"Unnamed" Mod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Unnamed" Mod

Well I've announced the mod I wanted to do before. Thanks to Dr.ShadowBorg, it's finally coming together and the most difficult part is overall done - the 25+ weapons.

Mod name will change. Basis of this mod is to make Q1 and it's mission packs into 1 GIANT single mission (beat Q1->SoA map1->Beat SoA->DoE map1) and have weapons from each available to each AND then adding in the removed Pre-Release/QTest enemies and weapons.

Presently there are 25 weapons:
    What the test includes:
    25 Weapons split into 8 Slots.

Slot 1
    Grappling Hook
    Axe
    Mjolnir

Slot 2
    Shotgun
    QTest Shotgun
    Enforcer Lasergun

Slot 3
    Super Shotgun
    QTest Super Shotgun

Slot 4
    Nailgun
    QTest Nailgun
    Lava Nailgun

Slot 5
    Super Nailgun
    QTest Super Nailgun
    Lava Super Nailgun

Slot 6
    Grenade Launcher
    QTest Grenade Launcher
    Proximity Gun
    Multi Grenade Launcher

Slot 7
    Rocket Launcher
    QTest Rocket Launcher
    Multi Rocket Launcher

Slot 8
    Lightning Gun
    Chain Lightning Gun
    Laser Cannon
    Plasma Gun

Monsters
    I am reducing the font size to the lowest available on the forums as this list is LONG.

-Grunt: He will be like usual. However adding in randomization. The randomization would be what weapon he uses and drops (if gibbed). The possible versions you can fight are:
    -Single Shotgun - the usual.
    -Single Shotgun (QTest) - Like the usual but will instead fire the QTest shotgun, and if gibbed he will drop it.
    -Super Shotgun - A deadlier version. Now I do know this does allow the player to get a SSG earlier in concept. However we all know the secret locations to get it earlier. However we need the Grunt to be scarier time to time.
    -Super Shotgun (QTest) - same as above, but QTest shotgun and again will drop it if gibbed.
    Note: And no, the QTest versions will not use the wireframe skin from QTest

-Enforcer: Will drop his gun if he's gibbed. No variation yet done or really planned. However IF one was planned it'd be:
    -BioSuit(Possible) - The Biosuit but in enemy form. Basically would act the same in AI. Fire a laser and all too. However I'd make him faster in movement but lower health (as he'd have a lack of armor).

-Scrag: Our green puking monster that flies. He will also come in a different form:
    -QTest - The QTest version was deadlier. Slightly different model and he also fired a explosive projectile. Small radius but it was deadlier. He will make a return
    -Serpent - In place of him, he will sometimes spawn a Serpent. Description is later in this document (as it's a completely different enemy)

-Vore: The enemy with the creepy screech and that annoying and deadly homing spike ball of death. It will have variations:
    -Pre-Release - Pretty much the same except the projectile was homing lava balls. I may drop the homing ability and opt for making them like Chthon's attack but weaker in damage but faster in movement.
    -QTest - The Wizard. The Wizard evolved into the Vore. The original was intended to send you flying back if you got near it and also would throw lava balls at you. That's what this one would do.
    -QTest + Vore (Possible) - The Wizard, same as above but will instead use the standard Vore projectile in place of the lava ball. Highly possible. That way we have the Vore AND Wizard having versions which use the Spike ball and the Lava ball.

-Ogre: The Grenade using Chainsaw welding monster. He will come in MANY variations:
    -QTest - Nailgun using. Just as it says. He will fire the QTest nailgun instead of the Grenade Launcher. Drops if gibbed.
    -Multi-Grenade - Appears in DoE but will now appear in SoA and ID1 maps. Fires the multi-grenade. Killing him will earn you multi-rockets - meaning you then unlock the ability to use those weapons, until you run out of ammo.
    -Axe/Shield - Credits out to Remake Quake for this. In the Pre-Release screenshots we saw him but he got cut and replaced with the Grenade/Chainsaw. He will function overall the same as Remake Quake's but do plan on making a few edits to dumb him down.
    -SNG (Possible) - Like the QTest but will instead fire the QTest Super Nailgun. Depends on whether people think he'd be a nice addition.
    -GL (QTest) (Possible) - a hybrid of QTest and ID1 - him going to the roots we are used to but he will instead use the QTest GL. Drops if gibbed.
    -Lava Nailgun (Possible)- As the lava nails will be available in all maps (well possibly as it will be randomized) - why couln't he use them? Will come in super form too. This will only happen if the below one happens...
    -QTest/ID1 (Possible)- A id1 nailgun using Ogre. So a hybrid of the 2. Will also come in a SNG form too.
    -"End All version (Possibly - not likely) - Well with all the versions above. I've considered to make him similar to the Gremlin. He won't steal but will pick up weapons off the ground like a player and use them - ANY weapon. He'd spawn with one of the weapons above randomly. However if he walks over a new weapon - he drops the weapon he had and then uses the new weapon. So you *could* encounter a Rocket Launcher Ogre. This would (likely) be too difficult for me to do presently but something I am considering.

