Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[HELP!] The perpetual search for a better ogre...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [HELP!] The perpetual search for a better ogre...

This WIP is here as a sideline to the authentic model compilation thread which in turn is the mother of all of this.
    Ever since capnbubs first showed his improved yet faithfull ogre model in that thread Ive been after it or something as close to it as possible.
    alas this model is now long lost to the mists of modding time and many others have come and gone.
    the following pic shows the variety of models most available but two still wip:
    image_3372.jpg
    the capnbubs is clearly the gold-standard to aspire to but unfortunately will most likely stay perpetually unavailable. twas never finished past the walking anims afaik...
    currently, at the time of posting this, Nightfright is using the abandonned chillo model with my skin (second from the end on the far right) in the AMQ pack...

the c0burn head fix is good and all but not quite enough detail for the project IMHO...
    dont get me started on the final design that chillo settled on... i've no idea wtf is that all about (model design choices aside, it has damn good, faithfull anims though...)

so, the sock model based on the 'hunter' ogre model from arcane dimensions was the next logical step. first thing I did was remove the spiked-shoulder-pad and tweak the existing anims to match the order/number of originals from the id1 model.
    I then altered the skin to remove the resultant 't-shirt' sleeve on the left shoulder and to make the grenade-launcher look more like its id1 counterpart.
    The skin for the DOE mp2 ogre was ported and altered to fit and the same was done for the headgib of both variants.

however its still a bit off somehow. the 'walk' and 'paine' frames in particular are in need of some further tweaking but it does work and is playable, as such Ive elected to post it here:
    https://www.mediafire.com/file/7cpns...WIP)4.zip/file
    alas these issues are just too dodgy for it to be included in the AMQ, dispite its more authentic and faithfull look when compared to the chillo model currently in use.
    The poor old boy has got one hell of a limp at present and to be honest his head could use a little work to be just that little bit less square...
    Look, if i was any good at model manipulation and/or animation I'd try to do something with it but alas, what Ive done is pushing the limit of my abilities already.
    As such Ive left it as this for now but I'm more than open to any help that anyone can do to fix this.
    So, if anyone is able to address these issues please do get in touch with me or nightfright here (or over on the authentic models thread) and you could yet be the saviour of this model.

anyway for those that can just as easily overlook such issues please feel free to use him and enjoy him as he is.
    heres a couple of shots to show him off some:
    spasm0006.jpg
    seen here in an early wip shot with his unchanged player-style launcher, as featured on the ad specific ogres...

spasm0005.jpg
    heres a shot of the ROE (mission pack 2 variant) shown here in foggy bogbottom in Arcane dimensions... yep there are doe ogres in there... its just an alternative skin here and there though, they dont use the multi-nades, or do anything special AFAIK anyhow...

in truth this model is ideal for use in AD as it replaces the few standard model ogres that occur in the game with these that cant fail to match the 'hunter' and 'hammer' ogres that AD is famous for... (just rename ogre.mdl to mon_ogre.mdl to do this...)
    Last edited by osjclatchford; 02-08-2021, 01:58 AM.

*post copied from authentic model improvement thread as its relevent*

I was casually looking through a copy of bloodshot's quake1.5
    you'll never guess what unused model I found tucked away in there..?

yup it seems that BS was too working to get the ad ogre to work without new code too! I believe he then went back to the regular ad anims as his mod is riddled with all sorts of complicated code that allows it to work.
    Like me he's rejigged all the anims to match the id1 numbers and names etc... however unlike me he's made it work much better as far as the walk animation is concerned! LOL

I've again removed the unwanted spikey pad geometry and then ported my skins (id and doe) over from t'other one I did.

get it here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/gm2ml...ed+v2.zip/file

also it seems the model geometry is a bit different too. the arms and head have different detail, nose is slightly different.
    so odd that I found this but a few hours after almost giving up on this!

however its not without its faults. there seems to be as much vertex wobble as a quake2 view weapon on the model so I'm not sure what process led to that or if it can be fixed in post but, yeah the ogre's no longer doing the limpy shuffle I had him doing. however his skin now looks like its made of jelly... SIGH! what is it with this cowson, eh?

can anyone help with that?

Comment

Doubt this will help, but here is another ogre model for the list...

https://tomeofpreach.wordpress.com/2...ogre/#more-300

Maybe a more authentic skin could improve it?

Comment

I seriously doubt that...
        good god I'd forgotton that one... now I remember why...
        Last edited by osjclatchford; 02-08-2021, 01:59 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X