DP material creation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DP material creation

I've done some work with the glossy maps and found that they could greatly improve game's look.
    Here's some screenshots.

I've already edited about 100 id's textures and not so many are left to do.
    With these glossy maps copper starts to look as actual copper and not as "something dirty-orange with greenish spots". The same is about iron stripes on wooden doors and columns and so on. Textures uses alpha-channel, so not all glossy surfaces do look like a glass.

I think I'll finish in a couple of days.

Looks interesting!

Comment

Okay here is the result:
      id1 material creation for DarkPlaces.
      Textures are in DDS format, so they work fast and require a small amount of hard disk space, but this format needs GeForce 6*** or later to work properly with some of these textures.

I've also added reflecting surfaces for a couple of already existing textures and fixed z_exit normalmap and some reflect-textures from REFLECTING_OVERLOAD pack (could be found in "Finished works" section).
      You'll be need to add these instructions into the shader file to make new reflecting textures work:
      Code:
      twall2_6
      {
      	{
      	animMap 5 textures/twall2_6_1.tga textures/twall2_6_2.tga textures/twall2_6_3.tga textures/twall2_6_2.tga
      	rgbGen identity
      	clampTexCoords
      	tcMod scale 0.25 0.25
      	}
      dpreflectcube textures/cubemaps/twall2_1

{
      		map $lightmap
      		blendfunc add
      		tcGen lightmap
      	}
      	{
            	map $lightmap
            	rgbGen identity
          	depthFunc equal
      		//blendFunc GL_DST_COLOR GL_ZERO
      	}
      }

twall1_1
      {
      {	map textures/twall1_1.tga
      	clampTexCoords
      	tcMod scale 0.25 0.125
      	rgbGen identity
      	depthFunc equal
      	}
      dpreflectcube textures/cubemaps/twall2_1

{
      		map $lightmap
      		blendfunc add
      		tcGen lightmap
      	}
      	{
            	map $lightmap
            	rgbGen identity
           	depthFunc equal
      	}
      }

z_exit
      {
      {	map textures/z_exit.tga
      	clampTexCoords
      	tcMod scale 0.5 0.5
      	rgbGen identity
      	depthFunc equal
      	}
      dpreflectcube textures/cubemaps/slip1
      	{
      		map $lightmap
      		blendfunc add
      		tcGen lightmap
      	}
      	{
            	map $lightmap
            	rgbGen identity
           	depthFunc equal
      	}
      }
      Last edited by FC Zvyozdochka; 04-08-2012, 11:32 PM.

Comment

Very nice!
        WARNING
        May be too intense for some viewers.
        Stress Relief Device
        ....BANG HEAD HERE....
        ---------------------------
        .--------------------------

Comment

Hello, Bluntz and gdiddy62, I'm glad that you like my humble work.

Two questions to anyone who had downloaded pack:
          -have you had any problems with mail.ru fileserver?
          -do these glossy textures reduce game's performance?

I'll also release glossy pack for SoA in about a week.

Comment

I've downloaded after 2-3 minutes of trial and eror clicking Download speed was good.

If only you have enough video ram, performance hit will be minimal.

You should upload tga versions as well ( and webangel should too ):
            - someone may want expand/improve them, for example the gloss is way too strong for me I would like to adjust it for my taste, dds is far from lossless format,
            - someone may have enough vram to run them uncompressed,

What tool do you use to compress to dds ?
            Quake HD: Embrace the decline and have some guilty pleasure with it, or join a club for monocled gentlemen at quaddicted and play Quake the way it's meant to be played.

Comment

Hello, Smith.
              You should upload tga versions as well ( and webangel should too )
              No porblem, I'll do this evening.

What tool do you use to compress to dds ?
              I used native NVidia plugin for the Photoshop which allows to save files as DDS.
              Nvidia also have a plugin for creating normalmaps using bumpmaps, might be useful for someone.

- someone may want expand/improve them, for example the gloss is way too strong for me I would like to adjust it for my taste, dds is far from lossless format
              Yeah, I spent a lot of time adjusting glossiness' force but result is still not perfect in some places. At first I wanted to add glossiness to the gray metal, but it looked so weird that I deleted those textures at all.
              At least I did what I want with copper textures - they have greenish areas of stain, and I made them non-glossy at all. Now it is easy enough to only adjust them.

Comment

Hello,

we already spoke about .dds in another thread several days ago.
                It is a quite common format and almost every picture editor can handle it.

Simply choose: "Save as..." and choose .dds
                If your picture editor does not have the .dds option, then simply download the plugin.

My freeware "Paint.Net" also has it:

... I love this picture

But anyway, I am also not a fan of .dds format.
                There are still too many issues with it, when you want to do something with them in specialized programs (especially when they are a little older). Then you start to convert them back to another format and the quality loss is unavoidable...

Best wishes,
                Seven

Comment

As I've promised, I uploaded original TGA files in the archive - click.
                  I've also found out that rune textures are really TOO MUCH GLOSSY, but it is only seen good under bright light. So I'll reupload them later when I'll get the right result.