-Tarbaby/Spawn: Our annoying, bouncy, explosive guy. Will come in a few different forms:
    -Vomitus - the slow moving "mother". It throws-up Spawn's with high velocity and they blow up on impact like a Rocket.
    -Hell Spawn - from DoE. He is differently colored and will sometimes split into 2 - thus multiplying. (only added if below isn't done)
    -Edit - This will be a addon to the original Spawn's code. Basically giving it the ability to split into 2 like the Hell Spawn. So in reality it'd be the Hell Spawn but with the original skin. Hard/Nightmare only.

-RotFish: The weakest enemy. No real edits done but will sometimes be replaced with another enemy:
    -Eel - The eel from DoE. Nothing special

-Eel:
    He zaps you, underwater. Will sometimes be replaced:
    -Rotfish - yes a basic thing here. Much lower % though, so the rotfish will be rare to replace him.

-Zombie: will be killable without explosions BUT will require you to shoot him while down and use a fair amount of ammo (making grenades STRONGLY preferred). Will have a rare chance of being:
    -Mummy - The Mummy from DoE. MUCH higher health. So it will be a rare replacement but likely to encounter at least 1 on E1M3.

-Mummy: Zombie with alot more health.
    -Zombie(Possible) - As the zombie will sometimes (rarely) be replaced with him I felt the opposite should happen with the same rare chance. So you may luck out and get to same some ammo .

-Chthon: Will be killable, however explosives will deal reduced damage and lava nails will do nothing. So in other words, basically impossible to kill with weapons. UNLESS you have a Lightning Gun/Mjnolnir/ChainLighting/PlasmaGun in which the damage given to him from those will be doubled. However unless you're cheating, you shouldn't have them. Adding in for custom maps AND also new ways to kill him. Like you could kill him on the other difficulties by dealing alot of damage to him via weapons and only have to zap him once instead of 3 times.

-Dragon (Q-Test): Intend to have appear at the end of E3M6 (Chambers of Torment) right before you get the Rune at the end of the bridge. He will be in that area. So you'd fight him with only a bridge separating you. Dodging space would be limited due to the lava.

-Chthon(Pre-Release): He functions the same basically, however looks a fair amount different. I am planning on adding him as a sub boss somewhere in SoA as Armagon is the only "boss".

Fiend/Demon: We know him. No changest except:
    -QTest - Basically just add in a randomizer to the monster model to use the Fiend's model from QTest. The QTest version of the model had him in a slightly more upright position. As he was unusable in QTest (crashed), I will just make him 100% like the original in attack damage and all. It'd basically act as a random skin.
    -Gremlin - Closest enemy in appearance. Basically the Fiend would randomly be replaced by these. As they are much weaker, I was thinking of making it so if they do replace the Fiend it'd be with at least 2 but likely 3 of them.
    -Centoid(Possible) - Easily the hardest enemy to find a suitable one to randomly replace. I was thinking the Death Knight - but the maps he's on wouldn't suit this monster. Replacing the Enforcer (most suiting) would cause a serious balance issue as he is MUCH more powerful. So this is overall the best suited. I will *likely* reskin this one so it suits the maps more - less techy and more fleshy. However....(See Deathknight notes)

Knight: No changes planned for him aside from these possible randomizers:
    QTest - Sometimes make him use the QTest model. It's slightly different in appearance but has some noticable animation changes.
    Phantom Swordsman - From DoE, make him (rarely) replace the Knight. They function basically the same. I will not make the Knight randomly replace the Swordsman though as they are usually Scripted-Event enemies.
    Statue(Possible) - Basically the same. The stone version from DoE. He just usually is more of a scripted event. It's possible to add him in very easily. So if you think he would be good - I will but with a low percentage.

