Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello together.

@ Seven / Spike:
    I'm never be afraid of a WoT :-) Thanks for the link to the DP documentation of the particle system! I already looked at both - from what i can see so far - the fte is a little bit more advanced in my opinion.
    I will definetly use a particle system, but which one i don't know at this time, though from my first looks i tend to FTE. Currently the task at hand is the work on bloodier death animation variations for the monsters (currently 3 of 13 are done) and some monster behaviour ideas (like a grunt, running around with only one arm).
    I also found spikes Documentation for his fte particle system (https://sourceforge.net/p/fteqw/code.../particles.txt) and watched some videos on youtube, showcasing different particle effects made for FTE. Hell, i really like it!

I really appreciate the help and encouragement :-)
    This is a nice community!
    I once was a Ranger like you. But then i took a rocket to the knee.
    My little gore mod : http://quakeone.com/forum/quake-mod-...76473-gore-mod

Comment

very nice, promising, always wanted to do this but didnt have the know-how
      played on linux so i had to rename 2 mdl files, since linux is case sensitive
      v_rail.mdl and gibextranull.mdl

questions
      is there a way to change color of blood (i play on darkplaces and want to make it lighter)?
      after a while, the bodyparts/blood disappear, is it right, or it is a settings somewhere in darkplaces ?

couple of suggestions if i may:
      destroyable (dead) bodies , i think i saw some tutorial somewhere
      a little more blood
      a more potent gun, to gib bigger enemies

this is kind of a brutal doom but for quake
      been waiting for long time for something like this

Comment

Hello zpimp☺ Glad you like it. I already Used krytens Tutorial for gibbable corpses for the next Update. To recolor the blood you Just have to Edit the SpawnBlood function in the weapons.qc File and recompile the Code. The Numbers after vel*0.2 should Determine the blood color. Goddam, writing english with a German autocorrecting Handy ist a pain!

Brutal Doom was in Developement for 5 years, i don't Plan for going on with thus Mod for so Long :-)

More blood will Come AS soom AS i learned to use a particle system. Things in the next Version will Go already much more Red and gorier. It is a lot of Work but my Motivation ist high ,

The bodyparts are coded to disappear after a time, though in quakespasm they don't. No clue why.

I also Lack the knowledge to make this Mod but that doesnt keep me from Doing it :-D. I Just learn the Things i Need to know on the Run.

Have a Nice day,
        Tkj.

Edit: tbh i'm surprised that no Mod of this Kind exists for q1.
        Last edited by TheKillingJoke; 09-06-2017, 04:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TheKillingJoke View Post
          tbh i'm surprised that no Mod of this Kind exists for q1.
          Maybe because vanilla Quake is already more violent than Doom? Seven's SMC kinda is a Brütal Quake, in a way, at least regarding the gore options.
          ♪ I'm skiiiiiiinnin' in the pain, just skiiiiiiinnin' in the pain ♪
          ♪ What a glorious feelin' I'm haaaaaaappy again ♪

Comment

Maybe because vanilla Quake is already more violent than Doom?
            Yeah, that's probably be the reason. But uhmm... it was not enough for me

Seven's SMC kinda is a Brütal Quake, in a way, at least regarding the gore options.
            Yeeeeeeeeeees and i like the smc a lot! (Sorry about my drooling) :-)

Edit: And here i've got a new video with things for v.03. I suggest to watch it in 720p.:
            Last edited by TheKillingJoke; 09-06-2017, 12:40 PM.

Comment

needs solid_corpse [qc extension], unless your intention really was to be able to stack up piles of bodies that you can then climb up to exploit maps.
              and yeah, needs blood decals(read: particles). possibly also stainmap stuff so that you can paint the town red.

also needs the original ogre head instead of that one...
              Some Game Thing

Comment

Thanks, good point with the SOLID_CORPSE extension. I had to make projectile attacks for the shotguns to make them able to gib the corpses. Not sure what i can do with the Lightning gun, but i will figure it out :-)
                Before i start to dive into the particle/stainmap stuff i want to finish the models and death functions first. Can take a while. Just added screen jittering when the player is near an exploding corpse. A funny and subtle effect. Still on the search for some nice royalty free frag sounds. No luck so far. Guess i have to buy some vegetables and fruits soon, to make my own.

