Random WIP / Sneak Peek

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Random WIP / Sneak Peek

A quick look at a current work-in-progress, codenamed Quake: AftershoQs. Some of you may remember (several years ago) an old WIP of mine under the same name. Well, this is a lot different, but the name stuck because I think it's catchy.

It's worth noting that this mod WILL be faithful. QuakeSpasm is the test engine, but I expect to be able to run on ProQuake and other simpler engines. This is to limit myself...start adding too many verts and pixels and I'll stray away from the Quake formula. So it goes without saying that all models will use the Q1 palette and be under 1024 vertices.

The following will be screenshots of weapons I'm working on, taken in Blender, so pardon the GL texture blending.

First up is the Incinerator, a deadly flame-thrower that spews napalm all over your hapless victims:

Here we have a re-envisioned version of the Thunderbolt, a lightning-spewing son of a bitch that turns your target into charred mush:

Next up is the magazine-fed bullpup reincarnation of the classic Grenade Launcher, or Ole' Thumpy as I like to call him. What could be more fun than lobbing highly-explosive bouncy grenades all over the place? Doing it in tacticool style.

Back by popular demand. A revamped but still very faithful Rocket Launcher. Features ergonomic grips, a healthy recoil padding, and an easily accessible chamber port. Gib your enemies in comfort and ease.

Stay tuned, more on the way.
    Last edited by Dutch; 11-11-2017, 08:15 AM.
    'Replacement Player Models' Project

<Removed, will update in the future>
    Last edited by Dutch; 11-09-2017, 02:51 AM.

Comment

Looks gorgeous! Can't see the second weapon (pics appears as "broken image link" button, like on an old site, which leads to dead spaces) but the flamethrower is nice! Bulky and gunlike, rusted and dirty. And this mod that you are working on... no chance to tickle more about it out of you, eh?
      I once was a Ranger like you. But then i took a rocket to the knee.
      My little gore mod : http://quakeone.com/forum/quake-mod-...76473-gore-mod

Comment

Thanks!

@broken image link

huh, that's weird. Shows up on my computer fine...I'll re-upload the pics tomorrow. Probably has something to do with the way I copy/pasted it in from the original post...apparently you can only upload 3 attachments max.

@more info

Well...yeah I might throw a few more pics up haha. The mod is in sort of disarray right now. Mainly in the form of code. I'm in the process of redoing the entire vanilla source and trimming it down as far as I can without changing gameplay. This accomplishes 2 things: 1) I'll know exactly where everything is and how everything is connected, and 2) It will be ridiculously organized, which makes modifying it that much easier. Point being is, I have a lot of the extra gore and weapon behavior coded, but scattered across several different old WIPs, so I'll need to take it one step at a time to inject it all into one progs.

Comment

Well, the flamethrower is pretty sexy. Staying true to the Quake style, maybe closer to Q2 than Q1. Keep it up! Looking forward to seeing more!
          Soundtracks and Instrumentals
          MyMusic | Youtube

Comment

PRIMEVAL Thanks! I didn't go into it with the mindset of Q2, but when I was getting near the end of modeling I had the exact same impression lol. Probably the texture. This is using the Q1 palette but I don't think id software used this color scheme very often.

I updated the first post with a better picture of the Incinerator and added the new Thunderbolt,along with a few more details of the mod. More to follow.
            Last edited by Dutch; 11-09-2017, 03:39 AM.

Comment

Hell, i love that Thunderbolt! Definitely a faithful improvement! I like the spikes on the front, where the discharging electricity won't allow the metal to rust and the yellow/black stripes. i wonder what AftershoQs will be, i wasn't around when you had your WIP. Maybe i can dig it up in the deeps of the forum. So far a great job!

Comment

New update! Added the Grenade Launcher. See the original (top) post for the picture.

TheKillingJoke Thanks! If you happen to find anything on the old AQ WIP, it won't be much. I made some weapons but didn't get far. I feel they didn't have the polish or code functionality this current batch has. Unfortunately, the pics and videos I posted no longer exist, they will be broken links. Regarding this current mod, if all goes well, it will be rich in new content much like AD, but not quite as big. I'm no mapper like Sock and his crew. But expect to see new monsters and weapons, and a badass DM mode with bots. Outside of DM, it will revolve around sci-fi horror. I intend to make this scary as HELL. Imagine Quake meets Dead Space. There will be some optional gameplay modifiers. I want players to be able to maintain the classic Quake formula, but there will be server options to include reloading, shell ejections from weapons, projectile impact effects (sparks and such), so on and so forth. All of these features will have the option to toggle off, because I know most Quakers are picky and don't like new stuff in that kind of regard.

Comment

Outside of DM, it will revolve around sci-fi horror.
                  With this sentence you got me! There are never enough scifi-horror films and games out there!

I intend to make this scary as HELL. Imagine Quake meets Dead Space.
                  Dutch for President 2018! 'nough said. Serious: That is what i remember playing Quake felt the first time! I still like the first two Dead Space and especially the first one... well, i wouldn't put it into line with Quake but it's one of the most solid solid horror-game experiences that i had. Something like that comes only once or twice a decade. If you manage to meet your own expectations it will be a goddamngreat mod.
                  And because Quake is something like Unity (you can mod it into EVERYTHING) you can actually really achieve what you want. I'm looking forward to it.

All of these features will have the option to toggle off, because I know most Quakers are picky and don't like new stuff in that kind of regard.
                  Yup, the most are relative conservative when it comes to balance and gameflow changes in quake, which is why i also go with that philosophy for my mod. Plus: It gives variety. Variety and configurability are always good to have.

Hellbent for more updates in the next few months,
                  TKJ

Comment

Dutch
                    These weapons look great man! Looking forward to seeing more.

Comment

I'm loving the incinerator. It's really getting me in the mood for some texturing aaand it's gone.

Looking forward for more!

Best,
                      wizardmachine

Comment

New update! Added a pic of the new Rocket Launcher in original post.

=========

ArrrCee

Thanks buddy! Looking forward to producing more.

wizardmachine

Thank you too! Lol yeah I know what you mean about texturing...probably my LEAST favorite part of modeling. Usually takes the longest, and will make or break the model regardless of geometry.

TheKillingJoke

Totally agree. I was pretty young when Quake came out (5 or 6). Scared the crap out of me. I like a good horror game. I remember playing the demo for Dead Space, shitting myself, and saying "I need this game". I liked all 3 of them. The first was the creepiest for sure. I know a lot of people don't like the 3rd one but I personally thought it was fantastic. Not as scary for sure, but still a lot of fun. Great storyline.

Comment

Ahh.. the Rocket Launcher, best melee weapon in nearly every game! It can be me, but i would spice up that one a little more. Well. No clue how, but a little salt and pepper is missing. On the other side, what else do you want to make as a rocket launcher than a long tube. And also: I shut my mouth. Bet ingame it looks nicer in 1st person.

Edit: It's a lot about perspective when it comes to 1st person... especially in Quake.

Comment

I actually tried to spice it up, but the more I added, the less I liked it. Sometimes simplicity is king. Of all the weapon remakes, I wanted this one to really stay true to the original. This weapon pretty much made Quake what it is lol.

Comment

Loving the faithful redesigns of the classics!
                              Soundtracks and Instrumentals
                              MyMusic | Youtube

Comment

Working...
                              X