Death Knight: We all know him. He will sometimes be replaced with:
    -Wrath - The DoE enemy. He is the most suited to randomly replace him. Both have that "Death" look to them and he is of equal power. More health yes but slightly weaker attacks (if you exclude his death explosion).
    -Statue(Possible) - Like the Statue Knight from DoE, there's a Death Knight version. Again he would be easy to add if it's requested.
    -Centoid(Possible) - Like the idea of the Fiend being replaced with the Centoid. Apply the same idea (New armorless skin + lower health)

Shambler: The strongest non-boss enemy. He zaps you, it hurts. He used to be slightly different.
    -QTest - Appears shorter and the blood is more red. His attack has less range. I don't like the idea of less range though but more of....
    -More likely version - ChainLightning Shambler - Uses the Chainlightning attack. Instant 60 damage BUT can cause some major infighting as it chains

Enemies that will remain exclusive (unless mapped in):
    Overlord from DoE - he serves as a boss for DoE's first episode. So therefore he should remain as a boss there.
    Chthon (Kinda) - Episode 1 Boss. The version we see in the retail Quake will remain exclusive. However the Pre-Release version may appear elsewhere.
    Guardians - Thus far will remain exclusive, as they act as (sub) bosses for DoE.
    Shub - do I need to state why she will remain exclusive.
    QTest Dragon - as stated above will serve as a boss for Episode 3.
    Dragon - DoE final boss.
    Armagon - SoA final boss.
    Lava Man - The Mini-Chthon in DoE - serves as a Sub-Boss. HOWEVER this may change as he fits many maps in all 3 missions of Quake, so he could be added.
    Centoid - The SoA version. A unarmored versin is possibly planned. So if it's done, will be featured in all 3 missions - but only in the "Savage" form.

"Impulse 9" Weapons Test (No New Monsters and no new Weapon Pickups)
    April 23 2011 Updated Test

Very interesting and sounds fun!
    (I reckon if I were you (and its ok if you dont) I would actually make entirely new maps that kinda carried the themes of the originals but had slightly new layouts and monster positions- just to keep people guessing).
    Check out my awesome Deviant art page!
    Quake fanart (obviously included)!

http://harry-the-fox.deviantart.com/

Comment

Sadly I can't map
      I'm open to people making maps for it. Which I am hoping for. Due to the randomization - this will change any maps map specifically for Q1/Mp1/Mp2 without any further editing.
      Presently there would be some guessing as to which variation of the monster is around the corner.
      Ex: Death Knight - will it be one or a (Savage) Centoid, or Wrath - each are pretty different enemies.

Comment

Hello OoPpEe,

My issue report from your newest build (20.04.2011):

1.) Your code remembers the last used weapon in each slot.
        Example: Choose the prototype nailgun (doesnt matter if with mousewheel or key),
        then push the key "2" and you will take out the shotgun.
        Now push the key "3" and you will take out the prototype nailgun instead of the nailgun.
        So, always using the first weapon in a slot (as it is coded in original mission packs) is not implemented yet.

2.) Grappling Hook uses the alternate ammo view
        It makes no sense to give the grapling hook (as it doesnt use any ammo) the alternate ammo view.
        It should behave like the axe.

3.) (referring to 2.) ALL alternative ammo weapons dont use the alternative ammo view.
        So, either use the original ammo view for all weapons (also for grapling hook) or
        give all alternative ammo weapons the correct alternative ammo view (= better).