Comment

Hello TheKillingJoke,

Some questions/remarks:
                  - Why do you still use Darkplaces when you said you want to use FTE ? You also said that your qc does not work in all engines (Quakespasm does something different if I remember correctly). Did you decide for which engine you develop your mod already ? It will be harder and harder every day you are waiting to switch later on. I wrote about it in my previous post. When developing your blood effects there will be no way back. Just to keep/save you from unwanted suprises...
                  - You can do gibbable corpses in several ways. There are many open source mods that does it already. Remember, using engine extensions limits you to certain engines !
                  - Your particle textures do look out of place / wrong. How did you manage it that they do not leave decals ? Original behaviour is different. That looks weird. Did you edit effectinfo.txt ?
                  You should consider to use a different particlefont.tga if you want to spawn your blood via qc. Curently it uses wrong textures.
                  - I spoke about the issue of sprites as blood in my posts before. Now you see the result in your video.
                  - There are hundreds of free squash/squish/splat/... sounds. Use Google, like: "splat sound free" and you will most probably find what you are looking for.
                  - If you really need entities to activate gibbable corpses: You know they can travel at a really high speed (almost instant), no ? That is what you need for your instant weapons.
                  - You are using the same code for gibs as for head gibs. That is wrong. They do not spin around their center as they are positioned differently. Vanilla Quake spins them different. That is why.
                  If you still want them to spin like regular gibs, you should edit all of your head models so that the coordinate center is in their center. You will have to live with them sticking into floors and walls though.
                  It is your choice.
                  - I also saw gibs sticking in walls and flotaing in air in your other video. That is because of the fact that you are using the complete bbox to spawn them. When doing this near walls it may end up into spinning & floating gibs in mid air. Keep a save distance towards your bbox size limits (and keep your gib size in mind) and it will not happen again.
                  - Also change blood spawning with your lighting gun. It might spawn too much compared to other weapons. Due to vanilla qc frequence.

Keep up the good work !

Best wishes,
                  Seven.

Comment

Originally posted by Seven View Post
                    Keep a save distance towards your bbox size limits
                    Are you saying that you need to keep a space between items and world geometry? I think said space is 8 or 16 units.

Comment

For gibs, make them SOLID_TRIGGER with a size of '0 0 0', '0 0 0'. In the models, make 2 frames: 1 where the gib is centered on origin, and another where it's laying on top of origin (imagine the x-y plane as the floor). In the touch function, set the gib frame to 1. They will spawn at 0 (your centered frame).

Note that if the gib is still airborne after touching a wall or what not, it will spin off-axis, but if you adjust velocities and avelocities just right, with a lot of blood, this isn't really too noticeable.

This way, all gibs will appear to rest flat on the floor, and you will have no collision issues.
                      'Replacement Player Models' Project

Comment

Hello all together :-)

Seven
                        - Why do you still use Darkplaces when you said you want to use FTE ?
                        I'm still not at the point to decide which engine i use or if i undertake the crazy venture of making a mod for as many as possible. I'm still only working on the models and code, which still leaves a lot to wish for, until i have what i want. There will come a time when i have to make a decision. But for now i remain absolutely undecided between fte and dp.

- You can do gibbable corpses in several ways. There are many open source mods that does it already. Remember, using engine extensions limits you to certain engines !
                        Yes, there may be many ways but krytens way works fine overall. I think i wil stick to that, if i find no better solution.

- Your particle textures do look out of place / wrong. How did you manage it that they do not leave decals ?
                        Uhm... that's just the low video resolution and some engine dots/squares. I'm not using any particle effects for now.

- There are hundreds of free squash/squish/splat/... sounds. Use Google, like: "splat sound free" and you will most probably find what you are looking for.
                        And meanwhile i finally found some nice ones :-D. Thanks for that! There are also a few nice royalty free ones on youtube.

- If you really need entities to activate gibbable corpses: You know they can travel at a really high speed (almost instant), no ? That is what you need for your instant weapons.
                        Thanks for the suggestion, i added an invisible nearly ftl-speed object, that can gib the corpses.

- You are using the same code for gibs as for head gibs.
                        Hm.. i think you saw an upper torso that i didn't changed yet. I experienced the same problem when playtesting in the testmap. The h_monstername models are all thrown by the unedited throwhead function as in standard quake. Probably you refer to the shambler? Can you tell at which time you saw that behaviour on the video?

- I also saw gibs sticking in walls and flotaing in air in your other video. That is because of the fact that you are using the complete bbox to spawn them. When doing this near walls it may end up into spinning & floating gibs in mid air. Keep a save distance towards your bbox size limits (and keep your gib size in mind) and it will not happen again.
                        Aye, thanks! That was an annoying thing! I spawned the gibs in a box of 32x32x32 at the monster origin, so no wonder they got stuck in the walls sometime. i reduced that to 8x8x8. I will see of that helps. Also, the gibs are SOLID_NOT and and have a size of 0. I thought that the low size helped together with the SOLID_NOT thingy. back to the drawing board!

Mugwump
                        Are you saying that you need to keep a space between items and world geometry? I think said space is 8 or 16 units.
                        Uhh... thanks for that!

