New Monster Skins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Monster Skins

I just found out about Dark Places and how you can use hi-res textures. I found a couple of world texture packs, which are really good, but only a handful of monster skins that look like they took the original id skins and re-sized them, which makes them look exactly the same. I'm trying to stay true to the classic look as much as I can, but I may stray a bit here and there. The only problem I'm having ATM is that the skins work only in Qrack (I wanted them to be compatible with DP too, but they don't even show there). Once I solve the DP problem, I may even make normal, bump and gloss maps for those who like the eye-candy.
    So far I have the Hell Knight and the Scragg(sp). Take a look:

***UPDATE***
    Grunt added:

Alternate grunt (I like this one more)

Knight finished:
    Last edited by Fragger; 09-20-2009, 05:49 PM.

Check out my blog! And my site too!

oooh! looking good, that's one mean looking hellknight!

Comment

So where is the download link?

Just kidding. In all seriousness though, they are looking great. Will you do a knight skin? A few people have recently tried to make a skin for the knight, but I felt they were all too different from the original, or not detailed enough.

Can't wait to see future skins from you!

Comment

I will make the skins available as a pack, so no link yet
        As for the knight, I will definitely make a skin for it. I'm working on the grunt right now.

Comment

Oh, the update slipped past me. You should respond to this thread when you update the initial post, so we know when you add new screenshots! I'm loving the new Knight! It's not completely faithful to the original, but it's faithful enough! I especially love the fact that you kept the shoulder pads red - something the other skinning artists didn't do. It makes the skin as colorful as the original, which is a huge plus.

The grunts look good too. Don't let this project die! I've seen too many artists start skinning projects, only to disappear later before releasing any skins at all.

Comment

Well, about not responding when updating, I've been yelled at a few times for double-posting (not here, though) so I never do that...lol
            I changed the face of the knight, because the original looked too clean and not "hellish" enough. I'm working on the fiend right now. Cleaning up the original texture so it's more smooth and blood-free (to be used in creating normal, gloss and bump maps) and making the thing a new mane:

Sadly. Quake models always stretch the textures, so it's hard to make them look perfect, but I'm trying my best (spent a long time trying to align the mane textures, but they just don't align).
            Anyway, I'll continue until I'm done with all of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Fragger View Post
              Well, about not responding when updating, I've been yelled at a few times for double-posting (not here, though) so I never do that...lol
              I don't think anybody will complain, as long as you don't have two posts in a row within a short period of time. If people have had a chance to respond, then I think it's ok. It's only when you have like 2-3 posts in a row in one day stating that you updated the original post that people probably get annoyed.

I changed the face of the knight, because the original looked too clean and not "hellish" enough.
              Yeah, and I really like the new face you did. I'm surprised it turned out that good, as lousy as the mesh is for the Knight. The stretching you talked about is probably the worst on the Knight model.

The fiend is looking good so far!

Comment

Your skins look really good ! And close to the original ones at the same time. Well done !

The grunt is too colorful for my taste, and I'd remove some details (knight teeth, grunt missing nose) to give a overall darker impression, sometimes less is better, but I might be too extremist, dunno

I'd definitely like to see how they "feel" ingame.

Thx for your work !
                engine: quore.free.fr

Comment

Originally posted by lxndr View Post
                  ...The grunt is too colorful for my taste, and I'd remove some details (knight teeth, grunt missing nose) to give a overall darker impression...
                  I agree with you on the grunt. Still working on it. I removed his nose because his face is flat, and when you see his profile, he has no nose.
                  The knight's teeth can be easily removed. Thanks for the feedback.
                  ***UPDATE***
                  The dog:

I almost gave up on this one. So far, the worst stretching of the texture in any models I've seen.
                  Ogre:

New grunt:
                  Last edited by Fragger; 09-22-2009, 11:47 PM.

Comment

Disregard previous ogre:

Comment

The Ogre still needs some work, I think. The face looks a bit squished, and the skin as well as the armor could use a bit more detail. It looks sort of like a clay figurine as it currently stands.

On another note, the dog looks awesome! That is probably the first good looking skin I've seen for the dog yet. It's also incredibly faithful! Perhaps my only tiny complaint is that the dog looks a bit too clean. Isn't it supposed to be an "evil zombified" dog? Maybe it needs a few more blood stains or something.

Comment

The "zombiefied" look is on the other side. I thought about adding blood stains on it, but the stretching makes them look like lines.

Comment

Ah. I'll wait to see the final product, then.

Comment

The ogre skin plus head gib:

Maybe you guys can see it better in-game using better graphics (I have a crap computer)
                            Last edited by Fragger; 09-24-2009, 10:30 PM.

Comment

I was able to save the ogre skin in JPG format, but where is the head gib?

It looks pretty good, anyway. The eyes might be a bit too large compared to the original, though. I always thought of the Ogre's eyes as being a bit smaller and darker. Almost like you are staring into black, devilish eyes. The teeth also look a bit too clean. I think the features of his face in general need to be a little less distinguished, if that makes sense. It needs to look a little more messy, and not so "perfect". I understand this is hard to do with a high-res skin, but I'm sure it's doable. Maybe if you made the lips blend in a little more, and not so big. Come to think of it, he kind of looks like Abobo from Double Dragon, with the large prominent facial features. Lol

Edit: That's odd... Now I can suddenly see the Head gib. Did you update your post?
                              Last edited by Lightning_Hunter; 09-24-2009, 11:19 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X