Inkub0's RTLIGHTS - Dissolution of Eternity/MP2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inkub0's RTLIGHTS - Dissolution of Eternity/MP2

Here it is my work in progress on Dissolution of Eternity. Right click and save it in your /rogue/maps/ folder...

Start level

R1M1 - Deviant's Domain

R1M2 - Dread Portal

R1M3 - Judgement Call

R1M4 - Cave of Death

R1M5 - Towers of Wrath

R1M6 - Temple of Pain

R1M7 - Tomb of the Overlord

R2M1 - Tempus Fugit

R2M2 - Elemental Fury I

R2M3 - Elemental Fury II

R2M4 - Curse of Osiris

R2M5 - Wizard's Keep

R2M6 -

R2M7 - The last Bastion

Last edited by inkub0; 03-29-2011, 05:44 AM.
    Ia! Ia! Shubb Niggurath!

"Not dead is what forever can wait" (HPL)

post your comments, guys! =)
    Ia! Ia! Shubb Niggurath!

Comment

Looks great so far from the screenshots! I've been neglecting my copy of Dissolution of Eternity... I'm gonna give it a playthrough with those new .rtlights
      Clan Brotherhood of the Axe

Comment

I'll test them now!

Comment

I just tested them as well...r1m1 and r1m2 both looked and ran great . Fun looking at the torch shadows dancing on the walls... r1m3 looked great as well, but there were a few parts that caused me some slowdown. Here are a few screenshots of those parts for clarification:

Other than those parts, they ran very smoothly at 150-300 or so FPS. I'm on an AMD Phenom II x2 550 overclocked to 3.72ghz from 3.1, Radeon HD 5870.
          Clan Brotherhood of the Axe

Comment

One level I want to see is the last map. That dragon battle just didn't seem intimidating or anything - it was "meh" lack of atmosphere - so can't wait to see how it's done. IMO it should be fairly dark and just have the lava overall lighting the area - that would make the dragons attacks appear much more deadly too as they have light sources on them.

Comment

@ bta.monster: thank you =) i'm going to "clean" some lights in r1m3. my goal is to leave the highest possible number of lights casting shadows... but it's hard to get high FPS. I'll do my best.

@ ooppee: that last map will be a MASTERPIECE dont worry
              Ia! Ia! Shubb Niggurath!

Comment

Wow thanks for this!
                While I think most people agree that mp2 is not as good as vanilla quake or mp1, this expansion should not be written off as "don't bother to play". It's still a lot of fun.
                I'm glad to see the community is expanding on this often ignored addon.

Comment

did a small clean over r1m3 and added r1m4 =)
                  Ia! Ia! Shubb Niggurath!

Comment

off to a very nice start
                    Also I recommend using Seven's modified progs.dat so you get the real fire

Comment

I have to replay MP2...

maybe we can get RMQ to support this somehow, because I really got used to the new weapon balance etc. to the point where vanilla Quake seems uncomfortable. Gonna try it and put in some hacks so the maps can at least be finished from start to end using rmq.

Never was a fan of lava nails anyway.
                      Scout's Journey
                      Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

I agree with you on that. I found the maps were great for MP2 - but the weapons were "blah".
                        The lava nails were just super versions of the normal nails - nothing more. They should of done something more like give them a slower rate of fire but they burst on impact and the little drops do damage to anything they hit. So it would make their purpose different but similar. Single enemy - use nail - cluster of enemies - use lava. Currently if you have lava - you're going to use the lava. The multi-weapons we just overkill and I found them to be too pointless due to the maps (maps had MANY narrow pathways - which defeated the purpose). The Plasmagun though I did enjoy as it was a BFG without the B.
                        Mod I am half-assed working on is actually merging QTest, id1, MP1 and MP2 together.
                        So you start in id1, once you defeat Shub you get teleported to MP1's start map once you defeat Armagon, you go to MP2's start map.