But let me tell a word about DDS - this format could be lossless, it is only need to choose specific option in converting program or graphics editor. NVidia plugin has such option.
                  And DDS already contains mipmaps, maybe this fact could increase performance, because it eliminate the need for engine to create mipmaps from original texture? I think engine coders could tell us.
                  Last edited by FC Zvyozdochka; 04-09-2012, 12:06 PM.

Comment

not bad, pretty neat, especially the dragon door looks a lot more awesome now with your gloss map.

btw there is no need at all for people to edit the reflecting_overload shader file,
                    you can just add a new shader file where you paste in those instructions and include that with your files, that'll work fine too

just make a new txt file, edit it with notepad, and then at top click 'file' > 'save as' and then at 'save as type' select 'all files'
                    and then in 'file name' put the name of the file and add '.shader' at the end of the name and itll save it as a shader file

darkplaces is capable of reading more shader files at same time so itll use both shader files

btw it took me a few days before i finally checked out your thread cuz from the name from the thread its not exactly clear at all what it is you made... id suggest renaming it to something like 'ID1 textures gloss maps' or something like it. i didnt realize at all that what you made were gloss maps even from reading the thread and seeing the pics. i thought you had just edited the textures to be lighter, it wasnt till after i tried downloaded your pack to check it out and looked into the files that i noticed that it were gloss maps you had made
                    Last edited by talisa; 04-09-2012, 01:12 PM.
                    are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
                    > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
                    everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

Originally posted by splitterface View Post
                      not bad, not everything is 100% to my liking but especially the dragon door looks a lot more awesome now with your gloss map.
                      Thank you for the feedback, splitterface!
                      Now when TGA pack is available, it is easy for edit with your preferences.
                      BTW, what exactly is not good in your opinion? It is hard for me to criticize my own work, so I need third person's opinion to see what's wrong.

the name from the thread its not exactly clear at all what it is you made
                      Maybe you are right, but I've read these articles before doing glossy maps, so I just copypasted article's title. I wanted to experiment with colored glossy maps containing alpha-channel, and here is the result.

darkplaces is capable of reading more shader files at same time so itll use both shader files
                      Yeah, I knew that, but I like to keep all shader instructions in one file
                      Last edited by FC Zvyozdochka; 04-09-2012, 02:48 PM.

Comment

hmm some have to high gloss imo, mainly the metal on the end gate door is a bit to shiny, and a few more have to high gloss. but except for that pretty much all of them look totally awesome

and for a lot of textures you could perhaps do some work to make the difference between highest gloss of texture and least glossy parts bigger. cuz a lot of textures seem to have pretty much the same glossy-ness all over the texture

so try working on those to make the difference between most and least glossy higher just like you did with the rest

btw to what you said... i personally dont care myself about having all the stuff in one file, i prefer them seperated, makes it more easier to disable or replace just one part without having to mess in other files too.
                        just like i have with a lot of things, like i prefer all my multi-skins each seperated so i can more easily replace one without having to touch the others, have each of them seperately in their own pk3

and ive repacked your gloss maps myself into a pk3 for myself with its seperate shader file
                        Last edited by talisa; 04-09-2012, 03:25 PM.
                        are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
                        everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

Does DP also allow specular exponent maps?
                          If so, you could not only vary intensity but also specular falloff on a perpixel level, that would allow you to do many neat effects.

Puddles of water for example have very tight falloff on the water, but the edges might be more dry. When you combine that with differences in intensity you can get some really good looking specularity. Ideally you would story the specular albedo as rgb and the exponent as alpha and compress that to a dxt5 dds.

Comment

Originally posted by splitterface View Post
                            hmm some have to high gloss imo, mainly the metal on the end gate door is a bit to shiny, and a few more have to high gloss.
                            This is almost redone, I've already mentioned this fact.

and for a lot of textures you could perhaps do some work to make the difference between highest gloss of texture and least glossy parts bigger.
                            Okay, but some of these textures really have basically the same glossyness over the whole area. Others are to be redone.

Originally posted by Spiney
                            Does DP also allow specular exponent maps?
                            If so, you could not only vary intensity but also specular falloff on a perpixel level, that would allow you to do many neat effects.
                            It allows, and I used different levels of alpha channel for different materials - glass, plastic and spots of blood have alpha channel set to 255, steel has 127, copper - 63 and so on. Lower values make lightspots softer.
                            Last edited by FC Zvyozdochka; 04-09-2012, 11:42 PM.

Comment

just played some quake a bit last night and earlier today,
                              and i must say i totally love all the new added gloss to lots of textures.

especially when i was playing e1m1 i was like 'omfg.... shiny! i loves it! '

i so totally love the gloss you added, they really add to the environments and make quake seem a lot more awesomes and pretty.

thanx for your effort in making the world of quake look even more pretty, hope you continue your efforts,
                              and im looking forward to any updates to your gloss maps

Comment

Working...
                              X