No announcement yet.

Arcane Dimensions -HD overhaul-

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is a really nice and huge work! The links for these files are currently broken:
    AD_DM1
    AD_SCASTLE
    AD_Player Skins
    Last edited by PowerFulBR; 10-01-2017, 05:26 PM.

Comment

• blood vengeance,

if you're going to move downloads to another file-host thats fine

but please make sure to FIRST upload your files to the new file-host &
      provide the new links BEFORE deleting the files from the old file-host.

that way the files will be continueously available & we wont get people complaining about broken links
      are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
      > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
      everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

• Originally posted by PowerFulBR View Post
        This is a really nice and huge work! The links for these files are currently broken:
        AD_DM1
        AD_SCASTLE
        AD_Player Skins
        I agree. The Dropbox links to AD_Player Skins.pk3, ad_dm1_HD_V1.0 .zip, AD_Scastle_HD_Textures_v1.0.pk3, and AD_Sepulcher_HD_Textures_v1.0.pk3 all give me "Link not found" messages. I've never found Dropbox to be a reliable form of file hosting. If someone could post active links to those files, I'd appreciate it.

Comment

• here's a mirror on my google drive so that those files are still available
          untill blood vengeance gets around to creating new mirror for the files himself

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4...1lESEo3MEVOQjg
          are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
          everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

• Of course your textures are awesome and beautiful but, for some reason I think AD looks better with the low res textures. I can't put my finger on why. Looking at your screenshots I was struck with a feeling of them just not being right (only some of them). Maybe the lighting does not compliment highdef images or something, I don't know. Just my opinion...probably one that is not shared by many (anyone). Excellent work none-the-less. It should be obvious to the most casual observer that you have worked very hard on your graphic art skills.

An example of what I mean is this image. I don't know what but something seems very off about it, to me. Maybe it's because the monsters are so low def it's throwing the rest off. Or maybe it's just too clean, everything sort of looks brand new. Yup, I think that's what it is...too pristine. The low def images make it seem more "used" and that lends heavily to the atmosphere. Maybe that could be the next level of your graphic art development...making high-def images that somehow maintain the feel that the lowdef images give. I have zero suggestions on how to do this or even where to begin. Maybe you could make highdef lowdef images, where instead of trying to create more realism you only really remove the blockiness of the lowdef textures.

Last edited by MadGypsy; 11-04-2017, 09:02 AM.
            http://www.nextgenquake.com

Comment

• hmmm yeah i agree with you gypsy, some of my textures do look quite clean-ish and
              i do try my best to avoid that and to make my textures look more 'dirty' like the originals

but its kinda difficult and a lot of work to make textures look used and dirty,
              and i dont really have much experience yet in how to do so

and yeah, the whole picture would definitely look better with RT-lights added for rich colorfull lighting.
              the original quake lighting is kinda dull and lacks any color. some vibrant colored realistic lighting would add a lot

Comment

• Just please know that I think you are super talented and produce some really beautiful work. My little opinion was just a friendly critique. I have a pretty good eye but, I couldn't make textures as nice as yours even if all I did was try.
                http://www.nextgenquake.com

Comment

• oh no no, no worries. i didnt took any kinda offense to your critique whatsoever and i know that you always mean well and i appreciate your constructive criticism
                  and do see what you mean and do totally agree... i wish i were able to make textures that looked more dirty and old, its pretty difficult to give textures that kind look.

and thanx once more. i always try my best and try to constantly improve my work and use new techniques i pick up as i experiment more and more with the tools from paintshop

Comment

• talisa

I'm no expert at high-def textures, so maybe the following method won't work, but I've found that once you have your texture finished in a clean, neat appearance, you can take a sharp brush in your image editor and drag some very faint scratches across the texture. Try not to make them too long or unique, or else a consistent pattern will emerge on large BSP brushes.

Next, you can take a 'roughing' brush so to speak in your image editor and apply very faint and highly randomized splotches of dirt. Muddy up the texture. Maybe this could be rust on metallic textures. Again, this has to be sparingly and in a way that it's not obvious.

Finally, a very soft touch blending across all layers to smooth out the edges of the dirt and scratches, which 'ages' everything.

Just an idea, it works well with Quake palette stuff but like I said I'm no expert with high def stuff. Either way, these textures look amazing. I REALLY like your textures in Zendar.
                    'Replacement Player Models' Project

Comment

• ***I had to break this post up into many sub posts because this server for some reason limits you to 3 measly pictures in your post***

First off, I am using the fte engine, which out of all the available engines I have found this one to be the most modern, comprehensive and up to date solution:
                      http://fte.triptohell.info/index.php?p=downloads

This engine allows for downloading and installation of all the best known packages from within the ui. also, the option exists to install an in game map editor.
                      Before finding this engine I was convinced the epsilon build was the absolute best out of the box solution for a pristine HD quake, as the textures are the crispest, the effects are
                      wonderful, and everything just works. I still regard it as such, however Iran into issues when trying to run map jam9, ad, etc. and so I needed an engine that will allow me to do my own build
                      but work properly with anything I throw at it.
                      I found fitzquake, quakespasm, vkquake, and the like to be limited in menu options, lacking support for the enhanced graphics features I throw at them, and consequently inferior in comparison to fte.