I interpret that one of your reasons to choose the rogue HUD is the alternative ammo view,
        so there is no reason for not to use it, because you have max. 2 ammo types per slot in your mod.
        That is what rogue can give you with no issues.

legend:
        original ammo view == R_INVBAR2
        alternative ammo view == R_INVBAR1

Kind regards,
        Seven
        Last edited by Seven; 04-22-2011, 01:32 PM. Reason: typos

Comment

The "remembers weapon" was added by Shadowborg, I kept it in as I did find it to be a nice addition. Like if I was using the Multi-Rocket Launcher in a big fight and when a weaker enemy comes near - switch to the Super Shotgun to kill him without blowing myself up, when I push 7 again, I want the Multi-Rocket out again. Was a feature I failed to mention. I can look into making multiple instances of "Impulse" binds. The QTest/MP1/MP2 weapons all have direct binds to them (they will cycle later) and those ones will attempt to pull out that weapon first THEN go to the next if it isn't available. I can make a separate impulse for the original id1 weapons that does the same. That way we have the best of both worlds. A user can keep the default "remember weapon" cycle or they can use a cycle code which doesn't remember which weapon and will instead pull out the weapon you want and if it isn't available - switches to the next. This will just need 8 more impulses to add - which is easy to do

Grappling Hook - code wise it IS the axe. Much of the weapon coding uses this:
          if weapon = IT_SUPER_SHOTGUN & weapon2 = IT3_QTEST_SUPER_SHOTGUN
          do this QTest Shotgun Code
          else if weapon = IT_SUPER_SHOTGUN & weapon2 = IT3_SUPER_SHOTGUN
          do this Shotgun Code

The IT_SUPER_SHOTGUN is only used to tell it what icon to use on the HUD.
          As I already used all 24 possible values, I had to cheat to get the Grappling Hook in.
          Axe uses: IT_AXE and IT3_AXE
          Grapple uses: IT_GRAPPLE and IT3_AXE
          So the HUD issue you are referring to is caused by the IT_GRAPPLE however no other values to use as if I make it use any of the other IT_ values when you use it - it will use that icon on the HUD. So if I assign it to a different IT_ value it will result in the same incident. Also the original Grapple did the same effect as that's hard coded into the engine. I *could* try a work around but that could be difficult.

The Inv bars are handled via Engine. I did notice the Lava Nailguns, Multi-Rockets and Plasma Guns don't swap out the ammo either. So that will be a future bug fix. This however will make those weapons get their own icon on the HUD again - I can fix that by modifying the .wad file to make it identical to the default and just make a note for those who customize their HUD to replace BOTH textures as if they don't the old low res icon will come out for Plasma/Multi/Lava guns.

The reason to use the Rogue extension wasn't for the ibar (completely forgot about it as I never have it visible) but for the larger ammo icon that appears beside your ammo count in large text. Without the "rogue" extension the Lava/Multi/Plasma ammo icons for those would be gone but still have a ammo count (basically appear the same as the axe - except with a number aside from zero)

Comment

...there we go again.
            Misunderstanding most probably due to my bad english.

I spoke about a different issue OoPpEe.
            It is not the weapon icon I was complaining about.
            It is the ammo icon (not the big one on the lower left side), the tiny ones on the top of the HUD (viewsize 100 !).

OoPpEe,
            you only have max. 2 ammo types per slot.
            But the ammo icons are always showing the original ammo view.
            Why you dont switch to the alternate ammo view, when using the weapons with alternate ammo ?
            And why does the grappling hook switch to the alternate ammo view ??
            That makes no sense to me.

The mission pack 2 does this correctly.
            Example:
            When I switch to the lava nailgun, the "R_INVBAR1" ammo view must be shown.
            When I switch to the nailgun, the "R_INVBAR2" ammo view must be shown.
            This has nothing to do with the ibar.tga.
            It is overriden in MP2 by above mentioned textures.

Please correct this, as it is a bug in my eyes.

The weapon icons are OK for me.
            You can use the same weapon icon for every weapon in one slot.
            But the alternate ammo view (R_INVBAR1 / 2) should be implemented.
            Weapon icons are totally independent to R_INVBAR1 / 2.

Kind regards,
            Seven

PS: Most probably you are referring to this point in your above post, thats why I should stop spamming this thread now. Please be easy with me my friend.
            Last edited by Seven; 04-23-2011, 04:14 AM.

