Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I was bored so this was just for a bit of fun

Evening all
    I remember seeing what I thought to be a very impressive video some years ago (see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjJx7BqV6Yo) detailing how quake 1 would look with a fresh coat of paint using a new engine such as the Unreal engine...

Now I'm no artist or Pro Game Dev coder but after much "fettling" whilst having a few days over my Christmas break, and grabbing a copy of the QRP textures (thanks [Moon]Drunk) I ported one of the levels across, added in some additional graphic enhancements and tried to get it to work in Unity. It's not a patch on the Unreal version linked above but it didn't turn out quite as bad as I was expecting....

file.php?id=93.jpg

file.php?id=92.jpg

file.php?id=91.jpg

I'll post a few more screenshots shortly but just for fun, can you tell what well known map it is yet?

Kind regards
    Monty
    Mr.Burns
    "Helping to keep this community friendly, helpful, and clean of spammers since 2006"
    WWW: Quake Terminus , QuakeVoid You Tube: QuakeVoid
    Servers: Quake.shmack.net, damage.servequake.com

News: JCR's excellent ctsj_jcr map is being ported to OOT

Just a few more clues...

file.php?id=94.jpg
    file.php?id=95.jpg

file.php?id=96.jpg

Kind regards
    Monty
    Mr.Burns
    "Helping to keep this community friendly, helpful, and clean of spammers since 2006"

Comment

For those that guessed e1m6, you were right - 10 Quake Points to you

file.php?id=98.jpg

file.php?id=97.jpg

For those that haven't played it in a while it originally looked like this..
      800px-e1m6.jpg

Kind regards
      Monty
      Mr.Burns

Comment

Nice Screenshots Mr. Burns!!

Comment

Originally posted by webangel View Post
          Nice Screenshots Mr. Burns!!
          Thanks Web Angel, that's very nice of you to say. After seeing some of the stuff you have contributed I'm sure you could do better
          To be fair, a lot of the credit should go to Moon Drunk for the wonderful QRP textures as they really make the graphics stand out. For my part I just added Height / bump maps. I'm happy to try alternative textures for future maps if they are available as a few of Quake textures don't age very well.
          Just out of interest do you have a favourite (Id or custom) quake map?

Kind regards
          Monty
          Mr.Burns

Comment

A favourite map? Hm. I would say E4M7 Azure Agony is one of the greatest map.

Comment

Oooh yes, interesting choice and that's a fair size map. I'll stick that one on my list and see how it turns out and maybe post a screenshot or 2 here if anyone is interested

Kind regards
              Monty

Last edited by Mr.Burns; 01-18-2024, 10:02 AM.
              Mr.Burns

Comment

Hello Mr. Burns,

I wish you and all Quake lovers a wonderful year 2024.
                May all the things come true you are hoping for.

Seeing your post, I remember the discussion we had several years ago.
                Around the time you saw that 1st video the first time.
                If I remember correctly you are working on this project since then.

Really great results in your new screenshots.
                And no, I didnt win the 10 Quake points
                I could never know a map by seeing screenshots.
                Somehow all the Quake maps look similar to me. Its maybe due to the nice brown textures all over

That is why I also do not have a afovite map.
                Even back then when we all gathered in this forum on a daily basis, I seldom played through Quake.
                I restarted maps a thousand times, always tinkering with code and what not. Rather then playing and enjoing it...

Still have dozens of fan made maps in my folder, which are waiting to be played. I guess that will never happen

All the Best my old friend,
                Seven

Comment

Originally posted by Seven View Post
                  Hello Mr. Burns,

I wish you and all Quake lovers a wonderful year 2024.
                  May all the things come true you are hoping for.
                  As always its nice to hear from you Seven. I wish the same to you, I hope 2024 is going well and you and the family are having a good time

Seeing your post, I remember the discussion we had several years ago.
                  Around the time you saw that 1st video the first time.
                  If I remember correctly you are working on this project since then.

Really great results in your new screenshots.
                  Thanks Seven, I must be honest and state that the textures are really the work of a very generous Moon Drunk and those involved in the Quake retexturing project. So a big thank you to them. I just converted the map, got it working, added lighting and some small modifications, added Moon's textures and created additional texture maps that enhance them a little bit in the new engine. You are right, it is the same project but at times I have to put it on hold for long periods due to work and carer committments, but once in a while a get a few minutes spare and pop back in to it to see what I can learn from it.
                  Now... if only I could get a version of SMC working in the new environment (just kidding)

And no, I didnt win the 10 Quake points
                  I could never know a map by seeing screenshots.
                  Somehow all the Quake maps look similar to me. Its maybe due to the nice brown textures all over

That is why I also do not have a favourite map.
                  Even back then when we all gathered in this forum on a daily basis, I seldom played through Quake.
                  I restarted maps a thousand times, always tinkering with code and what not. Rather then playing and enjoing it...

Still have dozens of fan made maps in my folder, which are waiting to be played. I guess that will never happen
                  I know what you mean on the map name problem, I always thought that it must be my age . The map reference page made by Slot and Baker always helped . I must finish my own little map reference when I get time.

All the Best my old friend,
                  Seven
                  Take care Seven, have fun with your superb projects and please keep in touch
                  Last edited by Mr.Burns; 02-19-2024, 12:58 AM.
                  Mr.Burns

Comment

Working...
                  X