Dutch
                        Noted! I will add this later and look at the effects of it. Hm... could i use the FL_ONGROUND flag to tell the gib when it should play the second frame? Or is touching a wall already positive FL_ONGROUND?

Yesterday evening i made a slide function, which pushes a hit monster away. Tons of fun in that :-) Now i only have to let the player slide only in vertical directions, not into the air, which happens of the player slides while looking upwards.

Comment

Originally posted by TheKillingJoke View Post
                          Uhh... thanks for that!
                          Yeah, if you place entities too close to a wall in a map you have a risk of items falling out of it, monsters sticking into walls and such. Maybe it could be a cause of gib glitches.
                          Last edited by Mugwump; 09-08-2017, 05:35 AM.

Comment

v.03 is up :-) Have a nice weekend, guys.

Comment

Hello Dutch,

Thats not correct.
                              If you spin the (head) gib around all 3 axis, like the regular gibs, it is not enough to make an additional frame in the (original/ flat position).
                              It will not help the fact that it will sink into the floor. It can even be completely inside the floor and thereby invisible then.
                              Because it has .avelocity_x and .avelocity_z and therefore the models .angle_x and .angle_z will be random too.
                              Changing a models frame does not reset or change its angles. It will keep the values it has when touching something.
                              If it was flipped upside down and you switch to frame 1 it will sink into floor completely and is invisible.

To fix it you would need to set both angles back to “0” as well as change its frame once it touches something.
                              And that aprupt transformation would look weird, and it will not change afterwards (at each next touches) as well. So why bother in the beginning ?
                              So, leaving the head gib spin behavior as it is in vanilla Quake is the best option. Regular gibs will partly sink into floor but that is OK because they are made/positioned with this in mind.

Hello TheKillingJoke,

- If you really want to spin big gibs (like head gib or custom torso) around all 3 axis, and lay them flat/correctly on the floor in the end, you can look how it was done inside the SMC.
                              Look into the custom zombie code with the beheading of zombies. I use a rolling_animation that rolls the beheaded zombie head a little over the floor.
                              It has a step by step transformation that resets the head correctly in the end.
                              You should also take a closer look into the “zombieheadcut” particle effectnum. As it is exactly what you want for your monster death animation:
                              A blood fountain in upwards direction, that spreads in all directions. Then falls back down and leaves blood decals everywhere.
                              You will also find many other custom blood effects in the SMC.

- Why do you think that krytens gibbable corpses code works fine ? Look at the Death Knight in your clip who got blocked by the corpse on the floor (at 4:00 mins). That is a serious bug. You should either fix it or use another approach. Corpses should not block other monsters or the player.

- It is not the low resolution of your clip. Your blood particles do not leave blood decals, and they are using wrong textures. That is what Spike also mentioned.
                              And of course you are using particle effects. Don’t you see the funny red snowflake looking particle textures when shooting enemies ? That is your particle blood effect. You changed the qc so that it is broken now. You must try to understand the difference between a particle effect and a sprite effect. All Quake engines support both. DP and FTE derivates support custom textures for particles.
                              DP uses a default texture row in particlefont.tga when the particle function is called with the blood value, like in vanilla´s SpawnBlood() function. When you change it, you change the default behavior and will thereby lose decals and the other blood properties (like movement, size, texture, color, velocity, etc.)
                              You can change the overall look/style of particles via options menu in both engines and can customize them completely via their particle syntax. You remember the link I gave you ?

- If you want to make the monsters pushable or use advanced physics in your mod. There is nothing better than using GYRO. It is engine independent and a masterpiece by Matthew Lawrence with almost unlimited possibilities. Very easy to use while having extremely powerful feature list at the same time. You should defenitely take a look at it when you think about pushing/shooting monsters around.

- You can spawn entities as close to a wall as you wish. Just be sure that its bbox is not leaking into it. 32 x 32 is much bigger than a monsters bbox, so they will stuck in walls for sure when the monster stands next to it. Be aware that bboxes will not spin together with your models .angles. Keep that in mind.

Congratulations to v0.3 !

Kind regards,
                              Seven

Comment

Seven

Yeah, I forgot to mention that he will need to lock the x and z angles to 0. I never thought it looked too jittery. I always thought it looked way better than gibs sinking in the floor. As for the gibbed head behavior, I assumed he would alter that in some way in the ThrowHead() function, because it looks awful only spinning in the y axis as it is in vanilla quake.

@TheKillingJoke

There are only 3 reliable bounding box sizes for moving objects that collide with the BSP hull: the players size (which most monsters use as well), the shambler size, and zero size, which I already mentioned. Any other size will display odd behavior because of the way the engine handles collision. I don't remember the exact numbers, but you can find them defined in defs.QC.
                                'Replacement Player Models' Project

Comment

Working...
                                X