Comment

I said ibar as that's the texture that's used to replace the invbar's. As when I did delete it from my gfx folder - it ended up using the old original instead of the higher res one I had installed.
              The MultiRL/Plasma/MultiGL all now use the bar1 again. Doing the Nailguns next. I had to find a way to make the weapon scrolling work again as I had to make those weapons use their original IT_(weapon-name) to do this as it's engine side - thus resulting in me making checks in the weapon scrolling (cycling just requried a single edit).
              For the Grapple using bar1 - cannot fix that's engine side and is part of the original design of the weapon. (Boot up Rogue in CTF and it does the same thing).

We both misunderstood eachother I did know which you were talking about (see my 2nd last paragraph). My last just stated I used Rogue for the large ammo icons as without it, those wouldn't appear.

As those weapons I mentioned are done, I will have another release likely later today.

I am changing something that will change the Lava/Multi/Plasma guns a fair bit. Upon pickup of a RL/NG/LG you will no longer earn any ammo for them - just the normal gun. Reason for this is due to the randomized ammo - which is needed to add those guns to id1/SoA. A normal RL ammo will 25% of the time be Multi (% could increase though). So in DoE the Multi ammo appears much more. So for it I will be making the Multi ammo be the standard ammo 25% of the time too. So in some cases in DoE you could get less Multi-Ammo but you will have more standard ammo.

Comment

Updated test out
                Address the Invbar issue Seven mentioned. This sadly does make the Lava/Multi/Plasma to have their own icons on the HUD again. That is hardcoded into the engine - so modders of HUD will have to make a duplicate texture to override the old rogue weapon icons.

The "Remember weapon" hasn't been touched as it is a added game-play feature. I may add a separate impulse command which will always bring out the first weapon in the slot.

The "Grappling Hook" showing the alternate ammo slots when it's out. That's a engine feature too, sadly cannot fix it. Although it was a standard feature for the Grappling Hook in MP2.

As I had to do some HUGE editing to the weapon cycling for the Nailgun/SuperNailgun/GL/RL/LG slots - please give these slots indepth testing. I've fiddled around and I appear to have them working, but others can easily catch something I've missed.

Comment

Did come across one thing that can make MP2 playthroughs possibly more difficult in some cases.
                  With the weapon randomizations - it's possible to NOT get the standard nailguns and explosive weapons when you are initially are intended to get them. It's overall not a big issue as you will earn the weapon in the next level or whichever - but sometimes not. However if you don't get the standard - you will earn a weapon that you were never intended to have in the first place:
                  ex) GL -> QTest GL or Prox Launcher

However if this does become a issue, I can add the feature to have the QTest weapons use the alt ammo too.
                  So you can have a QTest Lava (Super) Nailgun, QTest Multi RL/GL and Multi-Prox Launcher (works the same but explodes with cluster bombs instead). Currently the Chain Lightning can also unlock the Plasma Gun - BUT I can easily make a alternate Plasma Gun too (maybe a BFG equal - more damage, 2 plasma ammo, slower flight).

Although this results in even MORE weapons resulting in 30-31 weapons.
                  If I do add them:
                  QTest Multi-GL -> Functions similar to the standard but will fire off to the side like the standard QT-GL. Maybe to add more difference - as the weapon is defined as a "Prototype" the speed and range the weapon fires the projectile will be reduced.
                  QTest Multi-RL -> Again similar to the standard, but would have the very increased RoF. Maybe to add more difference - as the weapon is defined as a "Prototype" the speed of the projectile and it's cluster will be reduced.
                  QTest Lava-NG -> Fires Lava Nails like it should. No real difference aside from that. If I was to make it different - very minor speed reduction (next to none).
                  QTest Lava-SNG ->Like the above, same changes.
                  Multi-Prox Launcher ->Fires like usual. The projectile would have a yellow glow instead of red. When it detonates - it's identical to the Multi-Grenade explosion.
                  ChainLightning PlasmaGun ->As the PG is unlocked by having the LG in your inventory and also having Plasma Ammo available - I did do the same with the Chain Lightning. However if I was to make a alternate PlasmaGun via unlocked by Chain Lightning with Plasma Ammo - it'd be a "BFG". 2 ammo used like before. 150-200% more damage over the original on initial impact (chains will do the same) but it will be 50-75% the speed of the original and projectile will be bigger too.

So these are the options:
                  Keep it as is. Which allows more randomized difficulty too as you can be stuck unlocking the alt-ammo guns later but earn a weapon you were never intended to have instead or use my above suggestions.