Comment

aren't you gonna run into legal issues there - I mean doesn't that require repackaging the maps together or something?

I guess an engine mod could enable you to play them all in a row / link them together.

RMQ's support for external mods (Nehahra, Quoth, mission packs...) takes the approach of simply swapping the entities out for RMQ ones via QC, and then running the maps under RMQ (you still need the mission packs installed). That's definitely doable without hurting any licenses, you simply play with "-hipnotic -game rmq" etc. so the game can access the hipnotic resources, but uses the rmq progs etc.

In the case of Quoth, you dump the maps in question into rmq/maps pretty much. This external mod support is something of a hobby for us.

How does yours work, technically?

I agree on the weapons btw - I simply replace them via qc. You can even replace certain monsters that way, ie when you play e1m1 under rmq, you'll notice nail grunts etc. ;-)

The monsters are something else; you can't really replace centroids, gremlins, invisible swordsmen, and the other stuff. They're unique. You'd have to add them to your mod.

The mission packs also use some hacked up new entities which must be supported for minimum compatibility (hiprotate, breakables / explodeables, certain weird triggers, hacked plats and trains which is kinda ugly).

Edit: Looking at the hipnotic and rogue qc source, most of their added stuff is in its own files... should be doable to combine them and put mission pack monsters into standard quake etc.
                          Scout's Journey
                          Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

Ah for a release of it (if I ever finish and do release it) - would require the users themselves to place the pak files in the directory and rename them as id1 is always loaded. MP1 would be pak0.pak and MP2 would be pak1.pak - user would have to place and rename themselves. pak2.pak would be the extra content (my progs.dat, QTest models). It's really a mod that I am doing for myself. I did a similar mod in the past. Adding Armagon, Dragon, QTest Dragon and Nail Ogre to id1. Had Armagon in the room on with the Vores in e4m7 and then the Dragon boss in e3m6 in the bridge area where the Rune is - each had 1/4 the health though. Was nice. Going for all out though. I love playing all the id1 maps and the mission packs. Annoying to have to switch between mods. This will allow me to load them all up play - even play DoE with SoA weapons and vise versa.
                            For the enemies - it's just a simple random selection. Not set by map ect - just xx% it will be normal/QTest nail/QTest SNG/axe/qtest launcher Ogre or grunt/qtest shotgun grunt/ssg grunt/qtest ssg grunt, Normal Vore/Lava Ball Vore(Pre-Release)/"Wizard", Skrag/QTest Scrag (explosive projectile)/Serpent (as I have no idea where to add him). The QTest Dragon I intend to make a mini-boss that appears on E3M6 (basically same exact concept of me putting the Dragon boss on it).
                            I know the grunts never used a SSG however figured it would be a nice addon as they are so easy to kill and they need variation. The only weapon I haven't thought of a way of adding is the QTest RocketLauncher - I've considered making it a alternate Enforcer.
                            My idea of the QTest weapons though - they will be basically "bonus" weapons. Nothing overall special and they are very rare to get. Don't want them to be a focus, just "oh sweet I got a different shotgun".

Only major hiccups I know I will encounter - the HUD as it will have to be redone to allow all the content - the other is that damn Axe Ogre. The shield. I tried it a few times and I just keep scrapping it all. I want a basic one - if shield is up - damage is reduced or nulled. Explosives reduced, others are nulled. Issue is I could be shooting his foot or arm but since the shield is up - it's nulling the damage. Other issue was I could be shooting him from behind and again - nulled. So I've scrapped the code and am trying to figure out how to do it (no luck lol)

Although we should discuss more of this via PM if you want to. Can't hijack this thread
                            I am waiting to try these until he is done as I want to do a full playthrough. I do have a save at the last level - really want to see that (maybe do it next please? lol)

Comment

Golden_boy, i can now light maps, as you see =) if you need an help... i'm here
                              Ia! Ia! Shubb Niggurath!

Comment

Working...
                              X