I currently have these packages installed in the engine:
                      packages.jpg
                      and these packages installed in id1:
                      packages2.jpg
                      and my ad folder:
                      packages3.jpg

*I did a big long write up containing many images but due to the apparent and somewhat annoying limitations of this server, I will now have to break up the post and spend more time on it*
                      Last edited by z1n; 12-07-2017, 01:06 PM.

Comment

• I will just be using azad for an example. I haven't bothered to dig deeper into the other maps because upon entry they all look good now.
                        as you can see the textures look perfect:
                        image_2809.png

I have tried deleting the mdl files of all the health boxes, however the models disappear entirely instead of defaulting to the
                        ones from the packs i've installed, as can be seen here:
                        vlcsnap-2017-12-07-14h28m54s380.png

the pictures here should be fullsize, like i clicked when i added them. this backwards ass server seems to have fullsize and thumbnail mixed up. i have tried and tried to fix it to no avail.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by z1n; 12-07-2017, 01:35 PM.

Comment

• I'm at a loss here, and have been racking my brain for days trying to fix this. In page 1 of this thread, this is mentioned, but it basically stopped there,
                          and I have yet to find much info at all anywhere else. I'm not sure why this isn't covered in great detail like all other aspects of going hd with ad are here,
                          as hd health and ammo boxes are an extremely important aspect of completing a hd conversion.

I desperately need help with the hd animated ammo boxes and health packs, and it would also be nice to get rid of these strange particle animations shown below, where you get squares and other odd shapes in the effects, with the same sort of thing plaguing the gibs and monster fire. they don't look good and I want them gone.
                          here's the "problem particles" in the teleporters, as you can see the squares and such present in the teleporter effects:
                          vlcsnap-2017-12-07-14h25m48s912.png
                          and the issue with the enemy fire, and gibs.. again the squares and other bits:
                          vlcsnap-2017-12-07-14h27m19s649.png

Comment

• however as can be seen here the fires look great, and don't have that funny looking triangle thing going on however still have those annoying squares in the effects
                            that I can't seem to get rid of:
                            vlcsnap-2017-12-07-14h51m14s477.png

and while some enemies look great and the hd addons are obviously working (or they are defaulting to beastiary pack) as shown here:
                            vlcsnap-2017-12-07-14h29m58s534.pngvlcsnap-2017-12-07-14h27m49s495.png
                            Attached Files

Comment

• others are still stuck at low res, as shown here:
                              vlcsnap-2017-12-07-14h30m18s691.pngvlcsnap-2017-12-07-14h29m31s701.png

Again I haven't bothered to go deeper into the maps because I'm going by the logic that if the problems exist at the start they will obviously exist everywhere else in the maps.

The only thing holding me back now is the problem with the health and ammo boxes not being hd and animated, and some monsters not conforming to the bestiary pack, and the ugly gibs and effects issue which i've never seen present in other mods.

I do find it quite baffling and a bit infuriating that such an awesome mapper who makes some of the absolute best maps I've ever seen would insist, this day & age,
                              on building the mod using low res hard to look at textures when all the hd options are out there, especially since it unarguably makes the game look a lot better, and brings us
                              into the now, instead of being mired in the limitations of yesteryear. I can understand some people's enthusiasm for grainy, low res "old game" appeal however it would have made a lot more sense to simply just make that an option instead of spending countless hours trying to make it proper. No offense to the mapper but it really doesn't make sense to me that if you're going to spend the time to build something and use textures to use low res ones instead of simply just using the hd ones, but I don't map, so perhaps I'm missing some technical limitations,
                              which again I don't understand since you can edit the hd stuff in afterwards it would make me think that was possible from the original building phase.

But of course it is my full intention to release an out-of-the-box hd mod of arcane dimensions based on what's available here and the fte engine after I get everything sorted out, where you simply run the game and everything automatically just works perfectly like the epsilon build, to save everyone else precious time who would like to enjoy arcane dimensions in a much more pleasing to the eye format.

Any help here with fixing the health and ammo pickups to run the standard modern animated hd versions and to get rid of the strange particle issues with the effects and use the ones from the epsilon build or whatever epsilon is using would be greatly appreciated. that's basically the last thing holding me back that I can find.
                              Attached Files

Comment

• ok guys, sorry again this stupid server uploaded my images to a small format. why would anyone ever want that X.x
                                i will try to fix it, doesn't make sense at all, they should be large pictures that you simply click on to view. I even told it fullsize!!!
                                talk about infuriating. already irritated enough dealing with the aforementioned in ad, now i ahve this server fucking up my pics so you guys can't even see what the hell i'm talking about.
                                Last edited by z1n; 12-07-2017, 01:48 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X