However I would like to hear what would be a better suggestion for ChainLightning + Plasma Ammo. Keep it as unlocking the standard Plasma Gun or have it unlock the Alternate version - and for this - I'd like to hear other suggestions too.

Comment

ChainLightning PlasmaGun

this sounds like a cool idea

i was wondering about gibable corpses and rain effects entering the mod.

umm...i think there's enough types right now without alternates for qtest weapons.

maybe try some damage and rate of fire tweaks to make each qtest weapon seem different....just a suggestion.

Comment

Hello OoPpEe,

I must admit, that I lost your train of thought (lost the plot) while reading through the aboves post.

But I want to tell you my opinion as far as I understood it:
                      I would NOT go the way with even more weapons.
                      Even the 24 are a little too much (for my personal opinion).
                      Reason:
                      I remember me playing FPS with many weapons.
                      In the end I used maybe 25% of them.
                      Didnt you make similar experiences ?
                      I dont switch weapons for every situation I face.
                      The normal shotgun or Qtest shotgun for example:
                      I will quickly learn during gameplay which one i like more, then I will always use it for near combat.
                      Even more if it uses the same ammo.
                      Having 24 to cycle through is already pain when using your mouse.
                      Having 31 makes not much fun in my personal opinion.
                      Just to have a slightly different effect ?

It is OK, if you have some weapons that you ought to have little later.
                      For one map you will have it earlier. OK.
                      Next map the random drop starts again

This is how I see it from my point of view.
                      It is just my opinion.

Kind regards,
                      Seven

Comment

Well having all 25/31 weapons in a single episode playthrough isn't likely. Like Episode 1 alone you will never earn:
                        LG, Plasma, Chain Lightning, Plasma2 (Chain Lightning with Plasma ammo), Mjolnir, Laser Cannon, Enforcer gun.

Episode 2 - you can earn some of them, however due to how often the LG appears - earning all is overall impossible. Repeat for the others.

Reason for the input was due to the possibility of earning the QTest Nailgun instead of the Nailgun, usually the gun only appears once in a map. So you could pick it up, and there can be various Lava Nail ammo around - but you can't use it. Then there's the rare chance the next map - the Nailgun again could be replaced with the QTest Nailgun which results in the same thing. So that's why I figured making them too support the alt ammo.
                        However this does result in the issue above - weapon cycle can become a b*tch with all those weapons. I've considered adding in a max weapon carry but that will cause more annoyance than good. So left that out. Presently the only option I can think of is overall suggesting the "weapon toss" impulse. That way if you find the version of the gun you like - you toss the other away. I will make a weapon toss bind which tosses the weapon away with NO ammo, so you're not "punished" for discarding a weapon you don't want. Would be useful for co-op and you're low on ammo. Can drop the extra Nailgun you have so your teammate has it (but has to go and pickup ammo).

With this it's hard to find the balance. Having all the guns available was the main idea of the mod. Being able to play id1 maps with Mission Pack weapons thrown in and then playing either Mission Pack with the alternate Mission's weapons thrown in too. Then QTest guns added simply because they were part of Quake's history and many of us old schoolers did enjoy them (I did play QTest back when it was first released), and some of us never experienced them. I myself prefer the QTest Nailgun and RL over the retail ones.
                        However with this high weapon count, results in the issue you said. You can run into the issue of in the rare chances having 20+ weapons and then the weapon cycle becomes tedious.
                        The main "work arounds" are the whole weapon limiting. Like being able to hold only 1 (primary) version of the NG - so if you have QTest's - you cannot pick up the standard until you toss the other. However that then forces a user to "toss weapon"
                        The other is the same as above but does it automatically. However that again would anger players as they may just want to walk over the other for ammo and NOT drop their current version of the Nailgun.
                        The last (and more what I am leaning towards) is the "No ammo weapon drop" so you can toss the version of the gun you don't like - without losing ammo. This does again force the user to later switch to that gun and then toss it, however allows them to pick the gun up for it's ammo.

Figure the last is the best too as like for myself I love the QTest Nailgun over the id1 Nailgun. However I love having both in my inventory. The QTest version is ideal for taking out a single enemy, the id1 is much better in groups due to the split between the nails. So limiting/force-drop = bad.

