to if you put a revenant from doom2016 into doom with gzdoom engine....
                it would stand out like a sore thumb because it looks waaaaaay to realistic and detailed compared to the low-res textures and sprites,
                and every time you see it you will cringe cuz of how horribly it stands out

but if you would go through the effort of making some good low-res sprites of the same model which use the doom palette,
                the monster fits in among the rest of the game in terms of detail and overall look and seeing it wont break the immersion
                as it wont make you go 'what the?!' every time you see it cuz it stands out so much, and instead it fits in but the design will still be very unique

to add to what i said.... a picture with the doom2016 revenant added into a screenshot of doom2

the left revant just stands out like a sore thumb, while the right one matches the overall look of the game and fits in

Comment

That is a much bigger gap in quality. Q1 already has a bunch of HD textures/monsters that really aren't that different from the ogre in this thread.

And it has been stated, the finished product will probably want to be a lower poly model. When they're finished with it, they may optimize the model and release a lower poly version of it.

Comment

Agree enderandrew. Low poly I understand Talisa, I'm saying it can be stated in a more positive manner or we can lose.

Comment

of course, but im just showing an example of why its better to at least make assets match the quality of other models available currently.

if a model or texture stands out to much it can severely break the immersion of a game.

and aye, the final version should be less polys and simon could bake some nice textures and normals
                      to bring some of the details back while still having the model fit in with the rest of available models & textures

Comment

All good guys. I'm glad we have so many very talented people who contribute to a game we all love!

Comment

Thanks everyone for showing so much interest. A special thanks to gdiddy62 for the support. Really appreciate that

To be honest, my primary focus is to have fun while learning some techniques. The 2nd most important thing for me is that people will see this on my site and think to hire me for more stuff like that. So I really just want to make this look like the kind of characters I'd like to make on a professional level.

The prospect of having it game ready as a quake add on is more or less a bonus side effect of those primary goals. I may not even really want to go to the hassle of rigging/animating it. But If i did, I'd just make it available for download. Maybe I'd rig it in blender and just leave it to whoever wants to convert it, since blender is free.

I made a skeleton for The Dark Mod (doom 3) once and all i did was hand them a model with some textures. (specular normal, colour). In that instance I wanted to learn skeletal anatomy

So yeah, in terms of it fitting in with which ever mod cherry picks it, I can't really guarantee anything. But at very least, maybe it will make someone nostalgic and re-install quake when they see it

Maybe I'll add a creative commons license that allows you to use and modify it for non profit use. I guess then, people could change it to their liking when I'm done.

I'm not 100% sure what people mean by 'Smooth' But if you're talking about the topology (geometric surface) I'm going for something between doom 3 and the new doom in terms of detail. Right now I'm working with the hi resolution model. When I get it game ready, it'll only me like 10,000-15,000 tris or something. If you're talking about it lacking the gritty feel of quake (blood/wounds/dirt etc) That'll come when I've blocked everything out.
                          Last edited by simonheggie.com; 01-22-2017, 12:21 AM.

Comment

Another quick update:

The next step is to finish the body/face, then maybe go back and polish off the clothes some more.

I'm not sure whether to colour this in zbrush or in substance designer when I get it lower poly.. Either way, I like the idea of getting a CG quality shot in zbrush first. So most likely I'll do that in zbrush. I can always bake the colours down to the low poly mesh.
                            Attached Files

Comment

It's really coming along nicely!

Comment

aye, you can always use the high-poly model to bake textures and normals for use on the low-poly model,
                                so that your low-poly will appear to have more detail then it actually has

thats also what big developers do. they first make a super-high-detail model,
                                then cut it down to make a lower-detailed version of the same model which shares the same UVs
                                then you use the high-poly to bake diffuse, specular and normals for that model.

then you use those baked normals, specular and diffuse textures on the lower-poly version,
                                to make it appear to have the same details as the original high-poly model

Comment

Working...
                                X