So presently the "no ammo weapon drop" is the best choice. However am open to more suggestions as this forces the player to drop the gun manually if they wish.

Comment

Did some more working on, project has been kinda put on hold as ShadowBorg is doing a update to his weapon tutorial for the Expo - the same tutorial I used to allow these weapons. So Don't wanna have to redo everything lmao.

Now when I was testing out my Horn of Conjuring model I did notice it (obviously) doesn't spawn DoE enemies. I also did notice that is actually in reality only spawns a small selection of enemies:
                          Dog
                          Ogre
                          Fiend
                          Shambler

No others enemies I've seen ever spawn and to that's a VERY small selection. So I'd like some input on this:
                          Should I make it capable of spawning any enemy (minus bosses obviously) and underwater enemies.
                          Or should I make it only spawn select enemies and if so which enemies?

I also want to make this powerup available in DM/CTF however not in the sense of spawning a enemy to work alongside you but something randomized. Basically a random powerup. Pick it up and when the horn sound plays you can get quad damage, pent, ect. I was thinking of making capable of giving the player ANY powerup (including bio suit and scuba suit). This could make it a very powerful powerup or a useless one (getting scuba suit on a map with no thunderbolt or water for example).
                          This sound good or what do you think would be better?

Comment

Dear OoPpEe,

Reading the code in "HIPSPAWN" reveals the process behind the Horn.
                            The ".spawnfunction" declares which creature will be spawned (as you surely know a zombie is also declared).

Regarding your 1st question:
                            I remember, when I played Mission Pack 1 the last time (around 10 years ago), that in Single Player the spawned creatures was not random.
                            It was adjusted to your progress in the game.
                            So the first time I found the horn, a small and helpless dog was spawned.
                            He was killed quicker than I could see him. LOL

But I would keep this idea in your mod as well, because it would be unfair if a shambler would be spawned the first time you find the horn.
                            He would kill all enemies for you (cause there are only weak ones in these early maps).

Spawning water creatures would not be a smart thing to do, cause the horn is never in water as far as I remember.

And a spawnpoint for the horn itself, can only be changed via the bsp file itself or via .ent file:
                            {
                            "target" "4000"
                            "origin" "-840 1744 992"
                            "classname" "item_hornofconjuring"
                            "spawnflags" "2048"
                            }
                            So you could spawn a horn inside water, but I would avoid it, cause if you decide to go with random creatures it can happen that an eel is spawned on land. Which may not be useful.
                            Or you "if...then..." it out of your code (depending on situation)

Other than that, fell free to spawn them all.
                            It doubles the fun and the excitement.

Regarding your 2nd question:
                            Your idea for multiplayer is brilliant.
                            Making the horn a random item spawner !
                            But please a little more likely to get a positive item rather than a negative (wetsuit).
                            That is much more exciting and really fun in multiplayer.

Kind regards,
                            Seven

Comment

The Horn does randomize, load up hipdm1 in SP and pick it up, see what it gives, restart and pick up again. Repeat 5 times and you'll get different setups. Just did (except more than 5) - I got a Shambler/Dog, Ogre/Ogre, Fiend/Fiend, Ogre/Fiend, Dog/Dog. That map spawns 2 enemies so it's possible that I could of got a Shambler/Shambler combo but it took 9 restarts to get one of them - but is possible to - even on the first Horn pickup in the game - it can happen. Make a save at the first pickup of it and then pick it up - reload save - repeat. Eventually you can get the Shambler.
                              It can spawn a zombie? That surprises me as in non-modded SoA he'd basically be unkillable but looking above the Shambler's spawn code he can appear. I wonder why I've never had him spawn in my years of Quake - unless in his code he gets replaced (will check when I get home).

So code shows: Dog, Ogre, Shambler, Fiend, Zombie
                              That's still a very small selection. Need some DoE enemies in there too.
                              Which enemies should be able to spawn? I will obviously keep the very strong with low percentage.

Edit: About the water, yes that's why I said water and bosses shouldn't be spawned. A Eel and Rotfish *could* operate outside of water - basically just act like a Scrag in movement really. For a "useless" factor with a low percentage I could try and make them too spawn but instead they'd flop on the ground and die shortly after lol

Comment

Working...
                              X